Hello, New girl on the block

shweedie

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Violent Ryo said:
If my analysis is correct, a good amount of females actually do play or like video games, even in the US, they just don't talk about them, especially online.

I think thats kinda sad, and a reflection of the commonly held belief that video games are a waste of time.

My sister, who I love dearly, does look down on me and my husband because we are gamers. People seem to think (at least in the US) if you still enjoy video games you have not really transitioned into adulthood (no matter if you hold down a good job and pay the mortgage).

Some of my gamer friends who are single men don't tell prospective girlfriends that they play because many of them would not date them. Don't people realize that a gamer is the perfect mate? You always know where they are, you have an instant hobby you can enjoy together, and most importantly men who are gamers are usually (there are exceptions of course) really respectful and kind hearted. I wish people would just get over it..........

aria

Former Moderator
shweedie said:
Some of my gamer friends who are single men don't tell prospective girlfriends that they play because many of them would not date them. Don't people realize that a gamer is the perfect mate? You always know where they are, you have an instant hobby you can enjoy together, and most importantly men who are gamers are usually (there are exceptions of course) really respectful and kind hearted. I wish people would just get over it..........

Most women also want a man with ambitition/prospects, or as "O Brother Where art Thou?" so eloquently put it: who's "bona fide".

Of course, they're not mutally exclusive by any means, but the stereotyped fear --on all sides of the equation-- is that the guy isn't doing anything more that sitting in front of the television or computer and generally bitching about how they can't wait to get their career started.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
shweedie said:
I do indeed. Working through Castlevania dawn of Sorrow, awesome game! Yes we have met before.

Yeah, Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite DS game. It was the first game I played since Resident Evil 4 that I couldn't put down.

shweedie

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Bobak said:
Most women also want a man with ambitition/prospects, or as "O Brother Where art Thou?" so eloquently put it: who's "bona fide".

Of course, they're not mutally exclusive by any means, but the stereotyped fear --on all sides of the equation-- is that the guy isn't doing anything more that sitting in front of the television or computer and generally bitching about how they can't wait to get their career started.

You are honest if not a bit critical. You are correct of course that people assume if you are playing video games you are not doing anything else with your life. It can be true in cases, especially with the younger crowd. I mean only to point out that there is a larger majority who find enjoyment as well as inspiration/escape from games, and therfore this female intuition is flawed. For example the recent study that found surgeons who play games have considerably better skills with the knife. After a difficult day, slashing through a few levels is an excellent way to release aggression. Much better than heading down to a bar and starting a fight. This negative stigma does not even exist in Japan as far as I know. I just wish we were free of it as well.

shweedie

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ResOGlas said:
Yeah, Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite DS game. It was the first game I played since Resident Evil 4 that I couldn't put down.

I know what you mean. I hope I don't get caught playing it at work! I just can't go that long with out leveling up a bit. Hehe

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
First off, welcome aboard! Pretty strange to actually have my wife on the boards. Also, go easy on the posting, you'll pass me up in about two weeks. :loco:

Second I want to thank the other members for welcoming her and being gentlemen. I've warned her about the "wild west" nature of this site and that anything goes here. It's nice to see that people treated her right, and we have yet to see any "STFU NOOB!!" comments. ;)

galfordo said:
Buttsex plz.

kthnxbai.

I'll also pretend that you were just trying to be funny rather than being an ass. I, like most guys, don't care what you say to or about me, but when you treat my family bad it fucking pisses me off to no end. I have a thick skin when it comes to comments aimed at me, but not my family, especially not my wife. Just for future reference.

So anyway, thanks again to everyone who welcomed her and was nice to her. :D

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ironish said:
.....and we have yet to see any "STFU NOOB!!" comments. ;)

STFU NOOB!!

ok just had to do that. hehehehehhe :lol:

seriuosly welcome aboard shweedie.

and ironish she is watching you :)

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
ironish said:
I'll also pretend that you were just trying to be funny rather than being an ass. I, like most guys, don't care what you say to or about me, but when you treat my family bad it fucking pisses me off to no end. I have a thick skin when it comes to comments aimed at me, but not my family, especially not my wife. Just for future reference.

What's the point of taking personal anything of these peoples says in here?? Let them say anything, just ignore them (which I know sometimes its kinda difficult). Why waste your time getting mad at someone you problably wont ever see?

Anyways...Welcome to the forums!!!

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
ironish said:
First off, welcome aboard! Pretty strange to actually have my wife on the boards. Also, go easy on the posting, you'll pass me up in about two weeks. :loco:

Second I want to thank the other members for welcoming her and being gentlemen. I've warned her about the "wild west" nature of this site and that anything goes here. It's nice to see that people treated her right, and we have yet to see any "STFU NOOB!!" comments. ;)

To be fair, anyone who chooses to post here is fair game for verbal assualt. It was pretty clear that he was joking and what he said IMO, was pretty minor as to what gets said around here on a daily basis.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hello. Its always good to see another bay area member. Welcome aboard.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
ironish said:

Thank you kind sir.

And for future reference, you and your wife can both suck my balls, maybe even simultaneously if you're into that.

This place isn't family fun land, and never has been, so if you or your wife can't take a little razzing, then I suggest you and yours go elsewhere.

This has been a public service announcement, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood galfordo.

Last edited:

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
Thank you kind sir.

And for future reference, you and your wife can both suck my balls, maybe even simultaneously if you're into that.

This place isn't family fun land, and never has been, so if your or your wife can't take a little razzing, then I suggest you and yours go elsewhere.

This has been a public service announcement, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood galfordo.

:tickled:

It is times like this, that I really love this place.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
This place isn't family fun land, and never has been, so if your or your wife can't take a little razzing, then I suggest you and yours go elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not saying people should be mean to each other, but this place is uncensored to say the least. There are always alternative forums with painfully boring members that have no sense of humor and thin skin, like shmups.com.

We're all like friends here, and we tease each other often. Invite whom you wish to the forums, but don't expect everyone to suddenly stop being themselves and give out special treatment.

Back on subject, If Shweedie likes spending time here that's cool. If not, who cares? This place is like a grumpy old folks home. ;)

If Ironish and his wife attended a Neo-Geo meetup they would both be treated with dignity and respect. We're all normal people here, but manners are lax on the internet. Humor, tasteless or not, is commonplace here. Most people here have been here a very long time, and most people don't seriously try to hurt anyone's feelings. No one wants to treat Shweedie bad, they just want to treat her like an NG.com member. I'm not a female myself, but members like Domino-Chan, Melchia, and ZombieSara(Nesagwa's wife) seem to do just fine around here.

Last edited:

shweedie

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I think you guys have misunderstood my husband. Neither of us would want the tone of these forums to change. I would not have joined if I didn't like it here, teasing and all. Frankly I think he was surprised that I didn't get teased more. Thats why he said "Thank you". As far as not liking to hear people be mean to his wife, he meant that generally. No man likes to see their wife picked on. Thats partly what makes men so great. You guys get all protective and territorial. I love that!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
shweedie said:
You guys get all protective and territorial. I love that!

This thread is getting sexy again....Rot sexy!
Sweets2_resized.jpg

sweetscarts.jpg

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
galfordo said:
Thank you kind sir.

This place isn't family fun land, and never has been, so if you or your wife can't take a little razzing, then I suggest you and yours go elsewhere.

Ok this is what I called...Welcome to teh Drama!:lol:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
werejag said:
damn sexy if you ask me....... joking

Joking? I'm sensing a little sexual insecurity here. I've never met a single person that didn't want to sex Rotphungte. Once you know what Rot looks like, you'll never kiss another person again without secretly pretending it's Rot, even if that person happens to be kernow. :envy:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ResOGlas said:
Joking? I'm sensing a little sexual insecurity here. I've never met a single person that didn't want to sex Rotphungte. Once you know what Rot looks like, you'll never kiss another person again without secretly pretending it's Rot, even if that person happens to be kernow. :envy:

woah ill pass for now thanks....:lol:

shweedie

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I am sure I have missed so much in the last few years not being a member here. Would any of you gentlemen care to tell me who Rot is? I think this is a story I would like to hear. :glee:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
shweedie said:
I am sure I have missed so much in the last few years not being a member here. Would any of you gentlemen care to tell me who Rot is? I think this is a story I would like to hear. :glee:

In actuality Rot's just a super nice guy from the forums that occasionally treats us with hilarious photo shoots. He's from the UK, so you can usually catch him in NG.com chat in the late night/early morning hours PST. He likes candy and long walks on the beach.