Road to Euro 2008

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So... my club 1. FC Nürnberg just beat AZ Alkmaar 2:1 !!

This is the first UEFA cup victory for of my team since 1963 ! :eek: :drool:

YES!

FCN wasn't that hot in our national league (Bundesliga) in the last couple of matches but their UEFA Cup performance was amazing so far.

UEFA Cup, Euro, World Cup, BRING IT ON!! :D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
So... my club 1. FC Nürnberg just beat AZ Alkmaar 2:1 !!

This is the first UEFA cup victory for of my team since 1963 ! :eek: :drool:

YES!

FCN wasn't that hot in our national league (Bundesliga) in the last couple of matches but their UEFA Cup performance was amazing so far.

UEFA Cup, Euro, World Cup, BRING IT ON!! :D

I just wrote out a long response about the german team and why it won't... hopefully I can write a better one now.

Germany typically seems to do well in the opening, but then suffer towards the latter stages of tournements. The team doesn't have the same magic as when they had Lothar, Jurgen, Rudi, Littbarski, and Brehme all on one pitch together. When it comes to the World Cup, the problem is that it's not going to be in Europe, and I don't think they'll break the tradition of not winnign cups outside Europe - not with the current squad.

So what's the problem? 1) They need to phase out Lehmann. Too old. The guy was playing professionally when Germany won the last world cup. Train some new talent. Germany needs a goalkeeper for the future. Besides, Lehmann isn't even able to play now. Is Hildbrant really going to be the man of the future? 2) Jurgen should push to have Bastian sent to a better league. Send him to Chelsea for Malouda, loan him somewhere else, but loan him to a better league. No offense, but Bundesliga is second teir. The best teams have their players in either Serie A or Premeirship. Bundesliga is almost as good Eredivise and La Ligua. In fact, I think there are more good teams in Ligue 1 than there are in Bundesliga. Send out Podolski too. The two guys are in the springtime of their youths, and this would help out the national team immensely. Anyhow, that is my view.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gosh Charlie, you don't cease to surprise me! :)

Didn't know you're into football... great!

I just wrote out a long response about the german team and why it won't... hopefully I can write a better one now.

Germany typically seems to do well in the opening, but then suffer towards the latter stages of tournements. The team doesn't have the same magic as when they had Lothar, Jurgen, Rudi, Littbarski, and Brehme all on one pitch together. When it comes to the World Cup, the problem is that it's not going to be in Europe, and I don't think they'll break the tradition of not winnign cups outside Europe - not with the current squad.

Oh yeah, the old days... we always got accused for our "tank football" but that was what brought us through many Euros and World Cups. The thing is, these guys were much older than the current team, more mature and had more experience in handling stress situations. Just take ace players like Breitner, Rummenigge, Briegel or Völler, they weren't a cast of show players who were brought up and nursed by the DFB (Deutscher Fussball Bund, German Football Union)... guys like them started playing football in the backyards of their hometowns when they could hardly walk and worked their way up from the kiddie leagues to the national team, garnished with lots of international experience in clubs like Real Madrid or Cosmos New York (Beckenbauer went there for a while), but not because someone told them to do so, they knew what they were capable of and made their moves in their own style.

Football has changed quite a bit since the glorious 70s and 80s, the game has become a hundred times faster, football players aren't just players anymore but athletes who have to run their guts out for 90+ minutes while still pulling off tricks like Maradona... needless to say this doesn't really work anymore once you're 35 or older.

So what's the problem? 1) They need to phase out Lehmann. Too old. The guy was playing professionally when Germany won the last world cup. Train some new talent. Germany needs a goalkeeper for the future. Besides, Lehmann isn't even able to play now. Is Hildbrant really going to be the man of the future?

Agreed, Lehmann has passed his peak a while ago, it's time for him to call it a day, he seems to be burned out to me. Timo Hildebrand on the other hand still has a lot of catching-up to do to gain international experience but he's on a good way according to goalie legend Sepp Maier, and what Maier says is true, you know. :)

2) Jurgen should push to have Bastian sent to a better league. Send him to Chelsea for Malouda, loan him somewhere else, but loan him to a better league. No offense, but Bundesliga is second teir. The best teams have their players in either Serie A or Premeirship. Bundesliga is almost as good Eredivise and La Ligua. In fact, I think there are more good teams in Ligue 1 than there are in Bundesliga. Send out Podolski too. The two guys are in the springtime of their youths, and this would help out the national team immensely. Anyhow, that is my view.

Well, let's put it this way, Schweinsteiger and the others could need a bit of fresh air. It's the money that keeps them here, that and their youth in combination with a whole bunch of technical and career advisors sponsored by those interested in keeping the guys at home in order to fuel their marketing and money-making plans. Top clubs like Bayern München may still be 2nd tier compared to other European clubs but they know what they want and mostly get it because they sit deep in the arse of Joseph Blatter (the current FIFA prez) and the UEFA council.

Ah well, I just hope they give the national team enough time to mature and maybe, maybe take a bit of steam out of the new athletical style, then we'd walk all over Europe again... ;)

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
polishFA_emblem.jpg

Poland FTW:multi_co:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
* undusts thread

ha ha

Live thread live!!

I'm really looking forward to Euro this year...

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Once the Euro 2008 Finals start this thread will be alive and kicking. I have to say I am really looking forward to seeing Poland play Germany.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So... Austria lost to Germany 0:3 (scorers Hitzlsperger, Klose and Gomez) in the first Euro 2k8 test match, next one will be Switzerland, looking forward to that one, the Swiss greatly improved over the past few years.

The match was quite exciting during first half but then the tables turned in the second when Germany increased the pressure and outplayed an exhausted Austrian team. It wasn't exactly a deserved victory from a technical point of view.

First half wasn't promising from a German perspective, there was not a lot of WC 2006-style in it that everyone was waiting for, 2nd half was okay but still nothing to write home about, our lads need to play with more confidence, they're very good players and should stop worrying and frigign' play that ball...

Oh, and it was Ballack's first match after a long time of inactivity, he performed quite well for that IMO.

Other testmatch results:

Turkey - Sweden 0:0 (0:0)

Israel - Rumania 1:0 (1:0)

Greece - Finland 2:1 (0:0)

Poland - Czech Rep. 2:0 (2:0)

Croatia - Netherlands 0:3 (0:2)

Italy - Portugal 3:1 (1:0)

England - Switzerland 2:1 (1:0)

Spain - France 1:0 (0:0)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
:crying:

Yesterday my team FCN played 2:2 against Benfica Lissabon (UEFA Cup return match)... we needed a 2-goals difference to advance but didn't make it.

Man, a 2:0 lead for us and then two goals against in the 89th and 92th (90+2)!

That was a real shock, even more as our lads dominated the match... ...until the 89th. FCN: 5 chances, 2 goals (Charisteas, Saenko) - Lissabon: 2 chances, 2 goals (Cardozos, di Maria). Shit.

Bye bye UEFA Cup, it would have been sooo nice...

Ah fuck it, GO GO Nuremberg!!! :buttrock:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:

Yesterday my team FCN played 2:2 against Benfica Lissabon (UEFA Cup return match)... we needed a 2-goals difference to advance but didn't make it.

That was a real shock, even more as our lads dominated the match... ...until the 89th. FCN: 5 chances, 2 goals (Charisteas, Saenko) - Lissabon: 2 chances, 2 goals (Cardozos, di Maria). Shit.

GO BAYERN!!!!! They took good care of Aberdeen yesterday despite struggling a little in the first leg. I believe we'll be playing Anderlecht in the next round.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:

Altough I'm a Benfica supporter, I wanted them to lose yesterday.
I simply cannot stand any longer Camacho's lineups. He's going crazy.

Despite we were lucky as hell ( Pinola's strike had to be a goal !! would have been fantastic ) you're exagerating a bit. FCN has dominated the biggest part of the 2nd Half and not the whole match.
And shall remind you that Cardozo also had an unbelivable goal chance as he was face to face with the keeper. The shot went out.

FCN's 2nd goal was pure hilarious... how come the right defender did that ? (!!!)
a totally controled situation turned in a opponent's goal...
Bah.. Getafe will crush 'em if Camacho doesn't revise his lineups/strats.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, Benfica switched to a higher gear in the 2nd half and der Club started to fall apart.

Ah well... now we have to fight to stay in the 1. Bundesliga (premier league), I really hope they find enough motivation for today's match.

I liked the quickness of Benfica, very agile players, that's for sure. Their defense sucks quite a bit though.

@kobylka, I'm not a Bayern fan at all (I live in Nuremberg, that should tell you why :) ) but have to admit they gave Aberdeen a really nasty ticket home.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Takumaji said:
@kobylka, I'm not a Bayern fan at all (I live in Nuremberg, that should tell you why :) ) but have to admit they gave Aberdeen a really nasty ticket home.

Haha thats understandable. From what I understand those who aren't FC Bayern fans in Germany hate them with a passion :p

Nuremberg have Energie tomorrow which hopefully you can get some points out of. I would honestly be surprised if you couldn't finish ahead of Armenia and Hansa Rostock.