Road to Euro 2008

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Alright fans, here's the official Road to Euro 2008 thread!

euro2k8.png

Since the qualifyings went into phase two, it's time to get the ball rolling so to speak...

The official homepage is http://www.uefa.com , check out your fave team's stats and group info there.

This thread will be kept open until the official play-offs and then either merged with a new Euro 2k8 thread or closed, depending on the number of replies.

So... fire away!

Germany played Czech Republic (both group D) on last Sat and won 2:1 (1:0), nice match. Our boys obviously still are hungry enough but the indecisive Czechs also helped a lot. Man of the match was Kevin Kuranyi with two goals... he still had a thing to settle with ex-coach Klinsmann for not letting him in the WC 2k6 team but I guess that's a thing of the past now.

I was a bit disappointed in the Czechs, they showed so much potential during euro 2k4 but had to leave WC 2k6 early and obviously still labour on their old problems.

Anyway, the next qualifying day will be come Wednesday 28th (matchday 9) with Italy - Scotland as my fave of the lot (20:50 CET, Bari, Italy)... let's see what happens, hope there won't be another hool rage...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why not, could be a cool match.

But basically I have a different dream match - Germany - Italy... :)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Nice thread. How about a Champions League one too?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ah well, Champions League... Kahn got banned from the next match vs Milan because of his tirades against doping tests, he was tested negative but that wasn't the point, they treated him like shit during the tests and so he let loose his mouth... which almost always means trouble.

In Kahn's case, he has to pay a €12,339 fine, quite hefty if you ask me. His team mate Lucio also yelled at the testers, his fine is half that of Kahn.

UEFA and FIFA have too much power IMO.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Nice thread! It's a pity Germany was beaten by Italy in semi-final in WC06. Let's see how Germany does in Euro 08.

2point0

NEST Puppet
Do you guys really think that England won't qualify for next summer's finals, or is the sweeping disapproval the quality of play from the team?

I don't think England is playing well, but I still think they'll qualify for the finals. Isn't this only the halfway point of this group stage?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kitkit.com said:
Nice thread! It's a pity Germany was beaten by Italy in semi-final in WC06. Let's see how Germany does in Euro 08.

Pity, yes, but our boys are to blame, they didn't play full-scale back then, that was all. I still don't think Italy beat us because they actually were the better team.

Specially that counter-goal by Italy was inexcuseable... god, I remember how my heart sank when I saw the Italian striker tank towards Lehmann, I knew what would happen... but that's a thing of the past, WC is over, Italy got the cup, congrats to them, end of story! :)

I hope our team will perform better this time, even though we lost a test match against Denmark (0:1) a few days ago. Loew said that was due to extensive tests with 5 or 6 new and very young players.. excuses, excuses...

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
The best news was that our young new Hungarian Team beat Moldova 2-0. :)

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
good thread indeed. about time the beautiful game gets some more mention here (and yes yanks, stay out of here :))

germany not beating italy was a shame.... i am not keen at all on the italian team. And don't get me started on Materazzi...

I am very pleased with the way sotland are playing. Having lived there for 9 years I do follow them a bit and it is good that they finally got some good management in smith and now McLeish. Berti Vogts just wasn't right for a scottish team.

Re England... they will qualify for sure. They've got the quality. Whether they'll live up to their potential however is another question.... and the answer is prolly 'no'. Far too influenced by a negative media, and it seems that most players prefer their clubs :)

Germany have a decent side.
But come to think of it, the international football hasn't got me at all exited.
I am an avid follower of the Barclays Premiership and find the internationals always an unwelcome break from club fixtures. Maybe i start to see it the same as the players now :)
I hope ManUtd win the league... and of course I hope that Werder can get their finger out in the Bundesliga

anyway, good thread, keep it coming!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
it's amazing to see people are still moaning about italy winning the world cup

they were obviously the best team and rightly won

all your whining is lame and laughable and won't change the fact they won the damn trophy for the 4ht time

and could have been the fifth ( see usa 1994 )

but it's obviously just luck and nothing else :tickled:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fran said:

all your whining is lame and laughable and won't change the fact they won the damn trophy for the 4ht time

It's cool man, just the usual football banter. :)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
I'm as big an England fan as you will find anywhere, but I have to say that we are shockingly bad at the moment, and we were poor in last years WC, in fact overall we have not performed as well as we could for a very long time. We need a decent manager more than anything.

I think we'll scrape through and qualify but with the current manager and with the teams he puts out, we will go nowhere in the tournament... as per usual really. :rolleyes:

Kaz

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kazuya_UK said:
I think we'll scrape through and qualify but with the current manager and with the teams he puts out, we will go nowhere in the tournament... as per usual really. :rolleyes:

Kaz

I really wonder why... England has so many excellent players in the premier league. Perhaps it's because they get too much money and fame... you know, the "Beckham syndrome"... :)

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Takumaji said:
I really wonder why... England has so many excellent players in the premier league. Perhaps it's because they get too much money and fame... you know, the "Beckham syndrome"... :)

part of the reason.
another is the the insane and silly media pressure in England.
the players and manager are always critised and seldom get support.
Just before the last world cup the papers made up that stupid story about then manager Sven E. talking to sheicks about buying aston villa and him then becoming their manager. I mean, to do this to your own team just before a World Cup in order to sell papers. Real stupid. But the English media always manage to unsettle the team i think

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sorry to interrupt the UEFA thread but...

fcn.jpg

pokalfinale0.jpg

Our team 1. FC Nuernberg is the new DFB Cup winner 2007!!

The match vs current League Master VFB Stuttgart took place in the Olympiastadion Berlin on Saturday at 8 pm.

Nuernberg started with lots of pressure but it did not work out very well at first when Stuttgart's Cacau (a former Nuernberg player) scored 1:0 for Stuttgart in the 20th. Seven minutes later Marek Mintal (FCN) equalized the score again, much to the dismay of Cacau and the rest of the VFB team.

pokalfinale3.jpg

Ten minutes later in the 37th, Cacau attacked Mintal with a punch to the chest and was rightfully send off with a red card.

VFB's Fernando Meira then fouled FCN star player Mintal who just came back from a recuperation phase after having been heavily injured in a League match, sadly Meira recieved no red card for his attack which sent Mintal back to the hospital for about a month or two.

Two minutes after half time Engelhardt (FCN) scored a very nice head goal (1:2) but then VFB's Gomez stumbled over FCN goalie Schaefer... ...and of course ref Weiner immediately pointed to the penalty kick mark. Pardo took care of it and equalized the score again (2:2).

In the 2nd part of overtime, Nuernberg's Jan Kristiansen nailed the box shut with his 2:3, a real sunday goal and the birth of a new legend.

pokalfinale1.jpg

Man, what a night, what a party! Nuernberg has not won a League or DFB title since 1968 and frankly none of us thought this DFB Cup thing could work but obviousy Stuttgart can't win against us, it's the third time in a row that FCN beats VFB, even though the latter is the current league master team.

For more footage and DFB Cup final reports, visit the 1. FCN homepage at http://www.fcn.de .

Die Legende lebt!! :multi_co: :buttrock:

"Ein Fels in wilder Brandung
Der alles überstand
Er hielt in vielen Jahren
So manchen Stürmen stand

Ein Fels in wilder Brandung
Ist unser FCN
Sein Stern er wird für immer
Am Fußballhimmel steh'n

Die Legende lebt
Wenn auch die Zeit vergeht
Unser Club der bleibt besteh'n

Die Legende lebt
Wenn auch der Wind sich dreht
Unser Club wird niemals untergeh'n
So vieles wird gescheh'n

Die Uhren laufen schneller
Die Zeit - sie bleibt nicht steh'n
Der Weg führt in die Zukunft
So vieles wird geschehen

Ein Fels in wilder Brandung
Ist unser FCN Sein Stern er wird für immer
Am Fußballhimmel steh'n

Die Legende lebt

Die Legende lebt

Die Legende lebt

Die Legende lebt
Wenn auch der Wind sich dreht
Unser Club wird niemals untergeh'n
Unser Club wird niemals untergeh'n"

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Fran said:

Brazil deserved it as they were actually better. but yeah, besides Brazil Italy was the only one i hoped to win it, if Brazil didn't win that is. if the Turks are playing ill be rooting for them. even though i don't like soccer or follow it.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Is it me or does no one even talk about Milan winning the UEFA, lol. To bad to cuz I was going for Liverpool, lol didnt want milan to tie my club (Boca Juniors) in international cups, oh well we'll be number 1 after the copa libertadores.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
milan deserved instead of liverpool.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Geo MVS said:
Is it me or does no one even talk about Milan winning the UEFA, lol. To bad to cuz I was going for Liverpool, lol didnt want milan to tie my club (Boca Juniors) in international cups, oh well we'll be number 1 after the copa libertadores.

FC Sevilla it is... :)

Ah well, was a nice match, too bad I had to watch in in a pub because none of our TV stations covered it.

Next Euro matches on 06/02/07 (qualifying round):

Germany - San Marino (Nuremberg/Germany, Frankenstadion, 7pm CET, I will be there!)
Kasachstan - Armenia
Wales - Czech Republic
Russia - Andorra
Azerbaijan- Poland
Island - Liechtenstein
Finland - Serbia
Macedonia - Israel
Lithuania - Georgia
Bosnia-Herzegowina - Turkey
Denmark - Sweden
Belarus - Bulgaria
Norway - Malta
Greece - Hungary
Estonia - Croatia
Latvia - Spain
Albania - Luxembourg
Belgium - Portugal
Faeroe Islands - Italy
Slowenia - Rumania
France - Ukraine

We won 13:0 against San Marino last year, it was kinda embarassing to watch to be honest... it was like a high school team vs. semi-pros...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
...and Germany won 2:1 against Slovakia on Wed.

Not the best match I've seen but oh well.

Has anyone seen the match France - Georgia? Georgia gave France a hard time, that's for sure... I really like the spirit of smaller teams like Georgia, Slovakia, etc., most of them are still hungry and always ready to fight 'til the end.