Need info on AOF 3

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I've been thinking about picking up the special edition of AOF 3 for my CDZ, but I need some info on it first. I haven't played any AOF since my agravating AOF 2 expierence and I love AOF, so how does AOF 3 hold up? Is it as agravating as AOF 2? How's the game play? What is included in the SE version? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Michael Yagami:
I've been thinking about picking up the special edition of AOF 3 for my CDZ, but I need some info on it first. I haven't played any AOF since my agravating AOF 2 expierence and I love AOF, so how does AOF 3 hold up? Is it as agravating as AOF 2? How's the game play? What is included in the SE version? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
AOF 3 is one of my fave games.
It is nothing like AOF2.
The emphasis is on juggles , reversals and knockdowns...
You can't block standing attacks while crouched...
Really huge characters graphically with good animation...

Refreshingly different... wink

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay... from a fanboy, no, admirer of AoF3, here are some bits of info:

AoF3 simply rocks my world. It's one of the best fighters I've ever played, and it looks brilliant. The animations are super-smooth because of motion capturing, which has been used for the first time for this game. The many frames of animation however require to plan most of your moves because some of them have serious lags. Btw., the CD-quality soundtrack of the Neo CD version is simply AMAZING. Nu-Jazz on Neo, but not limited to that - you have to hear it to see what I mean. drool

A lot of techniques in AoF3 involve counter-gameplay. Once you forget about playing the game like KoF and find out the strong points of your favourite chara, you will breeze trough it and have big fun while fighting in front of wonderful backgrounds. The game is not so much about doing supers all the time, it's about mastery of your normal- and command-moves, and finding out about your chara's rush combos (which are flexible string combos, like fwd+A,A,B,b+C, but most of them can be re-sorted and performed in a different order).

Some ppl say AoF3 would feel stiff; well, that's basically because they obviously didn't try to cope with the engine too well. Some moves cancel/stop other moves. For ex., if you do a normal standing A and press B immediately afterwards, the A poke will be cancelled. Same with A or B closely followed by C. This is why string combos that start with A,fwd+B.... are difficult to pull off for some. On the other hand, this is the basis for most juggle or corner-juggle combos. If you remember that principle, your combos will be monstrous.

Oh man, there's so much to say about AoF3... there are Instant Deathes as well, the so-called Ultimate KOs. This can be achieved by killing an opponent with a (S)DM if his energy is less than 10%, the fight ends and you're the winner... also there's lots of hidden stuff to be found. New anim frames for the charas that appear randomly, and even special events for "birthday characters". Yes it's true, on their birthday, the charas can do unlimited DMs. I guess this is random as well, but it's a very cool idea.

And I could go on and on...

The AoF3 CD special edition is a very good pickup IMO. It contains the game itself with a colored CD label, a small artbook, a package of cool stickers of various characters and logos, and to top it all off, a replica of Robert's coin that he tosses in the air after a fight.

Load times on CD are bearable if you switch off demo mode after you've seen all the fine graphics. You won't see the after-fight screens, but the game will load much faster.

IMO, you can't compare AoF2 and 3. AoF3 is not an easy game, but once you find out how to play it right you will see that it's a lot more "fair" than 2.

S

SAMHAIN

this is one of my all time faves,i constantly play this one also..

anyone that says this game suck,obviously cant get a feel for the engine..

its way above aof 2..

you can pull of sik combos,and specials fairly easy,yet the sdms arwe a bit hard.

graphically this game is one of the best ever,the end boss wyler is a muscle bound loon,who fights in a grave yard with crows flyin..fkn beautiful..

the cuts are pretty cool if you use robert or ryu..

the ending is one of the best i think..

man trust me once you get a gfeel for the system you will get hooked on it...

ilove usein karmen cole,he kicks ass!

if you get the cd try and get the one with roberts coin..

Michael Yagami

SAMHAIN:
graphically this game is one of the best ever,the end boss wyler is a muscle bound loon,who fights in a grave yard with crows flyin..fkn beautiful..
That alone makes me want to get AOF 3! Thanks for the input guys. Looks like AOF 3 will be my next buy.

Mike

Super Porky

Camel Slug
I just got this game on MVS the other day and damn is it good. The animation is fabulous with huge sprites. You should definately look into adding it to your collection.

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Great animation, nice Game too!

It´s one of my All-Time-Favorites yet!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
AOF3 is one of those games that you will either love, or hate.

Personally, I love it.

It's easily one of the best looking games on the neo, sporting MOTW quality animation and some of the best backgrounds ever in a fighting game.

It plays very similar to previous AOF games by having to charge up to perform special attacks, but other than that, that's where the similarities end.

For one, the game plays surprisingly very fast, mostly thanks to the unique combo system, which is very fun to use once you catch on. Best thing I can compare the system to is one found in a 3-D fighting game, they are stringed and most are easily executed by simple button presses like "f + A, A, f + A A C" is an example. But of course there are a fair share of really hard and complicated ones to pull off, but once you get it down they aren't that hard.

And you don't have to worry about this game being like AOF2, the AI isn't nearly as cheap. So you won't be breaking any joysticks on this one.

My only main gripe is with the character designs, most of them are pretty plain and uninspired, which is a shame since it's such a good looking game.

But that's a small complaint to an otherwise great game, buy it now.

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Average Joe:
1.] AOF3 is one of those games that you will either love, or hate.

2.] Personally, I love it.
1.] That´s true!
2.] I love it too! wink

Michael Yagami

Average Joe:
And you don't have to worry about this game being like AOF2, the AI isn't nearly as cheap. So you won't be breaking any joysticks on this one.
That was my biggest concern. I love AOF, its probably one of my favorite fighters of all time, but AOF2 was insanely hard. With all the good reviews you guys have given I'll definetly be adding AOF 3 to my collection very soon. Thanks!

Mike

S

SAMHAIN

oh and dont forget,when you knock down your opponent,you can jump on em,grab there hair and punch em in the face for that extra pain..

oh one more thing,theres 2 bosses,ones a gypsy girl in a glass windowed library with the moon outside,and you can knock books off the shelf...upoun fighting her a chandeliar falls down from the ceiling and smashes between you 2

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x:
Don't forget to use Cole.
No way, Lenny is where it's at.

What a babe.

edit: the link to Lenny's gif won't work frown

<small>[ February 21, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

Super Porky

Camel Slug
Is it true AOF 3 on NeoCD has smaller sprites than the MVS/NHG version? I thought I read that somewhere.

S

SAMHAIN

Takumaji:
Okay... from a fanboy, no, admirer of AoF3, here are some bits of info:

AoF3 simply rocks my world. It's one of the best fighters I've ever played, and it looks brilliant. The animations are super-smooth because of motion capturing, which has been used for the first time for this game. The many frames of animation however require to plan most of your moves because some of them have serious lags. Btw., the CD-quality soundtrack of the Neo CD version is simply AMAZING. Nu-Jazz on Neo, but not limited to that - you have to hear it to see what I mean. drool

A lot of techniques in AoF3 involve counter-gameplay. Once you forget about playing the game like KoF and find out the strong points of your favourite chara, you will breeze trough it and have big fun while fighting in front of wonderful backgrounds. The game is not so much about doing supers all the time, it's about mastery of your normal- and command-moves, and finding out about your chara's rush combos (which are flexible string combos, like fwd+A,A,B,b+C, but most of them can be re-sorted and performed in a different order).

Some ppl say AoF3 would feel stiff; well, that's basically because they obviously didn't try to cope with the engine too well. Some moves cancel/stop other moves. For ex., if you do a normal standing A and press B immediately afterwards, the A poke will be cancelled. Same with A or B closely followed by C. This is why string combos that start with A,fwd+B.... are difficult to pull off for some. On the other hand, this is the basis for most juggle or corner-juggle combos. If you remember that principle, your combos will be monstrous.

Oh man, there's so much to say about AoF3... there are Instant Deathes as well, the so-called Ultimate KOs. This can be achieved by killing an opponent with a (S)DM if his energy is less than 10%, the fight ends and you're the winner... also there's lots of hidden stuff to be found. New anim frames for the charas that appear randomly, and even special events for "birthday characters". Yes it's true, on their birthday, the charas can do unlimited DMs. I guess this is random as well, but it's a very cool idea.

And I could go on and on...

The AoF3 CD special edition is a very good pickup IMO. It contains the game itself with a colored CD label, a small artbook, a package of cool stickers of various characters and logos, and to top it all off, a replica of Robert's coin that he tosses in the air after a fight.

Load times on CD are bearable if you switch off demo mode after you've seen all the fine graphics. You won't see the after-fight screens, but the game will load much faster.

IMO, you can't compare AoF2 and 3. AoF3 is not an easy game, but once you find out how to play it right you will see that it's a lot more "fair" than 2.
just curious about the birthday secret..

tak,would that be avalible when the date is set into the mvs board,i mean if i go into the calender and set the date on say karmen coles b-day,would it be usable

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Michael Yagami:

Mike
Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden is great.
Yet the CD version is shitty.
But the Special Edition package is cool mercahndise item anyway, and at least. buttrock

Thornspawn

n00b
Super Porky:
Is it true AOF 3 on NeoCD has smaller sprites than the MVS/NHG version? I thought I read that somewhere.
Yes, its true.

The CD also features another menu, where you can change your favorite fighter (colour, strenght, etc.).

Baratoz

Zero's Secretary
Looking for an AoFIII combo vids?

Look in the video section at<a href="http://www.neogeoextreme.emuita.it" target="_blank">NGX</a>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Baratoz:
Looking for an AoFIII combo vids?

Look in the video section at<a href="http://www.neogeoextreme.emuita.it" target="_blank">NGX</a>
Benvenuto, Baratoz.

Molto piacere. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SAMHAIN:
just curious about the birthday secret..

tak,would that be avalible when the date is set into the mvs board,i mean if i go into the calender and set the date on say karmen coles b-day,would it be usable
Yep, AFAIK the MVS calender triggers it if you set it on the birtdate of one of the fighters. On homecart and CD, the birthday secret has to be random because there's no way to set the current time & date.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This game is pretty fun. Somebody said people who say the gameplay feels stiff are the people who haven't gotten used to it. I have to agree and disagree. I agree that after playing it for awhile, you do get used to it. When you become especially good at it, such as learning the juggles and combos, it seems to become second nature. However, every time you get knocked down, there seems to be 20 frames of animation with you flipping over. This looks cool for the first few times, but it gets annoying after awhile. It really does detract from the gameplay, regardless of what anybody else says.

The animation is very slick, maybe too slick. The roster, however, lacks in my opinion. The characters seem uninspired, save a few. The story is alright, but nothing really special. Overall, I really think AOF2 is the best in the series. All are fun in their own way though. Each game has something special that the other hasn't to warrant owning and playing over and over again.

For 298 megs, this is one hot looking game. If you doubled the size of this game, you could have AOF4, which has double the roster which both old and new characters appear. Incredible backrounds, music, and animation (just nothing with the capture). You can look at other higher meg count Neo games that scratch your head wondering what the hell they did with it all.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
This is one of the best Neo Geo fighting games. If you liked any of the Art of Fighting games you will love this one because it is the best one in the series. I love the combos and backgrounds. Especially in the Mexican stage where there is a party going on in the background. This game also has some of the largest characters in fighting games that I have ever seen. I was selling this game for awhile but it is sitting in my collection now. Very good game and recommend paying the price if you can afford it!