What is the Connection between ROTD and DOUBLE DRAGON?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
What is the connection between ROTD and DOUBLE DRAGON? The two games were developed by completely different companies weren't they? Are any of the characters remotely related?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
tsukaesugi:
What is the connection between ROTD and DOUBLE DRAGON? The two games were developed by completely different companies weren't they? Are any of the characters remotely related?
Take a look at my review I wrote about RotD, it contains additional info about the relation between the different Double Dragon games.

<a href="http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama/reviews/rotd.txt" target="_blank">Linky</a>

tsukaesugi

Takumaji:
Take a look at my review I wrote about RotD, it contains additional info about the relation between the different Double Dragon games.

<a href="http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama/reviews/rotd.txt" target="_blank">Linky</a>
I had a feeling you might answer my question, danke Takumaji.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I actually like the original DD better, it has this classic feel and was one of the earlier awkward fighters. It gave a few new things a try. I actually liked the original. I couldnt stand ROTD. I am weird like that.

tsukaesugi

Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
I actually like the original DD better, it has this classic feel and was one of the earlier awkward fighters. It gave a few new things a try. I actually liked the original. I couldnt stand ROTD. I am weird like that.
I've only played the (ahem) rom, and even then it was only for a few minutes before I gave up.

As for the original side scroller, that was, and still is, one of the only games I could finish on one quarter.

I had no idea the three games (side scroller, Neo DD, and ROTD) were all related, and I was really surprised to hear that Billy and Jimmy were the same two characters I played in the side scroller all those years ago.

So, my new question is, who owns the rights? Did Taito/ Technos sell them to Playmore?

slerch666

updyke,
Here's an interview where one of the developers discussed why they couldn't really call the game a "Double Dragon" game: <a href="http://www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon/evogainterview.htm" target="_blank">classic gaming interview</a>.

Sounds like Taito (or some other company) still owns the rights to the Double Dragon name and Evoga/Playmore "cheated" by using the same characters (name wise anyway, like Billy and Jimmy and Abubo) but NOT calling it Double Dragon and changing their appearances somewhat to avoid any legal BS.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo DD is a cool game that I play regularly. It offers some nice ideas, and it's fun, tho the engine is blunt. A few of the backs are really nice (for ex. the arcade or the water stage). It's just mad fun in 2P with all that double jumps, cheap supers, the charge mode, various breakable stages and all the cheasy characters from various DD storylines.

About the rights to the DD series, I guess Evoga licensed certain things of the DD intellectual property, such as the dragon story, the characters Jimmy, Billy and Abobo, etc. Sadly they didn't update the original DD sidescroller series so far. Would have been cool to get a DD 4 on Neo... drool

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
It feels like the licence went to waste. You couldn´t even recognize Jimmy, Billy or Abobo. Just by the names.

slerch666

updyke,
cgun:
It feels like the licence went to waste. You couldn´t even recognize Jimmy, Billy or Abobo. Just by the names.
Here's a section from the interview I posted:

"Dojo: Is it true you attempted to get the rights for the Double Dragon franchise, but couldn't use any of the names. If so, what happened?

Evoga: We develop the game as a sequel to the NEO GEO game, but for different reasons we made some changes in order to make the game more attractive and with a more actual fashion, because of this we did not use any of the characters or designs of the old NEO GEO version."

So it sounds like they changed the characters to give them a "fresh" appeal. Evidently, in your case, this isn't what happened at all.

I like the character designs on ROTD, even though they weren't really all that original.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
On a side note, Tecnos, which closed shop in 1997, is back in action.

And I'm wondering if they will have the rights to their old games, or if they sold everything...

tsukaesugi

I went back and played the Neo DOUBLE DRAGON last night. I couldn't even recognize Billy and Jimmy. They looked like two completely different characters.

I guess that explains why their character designs in ROTD were so plain. All the other characters seem so funky-looking, but Billy and Jimmy just seem to be the two standard 'street-fighting dude' types.

BTW, in DOUBLE DRAGON, isn't one of the characters the girl who you had to rescue from the bad guys in the original sidescroller?

I though that it was pretty funny that in the Neo DD you're squaring off against her in combat...

Oh, there's my girlfriend. I guess I'd better go beat the crap out of her.

John

Ghost of Captain Kidd
tsukaesugi:
I went back and played the Neo DOUBLE DRAGON last night. I couldn't even recognize Billy and Jimmy. They looked like two completely different characters.

I guess that explains why their character designs in ROTD were so plain. All the other characters seem so funky-looking, but Billy and Jimmy just seem to be the two standard 'street-fighting dude' types.

BTW, in DOUBLE DRAGON, isn't one of the characters the girl who you had to rescue from the bad guys in the original sidescroller?

I though that it was pretty funny that in the Neo DD you're squaring off against her in combat...

Yeah, well, the Neo DD seemed to be based on the cheesy movie with Robert Patrick as "Koga Shuko" and Alyssa Milano as Marian. There are basically three Marians:

1) Original Marian. Submissive, needs to be rescued.

2) Cartoon* Marian. She's a cop. That pretty much sums it up.

3) Movie/NG Marian. Badass.

*Yeah, they had a cartoon for a few years, but they threw out most of the goons, only leaving Abobo (in the first two eps, then he wound up in the mural** :( ) and possibly the machinegun guy. Instead, they had guys like Trigger Happy, who had a gun on one hand, and Jawbreaker, who was supposed to be an Abobo substitute. The end of each episode had a summation of the "lesson learned" from the ep, which wound up being some common-sense stuff.

**The Shadow Mural was basically made up of those who had failed and/or defied the Shadow Master. At some point, all the "helper good guys" got zapped into it while Billy and Jimmy were in another dimension. That's an actual other dimension, not a metaphor for death. :p

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi:

Same thing goes with Yuri in AoF2, actually! wink