How many rounds do you play?

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Mainly for fighters, I like to go the full match limit, with 3 bouts as the minimum. And always with the time deactivated, for fights to the death...

I like to achieve a gruelling gladiatorial-type of game, and I find it gives you more stamina and endurance during rounds, as well as patience. When I'm with 2 or 3 of my friends, we usually do this, but not when theres large groups that want to join in the fight as well.

Yes, its quite exhausting at times, but it makes victories seem more deserved than quick matches. And anyways, most fighting games I play with my pals are quick and furiously paced, so it kinda evens it out a bit. And who likes cheesy time out victories?(except for single player games of course :D )

I'm somewhat of a marathon-like fighter...
So how about you? How many rounds and time limit?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I like playing
the normal 3 rounds(2 wins) when I just
got a new game, so that it takes
less time to beat it...
But after I've had a game for a long time I like playing up to 5 rounds(3wins).

I like fighting games timed with 60 secs, KOF
Style.

<small>[ February 15, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: xtoo_short20x ]</small>

slerch666

updyke,
I always play 3 rounds (2 out of 3 wins) and leave the time limit wherever it is set. In some games I suck so bad I HAVE to win with time... frown

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I set the time count to infinite and the rounds to 3.

Mike

Tetsuo311

King's Dry Cleaner
WhEN PlaYIng a VicTim Er...a FrIend I SEt thE TIme LimIT to INfinIte and The MaTches To 3. WHEn I pLaY the CoMPuter I Set THE diFFiCult to MaximuM aND RouNds to 1.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
When I get a new game, the first thing I want to do is see all the endings, so I set the difficulty to one, and the set point to one as well, put the time on infinite, then start playing.

I usually pick the main character first (the Ryu/ Haomaru/ Terry type) then work my way through all the other characters after that.

This is why ROTD pisses me off... even after setting it to easy I still can't beat it! Johann is the only boss I've never beaten, so I've never seen any of the endings.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
5 wins to win the match with cpu or human.

60 sec rounds with cpu or human.

Highest difficulty vs cpu.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
tsukaesugi:
When I get a new game, the first thing I want to do is see all the endings, so I set the difficulty to one, and the set point to one as well, put the time on infinite, then start playing.

I usually pick the main character first (the Ryu/ Haomaru/ Terry type) then work my way through all the other characters after that.

This is why ROTD pisses me off... even after setting it to easy I still can't beat it! Johann is the only boss I've never beaten, so I've never seen any of the endings.
Hmm Johann isn't so bad with either Radel or Pepe. Radel's jump kick alone is enough to beat him, often. Pepe can do a jump kick and string his air kick special move into it for a 3 hit combo. The jump kicks with combos linked in! That's the key. Nothing fancy... Try it out! Time out jump kicks with maybe a trip thrown in after. I'm sure you can do it like that. I suck at fighters and I beat him that way many times.

$hockwave

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Michael Yagami:
I set the time count to infinite and the rounds to 3.

Mike
same here i do not like having timers since sometimes you cannot even finish your opponent off with a finishing move or get a cheap win since it stops automaticly even if you are in the middle of a combo. and i dislike playing cpu as it is o soo much more fun to kick a buddy's ass and to toy with the newbie's that do not play fighters.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
dmhawkmoon:
Hmm Johann isn't so bad with either Radel or Pepe. Radel's jump kick alone is enough to beat him, often. Pepe can do a jump kick and string his air kick special move into it for a 3 hit combo. The jump kicks with combos linked in! That's the key. Nothing fancy... Try it out! Time out jump kicks with maybe a trip thrown in after. I'm sure you can do it like that. I suck at fighters and I beat him that way many times.
lol, you gave me advice before so I sat down one afternoon and tried it out. I still couldn't beat him! (sigh) Oh well, I'll try again. Thanks for the tip though DMH

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
tsukaesugi:
dmhawkmoon:
lol, you gave me advice before so I sat down one afternoon and tried it out. I still couldn't beat him! (sigh) Oh well, I'll try again. Thanks for the tip though DMH
If you're tired of Johann's cheapness, do the same with him, cheap him out. Try this:

Choose Lynn and Elias, with Lynn as your first chara.

When the fight starts, immediately back out at least a screen length away.

Start throwing C fireballs at Johann. He will block the first few, but then rolls towards you through your projectile. This is your chance now; he will either do his energy blast DM or his heavy kick attack, but all you have to do is jumping in, kicking him high, then low (crouching), quickly back out, repeat. If you time it right, even the DM won't hit you.

So, that's (with Lynn):

Back out a screen length -> qcf+C -> jump-D -> crouch-D -> back out a screen length (repeat until Johann is dead).

Adjust your timing if necessary, and only start to jump when Johann is rolling, otherwise he will block and grab/counter you.

The tactic is the same with Elias. He also has a projectile attack, and again I found that it works best with the C version.

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
Johann is a scrub, when you get to him he´s lost. I think he may be one of the easiest bosses ever in terms of patterns.

Just rush him and put him in the corner. Jump just so you´ll hit him when he gets up and the continiue with a combo, great if its combined high/low hits but it works anyway. Just repeat and he´s dead. Or just play aggressive and take him down, if you move around alot he´ll drop his guard ans start jumping and throwing out moves without reason. Just nick him... :)

mog

Bead Banger
I play default. Changing that makes the strategy of play completely different from that of the arcade or competition. More than 2 wins puts less pressure on the player to perform, infinite time allows turtling that wouldn't fly in a real environment. Both seriously cut down on aggressiveness, and lead to a lax in ability from my experience.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
mog:
I play default. Changing that makes the strategy of play completely different from that of the arcade or competition. More than 2 wins puts less pressure on the player to perform, infinite time allows turtling that wouldn't fly in a real environment. Both seriously cut down on aggressiveness, and lead to a lax in ability from my experience.
Yeah, you have some good points there, especially how it would be in an arcade environment.

But I treat the home console versions of fighting games different from the arcades, as I only play friends I know at home, and total and complete strangers at the arcades. You don't know if the guy you're facing at the arcades is good or a complete novice, and there's only one machine there, don't want to make others wait too long, etc...

But with friends, you know you're getting good competition, and you want to just play intense, concentrated rounds with lotsa combo action and skills. Usually its a blast when we play. Sure, you won't get better playing the same opponents repeatedly, but you have a greater chance of having fun than at the arcade, which varies at times.

Max rounds and infinite time would not be good at arcades, I agree...

Though I'm the opposite with single player mode; I like to set the match to one with fast time, and with the highest difficulty.

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i always play team matches in kof, and i always try to sweep the other team with my first guy as quick a possile. there's nothing more satisfying then knowing you can crush soemone's best team with one guy.

as for one on one fighters i always do a two round minimum, and go for broke every time.

Terry Power

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Infinite Time, and 5 matches(to play for leisure), 1 match(play to see the endings).

<small>[ February 21, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Terry Power ]</small>

mog

Bead Banger
Cnidarian:
mog:
Yeah, you have some good points there, especially how it would be in an arcade environment.

But I treat the home console versions of fighting games different from the arcades, as I only play friends I know at home, and total and complete strangers at the arcades. You don't know if the guy you're facing at the arcades is good or a complete novice, and there's only one machine there, don't want to make others wait too long, etc...

But with friends, you know you're getting good competition, and you want to just play intense, concentrated rounds with lotsa combo action and skills. Usually its a blast when we play. Sure, you won't get better playing the same opponents repeatedly, but you have a greater chance of having fun than at the arcade, which varies at times.

Max rounds and infinite time would not be good at arcades, I agree...

Though I'm the opposite with single player mode; I like to set the match to one with fast time, and with the highest difficulty.
Me and about five or six of my SFIII playing friends used to play a lot on infinite time, 3 wins, low damage. It was alright and we were getting really good, but when it came tournament time we ate it. I think it was partially because we'd been being laxed on the settings and were used to having more time to screw around.

So I guess I'm more personally against it, since I don't think that most people play fighting games just to compete :D