Prehistoric Isle 2 - Boot or No?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well i bought a copy of prehistoric isle 2 off ebay with a shockbox and insert for about $120 last week. It showed up today and you guessed it, theres a windowed rom right on the top. The case is translucent green so you can see it clear as day. Anyhow the other roms on the board are all toshiba chips and look like the real deal. It has 2 different colored pcbs, one black and one green(kinda like metal slug x). The case is cracked in a few spots and he used masking tape to hold the cart together in places. I'm abit shocked to be honest, the cart isn't even in good condition :/ Anyhow what do you guys think? Did i get screwed or what? I'm almost 100% sure i did but i just wanted to be sure before i make an ass of myself(too late maybe? hehe)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xmods said:
Well i bought a copy of prehistoric isle 2 off ebay with a shockbox and insert for about $120 last week. It showed up today and you guessed it, theres a windowed rom right on the top. The case is translucent green so you can see it clear as day. Anyhow the other roms on the board are all toshiba chips and look like the real deal. It has 2 different colored pcbs, one black and one green(kinda like metal slug x). The case is cracked in a few spots and he used masking tape to hold the cart together in places. I'm abit shocked to be honest, the cart isn't even in good condition :/ Anyhow what do you guys think? Did i get screwed or what? I'm almost 100% sure i did but i just wanted to be sure before i make an ass of myself(too late maybe? hehe)

Sounds to be legit .....I think you may have got hosed on the price due to the =(The case is cracked in a few spots/masking tape to hold the cart together in places)
I would of been Pissed if I had not known about those details.(at that price)

Now if I knew those details and paid that much then it's on my to live with it..thus I'd just enjoy playing the game,glue the case or re-case it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I would make a claim about it dude. Is this the one from videobroker? I dont remember it saying that in the auction about the cracks and tape. All I remember his him saying that his father collected Neo Geo carts. File a claim with Paypal, item not as described.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yes that is the one. I actually contacted him about it this afternoon. I paid $98 + shipping so its not as bad as i thought. But anyhow he has offered to give me a refund and i will probably be taking that. I did offer to take the cart off his hands if he wanted to give me a partial refund due to the cracked case and bootleg rom on the pcb. The boards are also different years. One is 94 the other is 99, so i'm thinking it must have been a repair. There is only 1 rom on the cart that looks bootleg but its in plain sight. Anyhow i'm thinking it was repaired and they used 2 different carts from different years to fix it. The soldering job on the 1 rom chip is terrible :/ Anyhow i'll prolly just end up sending it back and getting a refund as i was hoping to get a legit version for that price. Anyhow i appreciate the feedback and will let you know how it turns out. :)

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Xian Xi said:
I would make a claim about it dude. Is this the one from videobroker? I dont remember it saying that in the auction about the cracks and tape. All I remember his him saying that his father collected Neo Geo carts. File a claim with Paypal, item not as described.

You know the funny thing is i contacted him and he said he bought it like that and didn't know it was a bootleg. But in the description he says his dad bought it. Kinda odd that his dad would be a neo collector and let his son sell it all, but hey, who am i to say?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I never had this cart to compare to..
But:

The one chip doesn't necessarily mean it's a boot,nor the different boards...I have legit carts with different boards.

I think your cart might be legit,if anything a repair if all the other chips are real..

What I'd like to really see is a picture of the boards,to get alook at it and deide if if it's a boot or now.
IMO,right now this doesn't really sound to be a boot yet..

..............If it was a boot,I'd pay no more then 25 for it as your going to get stuck with it/if you decided to keep it via partial refund.....And only if it worked perfectly.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
xmods said:
Yes that is the one. I actually contacted him about it this afternoon. I paid $98 + shipping so its not as bad as i thought. But anyhow he has offered to give me a refund and i will probably be taking that. I did offer to take the cart off his hands if he wanted to give me a partial refund due to the cracked case and bootleg rom on the pcb. The boards are also different years. One is 94 the other is 99, so i'm thinking it must have been a repair. There is only 1 rom on the cart that looks bootleg but its in plain sight. Anyhow i'm thinking it was repaired and they used 2 different carts from different years to fix it. The soldering job on the 1 rom chip is terrible :/ Anyhow i'll prolly just end up sending it back and getting a refund as i was hoping to get a legit version for that price. Anyhow i appreciate the feedback and will let you know how it turns out. :)

You need to learn more about MVS. 2 boards from different years is not grounds to be accusing it of bootness.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I did not accuse it of being a boot because of the 2 different year pcbs inside, i only stated that to give you guys as much pertinent info as i could. Like i said it looks like a repair but he did not disclose any of the damage or that it was a repair prior to selling it to me. If he had i would have no problems what-so-ever. Now this matter has been taken care of, i contacted the seller and he is issuing me a partial refund for the damages and i will be leaving him positive feedback because of his honesty. I did not accuse anyone of selling me a boot, i simply asked if anyone else thought i got ripped off. Xian seemed to think i did, but then i explained why i might not have and that is where i left it until today. I've got quite a few mvs carts so i'm not new to this, i just wanted somebody else opinion. This has been by far the most expensive game i've bought and i didn't want to be screwed with a bootleg for the price i paid. Anyhow this is over so this thread can be deleted.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Also in a previous post i stated that the pcbs were 2 different colors like metal slug x. I've had 3 legit copies of metal slug x and all 3 had different color pcbs inside. So i'm well aware of the fact that some games may have different colored pcbs inside, thats not a big concern, i prolly shouldn't have even mentioned it. Anyhow its not a big deal and this is all cleared up now. Thanks to all those that offered their opinions :)

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
xmods said:
I've got quite a few mvs carts so i'm not new to this.

Whether you own the entire MVS library or not, the fact that you joined here within the last month says you're new to this to me. Also the fact that you asked the question you did also shows you are new. There is no need to get all defensive, I was just stating a fact.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Cool,cool..:buttrock:

Let me know how you like the game,,

I've never played this particular title before..

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Its really fun. I've only played it a few times but from what i've played so far its challenging and extremely fun to play. Its got some killer grafix and theres plenty of action on the screen without any slowdown. Most shooters have you blazing through the level but this game actually has you do a couple mini games on each level. One of the mini games is you can rescue people that get left behind or somehow ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only problem is its pretty hard to go through the level without dying and getting them to a rescue chopper. Another mini game that will crop up from time to time is you get to defend the rescue choppers as they are being loaded with people. Usually you'll see 20-30+ people come from all over the screen to get to the rescue chopper, its pretty neat. But anyhow while its being loaded they are being attacked and its your job to make sure as many people get rescued as possible. At the end of each level you get the standard "big boss" and then its on to the next level. I'm sure theres some more stuff to come as i've only played it a few times, so i'll let you know if i find anything else neat about it. Anyhow its well worth your time to hunt down a copy. I'm more than happy with this repaired copy i've got, i just replaced the cart and she looks good as new :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
xmods said:
Its really fun. I've only played it a few times but from what i've played so far its challenging and extremely fun to play. Its got some killer grafix and theres plenty of action on the screen without any slowdown. Most shooters have you blazing through the level but this game actually has you do a couple mini games on each level. One of the mini games is you can rescue people that get left behind or somehow ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only problem is its pretty hard to go through the level without dying and getting them to a rescue chopper. Another mini game that will crop up from time to time is you get to defend the rescue choppers as they are being loaded with people. Usually you'll see 20-30+ people come from all over the screen to get to the rescue chopper, its pretty neat. But anyhow while its being loaded they are being attacked and its your job to make sure as many people get rescued as possible. At the end of each level you get the standard "big boss" and then its on to the next level. I'm sure theres some more stuff to come as i've only played it a few times, so i'll let you know if i find anything else neat about it. Anyhow its well worth your time to hunt down a copy. I'm more than happy with this repaired copy i've got, i just replaced the cart and she looks good as new :)

Awesome!!!:buttrock:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Pictures of xmods Prehistoric Isle 2

Wow!..
Very Nice!!....

Cover up that Eprom-window..(black tape

100_2649PSI1.jpg

100_2650PSI2.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
where's the pics of the cracked shell and tape job?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I changed cases with another game i had with the same color case. I removed the sticker with a heat gun and reapplied it to the new shell. It looks almost brand new now. I still have the old case but its pretty sad looking. The top part is taped and the legs that keep the spacing are broke. I've got some shells on the way from jmkurtz so the game i borrowed the case from will be back in service here soon. Anyhow the case in the pic is the newly replaced one, so its got no cracks or tape on it. The main reason i changed cases was because the original case fell apart one of the times i took the screws out to clean the pcbs inside(they were very dusty, not nearly as clean as the photos above). So basically i didn't have a way to play the game unless i just stuck the boards in my machine, but i didn't want to do that, so i borrowed a shell from another game that i don't play as much. Anyhow its lucky i had a case the same color :)

Xian Xi said:
where's the pics of the cracked shell and tape job?

Last edited: