450-in-1 bootleg board

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Anyone come into contact with one of these...saw one on ebay and was curious. Its got a lot of later Cave stuff on it. Sounds kinda cool in theory and easier than setting up a mame machine in a vert cab.

Anyone messed with one?

brumma

NEST Puppet
I haven't messed with one, but I did get an email from Yaton about them since I've bought from him before. I don't know if that's who you saw selling them, but apparently he's got them as well. It looks to me like a hardware version of MAME...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
brumma said:
I haven't messed with one, but I did get an email from Yaton about them since I've bought from him before. I don't know if that's who you saw selling them, but apparently he's got them as well. It looks to me like a hardware version of MAME...

Yaton's selling those 48-in-1 classic boards. This is 450-in-1. Has Batrider, Battle Bakraid, DoDonpachi, etc on it.

brumma

NEST Puppet
Hmmm... sorry. I just got an email from him yesterday, but I deleted it. I could have sworn it was this 450-in-1... Anyway, I guess that doesn't really help you.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
interesting. I emailed excellentcom and got a PDF listing of whats on the board. Its definitely a hardware MAME setup....not that thats a shock. Most games on the board are early-mid 80's stuff. Only stuff I cared about on it:

Batrider
ESP Ra.De
Dangun Feveron
Guwange
Donpachi
DoDonpachi
Gunbird
Dimahoo
Tatsujin 1 and 2
Strikers 1945 1 and 2

thats really all thats worth a damn on it. Probably better off just getting a JPAC or something. Although, the setup-free aspect is tempting.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
i'd be curious to see whats included on the board as well, i'm PMing you my email if you could send it along.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Quit being a slacker and buy the JPac and Arcade VGA and build one yourself. If that boards crap out on you (which they're known to do), you'll have a very expensive paper weight. I knew someone who bought one of those 999in1 boards, and it broke like 4 weeks later. The hard drive crashed, and since it didn't come with any install CD's, he was screwed. $450 down the drain.

Just my 2cents.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
billd420 said:
Quit being a slacker and buy the JPac and Arcade VGA and build one yourself. If that boards crap out on you (which they're known to do), you'll have a very expensive paper weight. I knew someone who bought one of those 999in1 boards, and it broke like 4 weeks later. The hard drive crashed, and since it didn't come with any install CD's, he was screwed. $450 down the drain.

Just my 2cents.

you are right....damnit

although, this one is supposed to be "card based - more stable", whatever the hell that means.

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
you are right....damnit

although, this one is supposed to be "card based - more stable", whatever the hell that means.

I was in the same position that you are about a month ago. I couldn't decide which to get... bootleg vert PCB, or parts to build a mame PC. After weighing all of the options (the deciding factor for me was the ability to update mame), I went with the mame PC.

I went through and hand assembled a full set of vert only games, all with screenshots and a nice GUI that can be controlled with only your control panel. If you do decide to get the mame PC up and running, drop me a PM, I'd be happy to share my vert-mame gui and shots/roms set with you.

Peace,
Bill

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
you are right....damnit

Probably an Intel X-Scale based board used to run a MAME emulator, with the ROMs stored on an SD card. I've seen similar setups.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'd love to see/mess with one. But I think Bild is right....a MAME PC is probably a better route.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
68k said:
Probably an Intel X-Scale based board used to run a MAME emulator, with the ROMs stored on an SD card. I've seen similar setups.

Yeah I'm pretty sure those 450-in-1's that ECL sells are along the same lines as the Counter-top SNK mini-arcades innards. I wonder if Mame has been modified on those 450-in-1's so it doesn't say mame anymore. Also, I wonder if the program code is stored on a flash card, or if its burned to a flash rom. I would imagine that the roms are on the flash card, and maybe even screen shot previews.

-B