Rate It! : Rage of the Dragons

What do you rate ROTD?

• Total voters

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I thought I would make this one since I always see mixed reviews on it. I do own this game it is one of my faves on the system. I do wish the fighting system was a tad deeper but it still works for me.

The inventory or moves is pretty good:

Supers
Surrenders <---Interesting feature
Duplex attacks
Counter Attacks
Tagging
Line Sway

So what do you rate it? And please elaborate what you dont like about it.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
I gave it an 8.

I would agree that it isn't the deepest fighter, but I always enjoy playing it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I don't really play Fighters anymore but I always kind of liked ROTD.

It's just silly and stupid fun like WW7, WH, Breakers or Matrimelee.

amano jyaku

Kuroko's Training Dummy
8 for me too!

the only bad thing about this game is the practice mode : in fact it's just a fight versus the CPU! if you want to practice combos, forget it!!

forgetting this, this game is really cool! charismatic characters, it's ( really ) speed, , etc...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
amano jyaku said:
it's ( really ) speed, , etc...

Ya really, dont play KOF98 after you play ROTD. It was hard to adjust.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
sorry never played it. I don't have any experience with this game. Oh well, just fixed the neo at my school. Going to go play MS3 or KOF2K3.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This game came out around a world of hype. Everyone was expecting HUGE things from it, like it would be the next MotW. It released to awesome sales, came out with a poster and tshirt. The tshirt was a nice touch too. Actually better than the game itself.

What was wrong with the game? Half the roster was garbage. Radel looked like a huge retard, Annie was a huge retard, Kang was ugly, Elias looked stupid, Cassandra was not dressed for a fight...

Pepe, Pupa, Abobo, Jimmy, Lynn, Sonia and Mr. Jones were dope ass characters and pretty fun to play, but most of their moves were just not inspired/dramatic. That's why people like to play as characters in KoF - your attack is not just a move, but a series of events. For example, you're playing as Kyo in KoF 2003 and you do QCB+B, the attack is interesting to watch, the opponent is lifted, there's a pause where you can soak it all in and appreciate the beauty of it all, or go into a longer combo. Follow through, just like in basketball, tennis or golf - it's not just the point of impact, but what you do after that makes it beautiful. This didn't exist in the Noise Factory games. Direction was lacking. This was also a huge problem I had with any Samurai Shodown after III. Moves lost beauty. The concept of a follow through was forgotten.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I voted 6.
The good:
Tag team, wire attacks, story line is okay for a fighter, chain combos can both help beginners and add depth to experts' combos, nice looking attacks for some characters, engine is overall not bad

The bad:
The CPU is way too easy on any difficulty once you figure out the patterns it always falls for (I promise I will record and upload videos of this sometime, it's just retarded) except for Johann who doesn't fall for them, lots of the characters' speech is unintelligible (compare to KOF where you can hear every syllable clearly, most of the time anyway), backgrounds are way dull, the music sounds too low-quality due to being presampled, there could be more attacks per character, most attacks are dull (wasabi mentioned this).

Was it worth the $75 or so I paid for a kit back in the day? Well yeah, but I can't help but think the "fun" I had with it was kind of forced to justify the price; my brother and I played it a lot regardless.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Agreed, but I still gave it 8, because I'm a Double Dragon sucker and I enjoy the game's zanny factor, also Khan and Jones are hilarious.

Johan is a bitch to beat.
wasabi said:
This game came out around a world of hype. Everyone was expecting HUGE things from it, like it would be the next MotW. It released to awesome sales, came out with a poster and tshirt. The tshirt was a nice touch too. Actually better than the game itself.

What was wrong with the game? Half the roster was garbage. Radel looked like a huge retard, Annie was a huge retard, Kang was ugly, Elias looked stupid, Cassandra was not dressed for a fight...

Pepe, Pupa, Abobo, Jimmy, Lynn, Sonia and Mr. Jones were dope ass characters and pretty fun to play, but most of their moves were just not inspired/dramatic. That's why people like to play as characters in KoF - your attack is not just a move, but a series of events. For example, you're playing as Kyo in KoF 2003 and you do QCB+B, the attack is interesting to watch, the opponent is lifted, there's a pause where you can soak it all in and appreciate the beauty of it all, or go into a longer combo. Follow through, just like in basketball, tennis or golf - it's not just the point of impact, but what you do after that makes it beautiful. This didn't exist in the Noise Factory games. Direction was lacking. This was also a huge problem I had with any Samurai Shodown after III. Moves lost beauty. The concept of a follow through was forgotten.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Line Sway
What? Ain't no line sway in RotD.

Anyhow, I give it the completely unscientific score of 7. It's fun...I still play it from time to time.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
The fighting system is broken to hell. I hate the dial a combo feature.
Some of the characters are cool, but there are some horrible ones as well. Like
Wasabi said, we were expecting a lot but we only got an average game. 6.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Who do you think is worse, Johan or Ult. Rugal?
Ult, Rugal meaning Omega from 95 or 98? If it is 95 I think he's harder, if it's 98 I think Johan is harder. At less you are speaking of CVS2 Rugal which is easier for me than the previous ones.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
What? Ain't no line sway in RotD.

Anyhow, I give it the completely unscientific score of 7. It's fun...I still play it from time to time.

Uh yes there is, A+B. THats called line sway, I hope you are not thinking of plane shift.

There's so many better fighters out there, some are classic and well some just didn't have a chance to grow. Rage's characters are uninspiring and well just overall....boring. Never got into it and I'm a huge fighter fan, I gave it a 5.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I always thought ROTD was a sweet game. Everyione always bags it but it has some good elements. The tag system makes it fun for me. Plus the parry makes for some interesting fighting. nice combo system. Good controls. Many characters. I think the main gripe is that people cry cause johan is too hard. I don't see the problem really

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
kitkit.com said:
Never like the characters and the game. I give it a 6.

same here. When I first got it I played it non stop for a a few days, then I realized the combo system is really limited, and then just got bored of it.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I used to have own Rage of the Dragons on MVS and I had alot of fun playing it and I plan on getting it again. I gave it a 7. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gave it a 4.

I wanted to post a link to the RotD review I wrote and wanted to send to Bobak to put it in the ng.com review section but can't find it anymore... damn...

EDIT: Found it - click here.

Anyway... to make a long story short, RotD is an okay game that is fun at first but gets incredibly boring as soon as you have learned its ins and outs which includes the bigger team combos, linking into and out of CD strings and wall breaks.

It's easy to get into, looks decent (I kinda like the chara design) and the music is really excellent (and undoubtedly the best part of the game), other than that, it failed to impress me gameplay-wise.

Matches by skilled players tend to be repetitive due to unbalanced damage of normal attacks and small combos and the more flashy stuff - you simply have to try to land one of the bigger wall breaks + CD string + DM in order to dish out considerable damage, and since this isn't really challenging after a short while of practice, it's not as rewarding to use all that stuff as, say, landing a nice super-cancel in KoF.

There's more esoteric gameplay stuff (including combo cheapness and balance issues) to be said about RotD but I spare you guys my usual litany this time... let's just say the game could have been so much more in this regard.

Sure, RotD may be nice for casual players and fooling around with some buddies but it's nothing that could hold a more serious player's interest for longer than a few days, if at all. I give credit to the dev'ers for trying to come up with something new, it was a brave decision to release a game like that when the Neo world was still shocked by SNK's demise.

So, I bought the homecart on release but regretted it after a while when I realized that RotD would never make it to my personal lists of classics. Now it sits on the shelf and gets played about once a year, if at all... but hey, at least the RotD purchase got me a nice blue t-shirt (size M... "JPN M" that is...) which I gave to the wife, she still wears it so I couldn't even sell a complete RotD because she would never give it back to me... :)

Matrimelee which came out after RotD was much, much better, and it's my #1 recommendation for those who want a newer fun-fighter with some depth and overall good presentation. On the other hand, the Neo already has some of the better fun-fighters like Waku Waku 7 or World Heroes Perfect, personally I would get these first before spending lots of money on half-assed stuff like RotD.

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Gave it an 8. Underrated fighter IMO. It's good fun with friends, and doesn't have a steep learning curve.

The music is pretty awesome in it too, especially Papa/Pupas schoolyard stage. I read somewhere that they utilized more sound channels or than any other neo game before it. Probably why it get so crunchy I think my speakers are going to explode.

-2 for not being a deep enough game and for not having as many characters as I would like. I am spoiled with some of the KOF series in that aspect.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I gave it an 8!

I just love the characters, the stages, the combo system and i love the graphics & Music!

I think people were just so dissapointed because it came out after MOTW they were expecting something on par with it.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
ROTD gets a 5 from me. I had huge expectations for this game, none of which were met. The gameplay is busted, its nowhere near balanced and the dial a combo just kills the whole thing. Add to that the fact that Johan is an overpowered faggot and you get an overhyped, overpriced game that really isn't worth the paper its insert is printed on.