Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

B

Bootaaay

I've mostly been playing Mushishime-sama recently, I love the arrange mode (despite the fact that it kicks my ass) - also i've been playing a bit of Triggerheart on XBLA and Sengoku Blade on the Saturn.

OldSchoolGamer

Living teh 'Murican dream
I just got Blazing Star for MVS. Been playing that a bit. On Level 4 I can ace level 1 and die twice on level 2...and I loose my last guy on level 3. Hopefully I can get better soon!

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
I've been playing mostly obscure Japanese PSX games lately, and this SHMUP really surprised me. It may look stupid, but actually it's great fun and very well made with many small details to make the player smile.

I've been playing it on my PSP (PSX emulator via custom firmware) and it's a lot of fun. It's called:

Time Bokan Series: Bokandesuyo

bokandesuyo2.jpg
bokandesuyo5.jpg

bokandesuyo6.jpg
bokandesuyo10.jpg

bokandesuyo8.jpg
bokandesuyo9.jpg

Very Air Zonk'ish in style, but even crazier I think! And it also has Yattaman cartoons between levels - they're very wacky and I have no idea what anyone is saying, but it's still enjoyable.

Here's a good review with screenshots (it's what turned me onto this game).

http://users.pandora.be/twin-dreams/PSone/Bokandesuyo.html

There's also a prequel to this game which I also have played, and it's excellent as well. It's called Bokan To Ippatsu! Doronboo Kanpekiban.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
califoreigner said:
the smurf blessed me with galuda 2 about a week ago so i've been playing it.. religiously :lolz:

KKHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Kiken

Camel Slug
Batsugun (regular version on Saturn): Still getting my ass handed to me in stage 4.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Omega 5 on XBLA. I really do not like how this game controlls. I am so used to a 2D traditional shooter.

GAMEFAN

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
After over a year of looking to get Summer Carnival '93 cheap, it finally landed
on my doorstep this morning. Great game from what I have seen so far.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
trigger heart was great on xbox live. Also tried last hope recently on DC not to impressed really, challenging but otherwise bleh. Tons of shmups to play on my new dc though can't wait. Tried last resort again for the first time in some time meh.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Diggerman said:
I've been playing mostly obscure Japanese PSX games lately, and this SHMUP really surprised me. It may look stupid, but actually it's great fun and very well made with many small details to make the player smile.

I've been playing it on my PSP (PSX emulator via custom firmware) and it's a lot of fun. It's called:

Time Bokan Series: Bokandesuyo

bokandesuyo2.jpg
bokandesuyo5.jpg

bokandesuyo6.jpg
bokandesuyo10.jpg

bokandesuyo8.jpg
bokandesuyo9.jpg

Very Air Zonk'ish in style, but even crazier I think! And it also has Yattaman cartoons between levels - they're very wacky and I have no idea what anyone is saying, but it's still enjoyable.

Here's a good review with screenshots (it's what turned me onto this game).

http://users.pandora.be/twin-dreams/PSone/Bokandesuyo.html

There's also a prequel to this game which I also have played, and it's excellent as well. It's called Bokan To Ippatsu! Doronboo Kanpekiban.

NICE! That game looks like fun! I'll see if I can get the iso somewhere. If you have more obscure PlayStation games, tell me about them through PM!

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Piratero said:
NICE! That game looks like fun! I'll see if I can get the iso somewhere. If you have more obscure PlayStation games, tell me about them through PM!

It sure does look fun. The art reminds me of Pink Sweets almost with some of the larger enemies.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I feel like shooting the fool that won that baseball blast city. Hows that for a shooter.

oh, and luda

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
alec said:
I feel like shooting the fool that won that baseball blast city. Hows that for a shooter.

HAHAHAH totally agree

I played about an hour of Under Defeat last night. Great game, I just wished all the bullets were purple or something, they get lost behind smoke and shit too often.

Dreamcast w/agetec....I wish I had the Naomi version :(

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Took a little break last night from Muchi Muchi Pork and fired up some Mushihimesama Maniac for a couple hours. Man, I forgot how great maniac mode was. I was going to pick up Death Smiles in a couple months, but now I'm leaning more towards Futari.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Just got my Japanese Ps2 and some games like Espgaluda, Mushihimesama, and Dodonpachi DOJ. Major sensory overload. Still wanna get Ibara, Gradius and R-Type Final.

Gotta say though...after so much time playing my DC in VGA, its taking me some time to adjust to the Ps2....I gotta at least step up to s-video or component. hopefully that'll make the picture significantly sharper...or maybe even some upscanner for my monitor...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
neo_moe said:
Just got my Japanese Ps2 and some games like Espgaluda, Mushihimesama, and Dodonpachi DOJ. Major sensory overload. Still wanna get Ibara, Gradius and R-Type Final.

Gotta say though...after so much time playing my DC in VGA, its taking me some time to adjust to the Ps2....I gotta at least step up to s-video or component. hopefully that'll make the picture significantly sharper...or maybe even some upscanner for my monitor...
There is such a beast, a component to vga adaptor and then use that disc that makes all the games run in HD and you'll be all set.