Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I've got Galuda stages 1-3 down pat - no stupid deaths. Stage four is a gauntlet though, and I need to figure out the trick at the boss where you skip over some bullet patterns to get between the two train cars early for massive damage. I'm sure I could just tap the bomb button for invincibility, but there's got to be a way to get there without wasting the bomb gauge.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Disney's TaleSpin (NES) - 1CC

Quick and easy. Still going to count it though. :smirk:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Sylphia on PCE and V-V on arcade PCB. Need to squeeze in an evening on 19XX for the shmup high score thread before the month is up.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got a 1CC on Gekirindan (arcade). Honestly, I think this game was at the very edge of what I'm capable of beating, at least for now. I've gotten 1CCs on 3 arcade shooters now:

1. Carrier Air Wing (with autofire)
  2. Gekirindan
  3. U.N. Squadron
Are there any other good arcade shooters of equal or lesser difficulty than the above? Otherwise, maybe I should do some more console shooters yet.

List of console shooter 1CCs I've done:

1. Disney's TaleSpin (NES)
  2. Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES)
  3. Gate of Thunder (PC Engine)
  4. Gradius (NES)
  5. Gradius (PC Engine
  6. Gradius ReBirth (Wii)
  7. Steel Empire (3DS)
  8. Steel Empire (Genesis)
  9. U.N. Squadron (SNES)
I'm obviously still very early in my shooter career. :D

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Got a 1CC on Gekirindan (arcade). Honestly, I think this game was at the very edge of what I'm capable of beating, at least for now. I've gotten 1CCs on 3 arcade shooters now:

1. Carrier Air Wing (with autofire)
  2. Gekirindan
  3. U.N. Squadron
Are there any other good arcade shooters of equal or lesser difficulty than the above? Otherwise, maybe I should do some more console shooters yet.

List of console shooter 1CCs I've done:

1. Disney's TaleSpin (NES)
  2. Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES)
  3. Gate of Thunder (PC Engine)
  4. Gradius (NES)
  5. Gradius (PC Engine
  6. Gradius ReBirth (Wii)
  7. Steel Empire (3DS)
  8. Steel Empire (Genesis)
  9. U.N. Squadron (SNES)
I'm obviously still very early in my shooter career. :D

Sounds like horis are more your jam. Based on that, I’d recommend Prehistoric Isle 2. It was my first 1cc and a pretty fun game (if not too deep) overall. Last Resort is another one that seems hard up front, but a bit of memorization makes the 1cc come pretty quick.

For vertical shooters, try Sky Shark. Neo related, Sonic Wings 3 is pretty attainable if you take the easy path.

Good luck!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sounds like horis are more your jam. Based on that, I’d recommend Prehistoric Isle 2. It was my first 1cc and a pretty fun game (if not too deep) overall. Last Resort is another one that seems hard up front, but a bit of memorization makes the 1cc come pretty quick.

For vertical shooters, try Sky Shark. Neo related, Sonic Wings 3 is pretty attainable if you take the easy path.

Good luck!

Yea Last Resort is insanely easy after you spend a week with it, that's how long it took me to get a 2-all.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Yea Last Resort is insanely easy after you spend a week with it, that's how long it took me to get a 2-all.

Yesterday I got the first Time to Level 5, with only 1 live, it was the first time for me ever reaching the 5th with only one credit since years. How many times you a Day you played it to get it in a week? If I die three times, I have to stop or I destroy my Joybord. I think I’m to bad at shooters :D
For me Last Resort is the best Neo Geo Game I played and Hard to master.

ganon

n00b
Just started playing Overdriven Reloaded: Special Edition on Switch. It`s on sale for the moment (about 1 €) and seems like a pretty cool bullet hell.

Teluin

New Challenger
Was playing Ikaruga, but considering Andro Dunos as my next one. I really enjoy the graphical style, just always rather the vert shooters.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
9384d2c76f52df56672d07008eab99f4.jpg

Felt like continuing the mushihimesama vibes from last month, and managed to clear futari. I’ve been playing this one on and off for a while, but only after switching to Palm abnormal was I able to manage the clear. The positive momentum from the sotm helped as well.

IMO futari poses a much greater challenge than the original, and the complex scoring system makes for a lot more engaging gameplay beyond simply surviving.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
2d9b20b8473cdaa151bdd3156be355d5.jpg

I don’t have any of the sotm games this month, so kept going with Cave and managed a scrubby bomb clear of the first loop of DOJ.

It’s no Panda score, but happy to have finally cleared this.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Nice on Gates of Zendocon. That was my first lynx game to own. I accidentally remember taking the gate to the level that had all the developer's heads. Made me chuckle.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Nice on Gates of Zendocon. That was my first lynx game to own. I accidentally remember taking the gate to the level that had all the developer's heads. Made me chuckle.

I really enjoy the game, it's very repetitive that's why it gets most hate for it. I really dig the explosions how the scale outward. The Lynx still impresses me with the scaling abilities now. Hard to believe the tech in it is from 1986.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Nice job Egg. I've been on a CAVE kick again - after an unhealthy hiatus of nearly 3 years. Relearning EspGaluda II currently - hitting stage 5 in good shape but that stage wrecks me and I can't place a finger on the why. It's rarely the same thing.

I realized I actually dislike Pink Sweets. I used to think it would grow on me, but it's really just a game I don't like.

I also picked up the Psikyo collections on Switch a few weeks back. I'm not playing anything heavily yet - have just given everything a few plays through. Zero Gunner 2 looks incredible and feels very close to Naomi. Samurai Aces and Gunbarich stand out as either looking to crisp (which is really bad for Samurai Aces and I get dizzy / lose things too easily) and the "arcade" effect on them is way to muddy and muted. I really like Gunbarich, but I didn't enjoy it on this compilation no matter which screen settings I tinkered with.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finished Star Parodier on my DUO-RX finally 2 weekends ago. It's not a hard game, until that last stage.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thanks mj, can’t say I’ve spent much time with Galuda 2, maybe I should throw it in the cab next.

I’ve actually been exploring the shmup titles in the original GameBoy. Sagaia and RType are pretty impressive given the hardware. Multiple layers of parallax scrolling on Sagaia is craziness.

36f457249ccdaa0513c5280d63675d24.jpg

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Panda killing it.

Gameboy - that's dedication there. The most retro shmup i've played on handheld recently is Nanostray...so not retro.