Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Get the flame shot asap. Keep it to the last stage then hulk out on the homing laser. Make sure to get enough zenny to buy two life potions. ;)

Ha, I was just watching your clear video. I only started playing it last night and didn't know what any of the power-ups did (playing the MD version). Are there only two resurrection potions in the game?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ha, I was just watching your clear video. I only started playing it last night and didn't know what any of the power-ups did (playing the MD version). Are there only two resurrection potions in the game?

Well, you might be able to get more, but the Zenny distribution is really weak so I always dump into armor if I can. That gets you a solid three hits and the pharaoh boss in the boat is insane, I always get popped hard there. It's also good to find the secret stuff too, The BIG Zenny is good to find, but there is armor and other point boosters in the game. I'm not sure if I have found it all, I just played it so much as a kid I kinda just stumbled across everything.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Well, you might be able to get more, but the Zenny distribution is really weak so I always dump into armor if I can. That gets you a solid three hits and the pharaoh boss in the boat is insane, I always get popped hard there. It's also good to find the secret stuff too, The BIG Zenny is good to find, but there is armor and other point boosters in the game. I'm not sure if I have found it all, I just played it so much as a kid I kinda just stumbled across everything.

Thanks, Panda. I was able to get to the boat!

Edit: Got to the big vertical stage.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Cleared! 651,000 points

Edit: Bummed they didn't kiss at the end...

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Got my score in Forgotten Worlds up to 683,400. I don't know how a few people on the shmups leaderboards have scores around one million... How is that even possible?

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Took a break from Ibara to put Guwange in for the SOTM. Playing some Batrider on the side as well.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Forgotten Worlds 1CC: 1,638,700 points

giphy.gif

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Gate of Thunder - Got my previous 2CC down to a 1CC. Made it to the last level without dying then things went to shit in the back half. Probably went from 11 to 2 lives. But hey, it still counts.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Gate of Thunder - Got my previous 2CC down to a 1CC. Made it to the last level without dying then things went to shit in the back half. Probably went from 11 to 2 lives. But hey, it still counts.

As Vin Diesel once said, "It don't matter if you clear with no lives left or you clear with full stock. A clear is a clear."

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Playing Gunhed and Kyukyoku tiger. Nowhere near a 1CC, but I'm enjoying it and practicing! :)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Thanks! Mega Drive

EDIT:
OK, Tom Hardy, Edris Elba, Charlize Theron... Forgotten Worlds: The Movie

Two musclebound heroes and a shopkeeper risk their lives as the final hope for humanity, flying through city ruins, Egyptian labyrinths, and Tibetan mountaintops to defeat their occult enemies, the cybernetic dragon clan.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Darius Force (SFC), which left me with a very ambiguous feeling. The whole game feels mediocre, with only a few bright flashes in-between, but those flashes are alone worth playing this game. Like the music and atmosphere of "B" stage, or the creepy snail boss at the end of "C" or the intense action of "M", where you have to dodge falling rocks. There are three ships to choose from, but fewer stages than in the arcade so it seems like every other positive aspect has also its price.

The interesting twists within gameplay mechanics keep this alive, too, I really liked switching between bombs and lasers. Taito's developers made a virtue out of necessity, and put some creative ideas into Darius Force, so the slow SFC can manage the game technically. This also turned the concept in R-Type direction, with just a few enemies around, but well enough placed so to give you a hard time.

Darius Force is a console exclusive and it shows: a low resolution, stiff controls, ship's slowish speed or uninspired enemy formations make the arcade source appear far away. It's still a Darius, though, and if you're fan like me, you'll certainly like it despite its flaws. Too bad Taito never made a Darius Neo ;).

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Putting some credits into Donpachi and fucking with Batsugun Special for old times' sake.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Putting some credits into Donpachi and fucking with Batsugun Special for old times' sake.
nice stuff. I can´t get into Donpachi PCB since I don´t like the sound and music in this game. This repeating Metal/synth/clips sound like there is something damaged on the filterboard. But I guess it was just the first try of Cave trying to put some "real" music on a pcb

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Esp.Ra.De - Pulled my small PVM close and put the front of it up on bed risers so I could see it a lot better, which made it easier. I can't quite get to where I used to, though (mid level 4).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
EspRaDe > ESPGaluda ?

I definitely prefer it, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better since they're pretty different. Galuda's kakusei mechanic really separates it from any other Cave shooter, whereas Rade is slightly more straightforward and you have to focus more on replenishing your energy bar. But in terms of style, EspRaDe all day.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I understand. I couldn´t really get into EspRaDe. Maybe it was too straight forward without having "something special". The game mechanic of ESPGaluda really flashes me, also the setting, backgrounds, music and charas felt more "magic" for me. I read somehwere that the game is more steampunk and had some influence or sense of Laputa Castle in the Sky from Studio Ghibli. Maybe that is the reason why it hits me more than EspRaDe

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yeah, I'd definitely call Galuda steampunk, but Rade is almost cyberpunk / Masamune Shirow style. I actually popped Galuda into the PS2 and am trying to get back up to speed. I used to be able to get to the penultimate boss. Hopefully I can clear it at some point...

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
yes, ESPGaluda is really heavy stuff. I especially like the awakening ability and the changing of gender, bullets, bombs and movement with just one click. That changes everything and is a really special difference to older shmups where you can just shoot, bomb and die. But I think I´ll have to get an esprade pcb again. Your more than laudatory advertising makes me wanna play again :)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Luckily I bought it at the right time. Grabbed it for $375. It's probably way up now. I was hoping to get a Guwange PCB, but that's absurdly priced these days.

I surprisingly got my #1 score on Galuda last night. I got some big kakusei scores, but only got to the end of the fourth level.