Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
In Hyper Duel so far i’ve made it to level 6 and scored 924214 on the hardest difficulty in saturn mode with only one credit... one of the few shooters I have bothered to try to seriously 1cc.. eventually i’ll do it..

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
In Hyper Duel so far i’ve made it to level 6 and scored 924214 on the hardest difficulty in saturn mode with only one credit... one of the few shooters I have bothered to try to seriously 1cc.. eventually i’ll do it..

With whom do you play? There's a great strategy for Lloyd, if you're interested.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But also yes I’d like to hear your strategy. (Sorry, I cannot edit my posts)

No apologies necessary. I have discovered the following strategy for myself, before discovering, that it was already well known in Japan. Well, what isn't, right?

Cut & Dried Opinions

Let's start with the common belief, that Lisa is the easiest character in Hyper Duel. I question that. She is the easiest character to get a good score with, true, or achieve an "S" rank at the end, i.e. beating all levels with a "Perfect" score bonus, i.e. killing every enemy in every stage. Her Special Attack runs through solid matter, thus preventing enemies from getting away. The drawback is, its already weak power gets dissected and boss-fights take considerably longer, which can cost you all your extends during the final encounter in Stage 8. Moreover, her excessive speed is hard to handle while dodging bullets, especially annoying during the fight against Nightmare.

Switching Troubles

The biggest drawback, though, is the fact, that both Keith and Lisa's Buster Gears demand constant switching into Armor mode, to balance out their weak Fighter mode guns. The switch may appear fast and plain at first, but each transformation takes several frames during which you can't fire, while enemies constantly keep firing at you. The Armor mode multiplies the size of your hit box, too, and slows you down significantly. All this led me to my first conclusion: The easiest character would be the one, who doesn't have to change into Armor mode at all... and that's Lloyd, all right.

Enter Lloyd

Lloyd's power in Fighter mode equals that of other characters Armor modes, thus making the necessity to switch into the latter completely redundant. Now all I had to do, was to consider how to exploit his bulky but slow Special Attack. The answer was simple: by using it discontinuously. His options shoot their first two rounds straight then slightly diagonal forward plus backward and continue to make a whole 360 degree turn. The whole 360° rotation is, what makes Lloyd's Special Attack slow and ineffective, since 80% of all projectiles will miss their targets and get wasted in the upper/lower parts of the screen. So, just stick to the first moments of the rotation: push the button to shoot out the first two projectiles, release the button and push it again for yet another round, starting the rotation anew. This simple hold & release mode will only shoot forward, turning Lloyd's Special Attack into the most effective one in the whole game.

The Lesson Is Clear

Finally, Lloyd's velocity is the most balanced out of all other Gears, making even Nightmares bullets very satisfying to dodge. Together with the discontinued use of his potent Special Attack and the now redundant use of the Armor mode, Lloyd becomes almost overpowered. There's one catch, though: You can kiss your high score ambitions goodbye. And since you do it to the Armor mode, too, some may consider this strategy misses Hyper Duel's spirit. Ah, well.

Hints & Suggestions

There are at least two tough sections during a Lloyd run: first the narrow passages in the second stage. Here you have to rely on your sidekicks. Gunner-type is recommended, because it can aim and shoot in every direction freely, thus effectively getting rid of the small gun-pods placed on the floors and ceilings. The second tough moment will await you during the second part of the fourth stage, when certain enemy formations start attacking you from behind. Here, I also recommend Gunner-type sidekicks. Further, you'll have to let your Special Attack rotate the full 360 degrees and at the same time move from the middle to the left side of the screen, as soon as the formations enter it, to avoid perfectly aimed bullets coming from below and above at your Buster Gear.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Working on 1CC'ing Sky Shark PCB. Taking some getting use to the speed of my plane not much room for error.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Working on 1CC'ing Sky Shark PCB. Taking some getting use to the speed of my plane not much room for error.

Great game! I've too just gotten the PCB (what a monster :) ) and I really like it. Simple but fun and defo possible to 1CC.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Back to Thunder Force 4. Religiously.
Funny that i enjoy this game much more nowadays than when i was a kid.

Oh and THIS:

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
^^ awesome. :D
just one for now, AMNIOS for amiga.
great game, shit frame rate and sonic speeds when the going gets tough.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Raiden 2 PCB, ballz hard but a great game. All the little detail of the explosions are so damn awesome.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Raiden 2 PCB, ballz hard but a great game. All the little detail of the explosions are so damn awesome.

Ha, I feel you. Played the PS1 version, thankfully it features an instant respawn system with three new bombs. I got my one coin clear, but only on the lowest difficulty setting, still it felt like a real achievement. The first one I haven't cleared yet, because it puts you back R-Type-style after loosing a life, though, unlike R-Type, there's no Force here to save you ;).

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Ha, I feel you. Played the PS1 version, thankfully it features an instant respawn system with three new bombs. I got my one coin clear, but only on the lowest difficulty setting, still it felt like a real achievement. The first one I haven't cleared yet, because it puts you back R-Type-style after loosing a life, though, unlike R-Type, there's no Force here to save you ;).

Yeah I had the PS1 version also, I did what you did cleared on lower difficulty. So far I have made it through mid way through 3 stage before losing my first life. Man stage 3 gets super crazy fast so many damn shit pouring out of everywhere. I absolutely hate the flying enemies on this game. They fly down the screen and just stay there half time I don't see one and it snipers me. Still love playing it I just don't ever think I'll 1cc it on normal difficulty I might turn it down a level. The PCB has instant respawns but you are screwed anyway all power ups are gone. And if you got the fairy hell all the items are circling so close together its almost impossible to get anything while being blitzed with bullets everywhere lol.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The PCB has instant respawns but you are screwed anyway all power ups are gone. And if you got the fairy hell all the items are circling so close together its almost impossible to get anything while being blitzed with bullets everywhere lol.

Haha, true. It's better be a 1lc up to the last boss, then you start releasing your bombs. With close to 40 minutes for a playthrough, the game is quite long, too, almost double that of Hyper Duel or Gekirindan. That's like another difficulty raise.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Haha, true. It's better be a 1lc up to the last boss, then you start releasing your bombs. With close to 40 minutes for a playthrough, the game is quite long, too, almost double that of Hyper Duel or Gekirindan. That's like another difficulty raise.

Well i decided to set the dip difficulty to easy today to see if i could get any better. Hell I honestly can't tell much of a difference the bullet speed is maybe a bit slower. So far I made it to stage 5 on one credit. The bosses are not the problem it's all the popcorn enemies. Ah hell it dosent matter I still love playing it, I use to pump tons of quarters into the cab at my local arcade when it was released. Always been one of my favourite shmups even though it rips me to pieces.

Zak

WWJCVDD?,
Air Assault! Managed to 1cc all 3 loops.

Now I just need to find a nice Fire Barrel PCB ;)

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
New bullet hell for the original GameBoy...Dangan GB. Got it loaded on my Pocket and have been giving it a few plays today.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
New bullet hell for the original GameBoy...Dangan GB. Got it loaded on my Pocket and have been giving it a few plays today.
I watched the trailer but assume they had a code on to avoid damage, how is the hit-box for your ship in this game? Looks pretty cool, almost like a portable version of Recca in a way! :-J

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I watched the trailer but assume they had a code on to avoid damage, how is the hit-box for your ship in this game? Looks pretty cool, almost like a portable version of Recca in a way! :-J

It plays very well. Small hit box...like the size of the bullet right in the middle I think. I played it like 20 times today. I can make it to the 3rd stage. I can get the no death bonus on the 1st stage so the controls work nicely. No lag and it plays smooth. The game is well made.

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Got Raiden Fighters 2 in today, going to try to get some time with it this week.