Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yes, kakusei, overdrive, and guard barrier (bomb) either doesn't damage him or gives him health, I can't remember which.

The scrubtastic trick for killing him during his final form though is to guard barrier when it looks like you're going to collide with a bullet, whiff the beam, and then reposition yourself safely.

Oh, gotcha. You mean avoid hitting him with the beam, right?

Edit: I panic bomb all the time. I'm not above using this trick.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Been going back and forth with Skycurser and Fire Shark.

Skycurser is great, loving every bit of it.

Fire Shark I used to be able to 1cc, can make it to stage 5 pretty consistently. Maxing out the fire weapon is the way to go.

Any tips on SkyCurser, just got mine, so far I figured out the all 3 buttons super. It also seems the second char helps if you shotgun a lot.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Any tips on SkyCurser, just got mine, so far I figured out the all 3 buttons super. It also seems the second char helps if you shotgun a lot.

Yeah, for the gundam, you kinda need to tap b,a,b quickly and it takes some of your gauge. Also, this game is huge on crowd control, use that shotgun to your advantage.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Yeah, for the gundam, you kinda need to tap b,a,b quickly and it takes some of your gauge. Also, this game is huge on crowd control, use that shotgun to your advantage.

Nice! Do you know how to spam the sword, I saw in one of the demos at the start screen, the computer started slashing superfast with no cooldown on the sword.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Today I had mostly a R-Type session. R-Type 2 arcade, R-Type Leo arcade and R-Type I PC Enine. I also played Magical Chase and G-Darius ver2 (arcade).

Arcade R-Type 2 US ver is far more difficult than R-Type I (PC Engine version).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Got to the final stage in EspGaluda for the first time tonight and got my personal high score - 12.3 million. I would have done better if I didn't get one stupid death and daydream through the extend in Stage 3. I don't quite feel the 1CC within grasp. I definitely need to practice Stage 4 more.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Been playing ZAS for the game boy. It plays much better than I would ever have guessed. Also, it's one of those vert shooters that has terrain like a horizontal, which is a nice change of pace if you're into that sort of thing.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Been playing ZAS for the game boy. It plays much better than I would ever have guessed. Also, it's one of those vert shooters that has terrain like a horizontal, which is a nice change of pace if you're into that sort of thing.

Cool, but it looks like its frame rate has been sacrificed for a two-layer parallax effect. The uncommon use of tectonic in this vert reminds me of Formation Armed F, which, in addition, features an interesting usage of the ship's options. Has this one any gameplay gimmicks to offer?

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Cool, but it looks like its frame rate has been sacrificed for a two-layer parallax effect. The uncommon use of tectonic in this vert reminds me of Formation Armed F, which, in addition, features an interesting usage of the ship's options. Has this one any gameplay gimmicks to offer?

Actually, the way the options work in ZAS is similar to Armed F in that you can pull them close to your ship or send them out to the side. No launching them forward or backward though. It ends-up feeling very similar and it's often used in the same manner.

Have you played much Armed F? I haven't been playing it long but I really like everything about it so far.

As for the frame rate, it all works because of the ghosting of the original game boy's screen. If your playing on the original gb, it's not an issue.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Have you played much Armed F? I haven't been playing it long but I really like everything about it so far.

I played the PC Engine port, bit on the hard side, but quite fascinating due to the concept -- it feels a bit like the last stage in Hagane for the Super Famicom. Memorization rules, of course.

As for the frame rate, it all works because of the ghosting of the original game boy's screen. If your playing on the original gb, it's not an issue.

Good to hear, will give it a try on a Pi.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
-PS2:
Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou

Im not really sure what the best way to approach a bullet hell shmup. i know some people like to add restrictions to themselves like no bombs or death restart. i usually do the 1 death restart but with this game i feel like i'll never really understand how to play properly unless i plow through.

Kiken

Camel Slug
I've been dipping into the well that is Last Resort for several weeks now. After tracking down an AES cart for not obscene money last month, I ended up buying a Switch a little over a week ago and downloaded the ACA release of LR off the Nintendo E-Shop. Definitely prefer playing the original cart as the Switch ROM feels a tad laggy.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
-PS2:
Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou

Im not really sure what the best way to approach a bullet hell shmup. i know some people like to add restrictions to themselves like no bombs or death restart. i usually do the 1 death restart but with this game i feel like i'll never really understand how to play properly unless i plow through.

I've never understood the need for arbitrary restrictions like that. A 1cc on DOJ is hard enough as is, how are you supposed to get any practice on later stages without credit feeding?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I've never understood the need for arbitrary restrictions like that. A 1cc on DOJ is hard enough as is, how are you supposed to get any practice on later stages without credit feeding?

It's mostly a tool for memorization.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To each their own but IMHO shooting for a 1CC allows me to enjoy the game more, every facet is more vivid due to repetition, as you encounter each wall and manage to break through it with perseverance, you reap the benefits of more skilled movement, you get to grow as a gamer. Incidentally, credit feeding can't replicate the sense of urgency and fear of death, that adrenaline rush that kicks in during your last stand, you know...no lives left, no bombs...credit feeding will never give you that, maybe a set of credits like AES with 4 credits but even then, however that's not to say it doesn't help to practice, once you clear a game with 4 credits I'm sure it'll be easier to clear it on one credit..

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
To each their own but IMHO shooting for a 1CC allows me to enjoy the game more, every facet is more vivid due to repetition, as you encounter each wall and manage to break through it with perseverance, you reap the benefits of more skilled movement, you get to grow as a gamer. Incidentally, credit feeding can't replicate the sense of urgency and fear of death, that adrenaline rush that kicks in during your last stand, you know...no lives left, no bombs...credit feeding will never give you that, maybe a set of credits like AES with 4 credits but even then, however that's not to say it doesn't help to practice, once you clear a game with 4 credits I'm sure it'll be easier to clear it on one credit..

I'm not saying 1cc is the arbitrary restriction - I agree wholeheartedly that it's the most rewarding pursuit in gaming. I was referring to other restrictions such as 1 death restarts, or one credit only (no continues for practice) while learning the game. That just sounds frustrating to me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Depends on the individual I guess. A lot of ports have practice stage and MAME save states are good to use as well for practice no doubt.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Unless you already have a realistic chance of clearing the game, I think restarting a run after any death is a practice that's not going to help you learn.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Unless you already have a realistic chance of clearing the game, I think restarting a run after any death is a practice that's not going to help you learn.

That's exactly my experience, too. It's not until you play a game from beginning to end - doesn't matter with how many credits or savestates - that you get the bigger picture of it. This consequently helps you to keep your instinct work better, because you'll know, what's coming next and know how to graduate your endurance best.

We're all not 15 anymore, so, except for Dark Jaguar, time's an issue.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's exactly my experience, too and even though I usually type like a douchetard wannabe Hemmingway, I'll bring it down a notch this instance.

It's not until I buy a game that I feel fulfillment - doesn't matter if I credit feed or not, I need to get the bigger picture of it so I can feel that I played it good and then proceed to add it to the baking rack with the others. This consequently helps me hoarding games, because you know, I need more games coming next and who cares if my endurance isn't at its best, as long as I keep getting more and more games that's all that matters.

I like to use excuses to make up for my shortcomings, with that said...we're all not 15 anymore, so, except for Dark Jaguar, time's an issue.
FIFY

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Played a few credits on Futari Black Label. Really enjoying it, slowly becoming one of my more liked cave games.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Darius Burst
Darius Burst
And
Darius Burst.

And those dlc packs, sega pack. Taito. Friggin night Striker.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I finally have my own copy of Winds of Thunder for the PCE. It's really a different game compared to the SCD version, not only because of the higher challenge. Cleared it on normal with the Water Armor, but not w/o an Elixir, so it's just a 1cc, not a 1lc. It's quite shocking to play the original after so many years, it'll take me a while to get used to it.