Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just played through Steel Empire on 3DS. 1CC on my first try. Normal difficulty, and 3 deaths. Neat asthetics, kind of want to try the Genesis version next.

The 3DS is so much easier. Hard difficulty on 3DS is like normal on Genesis. However I feel the 3DS game controls and looks better.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Just played through Steel Empire on 3DS. 1CC on my first try. Normal difficulty, and 3 deaths. Neat asthetics, kind of want to try the Genesis version next.

The 3DS has such a shortage of good shooters, it's a shame.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude, get on that G.G stuff, if you have a DSi then do it on that instead, they look proper, no upscaling.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Dude, get on that G.G stuff, if you have a DSi then do it on that instead, they look proper, no upscaling.

Oh shit, I never even knew about those games. And that $2 price point is right in my budget.

Any recommendations on which titles to start with?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dark Spirits fer sure
The Ninja Game is awesome but it's not a shmup
Battle Ogre is also a great one plane mini juggling brawler

To me those 3 are the best but I have yet to try the last few, I need to get on that, they look cool.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I decided to finally put one of my other monitors (1954Q) in TATE and been running through every TATE shmup i can find.

first up the game ive been wanting to dig in to since i was a kid.

100_2085.jpg~original

i'll probably dig into this one for now but man oh man. some of these games im trying are freaking amazing.

I'm particularly impressed with Kingdom Grand Prix and Shienryu

looks like good times ahead :D

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It's worth for the FM-ost alone. Noriyuki Iwadare worked on Warsong, Gley Lancer & Wings of Wor: MD's Yamaha chip is still a gem.

Oh shit, I'm sold. I love his work on Lunar: Eternal Blue.

The 3DS is so much easier. Hard difficulty on 3DS is like normal on Genesis. However I feel the 3DS game controls and looks better.

I didn't mind how it looked, but didn't particularly enjoy playing on the small screen (regular-sized New 3DS) and didn't feel like circle pad or the dpad were particularly precise. Probably won't play it again until I get the Genesis version and can enjoy it on a TV with a normal-sized controller.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I decided to finally put one of my other monitors (1954Q) in TATE and been running through every TATE shmup i can find.

first up the game ive been wanting to dig in to since i was a kid.

100_2085.jpg~original

i'll probably dig into this one for now but man oh man. some of these games im trying are freaking amazing.

I'm particularly impressed with Kingdom Grand Prix and Shienryu

looks like good times ahead :D

Nice!!! Them Saturn ports are so good! KGP has a non-racing mode, lots of folks enjoy that a lot more than the original racing game, not me, but it's cool to have the option. Battle Garegga is also a great port, better than the PCB IMHO, color bullets FTW. If only Batrider was ported...sob.

Galatic Attack/Layer Section

Solid cheapie, plays amazing!

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

Blazing Star, trying to get a 1cc but no dice. Need a lot more practice on those bosses.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing Sengoku Blade the past few days.

I reached stage 6 (a first). I think there are seven stages in the loop.

Charlie97L

n00b
I'm working on Darius Twin on SNES, Layer Section on Saturn, and GUN NAC on NES for a less stressful alternative. Been bingeing on shmups lately. :)

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've been playing Sengoku Blade the past few days.

I reached stage 6 (a first). I think there are seven stages in the loop.

Been playing that recently as well, pretty fun hori. Which character are you playing as? Supposedly Ayin is quite overpowered compared to the rest, making for a much easier clear.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Been playing that recently as well, pretty fun hori. Which character are you playing as? Supposedly Ayin is quite overpowered compared to the rest, making for a much easier clear.

Cool. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I've heard Ayin is overpowered. I've been using Hagane, who I suppose is similar as far
as taking advantage of close range charge shots go.

Maybe I'll give Ayin a try

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Just played through Andro Dunos today. First time ever touching the game, burned quite a few credits in the later levels. Quality shooter, but doesn't stand out to me very much either.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Due to to the latest SOTM, I played Andro Dunos a lot, too. You got to appreciate the frenzy of the last levels, the aggression and speed of the bullets or your own sweaty tries to trigger the right weapon at the right time.

It's a rollercoaster ride that still remains deadly precise and very arcadey. Today, it would've been a highly celebrated indie release, alas independents are incapable of programming something as good as AD. They simply don't have the time or the skill to try and shine on a 25-year old shmup.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I'll have to take a deeper look at it. The hectic later levels were impressive, but I did not try to really get to know the game. Just quarter feed and blasted thru. I don't think I'm gonna catch anybody on that scoreboard anytime soon.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
U.N. Squadron arcade, man love this game. Got the 1LC with Mickey & Shin working on Greg now.

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Pulled the Class of 81 board from the cab the other day, and tossed in Viper Phase 1....It's got that great Raiden feel, without being Raiden...plus it's hard as hell to get 100% kills for max bonus points....:D