Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Well I'll try to swing by sometime so you can experience it in all its glory. Some games are just better two player, (final fight, contra, etc). Also make sure that old lady with the tamales shows up again.... :-)

Definitely

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Some games are just better two player, (final fight, contra, etc).

No

Also, Uhhh, I think the differences between AC UN Squadron and the SNES port are pretty apparent.

Even though I can have an SNES bias every now and then, Arcade version > SNES version.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I've been playing 1943 Kai on PC Engine, Dux 1.5 on Dreamcast, and ReDux also on DC.

1943 Kai starts off a bit slow and ordinary - it doesn't look much better than 1943 on NES in the early levels and your weaponry easily overwhelms all of your opponents. Happily the game really ramps up later on and soon you're facing down complex waves of enemies while the screen loads up with snazzy backgrounds and flying clouds. Definitely worthwhile once you get past those early levels.

Dux and ReDux are both pretty "meh". I thought ReDux was the sequel to Dux but it's actually a remake with worse graphics-the sharp detailed art of Dux looks blurry and smeared in ReDux. Both games have generic R-Type inspired gameplay with none of the strategy or tight design you find in R-Type or Pulstar. Definitely a pass, which is too bad. I like to support promising homebrew efforts but these games are both the definition of generic.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing a little Sonic Wings 2 for the first time in over a year.

I'm getting to the stage 8 boss. I'd like to get the 1-All with a crappy score, but I think it's still going to involve a fair amount of work.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Looking forward to your vid, seeing that it can't be dodging alone -- there must be some safe spots & advanced tactics to it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Looking forward to your vid, seeing that it can't be dodging alone -- there must be some safe spots & advanced tactics to it.

I only make videos featuring content that hasn't been done/done to death.

There are plenty of AF2 videos out there, no need for another (crappy) one.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Working on DDP DOJ BL first loop. Currently at 4 credits and can regularly beat the final boss without dying, but getting down to 0 will be a while.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I only make videos featuring content that hasn't been done/done to death.

There are plenty of AF2 videos out there, no need for another (crappy) one.

Quite the opposite, most of the high end vids are about moves you can pull out after a year of 24/7 training, i.e. they're indeed disposable. Therefore I specifically look for crappy recordings, because they deal with survival techniques I can apply to. The way is the goal. Another examples are Radiant Silvergun & Soukyugurentai: there are tons of sublime playthroughs for them, but not a single crappy one. There's more to superplays then one thinks...

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I fixed my ST-V motherboard tonight finally and put Shienryu in. I'm still trying to figure this out a little, but I broke a million after a handfull of games.

A few questions for anyone familiar with this game...P are for power-up I assume, B adds 1 to the bomb stock, is S for powering up the bomb (or speed?)? Also, the little red and blue medals, what are those for? And there are just the 3 types of weapons, right? Yellow orb for missiles, Blue orb for the lightning shot, and the Red orb for the fireball spreadshot...

I know I can google all this or check out the SHMUPS forum cause I'm sure they have a strategy thread for it, but I figured I would strike up the conversation about it here first.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I fixed my ST-V motherboard tonight finally and put Shienryu in. I'm still trying to figure this out a little, but I broke a million after a handfull of games.

A few questions for anyone familiar with this game...P are for power-up I assume, B adds 1 to the bomb stock, is S for powering up the bomb (or speed?)? Also, the little red and blue medals, what are those for? And there are just the 3 types of weapons, right? Yellow orb for missiles, Blue orb for the lightning shot, and the Red orb for the fireball spreadshot...

I know I can google all this or check out the SHMUPS forum cause I'm sure they have a strategy thread for it, but I figured I would strike up the conversation about it here first.

Haven't played it in a while, but Shienryu is some legit fun.

I usually just find the soonest lightning upgrade and avoid the others like the plague since it just paints the screen with firepower over and over.

The "S" is for speed.

The medals (they look like Castlevania candles to me) are just points. Can't remember how much, but one is significantly larger than the other.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Quite the opposite, most of the high end vids are about moves you can pull out after a year of 24/7 training, i.e. they're indeed disposable. Therefore I specifically look for crappy recordings, because they deal with survival techniques I can apply to. The way is the goal. Another examples are Radiant Silvergun & Soukyugurentai: there are tons of sublime playthroughs for them, but not a single crappy one. There's more to superplays then one thinks...

I understand what you mean.

Haven't played it in a while, but Shienryu is some legit fun.

I usually just find the soonest lightning upgrade and avoid the others like the plague since it just paints the screen with firepower over and over.

The "S" is for speed.

The medals (they look like Castlevania candles to me) are just points. Can't remember how much, but one is significantly larger than the other.

RANKTASTIC!

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I'm still learning Shienryu, but I just got in a new NEO GEO game (Blazing Star) so that is now in the horizontal cab for the next few weeks for sure. It seems like it is a lot of fun...

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Blazing Star is awesome, hard to get tired of it.

I picked up Terra Cresta 3D for the Saturn a bit ago and had some time to play it tonight. Interesting take on it, I kinda like it. But no scoring, really?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
playing a lot of aero fighters 3. definitely my favourite shooter on the neo.

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Going back and forth lately on Aero Blasters, Progear, and Twinkle Star Sprites for when friends drop by.

Christ, I can't get enough of Progear.

Been picking at Lords of Thunder for the last week or so on and off while the arcade space is being reworked. I never, ever get sick of that OST.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Bosque has my favorite track although Gates of Babylon is also equally amazing but Bosque it's just so energetic! I can't clear it yet but I almost did, got to the final stage with 2 continues...I'm just using the continues as lives...once I clear it with all the lives and stuff I'll work on the One life run...It can be done...I'll use the aid of videos by then.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Playing some Striker 1945 Pt1 PCB in a Blast City, damn near close to the 1-All with P-51 Mustang.
I will get that damn space crap if it's the last thing I do!!!

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
Playing Viewpoint on the Neo... I think I start grinding my teeth during sleep...because of frustration and anger! Still a great game...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So...I was all pumped 'cause I was gonna play DDP at my friend's Candy cab, you know, show off the progress and stuff...I mean I need lots more training but I'm getting better little by little...and so I started my first run...died on the 1st stage...figured I just need it to warm up...wasn't the case, I never made it out of stage 2...lol, come back home...play the next day and I'm back on stage 5 (My wall) and everything is as it was before...so after thinking it for a while I'm guessing either my PCB has an easier romset or (and here's the revelation) playing on a smaller screen does make a difference.

...you see, this last kick I've been having with DDP has been on a 20" RGB monitor...the candy I played at was 29" (27") and I think that's where I fell, it seems to be hard to keep up with the bullets? I dunno, maybe I just suck period...

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I dunno, maybe I just suck period...

Just hoard more to compensate, I heard it works.
:make_fac:
Switching up the environment, hardware, and even having another person in the room will mess with your game, especially if you aren't used to it.
It could be so many things; one time Jambitboom was over and I was trying to show him Ibara, massive failing ensued. Then we went out to get sandwiches.
When we got back I 1CCed with a new high score on my first attempt. Never underestimate factors like hunger or sleep, even a sandwich can make all the difference.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I dunno, maybe I just suck period...

I think most of us suck at SHMUPS. They aren't easy by any means. I have been curious about the screen size too. It's difficult not to focus on your ship using a 29" screen. It's a challenge to scan the entire screen. I always end up watching my ship and eating bullets.