Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Yesterday I played PC-Engine's Steam Heart's for the first time. Quite a good game (besides the cutscenes lol) and found out that there is a Sega Saturn version that I want to add to my collection right now :(

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yesterday I played PC-Engine's Steam Heart's for the first time. Quite a good game (besides the cutscenes lol) and found out that there is a Sega Saturn version that I want to add to my collection right now :(

Giving love to your new Duo, you suffered the Never Ending Collection Disease :P

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Do yourself a favor and don't. The cut scenes are censored, that is the sole reason to own this game.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
threw in a couple of credits into progear since I took a few months off, best run was a 15mil run stage 5 boss 3rd phase, and I lost 3 full bomb stocks on it making me rage.

still plucking away at garegga, and still trying to get past that black heart hump.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
threw in a couple of credits into progear since I took a few months off, best run was a 15mil run stage 5 boss 3rd phase, and I lost 3 full bomb stocks on it making me rage.

still plucking away at garegga, and still trying to get past that black heart hump.

Garegga is a whore.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm calling first dibs on that board when you're ready to let go. Reach around Mike, reach around.

Oh yeah, playing DFK 1.5 still stock on stage 4 power mode.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Re-learning ESP ra de.

Pissing me off. Bad.

Your 8 mil is most likely enough to secure top spot in SOTM at least. Stage 4 still kicking my ass regardless of which character I use. Fantastic game though!

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Your 8 mil is most likely enough to secure top spot in SOTM at least. Stage 4 still kicking my ass regardless of which character I use. Fantastic game though!

Did you grab the extend on stage 4?

I can walk you through it. You're gonna need to go into stage 4 with your energy full and chips maxed.

I got 9m the other day.
I'll figure it out in a week or so.

@grave - yessir - remind me if I ever do sell it. One sold on shmups today, you coulda snatched it up!

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Did you grab the extend on stage 4?

I can walk you through it. You're gonna need to go into stage 4 with your energy full and chips maxed.

Yep, got it.

I found some vids of 1cc runs and I see there's some safe spots at certain times that are helpful. Trying to destroy everything is not always in your best interest it appears.

I just need more practice to learn the patterns a bit better. I'd be happy with 6 mil right now...baby steps.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
100K short of a batrider personal best and I flew nearly across the whole screen to fly into a pink laser in the opening of the final stage.
:hammer::very_ang::hammer::very_ang::hammer::very_ang:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Still getting rocked in esprade. Relearning patterns, highest run thus far is 10m. Great game.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
I picked up a Blazing Star MVS cart this week so I've been spending a ton of time with that.

Still trying to figure out what ship I want to use for serious 1CC attempts, but I like them all.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Still trying to figure out what ship I want to use for serious 1CC attempts, but I like them all.

This is a very tough game to 1cc, extremely tough, especially, if you don't use auto-fire. Then, the only ship I can recommend is, of course, the Windina. Triggering is so much easier with this one... Still, to 1cc BS w/o auto is nearly impossible. You'll have to keep rank at least as low as C. And a highscore w/o auto? Now that is impossible.

If you plan to use auto though (it is incredibly easier this way), then the Dino-135 is an obvious choice, because of its multidirectional options. The other Dino has them, too, but it is so damn slow, even its force can't make up for this major shortcoming. Anyway, if you are a STG brain, then Aryustailm is the highscorers weapon of choice. Its been designed for this purpose only, it seems.

But a Blazing Star 1cc will be so as hard to accomplish, as... it gets, even without the slightest ambition to take on a decent score (35+ mill).

Good luck to you, "poor player" ;).

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
This is a very tough game to 1cc, extremely tough, especially, if you don't use auto-fire. Then, the only ship I can recommend is, of course, the Windina. Triggering is so much easier with this one... Still, to 1cc BS w/o auto is nearly impossible. You'll have to keep rank at least as low as C. And a highscore w/o auto? Now that is impossible.

If you plan to use auto though (it is incredibly easier this way), then the Dino-135 is an obvious choice, because of its multidirectional options. The other Dino has them, too, but it is so damn slow, even its force can't make up for this major shortcoming. Anyway, if you are a STG brain, then Aryustailm is the highscorers weapon of choice. Its been designed for this purpose only, it seems.

But a Blazing Star 1cc will be so as hard to accomplish, as... it gets, even without the slightest ambition to take on a decent score (35+ mill).

Good luck to you, "poor player" ;).

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep all that in mind.

I'll never 1CC the game probably. I haven't cleared a shooter in years and years (Psyvariar 2 was probably the last, and I don't think I played that since it was new), though I love the genre and play them often. But Blazing Star is a great game, and I look forward to spending the summer attempting it :)

Mero

New Challenger
Been playing Karous, via the crappy compilation Sakura Flamingo Archives.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
futari bl international. got the original and maniac 1CCs w/ some shit scores, and stuck on stage 3 in god mode. having a blast tho

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I just got a copy of Air Zonk / PC Denjin.

D9DF3A59-C99E-4BCA-B16D-3F888C6044C0_zpsgt32ys1b.jpg

Holy shit the Japanese version is weirder than the USA one.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I picked up a Blazing Star MVS cart this week so I've been spending a ton of time with that.

I think you can do it with the Windina, I can kick ass with this ship. Has a massive spray of bullets when you max it out.

On topic: Playing Last Hope PB

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I just got a copy of Air Zonk / PC Denjin.

Holy shit the Japanese version is weirder than the USA one.

Oh yeah? Interesting ... I've played the US version a ton and assumed it was identical to the Japanese version. This merits investigation.

So glad Gradius V got released as a PS2 classic this week - it's my favorite shooter of all time and deserves all of the attention it can get. Konami broke my heart when they announced Gradius VI as a PS3 title and then canceled it.

I've been playing Aero Fighters 2. Love the goofy pilots and everything they say.