Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Finally been playing my Muchi Pork PCB again. It's been sitting unplayed for months. Surprisingly, after spending a lot of time playing Garegga and Batrider recently, I'm not enjoying MMP like I used to. I assume it's because I'm not a good player, but I've never gotten a feel for the consistency of MMPs rank.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Comparing MMP to Garegga and Batrider doesn’t bode well for Pork no matter how hard you try to justify Cave+YGW greatness. I tried it again recently and couldn’t last more than a few days before calling it quits. To be honest you don’t need to think about rank in MMP like you do in Garegga.

I’ve said it often, Bakraid is the most approachable YGW game if you just want to have fun and play for survival. As for Garegga vs Batrider, even YGW was quoted that Garegga is for serious play and Batrider was for fun.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
When I bought the PCB back in 2008 or so I really enjoyed it, and could consistently reach Stage 5 and thought I could probably clear the first loop. I sold it, then bought it again about two years ago. Having just recently sat down and started playing it again, I find it really frustrating. I'm not even really playing to score now either. I guess I shouldn't have made a Raizing comparison. All I meant really is that with games like Garegga and Batrider, I know what I did wrong when the game gets too difficult. With MMP, it seems quite random. Like I said, it's probably just me not being very good and not playing games much anymore, but I'm getting more frustrated than anything playing MMP now.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I’ve said it often, Bakraid is the most approachable YGW game if you just want to have fun and play for survival. As for Garegga vs Batrider, even YGW was quoted that Garegga is for serious play and Batrider was for fun.

I don't think any of his games are immediately accessible, and certainly not to the casual gamer Once you spend some time with them Garegga and Bakraid are superb, but Batrider... I loose sight of enemy bullets (default settings) due to the strong colour scheme more than I ever did with Garegga, and some of the bullet patterns are ridiculously difficult to avoid. I also find many of the ships underpowered.

Batrider is distinctly average imo compared against the two Battle games.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I partially agree if you are comparing Batrider Normal course (5 stages) default team play to Garegga/Bakraid on defaults. The real meat in Batrider is learning how to fight the extra bosses, customizing a badass team, and going for the advanced course clear. Taking those things under consideration, it becomes twice times the game (something nuts like 16 bosses!!!).

Difficulty wise: Batrider Advanced > Garegga >>>>>>> Bakraid Advanced (so that might affect your fun factor) :D

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Truxton on the Genesis. It is very addicting and challenging. Right now I am stuck on the second stage...when the ships approach from behind and the sides. It is just chaos.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Gradius V, going for the 1CC on very hard difficulty. I've been practicing on higher loops using stage select to try and get better at it.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Truxton on the Genesis. It is very addicting and challenging. Right now I am stuck on the second stage...when the ships approach from behind and the sides. It is just chaos.
I was also playing Truxton a few weeks ago. Great game and very challenging. I only got to the second stage as well. I got to give it another go again soon.

In contrast in difficulty...I just picked up Star Parodier on PC Engine. It's a good game but it seems way too easy. 1cc the first time playing. I love how you can play as a PC Engine console with PCE controllers as revolving shields.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yes that second stage is pretty intense. What also freaks me out is when you explode in Truxton, the music just stops and that gives me almost a heart attack. What a great way to increase your adrenaline.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Yes that second stage is pretty intense. What also freaks me out is when you explode in Truxton, the music just stops and that gives me almost a heart attack. What a great way to increase your adrenaline.

I hear yeah on the heart attack! I remember playing this game for hours as a kid and could never beat it.

I have to give this one another go soon

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Just got in an MVS copy Alpha Mission II. Loving it. First thing I thought when playing it for the first time is that it's Neo Xevious. And I love Xevious (that got many, many of my quarters when I was a kid).

Just gotta figure out the armor system a little better.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Ketsui and outzone. I've had my Ketsui pcb in the cab for over a year now and I doubt it's going anywhere soon. One of a handful of games that never gets old for me.

Bardoly

n00b
Been playing a little Tatsujin for the PC Engine off and on lately, but man it is hard! I still can't beat the second level! (Using only one continue)

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Dead Moon on my Turbo Express. Great music and addictive gameplay. Infinite continues FTW.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
image.php
Infinite continues FTW.

I can't help it, I'm just laughing hard.

Last edited:

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Fast Striker on MVS. I really enjoy the OMAKE mode.
I try to 1CC the game but I'm not really an expert in shooting games so I progress very slowly.
For me this is the best NGDevteam game

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
DoDonpachi (Gunning for a 1st loop clear)

Played it at RX's Q25 and got my ass kicked so I've been playing the ROM and got to the 4th stage. I'll get there. Hell, it took me longer to make it to stage 4 on Donpachi.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Played it at RX's Q25 and got my ass kicked so I've been playing the ROM and got to the 4th stage. I'll get there. Hell, it took me longer to make it to stage 4 on Donpachi.

Awesome brotha! You'll get it soon, that 3rd boss is still an asshole.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

Working on mine as well man!