Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I have tried both Akai Katana and Espgaluda 2 on the 360.

I do not understand the scoring systems at all. No idea what the hell to do...looks easy in the videos, but I seem to randomly stumble across the proper method without actually knowing what to do.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
f76713f7-1.jpg

Boss.

Last boss always pissed me off.

You would have to time it PERFECTLY when he comes right at you.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
Played some ESP Ra.De. yesterday. That game is HARD! I normally do okay in Cave games but this one really busts my balls for some reason. Haven't made it past stage 3 yet.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'm still playing Dimahoo.
I just tried a no-item run with Gremlin and most bosses die after 1 level 8 magic and a point blank bomb...
Starting to think that using Karte as my main is holding me back.

Played some ESP Ra.De. yesterday. That game is HARD! I normally do okay in Cave games but this one really busts my balls for some reason. Haven't made it past stage 3 yet.

The main challenge is getting used to the hitbox. I think once you get a feel for it you'll realize the game isn't as brutal as it seems.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Bang and Gremlin are GREAT for Busting-Up Bosses.

But Karte and Moto are GREAT for Collecting Treasure.

I think Solo Bang is pretty good for collecting items too. Less random than Karte, although I usually still do better with Karte.

I've been playing a Tatsujin Oh board that I borrowed.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
I think Solo Bang is pretty good for collecting items too. Less random than Karte, although I usually still do better with Karte.

I've been playing a Tatsujin Oh board that I borrowed.

Tatsujin Oh is great but, man, it's hard. Some games get hard when you try to play for score, not that one. It's hard enough to just survive.

man, that PCB just mocks me :lolz:
I'll trade it for ten Pulstars.:cool:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Tatsujin Oh is great but, man, it's hard. Some games get hard when you try to play for score, not that one. It's hard enough to just survive.

I'll trade it for ten Pulstars.:cool:

:O, I'll stick out on the sms version for a bit :D

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Nice! I've been playing FZ recently too. The 16-ton bomb comes in handy on the last attack.

7631461894_c100d3c883_n.jpg

Nice! Not many of us have this PCB. It's pretty damn rare. Is yours original?

*slowly looks at kidpanda*

Last edited:

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Nice! Not many of us have this PCB. It's pretty damn rare. Is yours original?

*slowly looks at kidpanda*

I think it's original. I imported it from Japan and the listing didn't mention anything about being a rom conversion. It's the big 16A board and it has all of the ROM labels that match up to the numbers in mame. The rom labels look just like the original Sega rom labels on my other System16 boards. The only thing is that it doesn't have the Fantasy Zone label on the actual board like the others. Maybe the mainboard had been replaced from a different game and all of the original roms were carried over?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I think it's original. I imported it from Japan and the listing didn't mention anything about being a rom conversion. It's the big 16A board and it has all of the ROM labels that match up to the numbers in mame. The rom labels look just like the original Sega rom labels on my other System16 boards. The only thing is that it doesn't have the Fantasy Zone label on the actual board like the others. Maybe the mainboard had been replaced from a different game and all of the original roms were carried over?

Im thinking you want to sell it to me....i mean, you really want to..... /uses panda tech :lolz:

20 Year Member
Sounds like it's original, although there are a ton of conversions out there. You'd be able to tell if the EPROMs weren't original.

Here is mine
DSCN2156.jpg

DSCN2155.jpg

I've had to replace the CPU and one PAL IC. The joy of 80s tech...

Last edited:

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Im thinking you want to sell it to me....i mean, you really want to..... /uses panda tech :lolz:
So that's how you get all those Pulstars, Panda mind control...

Sounds like it's original, although there are a ton of conversions out there. You'd be able to tell if the EPROMs weren't original.

Here is mine

I've had to replace the CPU and one PAL IC. The joy of 80s tech...

Awesome! My eproms look just like yours but mine's only missing that 83-5939-01 Fantasy Zone sticker like yours has. I don't know why anyone would take it off and the eprom stickers are too good to be fake reproductions, so that's why I'm guessing that my board was switched out and the original eproms carried over. 80's tech indeed:). It's such a cool game. How were you able to get a new PAL for it, I thought PAL chips were for security/protection?

20 Year Member
As for the PAL chip, I had the board shipped off for repair. The guy who repaired it had to program one. I powered the board on one day and it was in a constant reboot.

If i'm not mistaken, I think you could order just the ROM kit for System 16 boards, so that could be what happened with yours. I've seen just the original ROMs for sale on YJ once before.

It's a slice of Sega history!

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
As for the PAL chip, I had the board shipped off for repair. The guy who repaired it had to program one. I powered the board on one day and it was in a constant reboot.

If i'm not mistaken, I think you could order just the ROM kit for System 16 boards, so that could be what happened with yours. I've seen just the original ROMs for sale on YJ once before.

It's a slice of Sega history!

It's great that you were able to get your board repaired. Classic game. You know if it ever got released in US arcades? I've never seen a board for sale on ebay/forums and I'd been looking for years.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Playing Star Soldier on the NES.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Nice! I recently played Super Star Soldier on the Turbob I have always loved the Soldier series.

20 Year Member
Nice! I recently played Super Star Soldier on the Turbob I have always loved the Soldier series.

Hey man! You need to jump in Neo chat more often!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Mars Matrix on DC... starting to get a little annoyed by the fact that I cannot seem to save any of my high score achievements, making unlocking all the extras a little challenging for me.

Any ideas, someone? Does the game really have no save feature, or am I missing something? :spock:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'm 99% sure there is an Auto-Save feature, you might have to turn it on though. Are you using a Dreamcast pad or a converter? I have a Total Control 3 for my Saturn pad and I know the VMU doesn't work with it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm 99% sure there is an Auto-Save feature, you might have to turn it on though. Are you using a Dreamcast pad or a converter? I have a Total Control 3 for my Saturn pad and I know the VMU doesn't work with it.

Hmmmn... I play with the DC arcade stick, as I do with all my DC shmups. Maybe I'll try plugging in a control pad and see what happens.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
NOT SURE WHAT POSSESSED ME...
but I decided to put Empire of Steel/The Steel Empire on my MD the other day. I'd forgotten how much I love that game. The level designs are very cool and the music is fantastic!

It's quite easy to 1cc though. I was probably pretty close to 'no miss'ing it tbh. I'll have to tune it up a bit, or just use the Zeppelin instead!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

I loved that in the original you could hide under the background, a feature that was taken out in the latter installments and remains absent in the ps2 remake.