Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Breetai

New Challenger
Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Genesis.

50 posts so I can chat in the trollbox again.

But, you know, if you really think about it... Sonic HIMSELF is a bullet. He hurls himself around just like one.

So now I'm playing Viewpoint. On the Genesis.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
50 posts so I can chat in the trollbox again.

But, you know, if you really think about it... Sonic HIMSELF is a bullet. He hurls himself around just like one.

So now I'm playing Viewpoint. On the Genesis.

i was kinda surprised with the genny port, kinda decent

TonK

Least Valuable Player
When I get free time, I play a few credits of Akai Katana and DOJ.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
just had a decent run on Ghost Pilots, my personal best, but still pretty bad.:(

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I'VE BEEN HITTING UP...
Shienryu on the Saturn as of late. Not sure what the general consensus is around here, but I find it doesn't really get much attention vs it's Saturn 'peers'. Personally I think it's a really solid title and I really like it's minute attention to detail. Whilst there's no denying it's 'influences', it's still a razor sharp game in my eyes!

Haven't 1CC'd it yet, although I'm more inclined to think this can be done as a no miss run tbh. I'm maybe a bit too laid back to get this done anytime soon though...

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I'VE BEEN HITTING UP...
Shienryu on the Saturn as of late. Not sure what the general consensus is around here, but I find it doesn't really get much attention vs it's Saturn 'peers'. Personally I think it's a really solid title and I really like it's minute attention to detail. Whilst there's no denying it's 'influences', it's still a razor sharp game in my eyes!

Haven't 1CC'd it yet, although I'm more inclined to think this can be done as a no miss run tbh. I'm maybe a bit too laid back to get this done anytime soon though...

I haven't tried the saturn version, the copy I have is the jp ps2 budget version with shienryu explosion on it as well. Snagged it for $4 shipped lol. I like the game, You are very right about the attention to detail as well Ninja, I really dig the sounds, music is pretty catchy, love the backgrounds. Only thing I'm not wild about (I'm not sure if it is across all ports and the arcade version as well) is the checkpoint respawn. Pretty common feature in the old days, but it's one of my least favorite aspects of shmups, I have a difficult time keeping interest with the games that have it. Otherwise tho, I Really like this game, contemplating picking up the stv cart someday.

Breetai

New Challenger
I'VE BEEN HITTING UP...

I quite like it. I used to have it on the Saturn, but sold my stuff a while back and haven't reacquired it again yet. I currently have the PS1 version as a downloadable on the PSN (PS3/PSP).

Definitely a fun game, but I still prefer some others on the Saturn. It's greatness is simply overshadowed by more greatness.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I think it turned out much better than the PlayStation port. All things considered.

Yea that version was a trainwreck, should have offered a version that was flat shaded and the music sucked as well. Great way to ruin an awesome game

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
busted out the old nes and played some Star Force for a while yesterday :D

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I finally had time to open up Mushimesama. Totally loving it but I don't see an "original" / arcade / non-360 mode. Maybe that's what the DLC card is for?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Played a little R+R and Bosconian today

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Carrier Airwing/US Navy.

Totally awesome; worth it even if you've played UN Squad/Area 88 to death.

Not just a milking of the Area 88 engine-totally tweaked detailing, akin to the level of CyberBots w/ environmental and background effects.

As much as I miss Saki giving me my orders, Sean 'Cap' Connery is a nice touch, lol.

4453763b-d580-40b7.jpg

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Carrier Airwing/US Navy.

Totally awesome; worth it even if you've played UN Squad/Area 88 to death.

Not just a milking of the Area 88 engine-totally tweaked detailing, akin to the level of CyberBots w/ environmental and background effects.

As much as I miss Saki giving me my orders, Sean 'Cap' Connery is a nice touch, lol.

4453763b-d580-40b7.jpg

I always wondered what was up with Saki's forehead.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I always wondered what was up with Saki's forehead.

Lol, iknorite?

Dude has a fivehead!

All kidding aside, indulge my otaku-nerdiness for a moment.

Saki's Father & Uncle had a major falling out. Saki sides w/ the Uncle, in an attempt to coup-de-tat the kingdom (hence the mercenary airforce Area 88, as opposed to the the loyalist of Asran).

In an attempt at Penance toward the Royal Family (that he betrayed), and to mark himself forever as married to the cause of his Uncle, he gouged the 'xross' into his forehead w/ a KABAR.

[/nerdmode]

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Just got Strikers 1945 Plus. Loving it.

Very unforgiving on the credits though this game :)

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

Strikers is easily my favorite MVS shoot em up.

There's a bit of a learning curve - lots of memorization. After a while, it'll start to feel fairly easy, at least for the first four or five stages.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
just had a decent run on Ghost Pilots, my personal best, but still pretty bad.:(

Nice to see some neo shooters getting some love. I played Aero Fighters 3 last night. Nice and simple and a big change in pace from the Cave and Raizing I've been playing lately. I might pop in Ghost Pilots tonight. It's a bigtime Toaplan clone but there's something about it that I like.

G-sample

Cheng's Errand Boy
Strikers is great one. I just parted ways with my cart. But its ok though. I just fired up some souky on the saturn and got murdered! Lol. Good stuff.