Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Looks like ESPRaDe will end up as my first board, due to arrive sometime next week! Splatter-shot milking doesn't interest me, I'm not a world record kinda guy.

In the meanwhile I've been back on DOJ BL on 360. Finally getting a decent grip on using Type-A(EXY), just missed reaching the second loop, but it'll come eventually. I've only cleared the first loop once, and that was with Type-B (shotia).

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Still on DFK. I can usually get to the last level, but those circle formations of lasers are killing me. If they'd stay still I'd be OK, but the expanding / contracting is killing me.

Is there a way to "lock in" your combo? I'll get up to 2k and stop chaining to make sure I get the 2k but then it quickly drops down to like 1.5k. Uhg. Do I have to waste a bomb?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Been playing Progear for a couple days. Still trying to get the hang of it, not going to post my high score, it sucks :(

Kiken

Camel Slug
Still on DFK. I can usually get to the last level, but those circle formations of lasers are killing me. If they'd stay still I'd be OK, but the expanding / contracting is killing me.

The whole level requires a fair bit of practice. Just remember, if you're sitting on a Hyper, you can use the start-up frames from initiation to plow through stuff (since you're invincible for about a second or so).

Is there a way to "lock in" your combo? I'll get up to 2k and stop chaining to make sure I get the 2k but then it quickly drops down to like 1.5k. Uhg. Do I have to waste a bomb?

No. Your chain count will raise as you hit targets but will begin to drop if the chain bar flatlines (assuming you are not in Hyper Standby). When you aren't in Hyper Standby and your chain bar flatlines, both your chain count and your hyper meter will start dropping. If either terminates, the chain is ended.

If you are in Hyper Standby or in Hyper usage and the chain bar flatlines, the chain is instantly ended. If you are hit or use a bomb, the chain is instantly ended (unless you're playing in Novice Mode).

Remember that uncovering bees and initiating a Hyper will both spike the chain bar (along with destruction of enemies). Also, the chain bar can be preserved by using your laser on strong targets (so long as your laser is hitting something, the chain bar will stall at about 10%).

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
I'm playing Alpha Mission 2. Found it hard to get into this at first - seems overly complex. But now i know what i'm doing, its not bad for a very early Neo Geo shooter. You can see they (SNK) put quite a lot of work into this game.

I find it a bit annoying the order you get the powerups. i would rather it cycled through the speed-ups, extra laser and extra missile powerups rather than give you all speed-ups first, and then move on to lasers and finally missiles. I know you can shoot them to cycle but its quite annoying having to do that - especially since i prefer not to collect all the speed-ups. Good game though if not outstanding. I play this on MVS difficulty level, but it does seem quite tough even so.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I was finally able to play my first MVS game today, so I popped in Prehistoric Isle 2 and it was awesome!!! Very cool game, and I like picking up the refugees...and let's face it, you're shooting down dinosaurs!

Hawkeye

n00b
My last shooter was Blazing Lazers on the turbografx, but I'm looking forward to playing Aero Fighters and Blazing Star on my 2-slot. It's too bad the modern fps killed the shmup genre :(

Chempop

Played a bunch of Sky Shark, Sagaia, and Raiden Trad on Genny this weekend. Went back to DOJ BL and cleared the 1st loop with EXY for the first time ever. I thought I had enough Bees to make it to the second loop but I guess not; plus my score was under 100 mil and in the end I used every bomb and life to just squeak my way to the credits.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
Bought Darius Burst for iOS. Bit pricey but worth it. Very good game and controls great on the touchscreen. Music is pretty good too. Managed to get the 1cc yesterday on default settings. Love the fact that you can choose different routes.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Still on DFK. I died a few minutes after the second mid-boss. How many mid-bosses are there? 3? 50?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rayforce iOS. An all time favorite of mine, now tate-riffic on the go.

Recommended.

Chempop

Getting my groove on with ESPRaDe. Pretty easy for a cave game, I can see clearing this one in under a week. Great game though, and my first PCB!
The AV7000 supergun I recently got is pretty damn nice, the feeling of playing real arcade games at home... oh, how I've waited for this moment - it has been a loooong time coming (+20 years).

Kiken

Camel Slug
Still on DFK. I died a few minutes after the second mid-boss. How many mid-bosses are there? 3? 50?

Stages 1 through 4 all have two mid-bosses, but you'll only fight one of them (depends on what route you trigger) per stage. Stage 5 has 4 mid-bosses in total, but you'll only have to fight 2 (again, depends on the stage route).

In preparation for Under Defeat HD, I've popped the DC version back in and have been practicing.

Last edited:

Chempop

In preparation for Under Defeat HD, I sold my dreamcast copy. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake, I don't even have a pre-order placed yet.
Supposedly the boss music in the remix mode is missing :(

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have been playing Magical Chase. I have beaten several times on the bumpy (normal) difficulty. I am now working on the rough (hard) difficulty.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Played a lot of Thunderforce IV last week...those orange lasers on the sandstorm level are a fucking bitch.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I set up my Genesis a couple weeks ago and haven't looked back. I've been playing the hell out of Truxton, Trouble Shooter, Thunder Force III, and Hellfire.

I've been trying to get into Phelios, but I'm not liking it too much. The controls feel a bit sluggish and the hitbox is huge. Oh well, I'll go back to playing the good ones.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
Saturday I played DDP Resurrection and Deathsmiles all day on my xbox 360. Managed to get my first Cave game 1cc in Deathsmiles. Only managed to get to stage 5 in DDP Resurrection.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
Played some Gun-Nac, Crisis Force, and my PAL copy of Over Horizon on the NES. Also played some Thunderforce IV, Lords of Thunder, Kaio Flying Squadron and Robo Aleste on SEGA CDX.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Under Defeat, and lots of it (been switching back and forth between the DC and 360 versions).

By the way, for those that are playing UD-HD on 4:3 tate tvs and want full-screen tate for Arcade Mode, you need to first go into your console's Display submenu and select anamorphic Widescreen. Then, start up the game and under the Screen option, change the Wallpaper setting to 'Type Clear'.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Under Defeat, and lots of it (been switching back and forth between the DC and 360 versions).

OMG how did I miss this release for 360? I can't believe I didn't see this coming out, I'm off to secure a copy now!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Ketsui, gotta keep on going till I don't suck at it anymore.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Picked up a sega Saturn at a flea market a few weeks ago. I've been playing some of the ports like radiant silvergun, and daily I've been playing donpachi. Despite the obnoxious loading times, I am among one of my favorite cave shooters of all time once again.

Going for the 1cc!!

-Bill