Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
A couple of my friends were able to play Ibara (on an New Astro City) for the first time. All I had to do was fire up the cab and show them the "Demonscracion" (That's EspGaluda II's Engrish) screen and they were immediately hooked. I'm glad they took a liking to the game even though they died ~20 times.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Piratero said:
A couple of my friends were able to play Ibara (on an New Astro City) for the first time. All I had to do was fire up the cab and show them the "Demonscracion" (That's EspGaluda II's Engrish) screen and they were immediately hooked. I'm glad they took a liking to the game even though they died ~20 times.

I have a very hard time getting my friends to play shmups.

They become so intimidated by the first couple of stages, they just give up every time.

I guess starting them out with feveron and raiden fighters may have been a bad idea.:emb:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
alec said:
Super awsome game. I got the nes cart for like 1.70 shipped a while back, well worth it.

played fever sos today
Got mine from, 16-Bit at his ebay store for only $19.95.

I couldn't pass up a copy cib of it since i like the cover art.

Btw it put's the cover art for the u.s one to shame :p
GLpic.jpg

Last edited:

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Circa2113 said:
I have a very hard time getting my friends to play shmups.

They become so intimidated by the first couple of stages, they just give up every time.

I guess starting them out with feveron and raiden fighters may have been a bad idea.:emb:

I'm surprised they enjoyed the game. As they were playing I explained how the whole medal thing works and how it isn't a good idea to have two players playing at the same time.

Yeah, I bet you're having a hard time. Most are 360 fanatics. My brother doesn't like shmups at all. To him, they're very boring... they're not 3D.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Piratero said:
I'm surprised they enjoyed the game. As they were playing I explained how the whole medal thing works and how it isn't a good idea to have two players playing at the same time.

Yeah, I bet you're having a hard time. Most are 360 fanatics. My brother doesn't like shmups at all. To him, they're very boring... they're not 3D.

Well, If it isn't dreamcast or better, I rarely have anyone to play with.
I did get one of my cousins into samurai shodown 4 and zupapa!, but outside of that, 2d gaming is dead to my family.

Most wont even touch the game if it is without "teh HD polygons" Honestly though, for shmups this is usually a good thing. 99% of shmups become much less playable with 2 players. (only one I can think of off the top of my head would be stinger for nes)

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Circa2113 said:
Well, If it isn't dreamcast or better, I rarely have anyone to play with.
I did get one of my cousins into samurai shodown 4 and zupapa!, but outside of that, 2d gaming is dead to my family.

Most wont even touch the game if it is without "teh HD polygons" Honestly though, for shmups this is usually a good thing. 99% of shmups become much less playable with 2 players. (only one I can think of off the top of my head would be stinger for nes)

Ha! At least your family plays your games! With my brother, the problem is usually that he gets easily frustrated and has to start over.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Got mine from, 16-Bit at his ebay store for only $19.95.

I couldn't pass up a copy cib of it since i like the cover art.

Btw it put's the cover art for the u.s one to shame :p
GLpic.jpg
yeah, thats sex, but nothing will ever bring shame to the US guardian legend NES cover.

I'd love to get a Famicom system, but buying dupes just to have diff cover art just doesn't sit right w/ me. I may cop out and get a PS2 soon :shame: on me. Or I may just do the dumb thing and drop a fortune on a circuit board

:esprade:

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
ESPgaluda just showed up and I'm going to play now.:buttrock:

Will post my impressions later.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Circa2113 said:
ESPgaluda just showed up and I'm going to play now.:buttrock:

Will post my impressions later.

...and....

It's awesome! Seems a bit easy for a cave shmup, but everything seems so perfectly designed. The gameplay is indepth but not too complicted, the music is top-notch, and the graphics are great.

I'm really happy with this purchase.:D

BIG

sony fanboy
Circa2113 said:
...and....

It's awesome! Seems a bit easy for a cave shmup, but everything seems so perfectly designed. The gameplay is indepth but not too complicted, the music is top-notch, and the graphics are great.

I'm really happy with this purchase.:D

Easy?

Are you force-feeding credits?

In other news,I'm playing Judgement Silversword.

The game is pure sex....portable sex.

B-

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
BIG said:
Easy?

Are you force-feeding credits?

In other news,I'm playing Judgement Silversword.

The game is pure sex....portable sex.

B-

No, I never use more than 1 credit...:conf:

It just seemed a lot easier than most cave shmups as I just got it today and I've already made it to well into stage 4. Maybe the difficulty goes up drastically after that?

BIG

sony fanboy
Circa2113 said:
No, I never use more than 1 credit...:conf:

It just seemed a lot easier than most cave shmups as I just got it today and I've already made it to well into stage 4. Maybe the difficulty goes up drastically after that?

galuda...

my bad...i thought it was 'rade.

silly me.

:emb:

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
BIG said:
galuda...

my bad...i thought it was 'rade.

silly me.

:emb:

No problem.

ESPRade is definitely a completely different story. I've played it for months now, and I'm just now consistently making it to stage 5. I completely fall apart when I get there though.:oh_no:

BIG

sony fanboy
Circa2113 said:
No problem.

ESPRade is definitely a completely different story. I've played it for months now, and I'm just now consistently making it to stage 5. I completely fall apart when I get there though.:oh_no:

'rade is sick.

prolly one of my fav shmup of all time.

B-

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
BIG said:
'rade is sick.

prolly one of my fav shmup of all time.

B-

Indeed.

I would probably but it behind dodonpachi, but otherwise, out of what I've played, it is simply one of the best.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
alec said:
yeah, thats sex, but nothing will ever bring shame to the US guardian legend NES cover.

I'd love to get a Famicom system, but buying dupes just to have diff cover art just doesn't sit right w/ me. I may cop out and get a PS2 soon :shame: on me. Or I may just do the dumb thing and drop a fortune on a circuit board

:esprade:
Well you could all ways pickup a converter such as the, Honeybee and use it to play famicom carts on the nes.

I'm famicom only since i sold nes long ago.

Not to mention collecting famicom carts isn't to expensive. Plus... the size of the carts are small and don't take up too much space.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Ketsui and ESPGaluda II are amazing.

seriously.

I got to play Pink Sweets and Mushi-Futari, but god damn, Ketsui and Galuda II take the fucking cake.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
roker said:
Ketsui and ESPGaluda II are amazing.

seriously.

I got to play Pink Sweets and Mushi-Futari, but god damn, Ketsui and Galuda II take the fucking cake.

Games mentioned in above post: 4
Games mentioned in the above post that I can afford: 0

:angry:

BIG

sony fanboy
Ketsui is sick, but I wouldn't pay the current market price for it.

Is Futari any diff from Mushi, or is it more of the same ala 'galuda II?

B-

bay

Armored Scrum Object
BIG said:
Ketsui is sick, but I wouldn't pay the current market price for it.

Is Futari any diff from Mushi, or is it more of the same ala 'galuda II?

B-

i feel futari is a different game, tho i've been playing the maniac mode tonight. it has an esp2 scoring feel with gems and multipliers which i dig..... i guess the same reason i like esp2.

roker said:

once i read up on the futari strat i was really digging the maniac mode dude.

we're running through sweets right now, im getting the hang out of it. time to read up.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
So, let's say I were to save up my money for any one cave shmup...what would you recommend?

I have Dangun, ESPrade and ESPgaluda so far...

BIG

sony fanboy
Circa2113 said:
So, let's say I were to save up my money for any one cave shmup...what would you recommend?

I have Dangun, ESPrade and ESPgaluda so far...

I'd go with either Guwange or Pro-Gear..but that's just me.

The 'pachis also make good pick ups.

B-

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
BIG said:
I'd go with either Guwange or Pro-Gear..but that's just me.

The 'pachis also make good pick ups.

B-

Dodonpachi is pretty high on my wanted list as it usually goes for less than $200 from most arcade vendors in Japan.

Guwange is nice, I'm just not sure I want to lay down $400 on it. I've played it in mame, and I actually prefer some of the games I have now. Very nice game, I just don't think it is worth what it costs...

I may go for a progear though, I could use some variety. A horizontal manic is a very cool concept as far as I'm concerned.