Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

powerflower

Banned
Dude, what is your problem? Did I hurt you? Are you obsessed with something? Pls. do not stalk on me, thank you... and take some:-J:-J:-J You need that...

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Super Star Soldier (PC Engine) and demo of Q-YO Blaster (PC Steam) [demo here, page Steam)

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Tatsujin on my Genny-BIOS, aka Truxton, plus runnin it on "easy". Soothing my nerves with one relaxed 1cc of the first loop.

Followup: I compared the PCE version with the Genesis one and the latter wins for me:

1. The music on SEGA's port is, arguably, better, comes entirely without a groove, is therefore far more engaging, with an uncanny tension opposed to the Engine version, which reaches elevator music qualities.

2. Sound F/X is indesputable better on the Genny. PCE sounds like constant white noise (red), IPCRESS-file psycho-sonority like in RayXanber III (green) or Alec Empire-like distortion of a sawtooth wave (blue) with all explosions being absolutely flat.

3. Visually it's a draw: PCE has color & flickering, Genny has resolution but no fullscreen.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I finally ordered Psyvariar 1 for PS2. Should be here in a few weeks. I cleared the sequel after only a few days of practice, so hopefully I can 1CC this one, too.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Since you can't add money to your WiiWare account starting in March, I picked up Gradius ReBirth. Like it so far.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Raiden Fighters Aces caught my attention: The brute violence of this trio is extreme, yet, a surprising relaxation radiates from its glow, and the Schranz soundtrack is one of a kind.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Been playing lots of Darius Gaiden.

I can't believe this game flew under my radar for so long! Never really been a Darius fan for whatever reason, but this game is solid from top to bottom.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Since you can't add money to your WiiWare account starting in March, I picked up Gradius ReBirth. Like it so far.

And 1CC done. Short but fun. Used the Gradius 1 loadout (e.g. missle, double, laser, multiple, shield).

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Tried Type D and Type E. Type D's up laser is hilarious. Depending on the situation, it's other OP or completely useless. Type E makes the game a joke. Got a 1CC my first try with it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I tried Gaiares for the nth time, this time it worked better. Still a bit boring, very, eh, anti-arcadey with its stretched, platformer-like structured levels and somewhat intrusive visual diversity: guillotines, plasma globes, O'Neill cylinders and an aurora borealis... there's a lot of Gradius (the ice-stage, vertically scrolling areas) and some Darius (the first level cave, some fish shaped enemies) and of course the R-Type Force: a paella of innovative leftovers.

The idea of the thief-satellite is neat and clever, but also annoying. Clever, because of the variety of implemented weapons, a pain in the ass, because you are forced by the gameplay to fully commit to this concept and constantly change your shooter. Like early on, when you get this slick weapon from the Darius-like eel with a dragon shaped head -- puh, paella again. This arched laser shots you steal from him are great, but you won't crack the shell of the mechanical mermaid boss with it. So you have to abandon it. Abandon a very good weapon. The developers successfully undermined the idiom never change a winning team.

The music is very catchy, but the loops very short, which turns catchy into boring very fast. The game is very varying, yet very long, which turns varying into tiresome... and so on. Each of Gaiares' stellar qualities seems to leave you with an itch you can never scratch. Hot coffee and the sexy japanese cover will keep you motivated to reach the end, but you won't shake the feeling, that that's not the way it should be.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Been playing lots of Darius Gaiden.

I can't believe this game flew under my radar for so long! Never really been a Darius fan for whatever reason, but this game is solid from top to bottom.

yeah, gaiden is different, especially from the one that came before it and one of the best shooters of all time imo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
yeah, gaiden is different, especially from the one that came before it and one of the best shooters of all time imo.

The easy route makes it very accessible and the F3 special F/X a psychodelic roller coaster. Yet, I still prefer Darius II.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I popped in Psyvariar 1 today. Hoo boy does the original suck. Good thing Revision is great. I only got to put to runs in but I got to the 4th boss on scrub style playing. IIRC, the stage path gets harder the better you play, so by playing scrubby, I was taking an easy path. If I were buzzing more bullets, and leveling up like crazy, I doubt I'd be able to get to the penultimate stage like I did.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
1CC'd Psyvariar Revision on a scrub path.

I've been getting a little more aggressive with buzzing, which is opening up new levels. The cloud level in this game is really cool.

My main complaint with this game is that the image seems a bit fuzzy, so it can be hard to scrape bullets and not die sometimes. Also, the factory level has a mostly red / orange lava background, which makes it really hard to see red, orang, and purple bullets. WTF were they thinking?

xardion

n00b
Just got Ghost pilots for the Aes , how the friggin hell are you supposed to play this game everything else moves at 3x the speed of your plane and there are homing missiles and planes chasing you from every direction.luckily there are infinite continues.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just got Ghost pilots for the Aes , how the friggin hell are you supposed to play this game everything else moves at 3x the speed of your plane and there are homing missiles and planes chasing you from every direction.luckily there are infinite continues.

A 1cc is easy, you need to learn patterns and when to drop bombs. Game is terrible though.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing a friend's Hyper Duel board. Well, he's borrowing the board from one of his friends.

I got the clear after not having played the game for years. I managed rank by avoiding a lot of the helper options...even though I've read that collecting helper options won't increase rank. Crappy score though but really cool to have a chance to play this game on original hardware.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I managed rank by avoiding a lot of the helper options...even though I've read that collecting helper options won't increase rank.

Could it be that the arcade version on the Saturn differs from the board you played?

I could only play and compare the revised & original version on the disc and can confirm that the latter is easier. As far as I experienced it, rank wasn't an issue, it was more the question of how many lives the 6th stage boss cost you. Controlling rank wasn't that significant. My guess is: you're just a good player ;).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Could it be that the arcade version on the Saturn differs from the board you played?

I could only play and compare the revised & original version on the disc and can confirm that the latter is easier. As far as I experienced it, rank wasn't an issue, it was more the question of how many lives the 6th stage boss cost you. Controlling rank wasn't that significant. My guess is: you're just a good player ;).

If it differs I don't believe anyone has confirmed/documented any proof.

I think Saturn mode is supposed to be harder than AC (whether it be PCB or port). However, the mech shot lock-on mechanic is definitely something I use as a crutch, so historically I've always struggled with AC hyper duel.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So I was watching a SegaGaGa Domain / Yakumo video on Friday night and he was showing how to spot the different between a Japanese and Asian Mega Drive. I freaked out because from what he was saying, mine was Asian. So on Saturday, I got out Gunstar Heroes (region locked to JP) and it booted up fine. So he's misinformed. Anyway, while I had the MD hooked up, I threw in Twinkle Tale. I got pretty far using the continues, but I can't imagine anyone clearing this game for real, since it's a one-life game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Played some dfk last night. Would like the get a 2-all on it sometime.
935a653129612f1d5ea2966124840757.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Got 15.7 million, lvl 79 clear in Psyvariar Revision tonight. I'm hoping to get to ~22M before submitting to shmups.