Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah? I heard that one wasnt quite as good as the SEGA CD version. Dont remember what the differences were supposed to be though

The Sega CD version is an somewhat inferior port of the Turbo CD original. Still a solid game but a little bit easy. Once you have 1cc'd it, try the more challenging OG game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Played a couple of credits on Donpachi last night. Beat my old score. Made some crap mistakes though that cost me seeing at least Stage 2-5.

2da5237b1137b3ec298d4777958357e6.jpg

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...those checkpoints!

...those tracks! Mr. Fingers (As Wet as a Fish) meets NPG (R Dance) in the summer cabin Smokey Robinson once owned (Dream of a Labyrinth), or so the legend goes. Hey, and it's all made with that phony S-SMP. Gotta love Kawakami's sense of humor ;).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Bee Storm.

I like the energy / scraping mechanic, but if I'm hoping to clear the game, I'm probably going to have to play it safe and go with the bomb option. I started playing Sunday and I can make it to the end of the third stage...

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Bee Storm.

I like the energy / scraping mechanic, but if I'm hoping to clear the game, I'm probably going to have to play it safe and go with the bomb option. I started playing Sunday and I can make it to the end of the third stage...

i always wanted to play this, but never was able to get it to run on mame as well as third strike.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
i always wanted to play this, but never was able to get it to run on mame as well as third strike.

It gets a bad rap but that’s only because it’s has DoDonPachi in the name. On its own merit it’s totally solid.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Recently picked up (Limited Run Games) physical PS4 copy of Super Hydorah.
I have to say, it is fantastic and unbelievable that this was done by a one-man team. Feels like a modern retro shooter with everything I want in it, including weird secrets and alternate endings.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Week off. Played and finished;
Super r-type
R-type 3
Gradius 2
Gradius 3
Gynoug
Phalanx
Bio-metal

Cheated like hell except for super r-type but I had a good time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Darius Gaiden (Sat), currently trying other routes than the obvious ABDHLQV one. With auto-fire it's not impossible.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Since I picked up R-Types for PS1, I've had a much easier time getting to know the individual sections in the first game. Managed to make it to the 5th level for the first time EVAH, and went back to the TG16 version just for kicks...made it to level 3 on one credit. Definite improvement!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Not sure if Cannon Spike counts but got the 1 credit clear on the first loop level 5 normal with big boi damage Arthur. Hopefully by the end of the year I can get a recording setup to upload to the internetz.

nJ6liexh.jpg

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I did another 1cc of the first loop with Charlie. His main light gun is good, his heavy gun attack pierces and does good damage but doesn't stun enemies. His light melee is real good, and his heavy melee flashkick is good but god help you if you whiff. Bomb is just a whole bunch of sonic booms and kinda sucks.

Kinu Nishimura did a real great job drawing these character portraits.

YpPShSch.jpg

Here is a shitty video of me doing a run on demul. Almost got wrecked by Jungle Master Tasuke in the corner. Proper bomb usage is going to be key for 2nd loop since Arthur can't dodge worth a shit due to his hitbox and slow movement speed. He does big boi damage though so you can bruteforce some stuff.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Picked Blast Wind back up. Got to the final level with FOUR extra ships. Of course stuff in my house started going bonkers as soon as the final stage started and I lost my concentration. Ended up getting three stupid deaths and losing on the second form of the boss.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Tempest 4000. (XB1)

I've been absolutely hooked on it, playing for score for hours, every weekend for the past few months. I'm really digging the gameplay and the trippy music & visuals. Some of the stages starting at level 30 or so start warping & manipulating the playfield, and you've really got to concentrate to keep track of everything. I've managed to crack the top 10 on the online leaderboards for pure mode, but the #1 score is almost 5 million points ahead of #2, which is ridiculous.

It's a great evolution in the series, even if it is something of a re-skin of TxK.

Anybody else into this one? I haven't seen any real chatter about it online.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hyper Duel, Saturn version. So far, the toughest character to play with is Keith. He's the only one that requires constant shifting from one form (ship) to another (mecha). Definitely not suitable for casual playing.

Zak

WWJCVDD?,
Thunder Dragon 2 - this game is sublime. Close second to Rapid Hero for me (NMK ranking).

Need to make it past stage 5 :p early days!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
After a lot of Pulstar and Sonic Wings 2, I’ve been in a psikyo mood so it’s just been Sengoku Ace and Gunbird as of late.