Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Just picked up DariusBurst CS on the PS4 and fucking love it. Granted it's been a while since I have played a modern shmup, but this one was on sale for 9.99$ and I couldn't say no. Grinding out for my first ship is interesting though.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I've been back on a Psikyo kick lately. Playing Tengai in my horizontal cabinet with Gunbird 2 in the vertical.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Beat Batsugun Original this weekend and Im working on the 3rd loop for Special version :D so this is my life lately B)

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Working on Air Gallet again. Almost got to 1 mill, got rocked on the 3rd level. The bosses in this game are ridiculous.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
XG Blast! on the Nintendo DS. It's a shameless Geometry Wars knockoff, but a great one. So far, I've made it to the third boss, a giant jellyfish, but it corner trapped me and I couldn't successfully dodge all of its projectiles in that confined space, so, I went kaboom, and that was my last ship. The one room constant enemy barrage is definitely a different design approach to shooters than I'm used to, but I'm digging it.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Working on Air Gallet again. Almost got to 1 mill, got rocked on the 3rd level. The bosses in this game are ridiculous.

I got this board recently in a trade. It looks great but I'm not that into it. I might just sell it since I know I won't devote much time to playing it. I'll admit I'm not good enough to ever beat this.:lolz:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I got this board recently in a trade. It looks great but I'm not that into it. I might just sell it since I know I won't devote much time to playing it. I'll admit I'm not good enough to ever beat this.:lolz:

Hey Joe, LMK if you decide to sell up ;)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm banned from the marketplace.:lolz:

You've been restricted since the purge and you still post here. How many years ago was that?
How many in your position have stuck around?

I have thought about your situation before, Joe T.

I vote for Joe T. to have his market privileges restored. Also, I do not wish to buy an Air Gallet board.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You've been restricted since the purge and you still post here. How many years ago was that?
How many in your position have stuck around?

I have thought about your situation before, Joe T.

I vote for Joe T. to have his market privileges restored. Also, I do not wish to buy an Air Gallet board.
Joe T does not need this market to thrive, man is always swinging top tier stuff, no joke. He's right to laugh about it, this market is dying something fierce.

Edit: More like this market needs more people like Joe T to thrive. Also not looking to buy the Air Gallet PCB...already got it way back when it was at a decent price.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I appreciate the sentiment. I wasn't too surprised when my account was restricted. I probably had as many posts in the market forum as I did anywhere else. I also understand that I still don't post much, so I have realistic expectations about market access.

On topic, I've started playing Batsugun again and still blow it on level five every time.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm banned from the marketplace.:lolz:

LOL, hit me up on shmups then.

BTW, can someone explain WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK was Joe banned from the market here?!? Ridiculous!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Been putting some time into R-Type PCE and I'm loving every flickery second. Not sure what's harder, getting through stage 6 or getting the stage 2 song out of you head.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
tried to play R-Type on the Amiga but the disk was doing just "grrr grrr". So I decided to use the SNES version which wasnt´very good. Maybe I should also try the PCE version, but no PC Engine here. Problems over problems....

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Once you get through stage 6 in pce R-Type you'll probably do it consistently. It's one of those parts you just have to know the path.

Stage 7 is where I still get stuck. Need a good route and good dodging for the second half.

Good news is that the pce version is very close to arcade gameplay wise. I was able to transition strategies with little effort.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I received Nanostray 2 for NDS in the mail yesterday and finally got a chance to give it a whirl this morning. I enjoyed the first game and the reviews for the sequel made it seem even better, and it is. I made it six stages into the story mode before running out of continues, but it's pretty impressive so far and the bonus challenge stages are even better and more varied than the first game's. Rather than being completely vertical, this one alternates between horizontal and vertical stages and I also appreciate that you don't need to use the damn touch screen to switch weapons anymore (now you just select one special weapon at the outset of each level, and use the shoulder buttons to change the firing pattern of your main gun, which is much more sensible). It's a shame that there aren't more traditional shooters on the NDS, the only other one I can think of offhand is a Nickelodeon Danny Phantom game that I don't own but might pick up someday.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
got a 1CC in Batsugun special over the past weekend. Trying to improve that, and do more loops. Also been playing mushihimesama futari black label. I think I can get the 1CC with a little more practice

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I just discovered Jamestown+ on the PS4 lately. Played it for a few nights then had a solid 3-hour session until I could finally beat the last stage & boss. Game kicks all kinds of ass. I dig the steampunk Martian atmosphere, the music & sound effects are great, and it's a great "bullet-hell lite". Gonna go back to unlock & buy the rest of the ships and try to beat the challenges. Looking forward to trying the multi-player too, I hear there's a way to revive teammates Cuphead-style.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I finally got Keio Flying Squadron on Sega CD yesterday, and it's an interesting enough shooter that kind of makes me feel like I'm playing a game set in a Ghibli universe, but the power-up system is a little bland. Conversely, I just got a beautiful Genny repro of GleyLancer in recently, and that game is awesome! (first time playing it). HiSpec does some truly fantastic work on his Genesis repros.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I finally got Keio Flying Squadron on Sega CD yesterday, and it's an interesting enough shooter that kind of makes me feel like I'm playing a game set in a Ghibli universe, but the power-up system is a little bland. Conversely, I just got a beautiful Genny repro of GleyLancer in recently, and that game is awesome! (first time playing it). HiSpec does some truly fantastic work on his Genesis repros.

If you like Gleylancer, and haven't played it yet, check out Eliminate Down.