Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
^^ both great games, done in a coin no less.
giga wing and mars matrix for cps2, dreamcast and gamez-fan's arcade emulator for xbox original. (go xtras team)
dreamcast relz has no coin in dip, a true home export. :D

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
triggerheart exelica and strumwind for dreamcast. :D
datastorm, S.W.I.V. and silkworm run on a1200. (beats the sh@ out of defender and original tecmo relz of silkworm on many levels. cops can EAT IT that pair.)

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
triggerheart exelica

Really, really need to spend some more time with this one myself. Played a little what seems like a year or so back and really enjoyed the mechanic where you... spin enemies around like a hammer throw in the Olympics?

It was something like that.

Anyway, for me personally, I've been playing a good bit of Aero Fighters 2 on my NeoSD, about to start giving Blazing Lazers a run for its money on TG16 next.

Side note; more SHMUPs should have dolphins and infants for fighter pilots.

dolphin.png

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
playing blast wind on the saturn and it has bumped up within the ranks amongst my favourites on the system.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Had been playing Darius Gaiden on Saturn for a few weeks. Finally 1CCed a path on normal difficulty. Had 2 ships in stock. Kinda want to learn other paths now.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Dodonpachi for genesis

Slap Fight for the Mega Drive. It's incredibly good, both versions actually, with the Koshiro-scored Special one on top. So many secrets, so many bullets ;). ...here's a nice recent interview with its developer, Mr. Mikito Ichikawa:

Link 1: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-12-death-from-above-the-making-of-slap-fight-md

The afore mentioned dazzling Koshiro score is like a hommage to the best Konami tunes. You'll instantly recognize Akumayo, Contra and, of course, Gradius melodies. Since Slap Fight/Alcon was heavily Gradius inspired, it's a clever conceptual move by the FM Master himself.

Mr. Koshiro never was the most original composer per se, his influences are well known and well recognized within his works, but his post-modern approach towards video game music was simply brilliant and his chip-tune skills were just way ahead of its time.

Here's another nice and informative interview I recommend, this time about/with Yuzo Koshiro:

Link 2: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2014/09/yuzo-koshiro-interview

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Been at panda mountain all weekend. Played some good stuffs. Got some clears too.

d45abd984637f6e5ae739a6030dbebc2.jpg

0d9fc33ca2587586e1546bbef729023b.jpg

Got a 2-5 on DFK and another 2-3 on DOJBL.
Also got a stage 5 on Luda 2, not bad for not playing the game much.

Knocked out a 1 life clear on normal on gate of thunder.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Nice clears KP, do you stick with arcade mode in Akai? I found all three version worthwhile.

Chempop

[edit] Akai is one of my favorite cave games and easily one of the most ambitious and perhaps underrated, but there are truths even the most rabid of fanboys have to accept.

I'm fairly certain there are 4 different PCB/arcade releases from OG, red, white, and shin on nesica.
It is common knowledge that players cleared the arcade mode day 1, most never looked back. The game bombed.

If I had said Futari1.0, DFK1.0, DOJ-WL are also all botched, would you have asked me wtf I am talking about?

"With some of our previous games, like Akai Katana and Deathsmiles II, the development period was very short and we didn't have a lot of extra time to balance or fine-tune them. We received complaints from some of the players too... "what happened here?""
~ Ikeda

Last edited:

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Ohhhhh, I see what you mean. Still, I don't think the game is absurdly broken just because of it's low difficulty. Shooters don't have to be hard to be enjoyable. When you were saying botched, I thought you were more talking about a game like Skycurser that was released with 4 out of 6 stages, would reset in the middle of a run, and just plain wouldn't run on most cabs.

I feel like the balance of Akai is pretty neat. The scoring system is a rinse-repeat pattern like Ketsui and ESP series rather than a gigantic chain kind of scoring from the DDP series. As far as slowdown that people have talked about, I even made a video on YouTube comparing the 360 version with the PCB version a few years ago. I absolutely agree there is more slowdown on the PCB, but that's kind of intended. If you look at port vs board of pretty much any of the Cave games, there is significant amounts of slowdown that is lost on the port (Deathsmiles and DFK especially).

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Been at panda mountain all weekend. Played some good stuffs. Got some clears too.

d45abd984637f6e5ae739a6030dbebc2.jpg

0d9fc33ca2587586e1546bbef729023b.jpg

Got a 2-5 on DFK and another 2-3 on DOJBL.
Also got a stage 5 on Luda 2, not bad for not playing the game much.

Knocked out a 1 life clear on normal on gate of thunder.

Swwweeeet pandaman got a clear in MushiFutari finally!!

Chempop

@OGpanda, it's all good man, "botched" probably wasn't the best word to describe what I meant. Congrats on your Galuda2 clear with Asagi. I've been watching Aquas get back into it and it's tempted me to give it a whirl since I never did clear with anyone but Ageha.

Then again, I haven't touched a shooter in nearly a year outside of making sure my cabs still work, so maybe it's best to start with an easier one to find my bearings

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I don't understand Akai Katana. Tried it on Nesica and couldn't wrap my head around the system.

Chempop

Akai is a bit like galudaXgigawing with some extra depth regarding how to best refill your green E meter and how to cash in the reflected bullets.

After a long hiatus, I'm finding my bearings again and got a shitclear/1CC Mushihimesama Original Mode and Batrider Advanced Course (Shorty B).

I never got around to printing this marquee I designed ages ago, only problem is that I don't use my jamma verts in a blast anymore and am too lazy to resize it for astro

29026888066_01d5e373ce_c.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Dodonpachi 2. A lot easier than the other games, but doesn't seem to have a solid flow. Almost a 1cc on my second try.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Got through 2-2 on Cho Ren Sha x68k earlier - that music will now be in my head for days.