Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It only took 2 more runs, but I got it done. FUCK YES! I beat stage 9 with no health left and my stage 7 was pretty sketchy too. Stage 10 went okay. I immediatelly watched parts of a Shin 1CC on youtube to learn some more tricks. Hope to do the 1CC again a few more times. Honestly I didn't expect to get the 1CC so soon (less than 1 week).

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It's not a fluke! I didn't get another 1CC, but I did make it back to the final stage. Biggest help I got from the youtube video was using more special weapons instead of only buying health + shields for most stages. Bombs are great in stage 6 and napalm is a life saver in stage 9. Should be able to get another 1CC this week.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I always seem to find myself coming back to the Parodius and Twinbee games on my Saturn. I almost have all the Parodius games on the Saturn, but I'm just missing Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. I have the Super Famicom version for now though, so there's that. Thank god you can turn off the voices for that game though. If you understand Japanese, it must be nice. For anyone else, it kinda seems like a nuisance to have the voices on.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...but I'm just missing Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. I have the Super Famicom version for now though, so there's that. Thank god you can turn off the voices for that game though. If you understand Japanese, it must be nice. For anyone else, it kinda seems like a nuisance to have the voices on.

Get it for the Saturn, too. It's not that expensive, but the improved audio-visuals, resolution, lack of slowdowns and other additions are absolutely worth it. I could also imagine, that the chatting is especially annoying for those, who understand it. It's so limited, that after a while it resembles a skipping needle on a broken vinyl ;).

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Get it for the Saturn, too. It's not that expensive, but the improved audio-visuals, resolution, lack of slowdowns and other additions are absolutely worth it. I could also imagine, that the chatting is especially annoying for those, who understand it. It's so limited, that after a while it resembles a skipping needle on a broken vinyl ;).

I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy eventually, or just try to snag one from Fleabay. I wanna get the Gradius and Salamander collections too, but those are godawful expensive.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
For saturn shooters? Not really...

Yeah the Gradius Deluxe Pack is really reasonable at 30-40 bucks; Salamander is higher but well worth it. The PSX copies are the expensive ones. If you mod an Action replay cart you can just play burns.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah the Gradius Deluxe Pack is really reasonable at 30-40 bucks; Salamander is higher but well worth it. The PSX copies are the expensive ones. If you mod an Action replay cart you can just play burns.

Swap trick with a real game from your region+patching the iso for your region also works. But you need to open up your sega saturn and tape/secure the cd drive sensor for the lid.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Went back and got the 1CC on the SNES version of U.N. Squadron. I made the mistake of grinding a bunch of trunks and buying the Tiger Shark and then the Efreet. It feels like the Efreet was meant for players who died a bunch and ended up with lots of extra cash. I should have just tried the 500k plane and called it a day.

Now that I'm more experienced in both, I definitely prefer the arcade version.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Thanks! The SNES version was definitely easier to get the 1CC on. I think I still had 4 or 5 extra lives when I beat it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm back on the Progear wagon. I've definitely lost some skillz. I used to be able to get to the last boss. Now I lose a life even at the second boss sometimes. I can usually get to the middle of level 4 though. One day. One day.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Finally cleared this last weekend:
5rCabVPl.jpg

WGUdh9ol.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Nice clear dude. This ones on deck for me I think. How did you find it? I've heard no miss is basically the way to go as recovery can be tough in the later stages.

Yeah, you pretty much have to 1cc it or bust. It took me months of playing it off and on. If you do die in some of the later stages it's best to try to avoid some of the enemies and just dodge. That final boss is probably near impossible without a fully powered ship. Checkpoints in this game are brutal, and it does requires some memorization.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That final boss is probably near impossible without a fully powered ship.

It's very possible, that's actually one of the few checkpoints, that's manageable. Rank is lower, too, w/o full power. Take a look at the last part of Gemant's legendary superplay: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kc6y

Congrats on the clear, though! You came close to BBH:

A few years later I bought an MVS cabinet and eventually picked up a copy of Pulstar and started playing it again. Relearned the game well enough to finally get a one-credit clear on it, which is still the only time I've ever done it. (this image is dated March 19th, 2000)

pulstar-hi.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Progear is slowly coming back to me. This is basically "Fake-Out Bullet Patterns: The Game".

I don't know if I can 1CC this game though. That fourth boss is ridiculous.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Got a RECO rapid fire circuit recently so I've been playing Strikers I again. I've bought and sold this board four or five times but I keep coming back to it. Having rapid fire makes it a lot more fun. Also been playing Akuu Gallet, which is really nice looking but stupid difficult.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
The 3DS is so much easier. Hard difficulty on 3DS is like normal on Genesis. However I feel the 3DS game controls and looks better.

Got around to the Genesis version tonight. Yeah, I'd say the 3DS version is easier, but I still got a 1CC on my first try. I found a weird quirk with the settings. If you change the difficulty from Normal to Easy or Hard and back to Normal, you end up with an extra life and continue than you would otherwise. Weird. I beat it with with the default 3 lives though.

The game can be ugly at times. The first stage is rough looking, and the scenes between levels are seizure inducing when playing in RGB. But man oh man, I loved the music in stage 5 when you go down into the city after your giant airship is blown up:

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Been going back and forth with Skycurser and Fire Shark.

Skycurser is great, loving every bit of it.

Fire Shark I used to be able to 1cc, can make it to stage 5 pretty consistently. Maxing out the fire weapon is the way to go.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I got EspGaluda (PS2) from Kid Aphex. I can get to the fourth stage consistently and get the first score extend as well as the hidden one in stage 3. I got home from work at 1:30 AM this AM and got a few minutes into stage 5. I should be able to get through it, but I hear the boss is very tough and you can't use kakusei mode on one of his forms.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
but I hear the boss is very tough and you can't use kakusei mode on one of his forms.

Yes, kakusei, overdrive, and guard barrier (bomb) either doesn't damage him or gives him health, I can't remember which.

The scrubtastic trick for killing him during his final form though is to guard barrier when it looks like you're going to collide with a bullet, whiff the beam, and then reposition yourself safely.