Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Thanks! Taking a break from Ibara and playing Muchi Muchi Pork. Had only cleared the first loop of 1.01 on the port in the past, now I need to 1-All in the 1.00 arcade mode. Have got to the final boss a handful of times but not with enough resources.

Very mixed feeling about Pork.

+ Aliens and farm theme YES!!! :-J The zany art design is just way out there and and yet the mechanical designs are great too.
+ YGWxIKD style, besides IbaraKuro (which I've yet to play), this is the only other real blend of cave and raizing and somehow it works.
+ Very cool score mechanics, vacuuming up the pig medals and collecting lard has never been so much fun.

- Cluttered as a mofo, the screen just turns into bullet, piggy, medal, powerup, vomit volcano everywhere.
- Unorthodox bomb/boss milking that makes very little sense at first.
- Rank that you don't really manage with suicides like other YGW games.
- Voices and music that can be grating without proper sedatives.

Overall, I have a hard time recommending MMP unless you are pretty seasoned. Definitely worth trying, but dropping the loot on the 360 double pack might be wasting your money since Pink Sweets borders on unplayable about half way through the game (although arrange mode is surprisingly great) and MMPork might be too perverse for an average shmup fan.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Thanks! Taking a break from Ibara and playing Muchi Muchi Pork. Had only cleared the first loop of 1.01 on the port in the past, now I need to 1-All in the 1.00 arcade mode. Have got to the final boss a handful of times but not with enough resources.

Very mixed feeling about Pork.

+ Aliens and farm theme YES!!! :-J The zany art design is just way out there and and yet the mechanical designs are great too.
+ YGWxIKD style, besides IbaraKuro (which I've yet to play), this is the only other real blend of cave and raizing and somehow it works.
+ Very cool score mechanics, vacuuming up the pig medals and collecting lard has never been so much fun.

- Cluttered as a mofo, the screen just turns into bullet, piggy, medal, powerup, vomit volcano everywhere.
- Unorthodox bomb/boss milking that makes very little sense at first.
- Rank that you don't really manage with suicides like other YGW games.
- Voices and music that can be grating without proper sedatives.

Overall, I have a hard time recommending MMP unless you are pretty seasoned. Definitely worth trying, but dropping the loot on the 360 double pack might be wasting your money since Pink Sweets borders on unplayable about half way through the game (although arrange mode is surprisingly great) and MMPork might be too perverse for an average shmup fan.

Great post, but does it look good on the shelf is what I think most readers want to know.

Chempop

I had all the cave LEs and they took up too much space on the shelf so I sold them when I got the box set. What's worse is that the cardboard cartons on some of the LEs are slightly different size and build than others, really sent my obsessive compulsive disorder for a loop.

26560798171_f640e098f5_z.jpg

After getting the 1.00 1-all I tried one credit of 1.01 and got to 2-3 boss, the last 2 stages were WAY easier in 1.01.

Chempop

Broke 138 mil with Rafute, 139 mil with Momo, then finally broke 141 mil with Ikuo in Muchi Pork 1.01 :buttrock:

Not sure I'm going to push much farther, but I have much more positive thoughts about the game now that I'm not playing 1.00 arcade mode :)

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
That's impressive dude; srsly. You've got me wanting to dig back into it.

Spoiler:
inb4 zing - no, it won't be on my stretched LCD screen :)

geise

Mickey's Coach
I've had Ibara/Muchi Muchi Pork on 360 for a long time, and I still suck at both. Chempop you're a machine with those Cave games.

Recently I've been going through my older shooters. Right now I've been playing Air Buster PCB.

Chempop

I've had Ibara/Muchi Muchi Pork on 360 for a long time, and I still suck at both.

Don't feel bad, EVERYONE sucks at Pink Sweets. I recommend playing arrange mode on that one, not only is it more playable, it's actually fun.

MMP takes some getting used to, you can boost that medal value to 10K and keep it flowing for a while (don't forget to absorb them like a vacuum) . Bomb when you are in trouble because it can save your medal chain and all those piggies can add a lot of score especially against dense boss patterns. Stage4 boss is HARD and takes a lot of work to understand how to defeat him without losing too many resources (best to have a handful of lives to spare against him). Stage5 you should be able to score enough to get a few extra lives to stock before fighting the final boss (who is also a total pain in the ass!).

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Finally completed EDF on the snes on the weekend after literally years and years of trying, swapped my gun for the photon instead of s-laser on the last level and beat the eagle headed prick at long last.
Confession though guy's, my 17 year old son did it first, clever little sod, he's the one who sussed it out.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yep, thanks OC it's been a long time coming, that game has put more grey hair on me over the years than both my teenagers combined.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Raiden DX via mame, an absolute gem of a shooter that was inaccessible for the longest time. Would love to own an actual PCB.

Other than that, juggling Tatsujin and Aleste on the MD. Once I pick up a copy of Thunderforce III, I'll have my three favourite shooters on the system. MD is life.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Gunhed /Blazing Lasers pce on coinops5. I love this game definitely need to get the Hucard soon. Made it to mid stage 7 before loosing my first life. Damn stage 9 is chaos going to need lots of trial and error to get through it.

Edit:

Finally beat it today, made it to stage 8 boss before loosing a life. He is very easy I just got careless & tired of waiting to kill him. But damn the last level is a bitch. I primarily used the # 3 orb & shield through the first 8 stages. Shield is pretty much useless on stage 9. I went with #3 & F orb and my speed set to max. It was a 1cc but ugly one at that.

Last edited:

jtucci31

n00b
Gunhed /Blazing Lasers pce on coinops5. I love this game definitely need to get the Hucard soon. Made it to mid stage 7 before loosing my first life. Damn stage 9 is chaos going to need lots of trial and error to get through it.

Edit:

Finally beat it today, made it to stage 8 boss before loosing a life. He is very easy I just got careless & tired of waiting to kill him. But damn the last level is a bitch. I primarily used the # 3 orb & shield through the first 8 stages. Shield is pretty much useless on stage 9. I went with #3 & F orb and my speed set to max. It was a 1cc but ugly one at that.

Have any quick/off the top of your head advice? I've gotten to that final boss rush awhile back but always got my ass handed to me. I always try for a 1cc too so every time I die on that final stage I don't feel like playing the whole game over again, it just feels so long and slow at parts.

Still a great game though. Nice clear on that one!

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Have any quick/off the top of your head advice? I've gotten to that final boss rush awhile back but always got my ass handed to me. I always try for a 1cc too so every time I die on that final stage I don't feel like playing the whole game over again, it just feels so long and slow at parts.

Still a great game though. Nice clear on that one!

Yeah there is pretty much no way to get through the last stage w/o dying. Here's what I do, collect as many flashing orbs as possibly throughout the game. Each one of these count as a instant re spawn when you die. Try to save all your bombs for the final stage also. I would set your ships speed to max, at the start of the final stage get the #3 orb followed by the "f" icon. Don't be fooled the green homing laser is very useful on the chaotic parts with all the fodder enemies that cover the screen after each boss fight.

The worst part of the final stage comes after the three bosses. As soon as you beat that large tank / mech get ready its chaos this is where you need to use a few bombs to avoid all the shit coming from both sides and bottom & top of screen. You will pretty much be fighting the final boss w/ zero power ups. But be careful on her first form it looks easy but will get you if not careful. The spirals she throws up will turn into lasers but the two homing rockets is what you need to be very aware of they got me like 2 times. Hers second form is not as dangerous imo, very time comsuming to hit her just be patient. The bullets she fires explode into a ton of rings this is where your max speed will be key. Don't try to attack her when she is very close to bottom of screen, just hope you collected enough flashing orbs for instant re spawns lol.

Jreach

n00b
I just started playing Hyper Duel. I generally prefer vertical shooters but this game is awesome and the music is badass.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Visiting a friend, I got hooked by Soukyugurentai again... the fact, that your main gun is almost worthless, makes the whole thing extremely gripping. It's an astonishingly subversive statement on the whole genre, just like the later kamikaze requirements in Garegga.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a shooting game that essentially punishes you for shooting.

Brilliant! ...and let's not forget, that it also effectively punishes you for collecting power-ups, storing/using bombs and, of course, scoring points. An insatiable bitch, but so irresistible at the same time. Would make a perfect femme fatale, too bad it's just a twenty year old game...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Everything you do in Garegga raises rank. Literally everything. Shooting, collecting power ups, bombs, living, breathing.

My original question was about Oli's comment about Soukyugurentai.