Rate it! : Waku Waku 7 edition

What do you rate it?

• Total voters

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thinking of getting this game but I want to see what everyone rates this game. Since I don't know, I will rate it as a default of 5.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Great, fun game.

Still, the character roster is pretty limited, and gameplay isn't very deep.

Unique fighting game though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Right now my brother and I shuffle through ROTD(Yes we like it), MOTW, KOF98, SSV, CvS2 and SF33S.

How would this game compare?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Most of the fighters you mention are top-of-the-line, very technical, and feature some of the best gameplay 2D has to offer (read: the best gameplay, period).

WW7 is a little different, and I'd say that it's not nearly a technical or as deep as most of the fighters you mention.

But WW7 has tons of character and originality, and I always enjoy it when I play. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was pretty solid for the time, but it's not going to even come close to something like KoF '98, MOTW, or 3rd Strike.

I really love WW7 because it always feels like a breath of fresh air, and is just a ton of fun to play. I'd definitely say that it's worthy of your rotation.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member

Fucking fantastic. One of the best fighting games ever, still looks ace compared to the fighters of today.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Would you say the gameplay style is similar to that of the fun side of Kabuki Klash but better? Or like Pocket Fighter?

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Better than KK, fo sho.

Quite a fair amount more technical than pocket fighter, no chibi or cosplay stuffs, and the max activation, 7 bars and whole screen kick shows it isn't as faceless as the many 90's street fighter clones.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I thought that Waku Waku 7 was as thin as a piece of paper. The roster is very limited, and the fighting system is very primitive compaired to other fighters from that time. While the background and animation are nice, it just doesn't do it for me. I personally don't think its worth the price tag that it demands.

@Xian: compared to Garou, KOF98, 3rd Strike and CVS2, Waku Waku 7 is very disappointing.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
billd420 said:
I thought that Waku Waku 7 was as thin as a piece of paper. The roster is very limited, and the fighting system is very primitive compaired to other fighters from that time. While the background and animation are nice, it just doesn't do it for me. I personally don't think its worth the price tag that it demands.

@Xian: compared to Garou, KOF98, 3rd Strike and CVS2, Waku Waku 7 is very disappointing.

Compared to those fighters, Jesus is disappointing, but it's still a great game.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
galfordo said:
Compared to those fighters, Jesus is disappointing, but it's still a great game.

Good point LOL

Seriously though, I thought that Waku Waku 7 could have been so much more. If they only added a handful of more fighters and tightened up the combo system it woulda be aces. Too bad there wasn't a sequel or update version.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
billd420 said:
Good point LOL

Seriously though, I thought that Waku Waku 7 could have been so much more. If they only added a handful of more fighters and tightened up the combo system it woulda be aces. Too bad there wasn't a sequel or update version.

Um, no.

The whole theme of WW7 is 7.

WakuWaku is tons of fun and isn't a serious fighter nor ever was intended to be one.

Prepare for Doki Doki attack!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
despite the theme of 7, waku waku 18 would be a lot more fun. What waku waku 7 had was all great. The characters were very fun for the most part and there's a character for everyone. You're definitely going to find a character you automatically gravitate to.

But then it is thin in the gameplay department. You're not getting it for the technical aspects though.

Anyhow. Why do people still buy first play later? Download and make an informed decision.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Unibios= Waku Waku 9

BonusKun 4 LIFE

Anyways, I agree that it doesn't compare with 3s or motw. It doesn't have to though, the game is pretty much fucking perfect the way it is. It wasn't made to be a tournament fighter really. I don't feel the roster is small at all, its like they picked the 7 best characters and tossed the bullshit. The only gripe I have with the gameplay is that the button layout is slightly different than most other neo geo fighters and at times it throws me off.

As far as a follow up goes, Astra Superstars was a sequel in spirit at least. While thats great, Waku Waku 7 is the absolute pinacle of joke fighters. Pocket Fighter comes close, I really like it, but not enough to open my sealed Saturn copy apparently.

I went ahead and gave it a 9. Close to perfect, but not enough for me to resist selling it and getting my $70 back. One of the best games I've ever sold, though I think Garou and Chrono Trigger take the top. It hurt selling Ikaruga as well.

aria

Former Moderator
This is the fighting game I enjoy playing with people who aren't 7th degree fighting game nerds. Such a quality production.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
WW7 >>>>>>>>>>>> rotd.

so if you like rotd, deff get ww7.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I gave it a 10. i payed $380 for my AES copy of WW7. more than ive ever paid for any other game. I have no regret after buying it, it is in my opinion the best fighting game of all time. I may be an idiot, but I myself find quite a bit of depth in the gameplay, the more time you spend with each character the more little secret moves you discover, and the game has such a unique fighting system, i dont think there is any other fighter out there that has full screen punches and kicks, and the ability to kick off the wall and come hauling ass right back into the enemy when hit.
buy it man, it fucking rules.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I tried to DL a rom to check it out but no of them are working. Anyone know of one that works with Mac Mame?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I do not know of the rom, but let me assure you this game is a must have, although not as great as other fighters, I think is better than Galaxy Fight, which is made by the same guys.

Is kind of like Astra Superstars for Saturn or ST-V, is wacky as hell, and is got the "modern" looking sprites that followed since Galaxy Fight, like Garou, Last Blade, ROTD, and so on...now don't start shooting people, it is not a Garou, not even on animation, but the sprites are really good, and the games is quite colorful.

The game play is really good too, very loose combo system, kind of like Breaker's series, but the power bar is quite unique, although it uses ex moves like Vampire Saviour.

I hope that helps.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
yeah, I bought it on AES echo ago, still playing it today, unique game and awesome at the same time, music is catchy, appropriate to the characters.
what is happening on the screen sometimes is just crazy, fill all the meters and let the craziness take over.
really fun game, must have.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MUSOLINI said:
WW7 >>>>>>>>>>>> rotd.

so if you like rotd, deff get ww7.

Is the gameplay as fast-paced as ROTD? or more SVC-ish?