NGPC Front Light DIY Guide, Now Available!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well since I had a lot of requests and had a lot of free time this morning I decided to make the guide everyone has been asking for.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~logicdustbin/NGPC_light_mod.html

It is a 9mb PDF file. Good amount of pictures. Thanks to Logicdustbin for hosting it. :buttrock:

If you have any questions about the guide please post them in here.

It is not for beginners, be warned. I take no resposibility for any damage caused by any modifications not performed by myself. You mod it, you take responsibility for fucking it up if you do. :angry:

Last edited:

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
I could host it, but I'm at work and I would not be at my home computer until Monday, so it you don't get a better off, send me a PM.

klargon

n00b
Any joy on the hosting?

If you want to reduce the filesize somewhat, you could convert it to PDF. PrimoPDF (http://www.primopdf.com/) is what I use all the time. It's free.

Also, with a file size that big, the pictures in Word might be too big. If you use the Insert Picture option it will scale the image properly and create a smaller file size than if you drag and drop pictures into the doc.

You could upload the file to yousendit.com for free, but they'll only host it for a week (I think). There are some less user-friendly services that are very similar, but keep the file for longer.

Just some ideas...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Link is up.

Thanks again to Logicdustbin.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Best place to get SP screens is off ebay, just buy SPs listed as broken or not working. Make sure you ask the seller if the front light still works.

lordtut

Kuroko's Training Dummy
thanks for the faq.
i was board so i tryed it out.
had a messed up SP so i took the backlit off and put it on my ngpc.
i didn't have the resister so i conected it to the small battery i will fix it later.
i can take one of the wires on and off so i don't kill the little battery.
i'll just use it for bragging till i get the resistor. :cool:
it was fun installing it.
i got some prints on it but not bad for my first try.
the next one will be better. :glee:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cool dude. I'm glad you tried it.

Once you mod 5 then its super easy but sometimes you will get some stubborn SPs where the adhesive on the screen wont come off in one piece and then leaves residue on the screen. :blow_top: I think those that do that are the really old SPs maybe 1st wave or just in very warm climate a lot.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Bumping this as I still get questions if there is one.

RentaHero

n00b
Hello Xian Xi!

Here in France (I'm from Belgium, bah it doesn't matter) we have a small community of gamers who still play with SNK's little baby. We just discovered your tutorial (better late than never!).

I just wanted to congratulate and thank you for your work on the NGPC system in the name of all NGPC Frenchies (and Belgians) :)

I have just a little question though: as it is very difficult to get broken GBA SPs around here (people seem to throw them away rather than sell them), I was wondering if you might still sell some front light packs ready-to-be-placed for 25$? We don't feel like sacrificing a working GBA SP :)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144068 (I just voted 'yes')

Keep up the good work!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
RentaHero said:
Hello Xian Xi!

Here in France (I'm from Belgium, bah it doesn't matter) we have a small community of gamers who still play with SNK's little baby. We just discovered your tutorial (better late than never!).

I just wanted to congratulate and thank you for your work on the NGPC system in the name of all NGPC Frenchies (and Belgians) :)

I have just a little question though: as it is very difficult to get broken GBA SPs around here (people seem to throw them away rather than sell them), I was wondering if you might still sell some front light packs ready-to-be-placed for 25$? We don't feel like sacrificing a working GBA SP :)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144068 (I just voted 'yes')

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliment, you're very welcome. As far as the kits go I was not able to find the parts I wanted so the kits were never produced. I do know that Greg at mash-mods.com just developed a kit you can purchase, it's not the same as the SP light but will give you some light.

I usually get my broken SPs off ebay.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
bumping this again since I am getting PMs for it. I will be adding the link to my website later today.

MonoTekETeA

NEST Puppet
Bump.

Great FAQ, just did the mod yesterday. I have a question though Xian, the silver bit of the frontlight is creeps up on the bottem of the screen, so it cuts off the first few pixels. Any suggestions? Pictures can be provided.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya thats the only problem with the SP front light, it blocks that last 4-5 pixel rows on the bottom. But still it's the front light with the biggest viewable area.

I usually cover it with black electric tape.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Anyone plz help me. I am right now searching ebay for an SP but I can't tell which one is front-lit and which one is back-lit. I am about to bid on one but I am afraid it might be a back-lit. Please advise me?

..Or is it better off to get Mash-Mods's version?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MyulChi said:
Anyone plz help me. I am right now searching ebay for an SP but I can't tell which one is front-lit and which one is back-lit. I am about to bid on one but I am afraid it might be a back-lit. Please advise me?

..Or is it better off to get Mash-Mods's version?

The mash-mods kit is readily available but from the pictures I've seen the bottom and the top of the screen are cut off, if it doesnt bother you then go for it.

As far as the SPs I noticed that the newer backlit SPs have regular phillips head screws while the front lit ones have the triwing screws. You can always ask the seller what the screws on the bottom of the SP look like. This is only what I have observed and is no way a guarantee of which version you will actually get.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
I just finished installing one.:smirk: Whole thing took me roughly 2 hours+.
The installment was harder than it sounded in the tutorial, but it was well worth the effort. Thanks bunch for the tutorial.

My NGPC didn't lose any lines top and bottom (bottom is cut in the picture because of angle), but it's got a thin line that stays near the bottom. It's indistinct line which doens't bother me when playing, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible.
I am doing my second mod very soon with a mint condition NGPC, hopefully it'll take less time.

52786989od1.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice work. The line you are talking about is where the reflective film on the front light ends. Since the NGPC has a taller screen, it shows.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
is there any way we can use the backlit version of gameboy sp?
I just received an as-is-gameboy sp and it's backlit.
It seems that backlit versions are only in graphite and pearl blue.
I should avoid those two colors.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MyulChi said:
is there any way we can use the backlit version of gameboy sp?
I just received an as-is-gameboy sp and it's backlit.
It seems that backlit versions are only in graphite and pearl blue.
I should avoid those two colors.

Nope, the LCD in the NGPC is a Reflective TFT so light has to come from the front.

As far as backlit ones I also had a silver one that was backlit.

The only ones I am sure is front lit is plain blue and red I think.