NGPC Front Light DIY Guide, Now Available!!

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Xian Xi said:
Nope, the LCD in the NGPC is a Reflective TFT so light has to come from the front.

As far as backlit ones I also had a silver one that was backlit.

The only ones I am sure is front lit is plain blue and red I think.

I see, thx for the reply. I guess I'm going to have to sell it back on ebay.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kuriakos said:
couldn't you just add some white LEDs?

You cant just add LEDs, you need something to disperse the light evenly to light the screen, unless you want hot spots.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Looking through Ebay, I find lots of Sp with cracked screens.
Does this look alright? Screen is cracked.
100983875_tp.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The cracked screens are fine as long as the light screen isnt cracked. Usually it never is cracked. One thing to remember is that if the screen is cracked sometimes(rarely) the liquid crystal leaks onto the light screen.

DJ Daishi

Rugal's Thug
I already have four NGPCs, so I really don't mid if I fuck one up. can't wait to try this out!!

Xian Xi your mod is very clever and really impressive !

I'd love to adapt it to other handhelds, primarily classic Game Boy. But for this matter I should know the current and voltage of the GBA SP frontlight to place the correct resistor.

Could you give me these values ?

Thank you in advance for this :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MortalKastor said:
Xian Xi your mod is very clever and really impressive !

I'd love to adapt it to other handhelds, primarily classic Game Boy. But for this matter I should know the current and voltage of the GBA SP frontlight to place the correct resistor.

Could you give me these values ?

Thank you in advance for this :)

It's like most LEDS, 3.2v.

Thank you, but in order to calculate the resistor needed (via R = V/I) I should also know the current.

Is it 20 mA, like most LEDs too ?

EDIT: I don't understand how the frontlight voltage can be higher than the NGPC one :/

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MortalKastor said:
Thank you, but in order to calculate the resistor needed (via R = V/I) I should also know the current.

Is it 20 mA, like most LEDs too ?

EDIT: I don't understand how the frontlight voltage can be higher than the NGPC one :/

The point where the power is taken is off a capacitor that puts out about 3.6v or so. And yes 20mA is about right.

Thank you very much, I'll try to adapt your mod on a classic Game Boy as soon as I get the right resistor :)

Xian Xi said:
Oh shit, that second pic is sweet. I love it. See, it was pretty easy right?

Like a walk in the park :D
The tough part was not to put fingerprints on the frontlight :lolz:

It was even easier thanks to the classic Game Boy case design : there is a neat space which seems to have been specifically designed to fit the GBA SP frontlight, I only had to dremel a bit of prominent plastic part which fitted the battery LED. No need for more cutting, no need to fix the frontlight.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
Anyone willing to mod one or two NGPCs for me? I am not very adept with this kind of stuff and don't really have the time, either. I am willing to pay a reasonable price if I just have to send the babies in.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
OK just found out some very helpful info for the DIYers for this mod. To get an SP with a front light they can easily be identified by the model number:

AGS-001 - Front Light
AGS-101 - Back Light

I hope this helps everyone.

RentaHero

n00b
It's like most LEDS, 3.2v.

Hello, I have a question:
How can the LEDs work, as under 3.2v they don't shine at all, and the two AA batteries of the NGPC only deliver 2x 1.5v = 3v?

Does the NGPC have a "voltage increaser" or something like that?

And also, I was wondering if you could answer this: how could Mash-Mods made a front-light mod for the Wonderswan Color? It has only one 1.5v battery...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You are getting the power for the LED off a capacitor that puts out 3.3v

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
What up James? Do you offer this modding service? What would your cost be if I sent you my ngpc and you did all the rest? Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sup Dude, as for right now I don't mod NGPCs as they take too much time to mod and I have other projects I am currently working on for customers right now.

I might mod some in the future though. Maybe another member here does the service. You can try mash-mods if need be.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
You can try mash-mods if need be.

I tried to order from them, but they don't seem to be taking orders. I asked for a modded NGPC and they never replied to me, even if their website says that they answer within 24h.

Flavor

Saver,
I tried to order from them, but they don't seem to be taking orders. I asked for a modded NGPC and they never replied to me, even if their website says that they answer within 24h.

I had the same problem with Mash recently. I got ahold of him a different way, and he mentioned having problems with his email. I'll tell him to check this thread.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just the bottom, about 2-3mm. The top is complete.