NGPC Front Light DIY Guide, Now Available!!

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Wow, $75 + $50 is a lot just to get it frontlighted. When I used to sell pre-modded units I sold them for $110. $75 is almost double what I charge for a front light install. For that price it should include the sac front light instead of you buying one yourself.

yeah but here in argentina not a lot of people specialize in that kind of modding, the whole retro gaming scene is JUST beginning to be born here... apart from that, the modding might be kind of expensive but you also have to consider that you should include the shipping charges to argentina and very likely customs fees, since most of the times I order electronics they get stuck at customs and the whole "used item" usually won't save my ass:help::oh_no:

egoraptor

n00b
I just performed this mod on my NGPC and, I dunno, I'm not super happy with it.

The light is very faint and it seems to make my screen extremely washed out. I honestly think this has made my NGPC HARDER to see. On the GBA I used, before I opened it up, I suspected the screen was a bit washed out, but I thought maybe that's just me... but yeah. Everyone seems to be so excited about this, but I can barely play Dark Arms on this. I can't see enemy fire at all, it's so faded.

Is this a common problem anybody's come across? I have a couple more I plan on modding if this is just.. something that happens sometimes. I really want a functional NGPC I can play in bad lighting conditions. Thanks!

Here's a picture of it in the dark:

http://twitpic.com/5qgh3d

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks a little weak, I think the LED might not be flush with the light bar. Since the NGPC wasn't intended to be front lit you can't adjust the contrast on the NGPC. If someone finds a way to increase the contrast then it could look less washed out.

dedalusdedalus

Crossed Swords Squire
Egoraptor, if you're not happy with the end result, I might be willing to take it off your hands. Let me know what you'd consider selling it for.

egoraptor

n00b
Looks a little weak, I think the LED might not be flush with the light bar. Since the NGPC wasn't intended to be front lit you can't adjust the contrast on the NGPC. If someone finds a way to increase the contrast then it could look less washed out.

Is this problem common? I mean, it definitely doesn't look like the Sonic Pocket Adventure screenshot you posted on NFG, that one looks great.

If that is the case, and my screen is flawed a bit, should I expect a really great looking screen on my next, proper mod? Or should I expect some fading?

And is the LED not being flush with the screen something I can fix? Or should I just wait for my new broken GBAs to come? :p

Thank for the help!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's a simple fix.

The LED is mounted on the lightbar which is the silver metal bottom of the front light screen. Sometimes when people install the screen into the NGPC the LED gets pushed up because it's hitting the speaker housing in the NGPC so the LED isn't shining directly into the lightbar so it isn't getting the full brightness.

egoraptor

n00b
It's a simple fix.

The LED is mounted on the lightbar which is the silver metal bottom of the front light screen. Sometimes when people install the screen into the NGPC the LED gets pushed up because it's hitting the speaker housing in the NGPC so the LED isn't shining directly into the lightbar so it isn't getting the full brightness.

Oh man, thank you so much. That was a life saver! The screen looks great now! I wonder how good I can get it to look, on my next mod I'm going to dremel a little space in that speaker casing to allow the led room to breath so it doesn't get knocked out of alignment. Wanna make sure I get it perfect on this mint condition NPGC. :)

Thanks again!

bindibaji

n00b
Just want to say thanks Xian XI for your guide. I completed my front light mod last night and very impressed by how it looks. Luckily I had two GBA as I cut through the ribbon cable for the light screen by accident on my first GBA. Not bad going since this was my first ever mod. Again cheers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just want to say thanks Xian XI for your guide. I completed my front light mod last night and very impressed by how it looks. Luckily I had two GBA as I cut through the ribbon cable for the light screen by accident on my first GBA. Not bad going since this was my first ever mod. Again cheers.

Glad the mod worked for you.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi, I just did a mod but the GBA screen was a little cracked on the base. Anyhow, it does work but I was wondering what happens if I put a smaller/bigger resistor value?Another thing, do you think is a good idea to cut the upper screen guide inside the NGPC case? I was thinking about how to overcome the blockage that the front light has on the bottom of the NGPC screen. OK, thanks again for the tutorial.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Higher value would make it dimmer and lower brighter of course. You can always install a dial pot to adjust the brightness but I always have it at around 47-50ohm which is why I use 47ohm for the static brightness.

As for the screen cut off it's from the height of the screen. The NGPC has a taller screen than the SP. Maybe you can rotate the front light, I never tried it.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for that. I just lower the resistance to half, screen looks better for my taste but will definitely will look for the pot.
I managed to push up the screen a little inserting a piece of plastic in between the limit of the case and the NGPC screen. Now I see the whole screen. The plated bar is still viewable dough. It is a shame that the light screen was cracked at the base,otherwisee it would had really rock. Next mod will be certainly better.
Thanks Xian.

NEOfunk

n00b
Oh, I almost forgot to ask, is anyone here up to modding my NGPC? I just don't have the steady hand to do this?
Thanks!!!

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I used to but I'm way too busy to do them now.

Xian Xi, if you plan to do them sometime I'd be interested. Don't plan to try and follow your guide, ruining a NGPC (blasphemy) in the process.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I'm doing this mod as soon as I get home from vacation. I've been playing my pocket a lot the last 2 weeks and sometimes it's pretty hard to see the screen. I can't wait to have a front light. Do any of the other members here who have done this mod have anything to add that would help? Tips, or other stuff that might make the mod go smoother?

Ozfer

n00b
Woa thanks for this guide dude it looks super sweet. Too bad there's no backlight for it also! But heck this makes it a lot easier to see the screen in dark areas.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hi Flavor, if you're considering a sale outside of feebay let me know. I might be interested depending on what the "imperfect" part is :)

Flavor

Saver,
Hi Flavor, if you're considering a sale outside of feebay let me know. I might be interested depending on what the "imperfect" part is :)

I may sell some on my website sometime in the future, but I will do eBay first to gauge interest.

Thanks!