Genesis 2 Model MK-1451 how to do region mod?

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
HA HA on you 68k There was hope ! ! !
A few days ago I posted a auction link to a consolized NeoGeo 2-slot that was being sold on ebay,which btw was not built by the seller,but a friend of his that no longer wanted it. He was selling it and another for a friend who no longer needed them.

Anyway,after talking to this person for a bit in emails back and forth about NeoGeo stuff I asked him if he might know anything about this Genesis 2 pcb type. He did,he knew exactly what to do to get the japanese region mod going. If I get a chance tonite I will post a pic of what to do.

I did what he said and it worked perfectly. It was also great to find someone willing to share this info freely without just trying to get me to send the system in to him to be modded for $60 bucks. Special thanks to Michael Helgeson ! ! ! Very nice guy ! ! !
He said he post on guru3d and a site called pcenginefx now and then,so I will have to check both of those out here sometime soon.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
cool :)

(some of use were trying to help for free, don't feel bad, just send me $60 too :P)

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Monolith said:
HA HA on you 68k There was hope ! ! !

This hurts my eFeelings.:(

Glad you got it working, but maybe you could share what you did for future inquirers?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Nice to see all this animosity come out of nowhere. Reminds me why I rarely post on these forums anymore, even the technical section to help people because there's stuff like this around.

Glad to see you got the problem solved monolith, sorry I couldn't be of service as I've never seen this board model and the pics were too blurry for me.

and to clear up the Saturn thing one last time:

I did not try to trick or deceive people in any way with my modded Saturns. I did not know the 68k was only used for audio processing and I believed it would work to fully overclock the system as the case with the Neo Geo and Genesis consoles.

Moreover, all the systems I sold with this mod were modded many other ways. It was a package deal which included import mod switches, and a mod chip install (and sometimes an LED swap).

After this problem came to my attention I have not sold an overclock mod. If I ever do in the future I will make it clear that the mod is to overclock the sound processor only.

As far as refunding past customers- no one has contacted me with any problems what so ever. If my customers thought the OC did not improve things well enough I'm sure they would be emailing/PMing me. If they do at some point in the future I will gladly refund them the whopping $15 I charged for the mod.

and as a final point, overclocking the audio processor does help with the system's speed as it devotes less time crunching numbers in the 68k. Yes, it is not the same as OCing Neo Geo or Genesis 68ks but I was in no way trying to cheat people out of their money. Again, I was not aware that the mod was for the audio processor only and I wasn't saving myself any effort- I did install new crystals and switches in all those systems.

Now please, stop trashing my name on these forums.

-Segasonicfan

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
SegaSonicfan I understand how you feel but that long ass post does not really belong on this thread. Its kinda derailing,more so then the small comment made about you. What you should do is address the issue in the trader area or something with your own thread. Considering it seems this info for this pcb type for a region mod is nowhere to be found (believe me I searched all over the net) it would be cool to keep the thread flame free.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
SegaSonicfan I understand how you feel but that long ass post does not really belong on this thread. Its kinda derailing,more so then the small comment made about you. What you should do is address the issue in the trader area or something with your own thread. Considering it seems this info for this pcb type for a region mod is nowhere to be found (believe me I searched all over the net) it would be cool to keep the thread flame free.

yes, I completely understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't have said anything if it was one person but there were a couple of people flaming me for no reason. I am sorry for the length but I wanted to make things clear to these people that are going around ng.com bashing me. I have already posted a similar note on my service selling thread and yet the flaming continues :/

That said, I would like to still help you with the mod. If you can give me hi res pics I'd be glad to help. Likewise, maybe you could send the PCB to me? That's up to you of course.

-Segasonicfan

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Umm,I got the mod done already...... I posted that it was figured out above and posted a pic on what to do. I tested the mod out on my system and it worked perfectly.

Monolith said:
Here is the pic with how to do info. :)

Basically you just need the same switch you use for the other model 2 decks.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Umm,I got the mod done already...... I posted that it was figured out above and posted a pic on what to do. I tested the mod out on my system and it worked perfectly.

oh okay, that's what I thought. Then why do you care if this thread gets derailed?

-Segasonicfan

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Umm well,I think for starters SSF its a thread I started,and two would be because anyone else needing this info shouldn't have to swim trough the bullshit to get the helpful info they need.

That last comment you made makes you come across as a completely rude prick and sounds like your trying to start shit with me for no reason. I don't think you'd like your tech support threads trashed either by a bunch of nonsense,bickering,epic long defense statements and fighting either would you???

As for the mod,this is the best res I can post. I did not use a 3 pole switch fo rmy switch because I wanted a slide switch a tad bigger then normal and a little more durable. I placed it in the empty space on the side and mounted it tightly with a dab of superglue to the side of the shielding plate and then on two points added solder to give the mount a finishing touch. It shouldn't come loose after this. I cut out a piece of the bottom vent so I can just slide the switch with my pinky finger when I need to switch modes. This is most likely not something everyone else will want since the 3 pole switches are easiest to get and use install,wire-up,and mount wise,and are pretty small as is.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Umm well,I think for starters SSF its a thread I started,and two would be because anyone else needing this info shouldn't have to swim trough the bullshit to get the helpful info they need.

The so-called 'bullshit' is at the very end of the thread. So anyone searching would see the mod in the earlier pages. Not to mention these posts you keep making towards me are only further derailing your thread.

That last comment you made makes you come across as a completely rude prick and sounds like your trying to start shit with me for no reason. ?

That was pretty uncalled for. I'm just saying you got the help you need and the mod finished so my one post explaining the earlier comments about me doesn't matter.

I don't think you'd like your tech support threads trashed either by a bunch of nonsense,bickering,epic long defense statements and fighting either would you???

Well I didn't start the trashing and like I said, I only made one post. The mod was finished in the earlier pages so this is all just wasting time. If someone puts in one post to defend their name being trashed in a tech thread I think it's totally called for. Especially if that person is offering help.

-Segasonicfan

20 Year Member
:oh_no: I'll keep my mouth shut... or rather my fingers tied.

Anyways...

Nice clean job on the mod Monolith. I never thought this board revision was possible to region mod, but you learn something new everyday. :glee:

Last edited:

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
SSF please just take your case elsewhere,like in the trader area or in a general discussion thread so you can address your issues there. Please stop doing it on my thread. I have basically asked twice now. You do have every right to defend yourself,but do it in a better manner on your own thread please.

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
68k said:
:oh_no: I'll keep my mouth shut... or rather my fingers tied.

Anyways...

Nice clean job on the mod Monolith. I never thought this board revision was possible to region mod, but you learn something new everyday. :glee:
THANKS!!!

Yea it turned out well overall. There is a revision of the Genesis 3 that has the exact same hardware,just found out today because I had a Genesis 3 arrive that I won on ebay. I know certain games will not work on a genesis 3,and time Killers was one of them. I had also read Ex Mutants wouldn't. But I have no problems getting that game to run on my Genesis 2 and 3 deck. I'm guessing every game I own will work fine on my Genesis 3 deck.

20 Year Member
Monolith said:
THANKS!!!

Yea it turned out well overall. There is a revision of the Genesis 3 that has the exact same hardware,just found out today because I had a Genesis 3 arrive that I won on ebay. I know certain games will not work on a genesis 3,and time Killers was one of them. I had also read Ex Mutants wouldn't. But I have no problems getting that game to run on my Genesis 2 and 3 deck. I'm guessing every game I own will work fine on my Genesis 3 deck.

That Genesis 2 and the Genesis 3 share the same 315-5960 IC, which might as well be a genesis-on-a-chip. The board design is unique between the two.

I've owned dozens of model 1 and 2 genesis consoles and i've only seen one with a board similar to this.

EDIT: What part of the south are you from?

Last edited:

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Near Sherwood ,Arkansas. I'm down here helping to take care of my grandmother because she has been ill the past few months. After that I am not sure where me and my girlfriend will move to. Hot Springs is pretty nice and has a few game stores worth shopping at so I will prob just move back there.
Yea there are many diff pcb types in all the Genesis models,and I think MK-1451 was manufactured by someone else,possibly even Majesco when they were starting up.

Last edited: