Hyper Neo Geo giving me Crackly sound unless I turn volume way down

chocodile

n00b
I bought one of those Hyper Neo Geos from Vektorlogic and the sound is all crackly unless I turn it waaaay down. Is there a solution for this or do I just have a flaky Hyper Neo Geo 64? Everything else works fine. I've got Fatal Fury and Buriki One (the game I got this for) and they work fine...except for crackly sound.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Could be a lot of things...

What are you putting the Hyper 64 board into?..A cab,what type of cab..Jamma,MVS?

Could be the speakers..The may not be able to handle the volume up.

Could be dirty connections or not installed correctly..

Vektorlogic,I'm pretty sure is the person that sells REV 2 Hyper 64.so you have a Revision 2..

I don't have one of these but isn't there some sort of switch on the botton for Stereo or Mono...or MVS or Jamma...something like that.

chocodile

n00b
I'll look for the switch--I'm plugging it into an Astro City (original, not New or II) JAMMA cab. The speakers work fine with every other board I have.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
you're talking about the volume on the Hyper board itself or the cab's volume? I had a rev. 1 and it had to have the sound wired in seperate I believe. Also, there is a mod to run the audio through the JAMMA harness which could give some probs. So is your board rev.1 or rev.2?

chocodile

n00b
Actually, my bad, I bought it from Great Western not Vektorlogic. Anyway--how do I tell if it's a 2.0 board? I think this might be a 1.0 board because the circuit board has a 1997 date on it. LVS-10J is the number printedon the board I think.

Anyway--if I turn the volume loud on the Hyper Neo Geo board itself it gets all crackly, increasing the volume on the cab doesn't give me that problem. But the problem is, the sound has to be cranked down so low on the HN64 itself that even if I crank the cab up to maximum I can't really hear it that well.

I'm not sure if this is JAMMA or MVS harness--it does have what looks like some pins for a kicker in the back--or is that not what they're for?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
chocodile said:
Actually, my bad, I bought it from Great Western not Vektorlogic. Anyway--how do I tell if it's a 2.0 board? I think this might be a 1.0 board because the circuit board has a 1997 date on it. LVS-10J is the number printedon the board I think.

Anyway--if I turn the volume loud on the Hyper Neo Geo board itself it gets all crackly, increasing the volume on the cab doesn't give me that problem. But the problem is, the sound has to be cranked down so low on the HN64 itself that even if I crank the cab up to maximum I can't really hear it that well.

I'm not sure if this is JAMMA or MVS harness--it does have what looks like some pins for a kicker in the back--or is that not what they're for?

Are you wiring the +5 volts? I once tried to buy a rev. 2 board from GW and they insisted it was...I received a Rev. 1 with some strange sound mod on it and no cables for the +5. They insisted it didn't need that, but I knew better. Take some pics or do a search on this board, tons of v1 and v2 photos to help you out [rev.1's have the black volume knob]. Sounds like if it is a rev. 1, you may want to send it back or pick up a rev. 2. I have a rev. 1 bought new with the cables still if you want to pay for postage I'll GIVE it to you.

chocodile

n00b
Yeah this has a black knob. Probably a rev 1. I bought it so long ago that I dunno if I can look at the original listing. I vaguely recall I bought it because it mentioned something about it being a JAMMA version or something--but I honestly didn't bother to open the box until months later. How much is the shipping on yours? How do the cables hook into my cab or do they somehow just connect to pins on the JAMMA connector itself?