Thread: What is the highest resolution the PS2 can display?

So Many Posts
    No Time
    For Games.

What is the highest resolution the PS2 can display?

Just wondering.

Galford's Armourer

My Pal one is at 576i with the option of 480p in certain games like Guitar Hero 2 both achieved through Component obviously..
    Tetris DS Friend Code:
    879704 - 035545

Mario Kart DS Friend Code:
    442449 - 678362

Psycho Soldier

There's a product called xploder hdtv player which claims to force games to run in up to 1080i. I'm trying it now; waiting for my... *ahem*... purchase to finish.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by hype-monkey View Post
    I like her wit.
    But make no mistake, this date is about her reasserting herself as a dominant woman.
    I suggest you show up drunk, make outlandish claims (I invented socks, etc.), and brag about your penis size.
    If all else fails, whip it out and start making rapid yet forceful thrusts in the air and tell her that she'll be missing out on "this" if she doesn't shut her cunty mouth up for a fucking second learn to be whore.
    (1) (2)

Lasso Champion

I *think* GT4 has a 1080i mode

@SPAM: Does the thing come with a special Component Cable, or is the same thing as the common one?
    Sig by romplayerX from S-C

Psycho Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by recon_zero

@SPAM: Does the thing come with a special Component Cable, or is the same thing as the common one?
    I don't know. I'd assume it just uses the normal one.
    Spoiler:
    I like her wit.
    But make no mistake, this date is about her reasserting herself as a dominant woman.
    I suggest you show up drunk, make outlandish claims (I invented socks, etc.), and brag about your penis size.
    If all else fails, whip it out and start making rapid yet forceful thrusts in the air and tell her that she'll be missing out on "this" if she doesn't shut her cunty mouth up for a fucking second learn to be whore.
    (1) (2)

Astra Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by recon_zero
    It does. It looks pretty nice.

Tourist Trophy is supposed to have a 1080i mode as well. It probably uses the same engine (same development team).

If you're curious about which games support certain resolutions, try this website:
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/...m&page=hdlists
    "I wasn't born with enough middle fingers"
    -Marilyn Manson

Xbox live gamertag: Crazyquadruped

short for ResOGlas

The PS2 has the ability to output in the following resolutions:
    480i
    480p
    576p
    720p
    1080i

Most games are only 480i or 480p, with only a handful coming with the ability for higher resolutions. There are boot discs out there that let you choose the desired resolution you wish.
    Last edited by ResO; 01-26-2007 at 06:03 AM.

However it needs to be noted that those boot discs (at least the one from Datel) don't really seem to work. My friend tried for a while to get VF4 Evo (I think) to run, with no luck. It was on the list of games that were supposed to work.

We know about a few 1080i games; are there any games out there with official 720p support?

Psycho Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Meller
    However it needs to be noted that those boot discs (at least the one from Datel) don't really seem to work. My friend tried for a while to get VF4 Evo (I think) to run, with no luck. It was on the list of games that were supposed to work.

We know about a few 1080i games; are there any games out there with official 720p support?
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/...tom&page=ps2ab

Also, I tried that stupid xploder thing, and all it does is up the resolution, but it renders in a little box in the center of the screen.
    Spoiler:
    I like her wit.
    (1) (2)

Quote Originally Posted by ResOGlas
    The PS2 has the ability to output in the following resolutions:
    480i
    480p
    576p
    720p
    1080i

Most games are only 480i or 480p, with only a handful coming with the ability for higher resolutions. There are boot discs out there that let you choose the desired resolution you wish.
    What he said.

All games (NTSC at least) are obviously 480i with a large quantity supporting 480p, especially anything made in it's second year and on DVD disc. There are a few that allow 1080i but the only one I know is GT4.

I don't think 720p is a supported res on the PS2.

NEO*GEO Hardware: AES, MVS 1, NG Pocket, NG Pocket Color.
    Cabs: Neo Candy 29, Dynamo 19 classic w/ SF3 New Gen.
    http://gamertag.com - http://twitter.com/Cynnthetic

short for ResOGlas

Quote Originally Posted by Cynn
    I don't think 720p is a supported res on the PS2.

It is, but there might not be any commercially released games that support it. You can definitely trick the console into booting up in 720p with a boot disc.

Lazy SNK Employee

ps2

The highest availible res is on gt4 which is 1080i but most games utilize 480p

Thread Information