Shock Troopers: Expert Scoring Strategies

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have a quick question about Shock Troopers.

I'm playing mine on a Unibios 3.0 that is set to US MVS ....I change the language to English in the soft dip settings. I can play a full game through and the same issue remains.

Why is it that everything is in English (all menus and written text), but when I switch between characters during gameplay in Team Battle, the characters say something in Japanese (or it sounds Japanese)? They also seem to speak Japanese at the end of the level. Also the one bit of voice acting during the cut-scenes-"Celciliahhhhhhhhh"....sounds like a Japanese voice actor. Is this just how the game is, or is it my copy? I just can't get them to speak English when I switch between them...I compared my board's chip sets to MVSSCANS and mine looks completely like a legit copy and nothing like the pirated/bootleg copy shown. This is a small issue, but it's bugging me..

Fun game though...

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Haha oh wow this thread needs to be updated, mostly on account of me being able to confirm that US and Japan bios'es default to blood on, and Euro bios defaults to blood off. Meaning that most of what I posted about multi-shot kills should be ignored unless the enemies are in the water, since otherwise the random death animations can trigger. Higher scores are possible with blood off, but I now know that blood on is true defaults and should be considered the standard for scoring (not that anyone ever really played the game seriously for score besides me). Sure wish I could edit the first post. BLEH.

I've been playing Shock Troopers lately and thought this thread deserved a bump, especially since the Shock Therapy site seems to have disappeared.:360:

Awesome game.

Yeah the site's gone, I still have pretty much all the HTML files and images but have never gotten around to actually rehosting it, lol

I have a quick question about Shock Troopers.

I'm playing mine on a Unibios 3.0 that is set to US MVS ....I change the language to English in the soft dip settings. I can play a full game through and the same issue remains.

Why is it that everything is in English (all menus and written text), but when I switch between characters during gameplay in Team Battle, the characters say something in Japanese (or it sounds Japanese)? They also seem to speak Japanese at the end of the level. Also the one bit of voice acting during the cut-scenes-"Celciliahhhhhhhhh"....sounds like a Japanese voice actor. Is this just how the game is, or is it my copy? I just can't get them to speak English when I switch between them...I compared my board's chip sets to MVSSCANS and mine looks completely like a legit copy and nothing like the pirated/bootleg copy shown. This is a small issue, but it's bugging me..

Fun game though...

There is no "English" counterpart for the voices. Japanese games often have Japanese voices even when localized, not sure why you would assume the voices would automatically all be redone.