Minor glitches in Metal Slug 3

Mark Stevens

Quiz Detective
I love this game on my AES. However, I've noticed some minor glitches in certain parts of the game. For instance, in level 3 when you pick up the Ostrich slug, I noticed that lines flicker on the top of the screen especially when firing the mounted guns. Also, in level 5, when you're having the battle with the mothership before going inside it, the mothership distorts whenever I fire the Rocket Launcher at it. Has anyone else noticed these glitches? They're very minor and yet bothersome because I cherish this game so much I want it to be free of every graphical flaw.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
The lines flickering on top of the screen are common. For some reason the clouds just have graphical glitches like that. I've heard that it was common in all the slugs, but I've only seen it in 3. I don't know about the mothership distorting, but I'm guessing that that's just another graphical glitch. So don't worry, it not just your copy, it happens on everyone's.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I havnt noticed these issues playing my cart on mvs, but something that I do notice is that this game does not go through the Neogeo intro at boot up, it goes staight to stage one.
Is this usual with MS3 on mvs ???

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Toddy, I read a thread about some people talking about this exact same thing. Apparently some MVS games don't go to the Neo boot-up screen on the first cycle through. Wait a bit for the intro to cycle and it'll probably pop up. Apparently it's normal.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Originally posted by Galford Forever:
<strong>Toddy, I read a thread about some people talking about this exact same thing. Apparently some MVS games don't go to the Neo boot-up screen on the first cycle through. Wait a bit for the intro to cycle and it'll probably pop up. Apparently it's normal.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks Galford.

You have put my mind at ease, thought I might have had a bum MS3 cart :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Ahhh, the flashing you see is not a glitch... it is GASP flicker!!! See, we all forgot about the old limitations of 16bit systems, but that is what happens when you are just pushing a sprite library to its max, you get draw issues and flickering... MS3 is an absolute marvel, I can't believe they pushed that game out of the ancient Neo Geo hardware, but there are these little problems, you'll see flicker when fighting the robot boss too, and yes with the mother ship as well. Also, there are sound issues (bad sample maybe?!?) at the end of every board when the music goes silent... you;ll hear a hissing/popping sound, again completly normal.

I serioulsy am amazed that is the only screen flicker we see in MS3. For the amount of cpu they are sucking on that game, it is truly an accomplishment. I've done work on other 16bit systems in the past, and... well, lets just say they are 1000000X better on that type of architecture then I am :)

-Nick