Why does nobody like SS3?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
kernow:
I am sticking to haohmaru, I thought I'd go back to basics and start with someone familiar.

I just find myself poking with B, and C when I think I can.. I get to about the 3rd/4th fight before getting spanked. Just need to be more defensive or something.

edit: I find that BC hops are useful too
With Haohmaru, you can do just about anything. Say you're in bust, do a dashing B, QCF+D, repeat. Works from front or behind.

Or, QCF+D, dash B, QCF+D, UC+D, UC+C/DM.

In slash, I try to AB sidestep whenever I can, and do a close B, HCB+C. I think ... but I can't remember, that he can just combo dashing Bs if timed right. I can't get the timing down on that though.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
oh dude, don't get me started on the Slash/Bust thing, I thought (again) I'd just use edit: SLASH for the meantime.

Confusing, maybe I need a fat mook to sit down with ...

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: kernow ]</small>

P-Geyser

Overtop Pathfinder
SS 3 is okay if you ask me. It's just not as good as Samurai Shodown 2 and I am talking everything including gameplay, graphics, bosses.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
rugal2000:
It looks like shit next to sam 1 and 2
Are you fucking kidding? Graphically SSIII has better sprites than SSI or SSII. Moreover, color depth was visibly improved from SSII to SSIII, and comparing SSIII to SSI is like comparing SSFIIX to SFIIWW - COME ON! If you think it looks like shit compared to SSI and SSII, then I think you have a screw loose.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I like the look of them both, maybe rugal is referring to ss2's 'character' or something.

the corn field..
nakaruru stage

et cetera

*shrugs*

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
kernow:
I like the look of them both, maybe rugal is referring to ss2's 'character' or something.

the corn field..
nakaruru stage

et cetera

*shrugs*
Nakoruru's stage is Rimururu's stage in SSIII, except in III it gets more animation.

And Nakoruru's own stage in SSIII is one fo the most incredible stages in any game, with the changing leave colors.

Background-wise, no game comes close to SSIII.

Take another look at the following:

Kyoshiro's stage
Genjuro's stage
Nakoruru's stage
Basara's stage
Amakusa's stage
Gaira's stage
Galford's stage

That's not to say SSII looked bad, but any idiot would see that there's a lot more going on in the stages of SSIII than in I, II, or IV.

The only things one would truly be able to compain about III for are:

fast timer
counter damage
lack of "your favorite character"
endings.

In terms fo graphics, sound, and mechanics, it outshines the rest of the series.

I just never liked SS3 because they totally changed it from 1 and 2, with SS2 being the all time best ever. I don't like the animations (they seem to much like KOF char.), traditional Samurai Shodown characters either don't move at all when standing still, or move very little unless you move them. Adding all the weird and stupid fighers really wasn't a good idea either. I mean the guy with the 3-tipped metal blade thing? What's that about? I don't like the fact that you can basically kill anybody with 3 hard slashes, whereas before you actaully had to be good at the game to beat each fighter. Granted, the level animations are better. What they should've done was bring together everybody from SS1 and SS2 and just "beefed" everybody up.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Thunder In Paradise:
I just never liked SS3 because they totally changed it from 1 and 2, with SS2 being the all time best ever. I don't like the animations (they seem to much like KOF char.), traditional Samurai Shodown characters either don't move at all when standing still, or move very little unless you move them. Adding all the weird and stupid fighers really wasn't a good idea either. I mean the guy with the 3-tipped metal blade thing? What's that about? I don't like the fact that you can basically kill anybody with 3 hard slashes, whereas before you actaully had to be good at the game to beat each fighter. Granted, the level animations are better. What they should've done was bring together everybody from SS1 and SS2 and just "beefed" everybody up.
The guy with the "three tipped metal blade" is Basara, and he's a progression of the Ninja Scroll offshooting that was most noticeable starting in SS2. See, the director of Ninja Scroll also had a part in the Sam Sho character design. Basara was part of that. As was Nicotine. Believe it or not.

Kibagami Jubei? Coincidence. No.

X-death

Raiden's Valet
SS4 is fun but easy. I have the Korean version of SS4. SS3 is good to but the characters aren't as fast as they are in SS4.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I want to chyme in:

SS3 is the most beautiful game I have ever played. The atmosphere is excellent and the gameplay is difficult, but you play long enough, and you will understand that it is different.

The game is class. From Nakoruru's Music to the tense feeling you get in the third round when both life bars a re flashing, it's all too much.

Visuallly, this game is one of the best on the NEO. The sprites are incredible; larga and well animated.

I could go on about this game, but there is too much to cover.

To let you know, I love Ukyo in this game. He is a madman. They ruined him in 4. 4 feels like shit in my opinion. Something about the jumping game has been toyed with.

Concluding, yes, ss3 is hard, but you have to get used to it. It's somewhat of a new experience. And I dont find it too much harder than 2.

Rade

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Bull fucking shit they aren't as fast. Are your slots loose?! Holy shit OMGASLLOLMAOROTFASLASL!!1!!

d00d! The game play in SSIII can get so fucking fast your head would spin. Put it on level 8, see how quickly the computer reacts to everything you do just to destroy you. It's the greatest mind you can insert into your system.

I'll give you sway on the fact it's easier. And fun is subjective, so you can have that too. But SSIII is not at all slower than SSIV.

You can't even do a DM out of a dash in SSIV, for fucks sake.

david

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I have samurai showdown 3 and it's one of my that I least play, but I like the game. Yes, it's great and all but I still don't know half the people on the rosters and I have not play around with the bust and slash because I'm always on bust.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
david:
I have samurai showdown 3 and it's one of my that I least play, but I like the game. Yes, it's great and all but I still don't know half the people on the rosters and I have not play around with the bust and slash because I'm always on bust.
you don't know half the roster? They only added 4 new faces... It's not like there are 7 characters.

Are you trying to say you're not really into samurai shodown period? oooookkkkkaaaayyyy....

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I see a lot of talk about the difficulty... Does anyone else play fighters almost exclusively two player? I mess around one player, but damn, no way would I care if the one player mode was too hard, easy, etc. It's the multiplayer that's where it's at! How's part three with a friend: that's what I'd like to hear.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
dmhawkmoon:
I see a lot of talk about the difficulty... Does anyone else play fighters almost exclusively two player? I mess around one player, but damn, no way would I care if the one player mode was too hard, easy, etc. It's the multiplayer that's where it's at! How's part three with a friend: that's what I'd like to hear.
Here's the thing - multiplayer the game si incredible. Because movements are more fluid, the amount of strategy involved in gameplay exceeds SSIV and even SSII. Dealing with human opponents, the mind games you can play are immense.

example - Hanzo has a fire snake that returns after covering a certain distance. in bust, with full pow, I like to throw the snake, and dash at the opponent - then I play a high low game. In dash, hit B to do a dashing low sweep, or do the Mozu otoshi - or, if you have full pow, you can do his DM out of the dash, which will catch them overhead or take them out of the air. Of course Hanzo's monkey dance is much more utilable in SSIII than later installments.

Basically there are a lot of moves, animation, and freedoms that didn't exist in SSII, and were removed from SSIV. Genjuro's QCF+slash can hit up to 5 times - not the case at all in SSII or IV. Haohmaru's dirt attack was actually useful in setting up long combos. Galford's lightning attacks comboed better, and didn't take from his plasma blade, plus button mashers wouldn't have to deal with his plasma spark problem as was the case in IV. Gaira had more range because the screen scaling moved in enough to tighten the area and give him a chance to take people on (which was definitely not the case in SSIV where he could get sodomized by half the roster without getting in a shot). Ukyo - he lost a lot of animation in SSIV. SSIII - yes, his tsubame gaeshi isn't a projectile anymore, and his after image attack sucks, but in bust mode, you have the most versatile Ukyo ever. Combined with his full animation musouzankouka DM, you also have the best looking Ukyo.

.... So you see, there's so much to do for a 2 player game. I used to play this game for hours in college with my old friends. But we didn't have teh same fun with SSIV. We only played SSII and SSIII, and that was through 1997.

But single player is where I really just can't get over the game. When you play against a person, you expect to lose 1 in 4 matches at least right? So when people lose against the CPU in SSIII, they feel like the computer is cheap and too hard. I would say that actually, the computer has adjusted to your patterns and that you should consider a change in strategy once in a while. Just like playing against a friend. And that's how I see the CPU, like a human almost. It's that smart. I don't see it taking less damage than it deals ever. I see it knowing what I am going to do and reacting. There hasn't been such a good AI since. Why? Because people don't want a challenge. They want a victory. I guess that's why they picked up the joystick in the first place - escapism. That's why the AI patterns in SSIV, Last Blade 1 and 2, and KoF games are so easy to get down, leaving the game boring unless in 2 player.

IMO.

IMO.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
rugal2000:
It looks like shit next to sam 1 and 2
Are you fucking kidding? Graphically SSIII has better sprites than SSI or SSII. Moreover, color depth was visibly improved from SSII to SSIII, and comparing SSIII to SSI is like comparing SSFIIX to SFIIWW - COME ON! If you think it looks like shit compared to SSI and SSII, then I think you have a screw loose.
People made the same argument about saying how CvS2 or GGX2 or SF3:TS looks better than Neo game X, etc.

One thing I learned from all those flame fests was that its all about opinions. :p

BTW, any one have some good videos of SS3 stuff? Hell I'd just like to watch an experienced player take down the friggin AI in single player.

Whats sad is how much I like games like SS and LB but I don't play them very much at all because NO ONE plays those games and when I finnally DO get someone to play they suck (because they haven't played) and get frustrated.

And honestly, I can only play against the AI for so much, I think it just gets a little boring as if you just play against the AI all the time you learn to do just that "beat the AI" not learn to play the game well. :(

Peace

JHendrix

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
For anyone looking for gameplay/combo vids

<a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/fc/ss3_vol1.avi" target="_blank">http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/fc/ss3_vol1.avi</a>

yeah yeah.. I haven't tried it as I'm at work, watch this space for more urls.. maybe

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
kernow:
For anyone looking for gameplay/combo vids

<a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/fc/ss3_vol1.avi" target="_blank">http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetdreamcast/orochinagi/cyberfan/fc/ss3_vol1.avi</a>

yeah yeah.. I haven't tried it as I'm at work, watch this space for more urls.. maybe
that's a decent video. It's basically like a selection of the combos shown in the gamest video.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
fan-tastic.. downloading now

mr hendrix?

*runs off to find more*

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
that video is koll, I need more now though

Bust haoh.. hmm, he looks fun :)