Why does nobody like SS3?

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
Sutch a sweet game, it doesn't get the praise it deserves IMO

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
its too motherfucking hard, I got my copy about 2months ago and I must admit not a great deal of playtime has gone into it so far.

but I do like it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My least favorite of all the Samauri games... I don't like it, the damage is too high, the AI is too wicked, the game is frustrating to me. It is gorgeous, and it has responsive controls, but I think the difficulty and damage ruin the experience. I agree with Kernow, I have had it a few years now on MVS, and I have only played it once or twice... I can't get into it at all. SS4 on the other hand gets TONS of play... basically that seems like SS2 part 2 to me :)

-Nick

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
This was posted over two hours ago. EW and Deuce are no where to be found. Mike senses foul play afoot.

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: EvilMike ]</small>

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I happen to love Samurai Shodown 3. It's been in one of my cabs for weeks now and gets played almost every day. I hear what people are saying about the high damage and AI, but I still love the game. It has fantastic artwork and music. The only thing I wish it had was a combo meter. Oh well, there's always SS4.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Sam 3 is my favorite of the Sam series. Gorgeous backgrounds, beautiful controls, however it is very difficult.

I think in all the years I have been playing it, I have only progressed perhaps 4 rounds.

Basara usually wipes the floor with my head.

Love the game. Sam 4 exceeds somewhat in gameplay, however the graphics in 3 are just fantastic. 4 is no slouch, I just think graphically 3 sits a few points higher.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
pyrokilla:
Sutch a sweet game, it doesn't get the praise it deserves IMO
Are you kidding? There were an abundance of people saying how this game was their favorite in an old SS3 thread. It's a great game, but under appreciated? Not at all.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SS3 is one of those games that seem to be impossible, hermetic, unfair, overly challenging, etc. - until you play with someone that is good at it and shows you some tricks, then SS3 opens up like a treasure chest.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Too bad I don't know anyone who could show me the magic of SS3..

I have got the whole series, but only 2 and 4 get a lot of playtime.

3 is just too hard, the fights are way too short, not enough interesting characters and I just can't get into it. I'm not saying it's a bad game, not at all actually, but I just prefer to play the other parts of this great series...

Maybe some day I will see the light. But I have already tried to love it, without too much success

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
leGionellz:
3 is just too hard, the fights are way too short, not enough interesting characters and I just can't get into it.
ok - these 3 statements are interesting - the last one I've never ehard before, but I'll discuss it.

It's too hard
+
and the fights are too short
=
someone isn't very good at the game.

Let me admit, I still get my ass handed to me by the AI. I don't complain though. The computer takes the same damage that it gives. It doesn't do "crazy things" like dragon punches sans recovery time. It's just smart. And if you can't appreciate what is the smartest AI on the neo geo, then I would say you have a personal issue.

I really like what Takumaji said - play against someone who is good and you'll learn tricks that open the game like a treasure chest. Indeed that is true - and it was true for me. Although I loved the game from the start, I had the priviledge of playing it at Chinatown fair back in 1995~1996 all the time against the best FOB (term used endearingly) ninjas chinatown had to offer. And I learned to play the game well. The controls were, and are, excellent, even to this day. Compared to KoF 95 which had stiffer controls and an insane normal difficulty, SSIII was a breeze.

And you can't complain about control in SSIII. Play a 2 player game and have your friend come at you with a combo - what can you do in 3 that you can't do in IV? Counter out of the combo. Yeah, if your blocking in IV, you're just going to have to wait a while. If you get hit after having your combo blocked, I guess you fell asleep.

SSIII was also the last game to have unique commands for each DM. I don't know how anyone could appreciate the dumbing down of the controls in SSIV, but I guess some people also like paint by numbers and the feeling of victory after taking 3rd grade math tests, so no big deal. back, forward, down +AB. Combine that with the Killer Instinct dail-a-combo CD,A,A,B,B,C,C,A,B,C,C,C,C,C and you've got gameplay gold.... or at least the biggest piece of gilded cack for 1996. This isn't about IV, but I do see that a lot of people who dislike III, love IV. The only thing I like about IV is Kazuki. His brother, Cheezetsu Cheezama, proves without a doubt how unbalanced the game was. Of course, anyone that that tried to play as Amakusa in SSIII would see an imbalance there, but at least Amakusa could use cheap tactics to score a win. Sadly, SSIV Gaira cannot do shit against a good Sogetsu player.

So anyhow, on to that point about the lack of interesting characters... SSIV had 1 new character that was interesting - Kazuki. They killed the most interesting parts of Basara, made Jubei 30 pounds overweight, turned Tam Tam into a pervert, and still neglected us Earthquake and Gen-An, who I much prefered over Tam Tam... Charlotte, I loved her variable DM, but I felt she just wasn't the same as from II, and it doesn't feel right playing as her. Right, that said, I don't really think IV is successor to I and II that people were looking for after III proved so different. But people like it for whatever reason. Hey, I like Blazing Star more than Pulstar, and some purists would tell me that Pulstar is better. It's all taste.

Right now, my only gripe with SSIII is that there are decapitations in the game, and I can't figure out how to unlock them through the debug dips. Gawd... I'd love to run this game through a decompiler and figure out how to get that shit to show up in gameplay.

edit: I don't drink at work, but I type like I do.

<small>[ April 07, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: EvilWasabi ]</small>

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
uhm, nice :)

*runs off to play ss3*

so, I've seen this "treasure chest" analergy crop up twice now, it'd be great to have a few examples.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
kernow:
uhm, nice :)

*runs off to play ss3*

so, I've seen this "treasure chest" analergy crop up twice now, it'd be great to have a few examples.
I have a gamest video for SSIII. Maybe one day I'll put it on my non-existent website.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You do that, put it in the same dir as "kern_vs_ew_schooling.mpg"

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Went back to my roots, good old haohmaru, still got pretty owned in the 2nd/3rd round. I'm just poking with B to keep them away, and big C's when, well basically when I think I can get away with it.

hmm

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:

Combine that with the Killer Instinct dail-a-combo CD,A,A,B,B,C,C,A,B,C,C,C,C,C and you've got gameplay gold....
Is this III or IV, because I couldn't do it in III, maybe I'm a tool. spock

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
kernow:
EvilWasabi:

Combine that with the Killer Instinct dail-a-combo CD,A,A,B,B,C,C,A,B,C,C,C,C,C and you've got gameplay gold....
He's talking about the CD combo system used in IV.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
[I really like what Takumaji said - play against someone who is good and you'll learn tricks that open the game like a treasure chest. Indeed that is true - and it was true for me.
Tak/Charlie - A nice thread on this would be appreciative.

And so would that video. I've seen SS4 tourney fights, but those revolve around the 14 hit CD combo. Seeing some SS3 stuff would be nice.

Peace

JHendrix

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Average Joe:
kernow:
EvilWasabi:

He's talking about the CD combo system used in IV.
Thanks, still getting owned after another hour with Haoh.. frown

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Don't worry about it, that happens a lot.

I've had SSIII for a couple months now and still get frequently spanked by the computer, usually it takes me a week to master the AI, but not with this game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SS3 is a dark tale with lots of brilliant graphics, awesome samples and music, and a really tight gameplay. The CPU is quite cheesy, but let's not forget that there's a 2P mode, and that's where it's at IMO. Fights in SS3 can become very intense, and that's best experienced with a couple of friends.

The CPU difficulty of the game is high, no doubt about that. Like EvilWasabi, I had the chance to learn a thing or two about it from a seasoned player that I met at the arcade. He beat my ass back and forth with almost any character and used to grin like an idiot after every victory. I was quite mad about him and figured that I had two options, to kill him or to learn, so I chose the latter and eventually asked him how to play the damn game.

I have to admit that I'm still not very good at it, ppl like EW would prolly rip me a new one, but here's what works for me:

Blocks - it took me a while to get a clue about SS3's 3-way blocking, but it's essential to know how to block certain key moves (for ex. Hanzo's damn Sky Dance (hcb+BCD)).

Dodging/sidesteps (AB) - AB is your friend. A well-placed dodge + C can do a lot of damage. I had to learn how to use dodges to avoid ground projectiles in order not to get lured into a jump right into an opponent's standing C.

Hop crushes (BC) - these can be slung into many of your favourite moves, for ex. Nakoruru's b,d,db+C -> BC. Me heap luv B,C,BC! :)

Slash or Bust - I had my first good fights with a Bust Genjuro or Nakoruru. It was easier for me at first. I like Bust Genjuro's useful f,b,f+C.

About the characters, well, I really miss Earthquake and specially Jubei, I literally "see" him in SS3, it sucks that he has been left out. Other than that, I really can't see a boring lineup, even more as the Slash/Bust selection effectively doubles the available charas. Genjuro, Nakoruru, Haohmaru and Gaira are my faves, in any mode, while I prefer Bust versions of Kyoshiro and Hanzo.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Thanks a lot.

I'm still getting hammered, but not as much I guess :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I am sticking to haohmaru, I thought I'd go back to basics and start with someone familiar.

I just find myself poking with B, and C when I think I can.. I get to about the 3rd/4th fight before getting spanked. Just need to be more defensive or something.

edit: I find that BC hops are useful too

<small>[ April 08, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: kernow ]</small>