Ibara: pcb vs. port? (noob)

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I have a supergun and was wondering how these 2 compare. I don't have a Japanese PS2 and don't speak/read the language, but from what I understand Cave's arcade releases (aside from their ridiculously limited US Progear kits) are all Japanese text anyhow.

I'm thinking of purchasing an Ibara kit since they can be found so cheap, though. Is the port arcade perfect? Also, is Pink Sweets expected to be ported in the future?

Thanks!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Well, I've played both and really the only reason I would get the PCB over the PS2 version would be that the PCB doesnt have the weird filter/resoultion problem the PS2 version has. Either way youre going to have to spend a few hundred dollars it looks like.

TWE

Zero's Secretary
The Ibara PCB is much, much better than the port. The port is pretty much crap.
Main advantages of the PCB over the PS2:

-crisp, clean graphics. The PS2 uses an ugly 'blur' filter, and fake 'hi res' graphics
-slowdown in places where the action heats up. The PS2 version gets rid of ALL slowdown, making many parts more difficult than they are in the original PCB. This also effects scoring.
-some enemies are placed differently in the PS2 version, and this has a negative effect on your score
-no load times. The PS2's load times are excessive.
-There are also some graphical differences, for example in the PCB the sections of the trains on stage 3 each move independently, but in the PS2 version they're all one big sprite/background that is no longer composed of individual segments.

I had the PS2 version, and bought the PCB a few months ago. I recently sold my PS2 version as I never touched it anymore. I still love to play my PCB though! For the price the PCB goes for now, it's a great buy.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Hey you guys (heh),

Thanks for the replies. While I'm at it, is there much of a difference between the espgaluda port vs. pcb?

Kiel

20 Year Member
2Heed said:
Hey you guys (heh),

Thanks for the replies. While I'm at it, is there much of a difference between the espgaluda port vs. pcb?

I own both and I can say the PS2 version is really good. Arika did a steller job with the port and I personally havent noticed too many differences. The only thing that really comes to mind is there is no static when you score really big and the final bullet pattern on the 3rd boss comes out a little...different, its hard to explain.

And of course the PCB is rad to the max.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
You mean the PS2 port also costs more than 100$ now? :eek:

No, he has to buy a JPN PS2 or get one modded and that will cost some money.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I used to play Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou on an NTSC-U PS2 with a $20 swap magic disc.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Kiel said:
No, he has to buy a JPN PS2 or get one modded and that will cost some money.

Oh, OK. Anyway buying a JPN PS2 or modding one (which can be very cheap with a swap magic disc) is something he only needs to do once and then he can play all the games he wants.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Ok, so ageeees ago I got all hyped about this game and I picked up the port on release only to shriek in terror at the blurry graphics.

Worse was to come when I first started playing, as I just loathed it, even though I am a big garregga fan.

Long story short, I recently tried the game again and have started to click with it - well at least the arrange mode, in fact I adore the arrange mode.

Strange as I am I also think that the option to turn the uncolour the bullets, really improves the look.

As a result I am looking at possibly getting the pcb of either Ibara or the death label version.

Does anyone know if there is an option (dipsetting or whatever) to make the bullets colourless in either of these pcb's or was that a port only extra?

anyone?

bay

Armored Scrum Object
bloodhokuto said:
Does anyone know if there is an option (dipsetting or whatever) to make the bullets colourless in either of these pcb's or was that a port only extra?

not on the pcb as far as i know.

the pcb black label version is a different game than the arrange mode on ps2. they do shame some things, but overall it's different.

i don't recall there being any switch for black label pcbs to uncolor bullets either. then again, i never looked.

bwodie

Another Striker
2Heed said:
but from what I understand Cave's arcade releases (aside from their ridiculously limited US Progear kits) are all Japanese text anyhow.

I have DoDonPachi and ESPR.A.D.E and both of those are in english :conf:

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
bwodie said:
I have DoDonPachi and ESPR.A.D.E and both of those are in english :conf:

There were a few international releases with english text.:)

The only one I have is ESPrade though, so I can't comment past that.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
I never played the PS2 port, but I do own the PCB and all I can say is that you can't beat the PCB over an "inferior" port! Get the PCB since you already have a SuperGun!

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Piratero said:
I never played the PS2 port, but I do own the PCB and all I can say is that you can't beat the PCB over an "inferior" port! Get the PCB since you already have a SuperGun!

Talk like that costs credits! Yeh I really fancy the pcb, just need to find a black label pcb somewhere now!

And BIG - I really fancy getting a cab now - i like those teeny japanese ones - I don't know what their name is. Do they do fancy cabs now with Lcd screens? Im sure i saw some on a muchi muchi replay vid?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BIG said:
co-signed.

B-

all in favor? [raises hands]

Both that and DOJ are great ports. Taito ports sucked ass and gave me eye-cancer.

Get the Ibara PCB!

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
all in favor? [raises hands]

Both that and DOJ are great ports. Taito ports sucked ass and gave me eye-cancer.

Get the Ibara PCB!

I can get my hands on an Ibara kit for a wide variety of prices, it is relatively inexpensive which is cool, but I think I will have to get black label.

Any ideas as to the price level for this?

Anyone willing to shout out 'Don't get Black Label you spazzing bell end!' ??

bay

Armored Scrum Object
bloodhokuto said:
I can get my hands on an Ibara kit for a wide variety of prices, it is relatively inexpensive which is cool, but I think I will have to get black label.

Any ideas as to the price level for this?

Anyone willing to shout out 'Don't get Black Label you spazzing bell end!' ??

IMHO black label is the pcb i'd own, i find it more enjoyable to play.

wishiwashi approved.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Ok, I have been offered a 'new' black label kit for $1400.

Is that off, i was expecting $1000 max?

Was there a poster packed with the new kits?

Was it limited to 100 or 500?

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
bloodhokuto said:

Fujita has the PCB only listed at 103,000 yen which is about 850-860 dollars. It comes down to what you are willing to pay for the art and box I suppose.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
bloodhokuto said:

i can't recall how far a black label kit dropped, but you aren't going to find them that readily available. i saw one go for sale for about 1400$ last.

100 would seem unrealistically low, IMHO.

there was no poster with the black label kit, nor do i remember a black label poster at all being available.

i've seen the bare pcb for black label going for the 1300$ range now as well.