Places to go in Berlin on New Year's Eve

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Ok, I am going to Berlin for a week late this year. I have planned to spend New Year's Eve there, so I would like if anyone of you could point me cool areas to party by.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I spent two new years eves in Berlin and IMO the best party place is the Strasse des 17. Juni, it's a huge broadway that is packed full of party people (500k+), lots of public cafes, beer, champagne, good food and bands/live music at every corner, and of course there will be a huge professional fireworks display.

Basically the whole city will be one huge party place, Kurfürstendamm (one of the centers of Berlin) usually is crowded and boasting with activity.

We call new years eve "Silvester", btw.

Oh, and it should be noted that many Germans (myself included) are pyrotechnics freaks... there will be a lot of private fireworks as well so it probably can't hurt to wear a cap or hat... :D ;)

If you want to shoot some fireworks yourself, buy the German stuff from companies like Weco, Nico, Comet or Zink, much better than Chinese import crap. Fireworks will be sold from 28th of December until noon 31th, you must be 18 yrs or older for class 2 stuff, class 1 is kids fireworks.

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info, Takumaji. By the way, people use to party in the street or in lounges and pubs?

Are the discos expensive? How much, more or less?

Do you have to wear formal clothes to get in?

Thanks again:buttrock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Vlad said:
Thanks for the info, Takumaji. By the way, people use to party in the street or in lounges and pubs?

Are the discos expensive? How much, more or less?

Do you have to wear formal clothes to get in?

Thanks again:buttrock:

The party in the Strasse des 17. Juni mostly takes place outside. Entrance fee for discos or clubs ranges form 5.- Euro to 20.- Euro depending on the location. Normally there is no strict dresscode but if you want to be on the safe side, avoid wearing Jeans and sneakers, that's about it. Things are way more relaxed on New Year's eve so you shouldn't have any problems here.

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Thanks. A new batch of questions for you (hope it doesn't bother):

-How long do parties last? (the kind of 9:00 am or so, I mean, Ibiza style)
-Is it allowed to smoke in the discos?
-Is booze (besides beer, rum, whisky, vodka, etc) very expensive?

kroko^unleashed

Rugal's Thug
2. No smoking in closed public places
3. i would lie if i said no. but when u buy it at a super markt it is cheaper than in the discos and even cheaper than in sweden :ugly:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Vlad said:
Thanks. A new batch of questions for you (hope it doesn't bother):

-How long do parties last? (the kind of 9:00 am or so, I mean, Ibiza style)
-Is it allowed to smoke in the discos?
-Is booze (besides beer, rum, whisky, vodka, etc) very expensive?

Some parties in certain clubs last as long as the parties last... :) ...and afterwards there are After Hour parties until dawn of the next day...

Smoking is frowned upon in most discos and clubs but that differs from place to place, smoking in pubs usually is okay as long as you stay in the smoker area.

Prices for drinks vary from location to location, some are affordable (beer prices ranging from 2,50 Euros to 5 Euros per half liter in normal pubs) but mix drinks and stuff like that can be very pricey in some clubs (10-15 Euros and up). Soft drinks usually are more expensive than beer, btw.

For the Strasse des 17. Juni party, there's no need to buy expensive stuff from kiosks or clubs, do as kroko^unleashed said, raid a supermarket, buy a crate of good beer or two, a few bottles of vodka and Jägermeister and party away! :D

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Takumaji, is the Strasse des 17 near Kurfürstendamm?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Vlad said:
Takumaji, is the Strasse des 17 near Kurfürstendamm?

Yep, the Strasse des 17. Juni lies about 800m north of the Gedächtniskirche, a famous landmark on Kurfürstendamm, you can't miss it, several public transport lines (subways) meet there.

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Danke schön (I am learning German, but I have just attended 8 lessons and it's damn hard)