My Phantasy Star Universe thoughts

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Here's a nice visual aid for the expert classes made by one of the members of the pso-world forums. The numbers represent the required class levels; so if you wanted to be a wartecher you'd first need to be a level five force and a level three hunter.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Magician said:
Here's a nice visual aid for the expert classes made by one of the members of the pso-world forums. The numbers represent the required class levels; so if you wanted to be a wartecher you'd first need to be a level five force and a level three hunter.

That's awesome! Did you play PSO? It seems like it takes a LONG time to level up your class. I didn't level up my class at all when I played the beta and I played for around 18 hours or so... (I think towards the end I forgot about leveling up my class.)

I heard that you can change your class too.. seems pretty rad.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Yep, you can change your class. You do that in the Guardian hall. (In the space station, that's the 5th floor). There's a desk person to talk to, if you want to switch classes. Raising your class is all about the Mission points you get from completing a mission. Try not to let anybody die for the better mission grades. Better grades help increase the amount of awarded mission points for you. However, a word of warning, Mission points awarded are much less online than they are offline. This is mainly because they designed it so that you increase levels and such faster offline than you would with your online characters.

It doesn't take too long, though. That's one of the reasons to not stick with the easiest, lowest missions for too long. Once you gain like 5 levels, it's best to search for missions more akin to your level, and ones that have better level requirements, for the better mission bonuses. You also will more likely fight monsters that give you better exp, for your general character level. (You'll start to see missions that have a level 5 req, or a level 10 req, or a level 15 req, and so on.)

It's one of the reasons I was urging Magician to go to Parum and do some missions down there. It's the general next logical progression to keep your gains coming faster, as I experimented with, in the offline sessions.

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Anyone know of a site with detailed descriptions of the character classes? I've never played a PSO game before, but I'm kind of interested in this one.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
Anyone know of a site with detailed descriptions of the character classes? I've never played a PSO game before, but I'm kind of interested in this one.

PSUpedia covers it all, and quite well too.

Basic (starting) Classes

Expert (veteran) Classes

Depend on what race you choose, that determines what class you start as. If you choose either Human or Beast you'll be a hunter. If you choose Cast, a Ranger. Or if you choose Newman, a force. Expert classes are either a more powerful version of the the basic classes or a hybrid, combining of two of the three.

After some time as a force I realized that I don't enjoy using techs very much, and so I've decided to become just a straight hunter and then a fortefighter.

Kirk Foiden said:
It's one of the reasons I was urging Magician to go to Parum and do some missions down there. It's the general next logical progression to keep your gains coming faster, as I experimented with, in the offline sessions.

While the jump in experience was nice I would much rather prefer to run Unsafe Passage C and Fight for Food C over and over again for the quick mission points. I could've run both a number of times in the amount of time it took us to run the Parum missions.

RBjakeSpecial said:
That's awesome! Did you play PSO? It seems like it takes a LONG time to level up your class. I didn't level up my class at all when I played the beta and I played for around 18 hours or so... (I think towards the end I forgot about leveling up my class.)

Looks as though it takes 100 mission points to raise your class level though I didn't notice if this number increased or not. With my first character, a level 18 human hunter, I almost made it to a level 4 hunter after 24hrs. My second character, a beast hunter/force, I made it to a level 2 hunter and a level 2 force after 16hrs. But of course I was running missions constantly. I never dabbled with a player store or waited in lobbies to form a party, I just ran, constantly.

You get 2 mission points for an S-rank in Unsafe Passage C and 3 points for an S-rank in Fight for Food C. Soloing at a character level of 1 it takes about an hour to complete both, at a character level 5 about 40 minutes, and about 30 minutes at level 10. Armor quality is insignificant on these stages, the sooner you upgrade your weapons the faster you'll cruise through. But if you prefer to tackle anything else, like the 10+ stages of Parum, armor upgrades are a must.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Can you guys do me a REALLY big favor?

The Japanese game is coming out December 14th. The Xbox360 version might be region-free.. but there is no hunters liscense available on the Japanese market place.

If you see some Japanese players please let me know (in this thread or PM me) cause then I'll go out and buy the game right away.

I'm still playing the one player, 2 hours into the quest now, it's pretty cool.. (although the ps2 graphics... I know I already complained about it but, OH MAN the xbox's graphics rule on PSU!)

Can't wait to adventure with you guys!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
EBgames.com is showing a ship date of 10/25 for the X360 version, but the PS2 version shows as "shipped" and the PC version still shows as 10/24.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
MilkManX said:
Gamesuck/EB wont get their copies till Thursday now. :(

That's a rumor for the 360 version only. The PS2/PC version will be on store shelves tomorrow.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Magician said:
While the jump in experience was nice I would much rather prefer to run Unsafe Passage C and Fight for Food C over and over again for the quick mission points. I could've run both a number of times in the amount of time it took us to run the Parum missions.

That's mainly because of the missions you actually picked. There are other Parum missions, including ones you can access from the Subway instead. I was hoping, at that time, we could tackle some of the Level 5 req. missions, as those also go fast and award more points than the Space Station missions.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
tokengamer said:
That's a rumor for the 360 version only. The PS2/PC version will be on store shelves tomorrow.

NO Rumor. I work at EB. We got an email that SEGA isnt shipping out the 360 one till Wednesday hence the date.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
MilkManX said:
NO Rumor. I work at EB. We got an email that SEGA isnt shipping out the 360 one till Wednesday hence the date.

Did you guys get the PS2/PC versions in yet? We were supposed to get them in today, but we didn't. :/

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
MilkManX said:

That sucks. I saw where the date changed for the 360 version. I just got my 360 back and was hoping to pick up my pre order tomorrow.:crying:

Anyway, I guess I have plenty of games to play for the next day or two.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Soniku said:
Did you guys get the PS2/PC versions in yet? We were supposed to get them in today, but we didn't. :/

No idea. I only work 1 shift every week or 2. I heard some stores had the PC version today. PS2 tommarow and 360 version on Thursday.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
That's pretty shitty that its release(s) don't seem to have a solid date.

I ordered mine over at ebgames.com a while ago using next day shipping (I'm going to be at work when the stores open up) and it's out for delivery now.

Was also reading around the net and it seems that some people and certain stores actually did get their copies in yesterday...

Kind of odd.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
One of my LIVE friends had his copy last night. TRU in Orange County had it yesterday.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Picking mine up today (PC version)..

I have my USB controller ready to go..

We set up our Ventrilo voice chat server yesterday..

I already purchased my Guardian's license..

I am 100% ready to go now. I only wish I had the next couple of days off.. :crying:

thundr51

Bead Banger
I'm going to pick this game up tomorrow but not sure exactly what kind of character to create. I want to be a Cast but I remember hating that I couldn't heal and that sucked! However I loved that I couldn't get poisoned! Beast sounds nice because I love melee but not sure...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I had it sent next day air and as of 7pm, still not received it. I don't think UPS makes shipments past 6pm. :(

Edit: Just got it a few minutes ago. Didn't get the soundtrack though.

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
My 360 version came in, this morning. Also got the soundtrack. The guys in the store reported that they had 8 pre-orders on the 360 version and that's all they got in, with the shipment.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I started playing this game today, around 3:30 and played for 2.5-3 hours. I had trouble figuring out what to do at first (because I didn't do the tutorial), but after that I knew what I was doing. I'm playing the ps2 version and it's pretty damn fun. The graphics aren't bad and the slow down isn't too bad either (but I don't have a 360 so I'm used to load times) - I guess loading is the one thing that sucks about it. The systems are a little overwhelming at first like PP and the palette system, but I'm sure I'll catch on quick (I'm rusty having not played in about 4 years). I hope they figure out a way to keep people from cheating like they did on the GC. Cheating takes the fun out of it if you ask me. I wish I had time to play this more, but I have a lot of credits this semester and so I can't play too much. But I plan on getting the pc version too so I can play at my parents house if I go home to visit.:D

I got a logitech keyboard at eb for ten bucks, so I really don't think voice chat would be a huge improvement. Although, I do miss the import keyboard/controller I had for GC.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
my initial impression involved a shit ton of swearing.
Photons?

the weapon system made me feel like i was play FFTA on the GBA....

I am getting into now, but fuck. The endless tutorials, and lack of direction....

i still dunno where to go to play the game, rather than doing these missions... Is there still a main plot line that you can do in multiplayer, or is it all missions?!?

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
RBjakeSpecial said:
Can you guys do me a REALLY big favor?

The Japanese game is coming out December 14th. The Xbox360 version might be region-free.. but there is no hunters liscense available on the Japanese market place.

If you see some Japanese players please let me know (in this thread or PM me) cause then I'll go out and buy the game right away.

I'm still playing the one player, 2 hours into the quest now, it's pretty cool.. (although the ps2 graphics... I know I already complained about it but, OH MAN the xbox's graphics rule on PSU!)

Can't wait to adventure with you guys!
I just got it today!
And i believe the US release is region free.

But, i cant get online, as my xbox live account is Japanese, and i cant get the license. It says "your license has expired. Buy a new one?" and i say "yes", and the page comes up, but says no memberships available.
this is lame!

Oh, and the voice acting in the single player game is TERRIBLE.
(its also bullshit that the shitbox version is $10 more than PC/PS2).