My Phantasy Star Universe thoughts

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll cut right to the chase: I don't like it. I really really really loved PS4, and PSO 1 and 2. Loved them.

I just don't care for this. The system's not as easy to get into. In some spots, the graphics (IMHO) have actually gone down from episode 2. I don't like the new fighting system, too. Strafing is impossible, now. And lastly, I don't like the new class system. I loved how there were different types of Casts and so on. Oh well, guess I won't have to waste my money on this one now.

Just my quick opinion, as I'm at work and should be.... working.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Don't say that! It's gonna be awesome! I don't know if I like strafing (sounds like that will make it more FPS-like).

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Spike Spiegel said:
I'll cut right to the chase: I don't like it. I really really really loved PS4, and PSO 1 and 2. Loved them.

I just don't care for this. The system's not as easy to get into. In some spots, the graphics (IMHO) have actually gone down from episode 2. I don't like the new fighting system, too. Strafing is impossible, now. And lastly, I don't like the new class system. I loved how there were different types of Casts and so on. Oh well, guess I won't have to waste my money on this one now.

Just my quick opinion, as I'm at work and should be.... working.

I sorta had the same initial feelings. Then I hooked up with Loopz and some other people and really had a blast. I love this game and its the only game I will probably buy this month.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll go into it a bit more. I loved the system for fighting in PSO. I love how you had to time the hits, not unlike Fei Long's rekka punches. This one you can just pound away on the button and they come out. The lock on system was better. You see someone, you lock onto them, and always you can keep an eye on them while straffing around for a better postion, or just to keep a lock.

Maybe I'm just getting old. Perhaps if I played with some people for a while, I'd have more fun? I was in a group of friends for only half an hour, and just wasn't enjoying myself.

Oh well, more money to dedicate to GOW.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
As someone who put a crazy amount of time into the PSO series, I'd say that in terms of gameplay, it's very easy to get into...

It takes a bit of adjustment, but nothing worth complaining about (I'm speaking in terms of gameplay though.)

The weapon synthesizing is going to take a bit of getting used to.

And as someone who primarily played a Force, so will the way Technique's are being utilized in the game (but the new way adds a bit more strategy to the mix... and I like it.)

I know what you mean when you talk about button timing in comparison to the original, but it's not like the way that was implemented was all that complicated to begin with either.

Yeah... you had to time your hits a bit more smoothly, but really, was it even noticable once you really got into the game (PSO)?

Answer: Not at all.

In PSO, it pretty much became second nature to time shots the way you did after a while; so much so that missing basically become a weird fluke or an improbability rather than a common occurrence (unless you sucked.)

But to be fair, there is a bit of timing between going from regular hits to Photon Arts hits... very much reminiscent of the original PSO's control scheme.

I mean, you most certainly cannot simply mash the buttons and hope to get a favorable result from them.

Speaking of Photon Arts, have you seen how they work?

A good portion of them revolve around precise control and hitting a different enemy with a different portion of your PA attack, so there is most definitely a healthy supply of timing involved with that.

Obviously, it's not going to be a timing method akin to that of the fighting genre, but I really don't see how it's any more or less forgiving in terms of timing hits than the original.

As for the lock-on system?

I'm not even going to get into that, as for the simple fact that I don't think it does anything to the gameplay (even in comparison the original) but add to it.

If your initial impression of the game are a negative one...?

Then I'm sorry and I'm not sure what the say.

Maybe it's not what you were hoping for?

Maybe it never will be?

Maybe it will be after time spent playing it some?

I don't know...

All I know is that I've loved what I've seen and can't wait for the US release day to come.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
You fucking assholes!

I don't have $500+ to spend on all of this right now!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
TonK said:
You fucking assholes!

I don't have $500+ to spend on all of this right now!

Just get it for PS2. They'll be more people on it that and PC anyway.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
How have you all played it?
October 24th right?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Xavier said:
How have you all played it?
October 24th right?

X360 open beta.

And TonK, me and my crew will be playing the PC/PS2 version for the most part, so that's quite a few people to meet up with.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Well, it has been an absolute blast for me so far, too bad the beta is done now (Live, down for service and the Beta closes Wed). After spending 18hrs I was able to obtain a B-rank weapon, B-rank armor, open my own store and level my partner machine to level 4 (all in striking). I only synthesized monomates though, unfortunately. Only in the last hour of the 18 was I able to complete a B-rank mission while being partied with one other person.

I must have put over 200 hrs into PSO, but it was all offline, playing PSU has been a totally new and thoroughly enjoyable experience. The voice chat wonderful, only working while in your room or with those currently in your party. From PSO to PSU, I like how the main attack can be button mashed but PAs have to be timed. I was a hunter so I never used the lock-on much at all, so I can't comment on it. But after putting some time in as a hunter I can see what the attration is, being at the front, slicing and dicing enemies...is quite a cathartic experience. However, there still was always a need for forces it seems, as lots of folks around the space port trying to party were always looking for one.

Myself, I think I'll stay a hunter, I'm digging it way too much to go back to a force. But I would like to have some low level technics at my disposal and so I intend on becoming a Wartecher asap. To do so I'll not be opening a shop asap and focus my early earnings on equipment so that I can progress in class levels quicker. The requirements for Wartecher are hunter level 3 and force level 5. The only S-rank weapon they can use are twin daggers, but it's a small price to pay.

It'll take some time too. Through the 18hrs I came just short of level hunter level 4, so to get hunter level 3 and force level 5 will probably take well over 30 hrs. While running missions I love that items can be sorted evenly, preventing item hording. Too bad meseta isn't the same.

Anyway, I'm diggin' it, I'll be paying $10/month for it, I might as well enjoy it.

And I shall.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Believe me, PSU did a ton of things to improve from the PSO system. However, you don't see the reason why the changes are made, from the beginning. The timing thing really didn't make a difference, when it came down to it mainly because the strategies of how to really hurt monster changed.

The strafing model works because monsters have completely changed and updated aggression patterns. They're also, on a whole, a lot faster now so the gameplay isn't exactly accomodating for a style that relies on people constantly, turning their backs to reposition (for a while), and then try to turn around and get a fix on. You need to do that, still, to avoid various overwhelming factors, but it doesn't become your whole game anymore. Now you can pop out more stuff on them, before you need to turn. In short, it takes some movement shackles off you and the monsters.

Too bad I never got to hook up with Magician. But I hope he got with a party that knew what they were doing. I was hoping to see people on, when I got on, to give some examples of how to manually string attack combinations together. And to make decisions as to *when* it is best to utilize certain attack skills and such.

A good example is one of those SEED flower mid-boss type things. The ones that shoot the powerful blue orbs, and also have a pretty nice 360 swipe attack. They prime themselves before the swipe, and that's usually the best time to do a Saber/Sword special. It knocks them down and stuns them for people to pour on damage.

Strafing, on the other hand, allows forces to better aim linear spells as well as ramping up the Ranger's game. Particularly fans of Dual gun weapon styles. So, in a way, it (in combination with skills, attack interrupts (which happen as a combination of factors) does a lot to improve the Ranger's and Hunter's game. They're just more fun to play, and they have more variety than before. No need to leave all that kind of fun just to the Forces. Plus that ability to move around while shooting certain guns is a boon. I always strafe, but that's because I feel the new system really pushes one to do so. It's not like an FPS at all, even though they both have strafing. Heck, Anybody who has played the Hunter: The Reckoning for Xbox, or any of the other (white wolf series) Hunter games, will relate to the idea of a game that has strafing, but still doesn't make it any closer to an FPS for it. To a certain degree, what it does, is make more things truly physically possible for Phantasy Star characters to do, possible. Once you put it to good use, it just looks and feels more natural.

Also, there are advanced classes as well, as Magician pointed out; but I doubt anybody would see them in the demo. Especially with the way Mission Points are given (online. The offline Mission Points for raising class levels happen more quickly). I played the Beta strictly as my Force named "Orlando D. ". Kind of funny seeing people wandering around, and I'm just going directly to places doing exactly what I learned that an early force should go for, right away. Every step with a purpose. But that's mostly because of the short time given for the beta.

So remember, even though there were changes to battle options for a player, don't go assuming the rest of the game is exactly like PSO. Yeah, it wouldn't be so good if the rest of the game remained the same, but you just have to get in mind that the game is revamped to take advantage of the new battle system. You can manually string attack combinations together, for a reason. It wont take very long to run into monsters that can really take a beating, not to mention also coming in numbers.

My attitude, I guess, is that I grabbed the new system's abilities by the bullhorns and ran with it. It's fun to utilize all that the system gives you at a time, and even more fun when you survive by the skin of your teeth because you did it (as opposed to dying for being too frugal with it). You have to do quite a bit of PP conservation, which is what causes one to learn how to balance weapons and switch appropriately. The interface is also leagues better as for the most part, you have to deal with no menus while fighting, and you can pretty much access everything with a quick touch of a button or two. Over time, if you get used to your setup, you wont even look at the double scroll-wheel, on the bottom right, and just do it by feel.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
OMG this game rocks. I couldn't believe how HUGE the beta was.. unfortunately I forgot to pay my internet bill so it crashed when I was on a really cool part. I wrote some impressions, I think most people here played it, but this is for people who didn't:

Phantasy Star Universe Xbox360 Beta Release Impressions

Out of the blue a 900 meg download appeared on Xbox live. It was the beta for the new Phantasy Star Universe. The game is much more than a regular demo, I played it for about 10 hours and didn’t feel that I even scratched the surface of what the game had to offer.

This was my first experience with the mmorpg genre experience (although I heard some people say it wasn’t a ‘true’ mmorpg.) The game REALLY impressed me. The graphics are beautiful and Sci-Fi feeling. The world kind of felt a little like the original Phantasy Star plus an obvious Star Wars influence.

Basically the way the game works is that you choose a class and what your dude looks like and then you get into a spaceport on the Guardian Colony. Once in the space port you can travel to different planets and go on adventures with parties up to 6 players.
In the spaceport there are all these players hanging out. There are about 50 actions your character can do like dancing and hip thrusting and things. So I made a character with almost no clothes on and mohawk, danced in the lobby while shouting, “Join the GHEYS” while other people were shouting back (typing back) “STFU NOOB”. It was awesome gaming experience.

You can chat in there with the keyboard (ANY USB keyboard will plug right into your xbox! It’s crazy.) And from there you can join a party (then you can voice chat) and go on adventures. There were a bunch of people just running around typing funny crap and sitting around on furniture.

The adventures are basically just hack and slash missions where you have to work together to kill a crap load of guys. You just walk from room to room killing bad guys and getting keys to unlock doors. It’s pretty mindless, but enough to do to be fun. It reminds me of sitting around with a bunch of people and playing gauntlet. One cool feature is that if you don’t lock your party people can join you mid way and help you out. It’s really easy to get 6 people parties started. I had some really fun games, too, one guy started giving me rare items and weapons just cause he was nice!

The weapons are cool because they are sci-guns, rifles, swords that look like lightsabers and other crap. When you have six people in a room fighting, you get a good variety of classes: like robots with huge ass guns, warriors with pistols and swords, magic users healing people, people doing special attacks with shit flying all over the screen...

The graphics, sound and atmosphere all captured what I think a new phantasy star game would look like. I was really impressed and I’m definitely going to buy the game when It’s released (hopefully the American one will work on my system!) and it will be awesome. Anyone who has an xbox360 should try it out! (Unfortunately the PC and PS2 versions’ servers aren’t connected with the xbox servers.)

Magician

20 Year Member
Since our characters from the beta will not be rolling over I've come to a conclusion on what I want to be for when the full game is released.

A want a character that does well at melee but has a hint of technic use.

Race: Beast
Class: Wartecher

This seems perfect to me. Though I won't excel as either a hunter or a force, this setup will allow me to party easily as either a hunter bull or a force support. The class of Wartecher will allow me to use technics while being a Beast will allow me to solo with ease. The only negative is the Beast's low accuracy, but when I'm using Nanoblasts I don't need to hit an enemy very many times to put them down. :D Not the best of both worlds, but damn close.

I was thinking of using a Cast for a moment but since they're the weakest at using technics I decided against it. Besides, how can using a Nanoblast and going apeshit on a boss and then using resta on my party members after the fact not be the shit?

Bring on the 25th!

Magician

20 Year Member
Also, I highly recommend you focus on acquiring an expert class, you can't use A-rank and S-rank weapons (and possibly armor, units, etc?) unless you are one of the 8 expert classes.

Here's a breakdown of what class can use which S-rank weapons.

*= exclusive class S-rank access

Fortefighter
*Swords
*Knuckles
*Spears
*Axes
*Twin Claws
*Claws

Fortegunner
*Rifles
*Shotguns
*Grenade Launchers
*Laser Cannons
Handguns

Fortecher
*Longbows
*Cards
*Rods
*Wands

Figunner
*Double Sabers
*Twin Sabers
Twin Daggers
*Sabers
Daggers

Guntecher
*Twin Handguns
Handguns
*Crossbows
*Machineguns

Wartecher
Twin Daggers
Daggers

Protranser
No S-rank items but can use level 30 skills and level 30 bullets.

This all may be something to consider when making your character.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm definitely joining the full game as Nbareh. Basically, a guntecher that fancies Dual Handgun-type weapons. That character was extremely fun, offline, even as just a ranger class. I'm unsure of what spell categories I would want to specialize as the advanced class, thus I'll probably just start as a Ranger and let the character build a while. I figure, by the time I need to make the decision, I'll know which techniques to concentrate on.

Needless to say, my character will become a pretty strong ranger, no matter what. That's my gameplan. Powerful ranger, but I'll leave the *real* Force stuff to the forces and the majority of the *melee* to the Hunters. I'll probably concentrate on being a softener of enemies from afar, a Dragon-Killer (or more like a Flying Drake dropper (play the game, you'll know what that means). It's a Powerful ranger's proper setup to be the quickest to drop things from the sky, stunning them, and letting the party have a field day with them, on the ground.

And Hunter-rescuer. High Accurracy + powerful shots = Monster interrupted attack without closing distance. You just have to have an eye, see the hunter who got a little overwhelmed, and aim for the monsters prepping to lay it on.

Human, all the way, with this one.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I'll probably wind trying for that Fortefighter class. I had the most fun with all the swords and binding photon arts to them. Haven't decided what race, yet. In the beta I was using the beast race, seemed pretty cool...

Can someone post the major differences between all the races and basic classes? Or a site that has them?

The official site has this:

What types of races and classes are available for playable characters?(1-4)
The playable races in the Phantasy Star Universe world are Humans, Newmans, Casts, and Beasts. The character classes are Hunters, Rangers, and Forces.

Hunters Focus on melee combat, and wield weapons such as swords and sabers.
Rangers Proficient at long-range combat, with weapons such as handguns and rifles.
Forces Learn many different techniques to battle monsters and aid other players.

Some races are better equipped to handle a certain class, but you are free to change at any time by visiting the GUARDIANS representative on the Fifth floor of the GUARDIANS colony. The experience you earn in an individual class will always remain, so experiment with all of them to get the most out of your Phantasy Star Universe experience!

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
You guys had some great comments, they were a good read. I really curse the fact that this came out while I was on vacation and away from my 360. Ahh well, it's only a little longer until the official release anyway.

Too bad I won't see most of you guys though, I wanted the 360 version but I have to go where the majority of my friends are going.

Magician

20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Can someone post the major differences between all the races and basic classes? Or a site that has them?

Sure. You know the basic classes well enough.

Races
Human - proficient all, master of none. This race does well at everything yet does not excel in any class. Balanced stats, no race benefits.

Newman - master of technic. This race is best suited for the force class as they have the highest TAP and MST (TAP = Technic Attack Power, MST = Mental Strength), however they fall short in the HP and ATP categories making them poor hunters. Best force stats, poorest hunter stats, no race benefits.

Beast - master of melee. This race is best suited for the hunter class as they have they highest HP and ATP. They also have top-shelf endurance, the stat determines how quickly your weapons PP for photon arts replenishes. Also, once they reach level 20 they can transform ("Nanoblast") into werewolf form for a period of time, increasing their stats (doubling, tripling?). The race suffers from low ATA (Attack Accuracy), but the massive damage they deal evens this shortcoming.

Cast - master of offense. This race, with top-shelf ATA, is best suited for ranger. But, the race comes with the best DFP (Defensive Power) and very good ATP and HP making them very good hunters as well. At level 20 casts can use SUV weapons, massive guns that deal tremendous damage. This race suffers from the lowest TAP and MST, making them a poor choice for being a force.

That's the races in a nutshell.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Magician said:
Beast - master of melee. This race is best suited for the hunter class as they have they highest HP and ATP. They also have top-shelf endurance, the stat determines how quickly your weapons PP for photon arts replenishes. Also, once they reach level 20 they can transform ("Nanoblast") into werewolf form for a period of time, increasing their stats (doubling, tripling?). The race suffers from low ATA (Attack Accuracy), but the massive damage they deal evens this shortcoming.

Oh my god. Beasts can transform! That's so cool. I'm definately playing a beast hunter and getting a whole bunch of swords and stuff. When I was playing this awesome guy just gave me about 5 swords, the double sword action felt VERY Star Wars.

I only got to play the game for about 10 hours on the beta, and I'm SO hooked. I can't stop thinking about how cool it will be to log on with a few beers next to my TV and hang out on PSU! (I just hope a lot of neo-geo folks get the xbox version!) The 24th is going to be awesome... I think I have work the next day... It's going to be a rough day!

edit- Just clicked that youtube "nanoblast" link. OH MY GOD.

Magician

20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Oh my god. Beasts can transform! That's so cool. I'm definately playing a beast hunter and getting a whole bunch of swords and stuff. When I was playing this awesome guy just gave me about 5 swords, the double sword action felt VERY Star Wars.

I only got to play the game for about 10 hours on the beta, and I'm SO hooked. I can't stop thinking about how cool it will be to log on with a few beers next to my TV and hang out on PSU! (I just hope a lot of neo-geo folks get the xbox version!) The 24th is going to be awesome... I think I have work the next day... It's going to be a rough day!

edit- Just clicked that youtube "nanoblast" link. OH MY GOD.

Yeah, before Live went down last night I was able to start a new character last night, a beast hunter. Yup, there's no doubt in my mind what I'll be, a Beast Wartecher. The class will boost the beast's below average TAP and MST, while his natural character levels will continue to increase his hunter stats. Though my character won't be as strong a hunter as other beast users, I want to be able to use technics.

Anyway, Kirk and I were able to party up for a few hours. Good times, until the servers went down just as we were taking on the boss on Narum. We would've had him too if it weren't for those damn...dirty...servers. "Damn you! Damn you...all...to hell!" Hehe, oh this is gonna be the shiz nizzle on the 25th. RB, you've got to party up with Kirk and I.

Kirk, the next time we meet up I'll have a keyboard in hand for a little better communication. :D

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Magician said:
Yeah, before Live went down last night I was able to start a new character last night, a beast hunter. Yup, there's no doubt in my mind what I'll be, a Beast Wartecher. The class will boost the beast's below average TAP and MST, while his natural character levels will continue to increase his hunter stats. Though my character won't be as strong a hunter as other beast users, I want to be able to use technics.

Anyway, Kirk and I were able to party up for a few hours. Good times, until the servers went down just as we were taking on the boss on Narum. We would've had him too if it weren't for those damn...dirty...servers. "Damn you! Damn you...all...to hell!" Hehe, oh this is gonna be the shiz nizzle on the 25th. RB, you've got to party up with Kirk and I.

Kirk, the next time we meet up I'll have a keyboard in hand for a little better communication. :D

Oh hell yeah dude! I'm REALLY looking forward to partying up.

I love how you can keep your party open when you adventure. I kept getting hella people trying to join, and I just weeded out the assholes and in a few minutes I had the most bad ass group of 6 people together. One was a healer and two were robots with awesome guns, it was amazing. We took down everything.

OH this is going to be a long wait.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
So I got a Beast Male Hunter up to Level 12 and decided to make a Male Cast Ranger. I am having alot more fun with the Cast. That was my type on PSO anyway. I heard the boss Dragon was unlocked in the beta last night but I have no idea where he is at.

Magician

20 Year Member
MilkManX said:
So I got a Beast Male Hunter up to Level 12 and decided to make a Male Cast Ranger. I am having alot more fun with the Cast. That was my type on PSO anyway. I heard the boss Dragon was unlocked in the beta last night but I have no idea where he is at.

Parum, 2nd mission, Open Fields.

Kirk and I were fighting him with our level 9 characters for well over 10 minutes before the server kicked us.

Last edited: