Unibios CRC Check. Purpose?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
What exactly is this function? Is it some way of verifying a cart's legitimacy?

I got a KoF 99 MVS cart today and for the first line (ROM region) is says OK. But for ROM bay 0 through 3 it says Custom... What's the deal?

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
It checks the ROMs P of the game, if all the regions have the crc32 expected, that means Ur game 's a legit one or a well known bootleg (about program ROMs "P1, P2...") as it should be (not corrupt).

But if Ur game 's not added to the Unibios database, it won't be recognized, even if it's a legit one. But AFAIK there're only a few revisions of legit games which 're not added yet.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mutation said:
It checks the ROMs P of the game, if all the regions have the crc32 expected, that means Ur game 's a legit one or a well known bootleg (about program ROMs "P1, P2...") as it should be (not corrupt).
Well-known bootlegs? Are those in the database? I thought it was just because the Unibios can't always tell the difference. Some bootlegs simply appear legitimate, as far as the CRC check is concerned. Some bootlegs check out, but a passed check doesn't mean they're real.

The CRC check is useful because if it doesn't pass, then you have a good hint that the cart may be a bootleg. Also, if the game is damaged because a rom region isn't working right, it might show up in the check. It's a good way of helping to verify that the cart is legit and in working order.

Last edited:

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
If U read the logs with each Unibios release, U can notice the boots that Raz adds to the Unibios DB.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That sucks. Boots shouldn't be in there.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I see. Thank you.