I'm a newbie...anyone want to help me out?

D

DarkKnight

Hello all...i'm a new neo-geo convert. i got started in 8th grade, playing Samurai Shodown2 at the convenience store instead of going to class. Now that i'm older and have some money, I lucked into getting a big red 4-slot on ebay that a guy had jsut around the corner from me (I live in toronto). I managed to cram it in a minivvan and get it home, and I have been enjoying it for the last couple weeks. Here is a picture of my new baby.

my.php

It's got 4 games right now, Sam. Sho. 1+2, Metal Slug 1, and bust a move 1.

There are, unfortunately, a few small issue with it that I was hoping the experts here might help my resolve...any assistance is appreciated.

The first issue involves a high-pitched whine. I would usually associate this with the screen and the capacitors that are involved, but what is strange is that of the 4 slots, only slots 2 and 4 make the sound. Slots 1 and 3 have no problem. Any idea what the issue is here and a how to fix it?

The second issue involves the volume. While the slider does work, it seems that the top-end volume is often well below where it should be. Other times, potentially after i leave it running for a while, the sound seems loud enough. Any thoughts here?

Finally, I have no idea how to lter the difficulty levels of the games. They say Level-4 on most of them, and I'm fairly sure this is a changeable function, but I dont know how. I'm also not sure if there is some sort of BIOS or something on these cabinets that I can access.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, all. I'm glad to be here. Also, I'd be glad for any game recommendations...i'm gonna need some more carts to fill the time.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
DarkKnight said:
Finally, I have no idea how to lter the difficulty levels of the games. They say Level-4 on most of them, and I'm fairly sure this is a changeable function, but I dont know how. I'm also not sure if there is some sort of BIOS or something on these cabinets that I can access.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, all. I'm glad to be here. Also, I'd be glad for any game recommendations...i'm gonna need some more carts to fill the time.
First off, grats on the cab find!

Your cabinet should have a test button in it somewhere. Press it to get to the BIOS setup for setting the softdips. From there's it's pretty straightforward stuff.

You may want to download the manual for your board. You can find that here.

Something else you may be interested in is the Universe Bios. It allows even more fine-tuning of game settings and cheats.

As for games, you have a pretty good start already. If you like shooters, I highly recommend Blazing Star, which is cheap and loads of fun. League Bowling and Neo Turfmasters are both good and then, of course, all the fighters you could ever want.

Have a dig through Yaton's site. His carts are sometimes very dirty but as long as you steer clear of the "specials," they're legit and he's an honest seller.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I cant help out but welcome to the boards

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Try posting any technical questions in Tech Support. It's amazing how much some poeple know on here.

loztheguru

n00b
Dang

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but im another newbie who needs help. For some reason, i cant post new topics in any of the forums. Is there a reason for this, or anyone I can contact to resolve it? Any help you guys have would be great, these seem like good boards!

shess

I don't read too much into what happens on the for
You could check out the slots on the motherboard and see how dirty they are. Go here to see how to clean them... www.hardmvs.com .

Scott

loztheguru said:
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but im another newbie who needs help. For some reason, i cant post new topics in any of the forums. Is there a reason for this, or anyone I can contact to resolve it? Any help you guys have would be great, these seem like good boards!

Hey been having the same problem, but it seems not anymore. Just wait I guess.