KoF 98 possible bootleg

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I just got this from this guy on ebay. Guess I should have steered clear. The description said that "It works perfectly, but is sold as is". Here are some pics.

149_0774.jpg

149_0775.jpg

The thing is, it doesn't really work. When I put it in, it does the slot dance. Then, when it gets to this, the graphics are all garbled and messed up. Looks like there is some pretty bad oxidization. You can kinda see it in the pics. Any suggestions? Help is much appreciated.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My KOF 98 looks exactly like that, except yours is the other revision with the cursing taken out of the intro (hence the EPROM). And mine is 100% legit.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Obviously a totally legit cart (numbered roms etc).

It might have got fried sometime :-( It can happen.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I gave it a thorough cleaning. Used steel wool on it even. It was messed up before the guy sent it. Ugh... What a joke. I'm not mad about losing my money... I just really wanted to play KoF 98 again... :( Oh, I forgot to mention that he shipped it in a priority envelope with no padding or anything.

What should I do now? Can fried carts be fixed? It was sold as is, so I guess I'm outta luck with that.

Ajax

15 Year Member
About $29 shipped.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's cursing in the KOF 98 intro? Where?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
There's cursing in the KOF 98 intro? Where?
It's in the staticy voice at the beginning. A long time ago in #neo-geo, Jigen told me what it was. Something to the effect of "Play that shit like you got your motherfucking paycheck" blah blah blah. Some KOF98's have it and some don't.