What has happened to the NGPC

Kjcos_999

Overtop Pathfinder
Amidst all the DS and PSP debate / discussion / gameplay, I have found myself wondering why does nobody comment on the reason this forum is here?

At the moment I personally have no games for my DS that I can now be bothered to play (including Castlevania, Wario Ware, SMB, etc) they have all been played to death and I found myself (due to the battery dying and having to travel) digging out one of my NGPC's.

I have to admit I was amazed at how much fun I could still have, and after 4 hours of playing Puzzle Link 2 (of all the titles I could have played), I wondered, why does nobody else try this?

The reason for this post is to try and get all you other members to pick the trusty NGPC back up and give it a whirl, ok the DS is fantastic and fun when there is something worth playing (notice the lack of comments about the PSP) but it still doesn't have the replay value that made the NGPC so great.

Please make our trsuty NGPC's top of the forums again!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Yes, I miss the NGPC talk too. It's the just inevitable, as it died a long time ago. I'm more of a collector for it, than a gamer, at the moment. But I still will bust it out and play for hours on end from time to time.

I actually have a couple NGPC games in the mail. I can't wait to try out Ghost Photo Studio, even if I can't read Japanese.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I still prefer a lot of the NGPC games to anything on a "modern" handheld ... it's just that I can't see the damn screen. If a front light kit that doesn't cover any of the screen would ever come out, I'd play it a lot more.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Murray said:
I still prefer a lot of the NGPC games to anything on a "modern" handheld ... it's just that I can't see the damn screen. If a front light kit that doesn't cover any of the screen would ever come out, I'd play it a lot more.

I'm still working on it dude.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Xian Xi said:
I'm still working on it dude.
Awesome. I still have a pile of money with your name on it just as soon as you get it ready. :D

RyuKenAkuma

Rugal's Thug
I still play Rockman Battle & Fighters every once in a while that I bought from bokmeow. :buttrock:

jedipie

Quiz Detective
Pocket

The Neo Pocket was the last proper handheld I bought, tho am tempted by Nintendo's genius with Brain Training etc.

Oh how I have fond memories of The Pocket, playing Puzzle Link and all the other cool games.

SNK rules!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Im probably one of the biggest NGPC gamers on this site still.

collect.jpg

Thats an old picture aswell. I have about 45 titles for it in total now.

2 copies of Magical drop 3 which is still one of the best games on the system.

I do however lack a Evolution and a cool boarders. Dont know if I want the evolution though for the price it commands.

Last edited:

drombat

Galford's Armourer
I'm still trying hard to unlock the minigames in Ganbare neo poke kun. Such an awesome game. Oh, and I play all the other games I have for it regularly. Like every day. I'm getting good at Last Blade.

I would like to link up with someone though. That's one thing I haven't been able to do yet. Owners of NGPCs up here are scarce at best.

Awesome little piece of hardware.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
drombat said:
I would like to link up with someone though. That's one thing I haven't been able to do yet. Owners of NGPCs up here are scarce at best.
I gave up on ever finding anyone with another NGPC so I just bought another one, a link cable and extras of every game I had. Solved that problem real quick. :)

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
I think I was the only one in Colorado to buy the Neo Geo Pocket. At least I have plenty to play link up games. I bought one for my self and 3 others for my 2 bros and my sister when it first came out. I am currently playing both versions of Cardfighters Clash so I can have all the cards on one cart.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I got one back in the day. Me and two other kids I knew had them. This certain copy of Cardfighters Clash (Capcom Version) was like the town bicycle between us. I ended up with it though. :lolz: Quality games for that thing. I only have like 5 or 6 games for it. But I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Neo Turfmasters... :drool:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The games I play regularly is MoTm and Picture Puzzle which to me is a fun and challenging game.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I bought one of the multi game packs from Playasia.

Played a bit of puzzle link, but then I got a DS. I've neglected the NGPC since.

Kjcos_999

Overtop Pathfinder
Xian Xi,
If you get the light kit sorted out I think you will attract a whole new set of NGPC fans. I know that at least two of my consoles will be converted as soon as it is possible (any more is just getting lavish and my g/f will complain).

I am also a major fan of Picture Puzzle, but once you have completed all the puzzles the replay value does plummet. It should have had a design your own puzzle type of feature to keep it interesting.

Vectorman,
I was more a collector recently until I dug out one of my NGPC's and I have now reminded an old friend of mine (he's also on these boards) of the fun and he has now started back on the old Cardfighters Clash. It may be in anticipation of the DS version but at least the interest is back.

The NGPC was too far ahead of its time in my opinion.

One thought though for the techies-
SNK did the wireless thing 6 years ago, how hard would it be to convert the wireless signal and send it via the web, akin to a DS sort of game system?

It's probably not an easy thing to do but is it possible?

Anyway, thanks for the replys and at least I now know its not a redundant system in the worlds eyes.

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
I just don't come here as much now it is basically not an NGPC forum. I can get chatter about the other handhelds anywhere. This used to be the only decent NGPC forum, and now there are none.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
drombat said:
Sell me one?

Sorry man. Ive already lost one and got another as a back up because of the amount of play it got.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I have 5 ngpcs, tons of games (mostly loose) + copies of all 2 player games (except for battle de paradice, only one copy :crying: ) + 2 link cables. I force my assistant at work to play against me during our lunch break everyday. When I'm out, I always have a pocket with me -- sure as hell beats waiting in line looking at the back of the person in front of you.

I love mine, wouldn't trade them for very much...games are simple, fun, and quick.

klargon

n00b
There seems to be less interest of late on ebay, too. I've sold a few UK games and got a lot less than they have gone for in the past. Perhaps people really aren't that bothered about the NGPC now. It's getting to a point in time where people have no idea what one is.

I've got 3 NGPC's although I sold both of my Slimlines (one by mistake - don't ask!). I've got at least 20 clamshelled UK games and a few others. I haven't really tried many of the JAP only games though, mainly through fear of the language barrier. Are there any JAP games I should get? I was always tempted by Cool Cool Jam because I like the DC equivalent, but I wasn't sure if it would translate well.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Cool cool jam is not bad with a walkthrough or faq. Any of your pachi slot games can be figured out. Ogre battle is doable with a walkthrough (good luck finding one) but isn't very much fun. Most of the jap games are dual language (english/jap, but not all).

Radiac

Mr. Big's Thug
Murray said:
I gave up on ever finding anyone with another NGPC so I just bought another one, a link cable and extras of every game I had. Solved that problem real quick. :)

I'm glad I am not the only person to do this. :)

I consider the NGPC the best handheld to date for Cardfighters Clash alone.

boogiepop

Quiz Detective
I picked up a ngpc a few months ago and I have to admit I haven't regretted the purchase for even a second. It's a thing of beauty just for the battery life alone. I laughed at the 40 hour claim... until I saw it for myself. And the game library, while small, has an unbelievable good to bad game ratio. As for the screen, I personally find it to be the perfect compromise between visibility and battery life. It's sad that nobody seems to even know of it's existance (myself included until about a year ago... shame on me!)

My personal faves are Card Clash, Sonic, and Turf Masters.

TheBigJ

n00b
I have to admit....Im new to all this neo-geo stuff....

But recently bought a NGP and a NGPC and cant put them down!!!
Have tried the wonderswan color to, but the fact its all in Japanese is a bit of a downer

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I still prefer the NGPC over any other handheld. I play my NGPC the most out of all of them.

Does Rockman play in English?