Steve's Obscure Super Famicom Impressions Thread

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Grand "SLAM"

BAKUTO! DOCHERS

Bomberman, meet Dodgeball. Dodgeball, Bomberman. You have a choice of 8 animals to select from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. There's a 1P mode and a battle mode where up to 4 human players can duke it out. You throw a ball with limited range, and along the way there are bumpers that when bounced off of, redirects your ball, some may even deflect. You have 3 hits to make do with, and by destroying blocks power up's (or down's) can be unveiled.

This game reminds me heavily of Hansha de Spark! (Sega Saturn)

There are 5 different worlds to pick as your battle ground, with each world consisting of 4 different stages, making a total of 20 maps. Even in the battle mode, there are baddies on the playing field

Dochers3.png
Dochers2.png

Dochers-1.png
Dochers4.png

I'm sad to say this one just didn't stack up. It feels a bit clunky and some times, battles can end in 20 seconds, even though everyone needs THREE hits to die. It's not a horrible game, but it could have used some fine tuning. Something's just missing with the game(play). I play it and leave feeling "That's it?"

An acquired taste.

-------

I've always enjoyed a quality 2D baseball game. Had a blast with Bad News Baseball, Basewars, the Baseball Star games and of course, the best one ever -- the original Ken Griffey Jr. on Super Nintendo. With the Fall Classic approaching us in about 24 hours, let's check in with Culture Brain's 1997 title PRO YAKYUU STAR

Although there are only 12 teams and 6 stadiums, it doesn't matter because it does well where many fail: the gameplay. Unlike far too many baseball games, outfielders don't move like turtles. Throws from the outfield don't skip a ridiculous 4 times to home plate. You can swipe bags with the speedier players. Home runs don't happen 5 times in one game. etc.

It's similar in looks to Konami's Jikkyou series, but plays so much better. Baseball fans be sure to check this out.

ProYakyuuStar.png
ProYakyuuStar2.png

----

Growing up in the late 80s, a kid only needed two things really: Nintendo and Hulk Hogan. I still remember how my uncle, before father time got the best of him, would watch Saturday Night's Main Event with me and my brother. How he took us to the mall to get autographs from visiting WWF superstars.

Like baseball, I've always got a kick out of a quality wrestling game. Sure Fire Pro games exist on SNES, but forget that the Saturn/PSX versions were the best. Well, there were two other series on Super Famicom that doesn't get the hype Fire Pro does... and one at least, is very very good.

ZEN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING (July '93) is an excellent wrestling game. In '94 Natsume released a similar version in the States and called it Natsume Championship Wrestling. My brother and I loved NCW; we played the tag team mode to death for a couple years.

The grapple system relies on timing, not speed. You have weak, medium and power attacks during grapple. The energy bar is maybe my favorite thing about these games. (The "whiplash rope" trick is pretty damn cool too...)

Your energy bar starts out BLUE.

The bar decreases as damage is taken, revealing these colors in sequence:

GREEN
YELLOW
RED
DARK RED
BLACK

Like Capcom's stellar 2D fighter Vampire Savior health is recoverable. In a tag match when you're not in you recover. In a singles match, when you take a move, you lose the proper amount of health, but it immediately recovers at a decent pace. However, the more damage you take, the slower your energy heals. Ace concept.

PatriotBABA.png
PatriotBABA2.png

Japanese wrestling legend Giant BABA in the house. But he's no match for the younger and quicker Patriot

And of course I can't dismiss the ability to knock the opponent's tag team partner off the apron with a well-placed clothesline. If the chap attempts a tag, you can also clobber him silly. Good good stuff

clothesline.png
clothesline2.png

There's just too many cool little things about the gameplay that make this so good. I could go on and on. SOLID game

ZEN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING DASH (Dec '93) was released only five months after the 1st one. So you know it's not a "full-blown" sequel. Again you have 16 wrestlers to pick from, some minor roster changes... so what's new? Game focuses more on tag team play, though the 1st had tag team modes as well. The difference here? Tag team moves

doubleboot.png

that'll re-arrange his furniture

doubleDDT.png

C.O.D -- Concussion on Delivery

OK. Tag team combo moves. BIG DEAL! Tell me about it. That's why, to save Dash from being simply a hack cash-in, they included...

The Fatal 4-Way Battle Royale!

ZenBattleRoyal.png

This mode is a wild free-for-all and provides great multiplayer action. There are no energy bars cluttering the screen, and the only way to win is via pinfall or submission. Over-the-top-rope doesn't matter here -- hell take the battle outside if you wish!

outsideZenBR.png

These games are really great wrestling titles. Fire Pro gets all the hoop-la and deservedly so, but don't overlook these gems.

MOVING ON TO OUR NEXT WRESTLING SERIES NOW....

SHIN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING: CHOUSENSHI IN TOKYO DOME is the first of Varie's SFC wrestling trilogy. It features impressive big sprites and has famous wrestlers like LYGER and big Van VADER (10 in all). The grapple system also relies on timing. I bought this in hopes it would be a slick playing game much like the Natsume/Zen series. Unfortunately I think Varie spent too much time on graphics, because the frame rate for this 1993 brawler is a huge letdown. It's not as smooth as it should have been.

Vader1.png

vader2.png

Vader3.png

late great Gorilla Monsoon: "It's reasons like this I'm glad I'm retired"

Never fear SHIN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING '94: BATTLEFIELD IN TOKYO DOME is here. Would it improve on the original which failed to meet its potential? The sprites have been downsized and as a result the frame rate is better. The roster doubled from 10 to 20 (including the Legion of Doom and a very young Chris Benoit) but it still doesn't come together. Nice effort however.

LODHawk.png
HawkvsAnimal.png

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan: Boy, I wish I could do that to my partner...
Gorilla Monsoon: Enough already
Bobby Heenan: I got carried away
Gorilla Monsoon: I wish you would

SHIN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING KOUNIN '95: TOKYO DOME BATTLE 7 completes the trilogy. Some roster changes were made though 20 remains the count. Say good-bye to the Great Muta and hello to the Great Sasuke. The frame rate is the best of the 3 and the graphics were not sacrificed either. Weapons are introduced. But what really MAKES this game is the new FATAL FOUR WAY BATTLE ROYALE mode. It's good fun and reminiscent of the cult arcade multiplayer WWF WrestleFest and Capcom's SATURAY NIGHT SLAM MASTERS

Let me hand it over now to my two all-time favorite commentators from the late 80s/early 90s: the late great Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan... they'll call the action

Panel-of-experts.jpg

L to R: Roddy Piper, Gorilla, Vince McMahon, Heenan and the late great Curt Hennig AKA Mr. Perfect

Tonight's main event is a FATAL FOUR-WAY!

*music plays*

Introducing... The Great Sasuke! Scott Steiner! (they come out at the same time to save money on pyro you know)
Scott-Sasuke.png

Their opponents... Jushin "Thunder" Lyger! Rick Steiner!
Lyger-Rick.png

Bobby: You know Monsoon, the Steiner's are brothers
Gorilla: Give me a break
Bobby: I hate all four of these guys. I hope they all cripple each other
Gorilla: Will you stop! How do you sleep at night?
Bobby: Oh, on my side, usually...
Gorilla: [ignoring the Brain] Ladies and gentlemen history will be made here tonight. Capacity crowd, jammed packed to the rafters, the electricity is so thick you can cut it with a knife
Bobby: I have to give the edge here to Lyger, much as I can't stand his guts Monsoon. He's the quickest of them all
Gorilla: Rick Steiner might be at a distinct disadvantage here because he's the most lethargic of the four
Bobby: And he's slow too

Battle1.png

Gorilla: WHAT A PEARL HARBOR JOB!
Bobby: I told you Monsoon! Sasuke was my guy all along!
Gorilla: Will you be serious? The guys with the white coat and the net are going to be looking for you
Bobby: I rather not see your family again

Battle2.png

Gorilla: The irresistible force is meeting the immovable object
Bobby: So much for that theory

Battle3.png

Gorilla: Sasuke is really stretching out those lateral colateral ligaments in the knee
Bobby: IN ENGLISH PLEASE!

Battle4.png

Gorilla: Ouch! That's excedrin headache number 2,182. Makes me glad I retired
Bobby: [Mocking Gorilla] There's one to the cervial dervial part of the neck!

Battle5.png

Gorilla: Sasuke just pinned and eliminated Rick Steiner! We now have a triple threat match! Pandemonium has broken out!
Bobby: I told you Monsoon, he was just too slow for this type of match
Gorilla: [Mockingly] And lethargic too, right?
Bobby: Yeah, that too

Battle6.png

Gorilla: Good night nurse!
Bobby: Not if she spent it with you!
Gorilla: Grow up, Brain
Bobby: Hey Monsoon, you know why the Great Sasuke wears a mask?
Gorilla: No, why?
Bobby: Have you looked in the mirror lately?
Gorilla: Will you please!

Battle7.png

Gorilla: Sasuke has taken over this match! The arena is deafening!
Bobby: Get that Benjamin ready for me Monsoon!
Gorilla: Will you stop! What type of broadcast journalist are you?
Bobby: The type that takes cash only!

Battle8.png

You can see this match in its entirety and who comes out victorious a bit below. Tokyo Battle Dome 7 isn't a shabby wrestling title. It's not as good as the Zen games, but TDB 7's Battle Royale mode is a bit more chaotic than Dash's, it definitely gets the edge there in my opinion. I say if you're a wrestling fan, set your sights on TDB 7 and Zen Dash; especially the latter. They're the best in their respective series, rendering the other games a bit useless unless you're a collector or uber diehard wrestling fan who must see the 'evolution' of these series. If I had known this earlier, I wouldn't have bought them all. But now, hey might as well keep 'em all =p

The Zen games are far more common. The first Varie one is easy to find as well. '94 and '95 I believe are somewhat hard to find. '94 is not worth the effort. '95... yeah it's worth hunting down just for the crazy 4 player battle royale.

SFC-wrestling-games.jpg

Top L to R: Zen, Zen Dash, Natsume Championship Wrestling
Bottom L to R: Shin Nippon 1, SN 2, SN 3

Bakuto! Dochers
Pro Yakyuu Star
Zen Nippon (BABA vs. Patriot)
Shin Nippon 1 Vader crushes Lyger
Shin Nippon FATAL FOUR WAY

Steve

The Wonder Years,
RANMA-GICAL

I remember Ranma ½ Hard Battle on SNES fondly. It was a big guilty pleasure. Earlier this year I learned a sequel was released in Japan only.

Ranma1.png

RANMA ½: CHOUGI RANBU HEN is pretty cool. The crazy combo video is a riot. It was because of this video that I found out about the game. I'll let the video do the talking!

Ranma2.png

------

RANMA ½: OUGI JAANKEN is not your average run-of-the-mill puzzler. Featuring a rock paper scissor (RPS) theme, you can pick from six Ranma characters; each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

RanmaPuzzle1.png

3 pieces, aligned horizontally, descend (you can only switch them horizontally) and to dispense with a piece, you must place its proper destroyer on top. For example, if you have five scissor pieces stacked on top of each other, a rock will dispose of them one by one, dropping each time. The more pieces you clear in one move, the more debris you send over (which come in the form of colored blocks)

RPuzzleTutorial.png

Side to side connection has no effect by the way.

In addition to RPS pieces dropping, you get the garbage ones mixed in as well. They obviously work differently from RPS. You rid of these garbage blocks by clearing adjacent RPS pieces, or lining them in a straight line of the same color.

By pressing "Y" you'll send down the water bucket. This not only takes out whatever piece and its army you decide to drop it on -- but it also "curses" your opponent, making their attacks not as strong as status quo during this temporary state. Each player starts with 1 to use at their own discretion, and may gain another by filling the bar with cleared pieces. Multiple can be stored.

RanmaPuzzle2.png

wash bucket on top of purple block

The game takes some getting used to -- I came in expecting 2 pieces to fall at a time, a la Puzzle Fighter. The horizontal restriction of the pieces and vertical restriction of the elimination system perplexed me initially, but the more I play it the more I like it. Fun little puzzler. Don't overlook it. The chains you can create are astonishing!

RPuzzleTutorial2.png

you're looking at a 15-hit chain, minimum

Shoot... I never seen Ranma, read Ranma, or cared for Ranma. Yet I can't help but love these silly games. OUGI has colorful graphics that's easy-going on the eyes as a bonus. Good stuff all-around

RanmaPuzzle3.png

------

MAGICAL TARURUUTO-KUN

This early 1992 platformer is simple. For me at least, that's part of the charm. Sporting bright cheerful graphics, you control a little dude who loves to gobble up blocks. When he isn't doing that he uses his long tongue to bat away enemies.

MTK1.png

the pipes remind me of another platformer, hmm

MTK2.png

I can't shake this deja vu feeling...

The main screen is a map. Along the way you play mini games such as a card game SPEED as we old kids used to call it.

MTKmap.png

have we met before?

This game definitely has the SNES look/style down pat
MTK3.png

MTK4.png

he doesn't actually eat them, don't worry

Plus... you can't beat "The Three C's"

Cheap
Common
Competent

All which apply to this delightfully basic platformer

MTK5.png

----

MAGICAL POP'N was one of three SFC games I credit for really intriguing me to start importing. (Godzilla Dai Kessen I knew for years so I don't count it) The other two were DoReMi Fantasy and Majyuuou. They are actually quite well known in SFC circles, especially Majyuuou and Magical Pop'n. I've heard the immense praise for Magical Pop'n, and was very thrilled the day the game arrived in the mail.

It's a platformer with traits that are more or less reminiscent of timeless classics such as Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, Megaman etc. You attack with a sword but have subweapons, each requiring a certain amount of stars (your 1st one eats up two)

Here's a look at the game's first two levels...

Sensing something foul in Denmark, your quest begins one dark rainy night atop a roof
MPopn2.png

A stroke of lightning reveals in the distance endless and ominous-looking hills
MPopn1.png

You fall through a chimney where danger aplenty still lurks
MPopn3.png

A healthy boost sends you sky high to the next floor
MPopn5.png

As you navigate the mansion you uncover creepy dungeons
MPopn4.png

Your 1st mid-boss encounter comes with this occult heathen
MPopinboss1.png

I bet he has no problems moving *rimshot* *crickets*

Eventually you head back up, with this dirty little goblin trying to impede your expedition
MPopin7.png

Prepare for battle with level 1's end guardian
MPopinboss2.png

Level 2's setting is the woods... on the surface at least... literally
MPopin8.png

Not before long our heroine must enter a dank cave filled with critters of all shapes and sizes
MPopin11.png

Where have I seen those before...

You must cross this to meet the mid-boss of the cave and claim your next sub-weapon
MPopin9.png

It's not quite as tricky as it may appear
MPopin10.png

Here she is. First blow her limbs off, then be careful as she spazzes like a crackhead
plantboss1.png

plantboss2.png

plantboss3.png

Now you may claim your Bionic Commando-like extension grappler
ItsZelda.png

NOW WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS BEFORE?!?!

Swing with the greatest of ease
MPswinging.png

it has unlimited use, but is used strictly for swinging purposes

Magical Pop'n has six stages and no password/save feature. Therefore you must beat it in one sitting. It gets pretty damn tough later on. I know it may sound weird but the underground section reminds me slightly of the recent horror movie THE DESCENT. I kept expecting to find a pile of bones. But seriously, it does have some strange creatures underground...

Honestly, I couldn't help but come in expecting a masterpiece gem... a 9 plus out of 10 video game. I was a little disappointed but don't get me wrong, it's a fine game. I know those who absolutely LOVE it. Some prefer it over DoReMi. Here's my personal ranking of "the big three"

1. DoReMi Fantasy
2. Magical Pop'n
3. Majyuuou

For me DoReMi was just... almost as good (and charming) as a platformer can get. Magical Pop'n has some nifty things working in its favor, and I like it. But in my book, it's not in DoReMi's class. Since these three games for me are "linked together" for eternity, I can't help but compare them just a little bit.

Having said that, all serious SNES owners should have Magical Pop'n in their collection. It's slightly hard to find from what I understand but doesn't fetch as high a figure as DoReMi

BEST COMBO VID EVER
Ranma Puzzle How-To-Play
Ranma Puzzle sample
Magical Taruruuto Kun 1-1
Magical Pop'n gameplay

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Steve said:
I remember Ranma ½ Hard Battle on SNES fondly. It was a big guilty pleasure. Earlier this year I learned a sequel was released in Japan only.

Ranma1.png

RANMA ½: CHOUGI RANBU HEN is pretty cool. The crazy combo video is a riot. It was because of this video that I found out about the game. I'll let the video do the talking!

Ranma2.png

You didn't know that for all these years? Toho was supposed to bring that to the USA under the name "Ranma 1/2: Anything Goes Martial Arts" but canceled it. There were even a few magazine ads in various 1994 issues of EGM.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
interesting thread, just out of curiousity, are any of these 'obscure' games rare/valuable? or are they mostly common/easy to pick up?

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:
interesting thread, just out of curiousity, are any of these 'obscure' games rare/valuable? or are they mostly common/easy to pick up?

Stuff like Magical Pop'n can get quite pricey, but most of the games mentioned can be had quite cheaply.

And still no Nangoku Syonen Papuwa Kun review :(

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I was waiting for that magical popn review hehe...sadly, I still haven't had the chance to get it mint and complete...do have doremi though.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
MICKEY-MANIA

Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse was one of the SNES titles that received much fanfare for its smooth gameplay, graphics and polished feel during the system's infancy. It was yet another Capcom smash. In '94 Capcom released the sequel The Great Circus Mystery which added a 2-player mode with Minnie. The next year Japan gamers were graced by the last in the trilogy: MICKEY & DONALD: MAGICAL ADVENTURE 3

Today we examine the game that sadly never was in the US (though Capcom ported the trilogy to GBA in 2005)

If you liked the first two you'll like this too. You still get suits with different abilities as you advance through the game, it still employs the "snatch-a-block-out-of-the-air-and-toss-it-at-the-baddie" system, and it's still all quite easy. A password system is included to make your life even easier. Animation, as always, is top-notch.

You won't find anything new here, but perhaps, that's just as well.

The game opens up with Mickey visiting Donald. Huey, Duey and Luey, being bored, decided to venture upstairs to the attic. They find an ancient book and, well, curiosity killed the cat, er, duck? (Ed. What am I paying you again?)

MD3intro.png

Lights emanating from book: usually a bad thing

MD3intro2.png

Oh shoot, I reckon that not be too good a thing either

And so you're off with the choice of Mickey or Donald in the 1P game, or 2P game if you can conjure a friend to play along. Mickey and Donald have different suits which is a plus. There are 7 stages, with multiple levels in each. Here's a quick peek

Stage 1

MD3level1.png

MD3turkey.png

1st mid-boss

MD3boss1.png

1st boss

Stage 2

MD3level2.png

Donald displays the power of this particular garment

MD3toobig.png

the poor chap hasn't grown into it quite yet

Stage 3

MD3bonesboss.png

Mid-boss is "dying" to meet you (Ed. Oh dear)

Stage 4

MD3level4.png

This costume packs a mean wallop!

Stage 5

MD3level5.png

The wavy blocks here are a nice touch. Those bubbles act as breathing points

Stage 6

MD3level6.png

MD3bigfoot.png

Sheesh, talk about getting cold feet

MD3malfunction.png

And you wonder why he carries such a big hammer...

Stage 7

MD3level7.png

This is just the opening, and already things are heating up...

CLOSING THOUGHTS

It's Mickey. It's Capcom. It's Mickey BY Capcom. It's good.

MD3argue.png

Donald: 1, 2, 3!

----

Sadly I missed out on going to DisneyLand as a youth. I didn't get to experience the "Happiest Place on Earth" (haha, sure, tell that to the Pink Poodle..) until my Senior year in high school where we celebrated our SENIOR GRAD NIGHT. We had the park closed off to the Class of 2001 from Midnight to 6 AM -- it was ours to run... and ours to rule. *maniacal laughter*

My friends and I immediately hitched on the first ride we could... the pirate water thing... I still recall going under the cave for the 1st time, with that WHOOSH sound echoing throughout the cool crisp night air as darkness devoured us. Awesome

I remember the park being lit up... the dance room bumping with carefree to-be-high-school graduates.. the free food... all the rides you could go on. By 4:30 AM you could see numerous couples passed out on the benches. But not us... no, we were wide awake and determined to squeeze the park for all it was worth.

This next game definitely brings back memories of that night.

MICKEY NO TOKYO DISNEYLAND DAIBOUKEN

Not by Capcom, but TOMY. Despite less-than-stellar control which makes the game harder in spots than it should be... this is a very nice platformer. And indeed, a pleasant surprise as I had never heard of it before, yet found in it a very enjoyable game featuring a timeless household icon.

Mickey must rescue his friends, entrapped by the evil Pete, and to do so he must conquer each section of the park. He faces Pete at the end of the worlds, and in between there's all manner of traps and minions to thwart your progress.

Mickey attacks with water balloons. Yes, water balloons. The standard kind is flicked horizontally and may be charged to be of a bigger variety. The other kind is heaved upward, or, if held down will send Mickey in the air. A decreasing meter shows you how long til the balloon pops.

MTokyoflyup.png

While in mid-air you may press forward and Mickey will be shot in said direction. In certain areas this is a must. You can even do a diagonal downward/upward dive.

MTokyoflyacross.png

Another nifty ability of Mickey's... hold Y and kneel down. Mickey will set a water balloon on the ground which he can then jump on to really catch some air, or sometimes this method must be used to create a weight.

MTokyowaterdown1.png

MTokyowaterdown2.png

Or it could be used to pick off enemies below! Ace!

MTokyolevel3.png

The game has a total of 18 levels, 6 sections of the park with 3 levels each. Like Mickey & Donald 3 passwords are given to make life easier. Here's a quick look at the 6 stages

Stage 1

MTokyolevel1.png

MTokyoduck.png

surfs up dude

MTokyotreasurecove.png

This next part is absolutely gorgeous. But before you can enjoy it for too long the treasure chests (all but one) come alive

MTokyooooh.png

oooh

MTokyofire1.png

mandatory platforming fire section

MTokyofire2.png

the infamous dripping part

MTokyonofeed.png

don't feed the pigeons -- oy

MTokyofeedingfrenzy.png

This bastard tosses food in the water to attract the biting fish

MTokyobreathe.png

when underwater you'll need to come up to breathe, here's a nice little section meant just for that

MTokyostars.png

the Japanese sure love their night scenes and stars don't they?

MTokyoPete1.png

Level 1's boss... just jump over the barrels he flicks and spray him

MTokyoPete2.png

He doesn't go down without a dirty fight though, here Pete shows off his best Final Fight boss 1 impression

Whew, and that's just stage 1! Enjoy it, because it only gets harder from here on out

Stage 2

MTokyolevel2.png

Usually brown is a bland color in games but TOMY made it look exceptional here

Stage 3

MTokyoboulder.png

oh shit

Stage 4

Stage 4 is a vertical level that starts off showing bottom to top, top to bottom. Remember the old shooter IN THE HUNT where that giant stone creature constantly stalks you up the screen? There ya go

MTokyo3ghosts.png
MTokyolongface.png

notice the change here from the previous pic

MTokyobigghost.png

MTokyoghostchase.png

Stage 5

MTokyomonks.png

Stage 6

MTokyoghostface.png

this creepy ghost face appears 1st thing in stage 6... it's an easy sitting target though with no attacks of it own

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Like Mickey & Donald Magical Adventure 3 this game is not a 1-hit wonder. On easy you have 8 health bars (in the form of balloons), medium 5 and hard 3. As mentioned, the control may cramp your style but it can be worked around, and if you're looking for a Mickey game that actually is CHALLENGING for a change, this one does the job nicely. Mickey Tokyo is a sweet game to kill a couple hours with on those dark rainy Sunday afternoons. It's not in the class of Capcom's SNES Mickey Trilogy, but TOMY did a commendable job of not disgracing the proud name.

Mickey & Donald 3: Level 1
Mickey Disneyland: Level 1

Steve

The Wonder Years,
SMASHIN'!

I'll never forget the day I saw Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. It was the best movie going experience I've had in some time -- the capacity filled theatre was just so vociferous and, to boot, the film was actually worth cheering for.

I remember that day fondly for another reason. My spring semester just ended and I wanted a summer job. I scoured the mall looking for an open position an hour before show time.

I walked past a store that I initially couldn't give two flying you know what about... but then I stopped.... NOW HIRING eh? To quote my friend, the best three words a guy could ever hear from a hot chick: What the Hell

A cute girl about 19 years old was working. The store was empty.

"I'd like an application."

She looked at me as if I were kiddng. Then she gave me one.

I completed it on the bench outside.

5 minutes later I placed the application on the counter.

Cat got her tongue for a second.

"Steve, there hasn't been a male employee here in five years...."

I grinned, and then in a surreptitiously confident manner, uttered the rhetoric words that I knew won me the job then and there.

"I guess the odds are against me then"

The reaction on her face was priceless. I walked out on that note, leaving her hanging.

Two days later, I was called in for an interview. I nailed it and was hired on the spot. My first shift the mall was packed like a sardine can, and they assigned me to take care of the "Wheel Game" where I ask customers to pay two dollars to spin for a mystery prize. 3 (most common and cheapest prizes), 2, 1 and Grand Prize were marked on the wheel, so everyone wins something.

Before I went to it one of the girl employees came over and told me to limit the Grand Prize winners. But if they land on it, how can I change that fact? Then she showed me a little knob on the back of the contraption. When twisted, you could get JUST enough on it to move the arrow indicator 1 or 2 spots over.

That afternoon a couple people did land on the Grand Prize, and I never once manipulated the knob. This one's for the little guys -- LITERALLY (they were 6-year-old girls using their allowance, I'll be damned if I robbed them of that)

Anyway, for the next 7 months I was a salesclerk there. On the weekends I took charge of the Wheel game because the boss said I made more $$$ on it than the girls ever did. Being the only male had it ups and downs, of course, and I could go on and on (don't -Ed.) but I won't (good -Ed.). All in all, it was a nice experience.

Why the HELL am I talking about this, anyway? (You have 3 seconds to explain yourself.... -Ed.)

SANRIO WORLD SMASH BALL!

Think Windjammers (Neo Geo)... only, with Sanrio characters. For those not in the know, Windjammers is basically an air hockey type game, some may call it a "Pong for the 90's" where two player are stationed on opposite ends and the key is to smack the disc into their goal line in a best 3 out of 5 format. Blocks and other obstacles stand in the way. Windjammers was horizontal however, whereas Sanrio Smash is vertical.

Weighing in at a WHOPPIN' TWO MEGS, it's tied with Mr. Do! and Space Invaders as the smallest game on Super Nintendo. Tales of Phantasia -- the biggest game on SNES (48 megs) is a preposterously TWENTY-FOUR times bigger than Sanrio Smash! But as you can see, the graphics here are serviceable enough.

Sanrio4.png

Super Turrican was 4 megs! It fooled many, this one could too, I suppose, a bit

It's a simple and fun 2 player game. I know the cutesy nature may be a turnoff to some but don't let that fool you. Sanrio Smash plays a mean addictive competitive game with many different layouts. There are also power-ups inside blocks... one for example will instantly eliminate all blocks protecting the opposition's goal line... making him ripe for the pickings.

Some stages have X marks, and these serve as a restriction line. There are some stages though that allow you the ability to go where you please.

Sanrioseesaw.png

As you progress the design gets crazier
Here's one of my faves void of those annoying X marks
The seesaw continuously rotates, affecting both players' strategy on the fly

Aside from your standard left and right swats you have the super shot. By holding a button you will charge up a power bar. When full, pressing "X" enables your powershot, sending the disc flying straight ahead at 250 miles per hour. Your guy will swing his arms twice in a circular motion, so it's possible to hit the disc twice in succession if it bounces off a block and right back to you. The bar will only fill up when you're standing still and holding a button. It can be re-filled as many times as you wish.

Sanrio1.png

Bar's full, my guy's flashing, and I'm gearing up.....

Sanrio2.png

Using my super shot, the first hit connects and breaks a block
It immediately ricochets back to me in time before my super shot animation expires
And this time, he has no answer

The game has some unique stage designs. It features a 1P mode, password option and 2P mode. In 2P mode you have 20 stages to pick from, and 4 Sanrio characters. Some of the stage gimmicks are really cool.

SanrioPinball.png

this pinball-like stage is ace

Sanrio3.png

Fans shoot the disc in unpredictable directions

Sanrio5.png

As the disc shatters the blocks, you'd be wise to power up... watch

Sanrio6.png

Now powered up, my possessed-looking friend is free to advance upward, ready to unleash hell

Sanrio7.png

With the boy cornered and a kink in the armor, 1 power shot is all that's left...

The game has no music whatsoever during the gameplay (hey, it's 2 megs after all...) It's just the sound effects of the disc being hit back and forth. Just pop in your favorite CD and you're good to go.

I've yet to meet anyone who has played Sanrio Smash and didn't like it. I suspect you'll enjoy it too, if you can look past its license.

-------

POP'N SMASH

Spuds_mackenzie.jpg
PopnSmashBow.png

Famed for her Bud Light commercial Super Bowl '87

Based on the canine Bow (who resembles Spuds MacKenzie), star of a popular manga and anime series, Takara gives us, well, a Sanrio Smash clone. The full and proper title is "Heisei Inu Monogatari: Bow Pop'n Smash." It controls and plays just like Sanrio Smash, right down to the charging bar-power shot (which can also hit the ball twice in succession under the right circumstances). Talk about shameless!

PopnSmash4.png

So, what are the differences? Well, Pop'n Smash features more options. In Sanrio 2P mode you have a choice of four characters and 20 stages. Here you have six characters and 30 stages. Not only that but you can even select from 9 different tools, ranging from mallets to baseball bats to brooms to even, a branch! I haven't, however, been able to discern if these various tools have pluses and minuses... or if they merely serve as cosmetics, but nonetheless variety is the spice of life.

PopnSmashScreen.png

The 1-Player version is limited to a choice of 4
Here Bow opts for the twig over the tennis racket... wise choice my friend

The powerups also are very similar. i.e. One eliminates all blocks protecting opposition's goal line, another instantly gives you full power. There is at least one icon that's different though: a bomb rovering around the screen -- if it touches you you're frozen in place for a good 4, 5 seconds. Pretty cool.

PopnSmashBomb.png

Bomb just released at the top there

You can also dive to make amazing last second saves and stops. By pressing "Y" and the proper D-Pad command you can dive north, south, east or west. Good stuff I say.

PopnSmash1.png

In the 1P mode you go through each character, with the vs. screen showing the password on bottom much like Sanrio. Hmmmm

SanrioVS.png
vs.
PopnSmashVS.png

Another big difference is in Pop'n Smash you have more freedom to roam as you wish. Many of its stages have no restrictive X marks as Sanrio did.... though there are some stages with restriction points, but most allow each player to go up and down the field as they wish. I only wish you could beat up the opposing player as well, what great fun that would be, sort of a Pong-slash-beat-em-up but alas I digress...

PopnSmashPinball.png

Oh c'mon you wish you could press-slam her too...
Or at least smack her upside the head with the mallet

There's also a "catch-as-many-butterflies-as-you-can-in-40-seconds" mini-game in the 1P mode.

PopnSmashButterflies.png

PopnSmashOops.png

Sayaka displays the powershot, unforunately for her it is most ill-timed
The ball will ricochet off the barrier and into her own goal line

PopnSmash2.png

Certain objects are breakable however, such as these flower pots

PopnSmash3.png

Bow dives to perserve his blocks

PopnSmashWater.png

Sayaka's helpless expression as the ball goes past her is too cute

So, which is better? WHAT'S THE VERDICT?

This was hard a little bit... I did really enjoy the little touches in Pop'n Smash and the additional options that give it perhaps a stronger lifespan than Sanrio... but Sanrio feels a little more "solid" in gameplay. I'd place Pop'n Smash a close second. Both are worth owning and even if Pop'n ripped off Sanrio tremendously, as similar as they are, at the same time they play a bit differently too, if you can fathom that.

-------

Some folks will dismiss Sanrio and Pop'n Smash in favor of a game that's more... "mature."

More violent.

More masculine.

More bl -- (Enough -Ed.)

At the end of the day, gameplay will always reign supreme, no matter the look. Take, for example, Kemco's G2 (Genocide 2)

G2 was scheduled to be released in the States but never did. Play it and you'll no longer wonder why. I recall seeing a preview in EGM and always thought it looked very cool. In fact, earlier this year I made the grave offense of confusing G2 and R2 (Rendering Ranger) for being one and the same... oh boy... are they ever different.

G2-1.png

G2 is a ho-hum action scroller. There are 15 levels. I beat G2 on my first try in 40 minutes. You go through short levels, killing everything (hence the full name GENOCIDE 2... on a side note the US release was called Generations 2... typical Nintendo) but it's just oh so DULL. There's no variety to it, the controls are cumbersome and the graphics and sound very bland. If you ever seen the GAMERA monster films of Japan, the sound effects of enemies in G2 dying sound exactly like the screams belonging to the villain GYAOS

G2-2.png

sure it looks "cool" but don't let that fool ya

Furthermore, the bosses don't even exhibit an ounce of imagination. The levels are just as "production line" (a term to describe a job done without care or love). You simply go right, hack and hack (the special weapons aren't worth mentioning much either) and proceed to next level and repeat. It's more shallow than a slip-and-slide. OK, that was a little harsh..

G2-3.png

I know I've been (exceptionally) hard on G2 thus far, but it's not total crap. It's better than a lot of junk out there. But what's worse than an average game besides the obvious? An average game that, by all admissions, should have been very good. I give G2 a pedestrian 5.5 out of 10, maybe 6 on a good day. It shoulda been leagues better, LEAGUES. Proceed with caution.

Maybe you'll like it but I didn't much.

G2-4.png

such wasted potential

Sanrio Smash
-----
Domination
Down to the wire
No Mercy

Pop'n Smash
-----
Sanrio Smash beater? What do you think?

G2: Genocide 2
-----
My friend's vid of G2, up to level 2-3, NG member Formation Z

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Ive played Genocide 2 on other systems (tho I presume its the same by the looks), and thought it was pretty decent.......tho I admit owning the tourture laden prequel for some years has a lot to do with that......at least the music was good.

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
I can understand the supposed name change from Genocide to Generations. because of the word Genocide having an offensive connotation. Most of the time people think ethnic cleansing when they hear that word.

The FM Towns version of G2, the case itself is almost twice as big as a Neo Geo cartridge case!
P1010003_001.sized.jpg

And about G2's option pod "Betty", it looks to have been ripped right out Last Resort.

Last edited:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Formation Z said:
I can understand the supposed name change from Genocide to Generations. because of the word Genocide having an offensive connotation. Most of the time people think ethnic cleansing when they hear that word.

The FM Towns version of G2, the case itself is almost twice as big as a Neo Geo cartridge case!
P1010003_001.sized.jpg

And about G2's option pod "Betty", it looks to have been ripped right out Last Resort.

Boy that pic sure looks familiar. :lolz:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
HALLOWEEN EDITION

For the kid in me this will always be my favorite day of the calender year. Darkening days, falling leaves, that cold crisp October night air... it's hard to beat.

Appropriately, here are 3 "ghostly" SFC games...

Have a great Halloween

GEGEGE NO KITAROU (AKA "GHOST OF KITARO")

Kitaro7.png

This game is very very strange! It's a scrolling shoot em up platformer -- best way to describe it. Based off the manga/anime you control a bloke who sprays bullets out of his hair. Doing the firing? The organism which takes shelter in Kitaro's do, of course. Bizarre? You betcha.

Unfortunately these bullets don't go full-screen. Kitarou has a shield to block projectiles with, and 3 special weapons he can call upon, but can only use once he's killed a ghost creature and captured its soul. The more souls you've swiped, the more specials you can use.

1 special is a short cane like whip that I find utterly useless. Another is a sandal-type thing that goes across the bottom of the screen and back. The third is the BFG of the game. Multiple electric blasts are emitted from Kitarou's body. Best saved for bosses.

There are 19 levels but each stage is VERY short. You deal with a few regular baddies (some can be rather tough) and then you tackle the guardian boss. Some levels have as little as 2 enemies before the boss encounter! What the hell!

The game reminds me a bit of a SNES Contra clone REALM in this regard: both games are highly imaginative with some truly bizarre monsterous creations, but the damn thing's just so hard, making it tough to enjoy.

Realm.png

blasted difficult-to-high-heavens REALM

Luckily there are two handy codes (one for level select, the other for unlimited specials) and with the latter I was able to "electro shock" my way through the game. What a shame it's so hard, because like Realm some of the later levels are really something else. Alas, even jedi game players probably won't ever see 'em without the aid of cheats.

Some bosses include: Frankenstein, a witch who can change you into small random objects, a vampire in the form of a giant bat along with his many tiny bat friends, a dark cave set against a waterfall where you square off with ten dragon heads, one at a time etc.

The game, even though Kitarou and friends are kiddy looking and no blood is featured, isn't exactly rated G. One boss, after you kill her, splits in half! Another impales an innocent bystander through the heart with her makeshift razor-hand!

Here's an example of how unfair the gameplay is. On certain levels there are very small platforms to jump on, but with spirits on you like bees on honey, it's so hard to avoid them. If hit, you'll fall to your death, thanks to the ridiculously small platforms. Another case-in-point: there are leaps of faith to be made where you can't even see the platform on the right until you jump, forcing the screen to stroll forward. In a game as hard as this, that's just wrong.

On the upside, the monsters as I mentioned are something else. Level 1's boss is something you might see in Hayao Miyazaki's work (Spirited Away specifically) The graphics are real cartoony and excellent. And the music? Solid. Oriental flare and gets rather creepy-ish at the right moments.

Kitaro6.png

Another major plus: what is a super-hard 1 player game becomes an absolutely BRILLIANT not-so-rock-hard 2-player affair. The 2nd player controls a character who has a full screen fireball similar to Sagat's. With Kitarou blocking and the 2nd player firing away, the game takes on new life. It's been a while since I seen a game where 2 players made SUCH a drastic difference over the 1 player mode.

After each level there are pictures and JP text to advance the story.

GeGeGe no Kitarou is the kind of game that you want to like so badly because of all its quirks, but the difficulty/cheapness ruins it. Can't recommend it whole-heartedly, but as a $5-$10 buy (provided you have a sibling or friend into these old games) you won't regret it.

Treehouse.png

"Chip? Monterey? Gadget? Zipper?!"
"Hey bud wrong tree house wrong show!"
"Oh, er... love what you done with the place"

Here's a look at LEVEL 1

This 1st baddie takes several hits to kill and zips around like no tomorrow

Kitaro1.png

Then this chick pops from out behind the tree. Don't be seduced...

Kitaro2.png

For her true colors are soon revealed

Kitaro3.png

Thinking he was friendly I approached the lard asking for a breath mint, preferably grape

Kitaro4.png

That's the last time I go to the ****ing woods

Kitaro5.png

----

GHOST CHASER DENSEI

Where are the ghosts, I've always wondered. It's a beat em up. 3 choices: all around guy, quick girl, or heavy duty robot. There are 6 or 7 different types of baddies, and each "race" has 2 or 3 spinoffs but uses the same sprite. These include the usual: bottom tier bums, the big boys, the fat boys, the annoying females, even large monsters (some of which are named "Monster" or "Creature" -- and who said creativity's dead in video games?)

2 Player mode is where it's at as you can perform awesome tag team moves with your power meter. You know how beat em ups have special attacks that take away your own energy a little bit? Here, you have a separate meter for those things, so doing 360 whirly kicks or flaming Dragon Punches doesn't sap you of health, ace. There is an amazing array of different special's at your disposal. The game's moveset is larger than your average beat em up, which makes it stand out.

Not much more I need to say except it's a good one. Again I'm not sure where the "spirits" are, as I don't see any ghosts here... except in the title and maybe one, and I wouldn't want to spoil that for ya.

Beat em up fans will like it.

GhostChaser.jpg

-------

GHOST SWEEPER MIKAMI

One chases, the other sweeps. The world we live in. This game is what you might get if Splatterhouse, Castlevania, Ghostbusters and Sailor Moon all jumped into a melting pot. Sorta...

You control Mikami, a rather sexy-dressing lass, who must rid the levels of spirits with her trusty wand-ish stick. Along the way pots can be broken to reveal powerups such as food or weapon upgrades (projectiles)

But is it any good?

Let's go to the tale of the tape shall we...

LEVEL 1

Mikami starts at the local mall. Reminiscent of DAWN OF THE DEAD

Mikami1.png

Nothing creeps like crummy ole mannequins at night... except for window-crashing zombies

Mikami2.png

Once that's sorted you go train-hopping. It scrolls splendidly

Mikami3.png

very Ghostbuster-esque wouldn't you say?
Don't get any ideas here, Samuel L...

The little details are what make games so fun. Here's a creepy visit with a passenger... (the paper can come alive!)

Mikami4.png

"Are you done with the funnies yet?"

Doors must be blasted down. And quickly! Watch out for them nasty hand thingies

Mikami5.png

Mikami can hang and swing herself up to reach new heights. Very cool

Mikami6.png
Mikami7.png

that Flash Kick will take out baddies too

Zombies? Check. Possessed duffel bags? Check. Boogeymen? Check

Mikami8.png

Finally we arrive at boss numero uno. His long arm attack reminds me of the ole cheap sticky long arm things you could buy at supermarkets for 25 cents back in the day

Mikami9.png
Mikami10.png

LEVEL 2

Watery bit level

Mikami11.png

A rock and some bats [You're fired -Ed.]

Mikami12.png

Oh, it's the house-at-the-end-of-the-woods bit. They're never good things, ar'they?

Mikami13.png

Maybe this is the exception... aw isn't she adorable? WHOA WHAT THE [snip -Ed.]

Mikami14.png
Mikami15.png

Attack her hands and bat away the spirits

Mikami16.png
Mikami17.png

WHO'S BAD!

Mikami18.png
Mikami19.png

I know it's deja vu but grab it and go!

Mikami20.png

LEVEL 3

Here you get shrunk down to size...

Mikami21.png

All sorts of evils come your way

Mikami22.png

And everyday things we don't think twice of

Mikami23.png

you will jump...

And duck

Mikami24.png

This mid-boss packs a deadly punch (or at least, a poison dart)

Mikami25.png

game over

I enjoyed Ghost Sweeper. It's old school platforming fun, controls well and the atmosphere is ace. Based off the manga/anime... no surprise as so many SFC games were based off some sort of manga or anime. At least this one wasn't hastily put together.

A worthy addition to your Super Famicom collection.

Kitarou Level 1
Ghost Sweeper Boss 1

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
yeah Ghost Chaser is definetly an awesome beat 'em up - highly influenced by Capcom CPS1/2 arcade scrollers. great stuff.
I have one with manual missing the box which I might be inclined to trade if anyone's interested (sorry for the plug).

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I managed to get a complete and mint ghost chaser densei a while back. One thing I never found out is how exactly do you perform those near-death special attacks? The booklet says health must be flashign red and you have to do a down-up attack thing...anybody got this?

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Man I better find a loose SFC cart of Ghost Sweeper Mikami real soon. :cool:

Man Steve you sure know how to get ahold of SFC games and you have alot of awesome game reviews too. :cool:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
SEND IN THE CLONES!

Whenever a successful formula is found, like Street Fighter II, rival companies clamor to clone it. Ever wonder why Mario Kart didn't have more imitators? Actually, there were quite a few clones... but most of them never made it past Japan. Today we look at five of 'em and see how they fare

ASTRO GO! GO!

AstroGoGo7.png

More of an F-Zero clone, this game is simply nuts. If you're suspectible to motion sickness you may want to pass. Astro Go Go moves so fast your eyes feel like exploding due to the rapid processing of multi-technic colors and scrolling scenery. The graphics themselves aren't particularly impressive, but the speed makes everything look better than what they really are.

You have a choice of 5 racers, each having their own unique vehicle. SUPER PLAY shows you the way....

SPAstroGoGo.jpg

Unfortunately it's only 1-Player, and one look it's easy to see why. The SNES trying to handle this game, split-screen, without severe detail being stripped and lack of slowdown? Shyeah, right. Thus, lifespan is shorter. There is a Grand Prix mode where you race the other 4 drivers, and a time trial mode that saves your best lap and overall times. And... that's it.

The trickiest part may be the controls. You see, you can move the vehicle 360 degrees. That means, then, that most of us will spin out accidentally a lot until we get the hang of this. Why the 360 degrees control? In certain parts your guy will go left or right... or even INTO THE SCREEN! Observe the various directions, and keep in mind this all happens at an insane velocity:

The Great Leap Forward... and I'm not talking Mao Zedong

AstroGoGo1.png

Landing on some lovely tiles you're warned to turn right

AstroGoGo2.png

Diagonal bit (see the 871 KM!)

AstroGoGo3.png

Flying left (891 KM! *falls over and twitches*)

AstroGoGo5.png

Screaming DOWNWARD (at 896 KM!! *croaks*)

AstroGoGo4.png

So, is it worth getting? Tricky, this. See, I can understand how one might dig this, but for me I never viewed it as a "real" game. It's more of a show-y off-y gimmick racer, that while is cool and fun in 15 minute spurts, doesn't offer much more. The controls get better as you work it out and memorize the layouts of the courses, but it's far too lightweight to be considered a "great racing title."

On a side note, this was scheduled a US release under the HORRIBLE name Freeway Flyboys

Oh and if you're wondering, Super Play slagged it with a 51% mark summarizing it as "Engagingly off-beat, but only for a matter of seconds. Then its true color as a lazy attempt to copy F-Zero will shine through, driving you to despair."

NEXT!

AstroGoGo6.png

------

BATTLE RACERS

Ah, did Banpresto milk these fella's or what? One in a long line of "Battle" SFC games, these titles all feature the same four blokes, namely, Ultraman the Great, Radar RX 'The Masked Rider,' Battle Knight Gundam F-91 and Earth Fighter Roah. They've done dodgeball, they've done soccer, now they're slugging it out in a charge-to-the-finish-line duel.

BattleRacers.png

As you can see, since these are super bad robots they need no stinkin' go-karts or the like. Standard Grand Prix mode, Time Trial (which saves your best lap and overall times of course) and 2P mode. 2 players can battle it out in the Grand Prix mode, or a battle game where the objective is to capture a ball and enter 10 zones, deactivating them, one by one. Meanwhile, your opponent tries his damndest to knock the ball out of your clutches and begin his own 10 zone spree. There are (surprise surprise) four different specific battle courses.

Power sliding feels just great here. There's nothing like turning the corner without slowing down and brushing past a group of pillars -- speeding your way to the finish line

BattleRacers4.png

this provides a great rush of adrenaline

In the Grand Prix mode, there are 6 racers. Points are handed out much like Mario Kart

BattleRacers1.png

shameless huh

Capsules are strewn about the courses. They change colors every few seconds and range from health refills to projectile-based attacks (yes, you have an energy bar). 5 laps per course... some of which are very short -- 11 to 15 second laps are not uncommon! 4 cups are available, with the 4th having to be unlocked. Four courses 1st cup, five 2nd and six 3rd. (total of 15 initial tracks for the mathematically impaired)

BattleRacers2.png

Standard pits and water hazards are present

The game is fun and feels 'right.' I thought coming in, it was going to be a poor clone. It's a lot better than I expected. In fact, in the end I came away liking it a lot. Give it a shot

NEXT!

BattleRacers3.png

this sunlight effect is "greatness personified"

------

KAT'S RUN

Ugh. What a disappointment. An all-girl racer released in summer '95 by ATLUS. 10 females to select from, and 10 cars. Sounds plenty promising, but ends up being just a dull me-too racer.

KatsRun1.png

Standard 1 and 2 player modes. Courses work oddly here... the screen blacks out as you continue to race, then it lights up and you begin the next course. This means no little breaks in-between, and with the lame CPU AI you find yourself alone driving along the bland scenery. My victory was marked after 18 minutes of non-stop racing. I almost fell asleep.

KatsRun.png

Looks cool in'it? The real in-game graphics aren't this good nor the tracks, trust me

It's not worthless... but save your money. NEXT!

-----

RIDER'S SPIRITS
(Bike Daisuki: Hashiriya Damashii)

Here's another blatant Mario Kart clone. Yet, like Battle Racers, it's quite enjoyable and worth getting. You have 8 drivers to select from, each with pros and cons. GP, Time Trial, 2P. If you time it right after the 3, 2, 1 bit you can even get a speed burst.

RiderSpirits.png

The 2 Player mode is awesome. Two can play in GP mode, or race against one another just the two of you. You can also opt to include just two extra CPU opponent (total of four for those counting at home). Now that's the kind of customizable power that I love. But what about a 2P battle mode, a la Mario Kart? And Battle Racers?

It's a little different here, and it's pretty damn cool. Ever heard of a game called CHICKEN? Well, allow someone who has played it to explain it to you. This Will Smith bit here explains it all (with a cameo from Robin -- the black lady on the Howard Stern show). Rider's Spirits' Chicken Race mode is like that... closest biker to the edge wins. If you go over, you lose, however, unlike the bloke in the footage who claims he won though he went over... yet he didn't really win, did he? [Stop confusing the masses -Ed.]

Just let it be known, this mode though lasts 5 seconds, is a great little brake-at-the-last-possible-moment bit and works brill.

Here's EGM's take

EGMRiders.jpg

Well done... NEXT!

----

SD F-1 GRAND PRIX

You may remember the regular F-1 Grand Prix games on Super Famicom. Here's their Mario Kart clone version. Pick from 10 different animals each with their own stats

SDF1select.png

CHUCK E. CHEESE'S rejects...

There are many different camera angles to pick from. The default is Mario Kart style. But one allows you to make SD F-1 look just like their earlier F-1 games, from a bird-eye's view point

SDF1small.png

1P games include:

-GP Mode: first you race around bare track for 2 laps to be awarded a starting position (1-10). Then you start the race at your designated spot against the 9 rivals. Icons litter the course, collect enough to fill a bar and you can give yourself a temporary speed burst

-Crash Mode: None of this 2 laps positioning nonsense. Start out #10 and instead of speed-bar-filling-up icons you get regular weapon icons (projectiles, etc.) I much preferred this traditional Mario Kart mode over GP

-Time Trial: Duh. Keeps track of best lap and overall times

2P game (besides obvious GP and whatnot):

-Dog Fight: Pick one of (surprise surprise) four specific battle arenas, and it's a dog fight to the death. Goal is to zap other driver's energy to zero by blasting them with any means necessary. Groovy

Like Battle Racers, your guy has a health bar that is reduced any time he falls in a pit, rams into barriers or gets fried by the opposition. Unlike Battle Racers though, instead of finding health refills in capsules, SD F-1 has a healing section along the beginning of each track much like F-Zero

SDF1heal.png

Mario Kart meets F-Zero?! Sure looks guilty...

And now, let us gawk at a flurry of pics

SDF1-1.png

OK they TOOK Mario Kart & replaced it with furry animals

SDF1-2.png

some tracks contain helpful arrows

SDF1-3.png

lovely beach level... with a super jump bit

SDF1-4.png

Northern Lights! Nice detail on the ice as well

Lava track is arguably the best in terms of oooh-factor

SDF1-5.png

prepare for the super jump

SDF1-6.png

over... blue tiles?! Hey, it looks pretty OK?

SDF1-7.png

love how you can see it twist in the distance

SDF1-8.png

avoid the muddy spots

SDF1-9.png

lovely parquet flooring a la old Boston Celtics forum [That's stone -Ed.]

OK, TO SUM IT UP, WHAT'S GOOD?

I really like SD F-1, Rider's Spirits and Battle Racers. These games, as far as I'm concerned, are must-haves if you *love* Super Mario Kart (as I do)

Here's my ranking of today's games:

5. Kat's Run (quite meh, really)
4. Astro Go Go (not bad for what it is, but limited lifespan)
Tie. Rider's Spirits/Battle Racers (love these two)
1. SD F-1 Grand Prix (by a hair)

Of course, these clones are NAGA (not as good as) Mario Kart. But as alternatives, I'm sure you'll find at least one here you'll take a bit of a liking to. I know I did (three, in fact)

MOTION SICKNESS CITY -AKA- Astro Go Go (0:39)
Battle Racers (1:15)
SD F-1 Grand Prix (0:30)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
EGM vs. GAMEFAN

Welcome once again to another edition. Yes, there is a game beneath all this mess, and what an odd little game it is. If there was ever a BORAT character in the Super Nintendo world, this bloke would certainly qualify. But first, a topic near and dear...

Sunday, March 19, 2006

GameFanSet.jpg

It was on this day that I made a 40 minute trek to reclaim bits and pieces from my childhood. If there was one thing I enjoyed more than playing with my gaming group in the early-mid 90's, it was reading the latest EGM-slash-GameFan.

I found a collector online who lives 40 minutes away and had a crap load of doubles. He invited me to stop by some day, pick out my favorite issues and buy.

And so it was on that warm idyllic Sunday afternoon that I began my odyssey. Nice house, nice neighborhood. We greeted at his front door and then he guided me to his garage, which had been transformed into a gaming dungeon. Arcade machines adorned the walls proudly and of course, a ton of boxes home to countless doubles.

I stifled through 'em looking solely for EGM and GameFan. Finally, I gathered 22 EGM's and 13 GameFans. I already had EGM '94, so I was looking for '92 and '93 (the 16-bit era) and luck be my day, he had doubles of Jan '92 through Dec '93, with only two issues missing inbetween

EGM.jpg

We layed it out and now it was pricing time. I feared the worst as he flicked through the issues. Bear in mind -- I only had $68 on me. 35 vintage hard-to-find issues in very good condition, not to mention highly sought after, especially the GameFans

Yeah, I was expecting the worst

"So," He started. "How much do you think would be fair for all this?"

Reaching in my pocket, I pulled out what I had.

"I got sixty-eight dollars."

I paused and anticipated his disappointment, or laughter.

... Maybe both

"Sounds good to me," He said, with a smile.

WOW. I almost did a double-take outta astonishment!

That made my entire week! $1.94 per issue it came out. You won't find a deal this good online, ever

I'm sure he knew he could have made double or triple what I paid. But, some people just want to see these things go to a good home. And I was lucky he was one of 'em

He helped carry the magazines to my car and then invited me to check out his game room upstairs. There he had his personal "untouchables" (fitting term for a man who just gave me a Gandhi-sized deal eh?) magazine collection, and they ranged from ELECTRONIC GAMES to VIDEO GAMES AND COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT. I mentioned I was looking for SUPER PLAY -- a UK Super Nintendo magazine held in high reverence within diehard SNES circles. He didn't have that one.

His game collection was equally stunning. A Dreamcast setup in arcade-like fashion was brilliantly displayed. He showed me his "Gamer of 2005" (or the like) plaque that he won at some gaming convention. This guy was TRULY hardcore.

While driving home on the freeway, I took a couple glances at the treasure that rested gently on my passenger seat... still in disbelief.

And now it's led to (pardon the pun) an issue I had planned to address from the very beginning of this topic:

EGM vs GAMEFAN

Which is better? Here's my 2 cents...

EGM1.jpg

FACT: EGM covered way more SFC games than GameFan did

I hear all too often that GameFan was and is the best ever. Now don't get me wrong, I *LOVED* GameFan to death as a kid. I remember drooling at screenshots of SNES World Heroes 2. But after reading them some odd 12 years later... the memories proved better than the actual product.

EGM deserves more cred for their import coverage, which was, quite frankly, superior to GameFan's. Each month INTERNATIONAL OUTLOOK highlighted numerous Super Famicom games lying in the wings, even the really obscure ones.

EGMFireMen2.jpg

Godzilla: Kaijuu Dai Kessen, you recall, was the 1st game I highlighted in this topic, and it was thanks to EGM that I discovered this game way back in '94. Others include:

Bakuto Dochers
Basketball Dream: Dunk and Hoop
Battle Cross
Battle Master
Battle Racers
Firemen
G2
Ghost Chaser Densei
Go Go Ackman
Mickey Tokyo Disneyland
Miracle Girls
Pop'n Smash
Rider's Spirits
SD Hiryu no Ken
Spark World
Super Back to the Future II
Zen Nippon Wrestling Dash

etc.

Note that all these games have been highlighted somewhere in this topic. And I got EGM to thank for it. Any time I see someone pimp GameFan for its amazing import coverage, I grin because EGM did it even more, and never seems to be credited for such.

EGMBattleCross.jpg

GameFan had ace screen grabs but their writing left a lot to be desired at times. They were often too "cute," though ironically that was why I loved them back in '93. They wrote like... well, like an enthusiastic 10-year-old, which was perfect when you were ten; it felt like it was your very own writing that went into the magazine.

Two examples:

Volume 1, Issue 8 page 69

Another option is picking from two games, Turbo Hyper fighting and um ... I can't remember. I'm sorry sometimes I forget... Oh wait! I remember now, it's Champion Edition! Oh yea baby! Capcom is awesome

Volume 2, Issue 2 Editorial

Welcome to the Editorial Zone. A place where I, a person crazy enough to make a video game magazine, gets to write whatever I want. So, this month let's talk about the three toed Wallaby, a lovable little mate from down unda... uh, hold on. What was that you guys? I'm a what? OK, OK, I gotcha.

Enthusiasm? Sense of Humor? No doubt. Professional? Not always. No question that helped made them so "hip" and refreshing, but it's a double-edged sword. I find GameFan has aged not-so-well -- EGM on the other hand is like a fine fine wine. Those legendary 300-plus page holiday issues are still as enchanting as they were twelve years ago

Don't mistaken me for ripping GameFan though, I like 'em dearly to this day.

Speaking of quality gaming mags, as some of you know I received 45 issues of SUPER PLAY a few weeks ago. I'm making my rounds with it as we speak -- I truly love the whole archive-ness of these great old magazines. It was quite an era.... quite an era...

SP-WH2.jpg

It's a great kick to turn a page and run into an obscure SFC game... a few days ago I saw SANRIO SMASH and was delightfully thrilled. Super Play rated it 82% calling it "a surprise gem"

SP-Sanrio.jpg

EGM... GameFan... Super Play... you gotta freakin' love it. Gaming mags in the US in my book have gone down the toilet since late 1997. I miss the days where you couldn't wait for them to come in the mail. They really do serve as a time vessel to much simpler and more innocent times...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

SP-FH.jpg

-------

JUNGLE NO OUJA TARZAN is one of those SFC games you'll come across and be quite perplexed by its distinct look. Once you see it, you never forget it, even if you want to.

It's a platformer that doesn't do anything you haven't seen done better before, but its overall unique quirky-ness warrants a look. Tarzan does struggle from Kid Icarus-itis... namely, after landing on small ledges he's quite prone to slip, the git.

I mentioned earlier Tarzan would be the Borat of the SNES realm. Like Borat, he starts out in his (jungle-y) home at the beginning, but then takes his exploits to such locations as China, Las Vegas and even a haunted castle to name a few. Only instead of greeting the local folk with double cheek kisses and asking for sexy time he's greeting 'em with the good ole universal pop-to-the-jaw.

One big grip I have with the game is his plodding nature. Stopping and going with him feels clunky, and he doesn't jump a terribly long distance.

The music is worth noting as it is just as offbeat as the game itself. Very funky

And now, the mandatory screen shots

---

Ah it's a good day for a run

Jungle.png

And branch-hopping

Jungle1.png

And swinging

Jungle2.png

Peace doesn't last long though... wouldn't be much of a game if it did eh

Jungle4.png

cool how the baddie's right foot is hidden behind that shrub

Angry his jungle's been invaded, Tarzan unleashes his might

Jungle5.png

This monkey acts as a spring

Jungle3.png

Hit the rock which causes it to slide taking out the villain

Jungle6.png

Some amusing animations abound

Jungle7.png

Even the baddies die in like-fashion

Jungle8.png

Uh-oh... wild life running opposite you is never a good thing

Jungle9.png

Don't you hate being right? Boss 1

Jungle10.png

Jungle11.png

And that's level 1. Next Tarzan heads to China it would seem. Here he is greeted by Hadoken-tossing monks. Just stand still and the fireball goes past you harmlessly.

Jungle12.png

you do a lot of this in the game, Tarzan's no Carl Lewis

These blocks are breakable, but beware of the occasional spike pit below (press L/R to scroll up/down to see potential hazards)

Jungle13.png

Advance slowly, stopping whenever he fires one, and then jump kick DAT ASS!

Jungle14.png

So much for homeland security eh

Jungle15.png

These cramped areas spell a little bit more trouble for Tarzan as it eliminates the jump kick

Jungle16.png

Beware the parts that are not breakable, as you'll see here

Junglekick.png

ow! Damn just missed it by an inch too

JungleOW.png

The tiger punch can be aimed downward, straight ahead or vertically

Jungle17.png

Tarzan does the Running Man to keep warm, the damn fool

Jungle18.png

I love how a rope is conveniently placed there by the baddies, haha

Jungle19.png

CLOSING THOUGHTS

A decent platformer made more interesting thanks to its strange character. Expect nothing more, nothing less. Playable, if unremarkable. Below the likes of Go Go Ackman and Ghost Sweeper and those, mind, are below DoReMi. If you're a numbers person, this would fall somewhere in that 6.5 out of 10 range (slightly above average but not quite "solid")

The epitome of a guilty pleasure, this one. Yes, indeed. In a similar vain to Super Back to the Future II

Jungle no Ouja Tarzan level 1 (1:00)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
EGM and Superplay where in a different league. I loved both of those magazines above anything else. the SFC and Neo Geo coverage was spectacular. nothing since has come close.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I used to read NMS nintendo magazine system, great memories! And of course the EGM, EGM2, Gamefan, etc etc ones.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
TANUKI

The raccoon serves as a good luck symbol to the Japanese (though Resident Evil folk may beg to differ). They love 'em some tanuki (raccoon)

tanuki.jpg

So it's no surprise, then, to see this furry creature popping up in their video games. Pocky & Rocky comes to mind immediately as does the Ganbare Goemon games (Mystical Ninja in the west)

RACCOON RASCAL
(Araiguma Rascal: Raccoon Rascal)

Rascal3.png

4-hits are always sweet

A puzzler with a unique twist. Rather than being another Puyo Puyo/Tetris rip-off, you control a raccoon who must match 3 (or more) like-jars by way of arrangement. Keep in mind it's not like Tetris Attack. Here you're restricted by obvious obstacles whereas in TA you're free to move the cursor where you wish. It'll take you a few minutes to get the hang of it, but then the good times roll

Rascal.png

The little squirrels pushing the jars down add a nice touch. As you can see, Rascal just connected 3 green glasses. Getting chains is quite tricky so it's double gratifying when you pull one off.

Rascal is an endearing little guy. When carrying a jar, he marches along erect holding the jar high above his head with his diminutive arms. And when he's not carrying one and moving, true to raccoon form, Rascal scampers low to the ground.

Rascal1.png
Rascal4.png

When Rascal has a jar he has the option of dropping it beneath him, or throwing it one column over. He can also jump and swipe jars high above his head; as well as pushing jars provided they're out in the open.

Rascal5.png

Leap and grab, now match 'em

Rascal6.png

atta boy

If a jar is dropped on Rascal's head, it results in this amusing animation

Rascal8.png

The 1 player mode is fine and dandy but like any puzzle game worth its weight (sans Tetris of course), the all-important two-player mode(s). Raccoon Rascal has three unique 2 player modes

The 1st is a side scrolling platform-y race-to-the-exit-as-fast-as-you-can split-screen affair, where jars are placed strategically to impede players' progress. This mode is a thrilling race-against-your-opponent-while-you-rack-out-your-brains kind of rush.

The 2nd is the full-screen cooperative mode. If you're not in a competitive mood this mode serves its purpose well

RascalVS2.png

the other modes are fun but here's where it's at

The 3rd final option is the classic head-to-head split-screen mode. The 2nd player controls a boy named Sterling who bears more than a passing resemblance to Oliver Twist

Oliver-Twist.jpg

We all know the story don't we. Boy meets raccoon. Raccoon bites boy. Boy challenges raccoon to life-or-death puzzle duel

Movie Trailer voice guy
It was a time of pain and destruction
It drove boy and raccoon to the brink of madness
NOW, their final battle commences

This is the story of the hard-working raccoon vs the lazy nappin' boy. Let's see how this new classic tale for future generations plays out...

RascalVS.png

Now Jimmy see here, the raccoon busts his nuts while the git naps
Now observe what happens and why hard work pays off

RascalVS1.png

OK, so video games should not be used to teach life lessons...
Even Sterling has no clue how he won!

CLOSING THOUGHTS

SP-RR.jpg

SUPER PLAY, who was extremely tough on game scores, rated this one pretty highly, given their strict standards:

Graphics: 80%
Sound: 68%
Gameplay: 81%
Gamelife: 79%
Overall: 79%

saying "The cute shell hides a rock hard interior. The learning curve is not set perfectly, but when the going gets tough, it's tough with a capital T. I've probably played this as much as any other game this month and I am still only half-way through the levels. Extensive play reveals Puyo Puyo-like tactics which allows for many chain reactions; and the two-player modes are the icing on an already appetizing cake"

---

A puzzler that gets more awesome as you delve into its tactics and techniques. Somewhat meh at first but quickly becomes highly charming and effective

Rascal7.png

"TO THE STRIP BAR!"

Raccoon Rascal (2:49)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
TANUKI... PART II

Tanuki's accurate translation is "raccoon dog." And according to Japanese folklore, they have shape-shifting powers. That certainly describes this next game perfectly.

SPtanuki.jpg

POKO NYAN! HENPOKORIN ADVENTURE

pokonyan.jpg

This sucker had me chasing for some time. A friend told me last month Poko Nyan is even harder to find than Rendering Ranger (!). Dunno how accurate that claim is, but I trust his word. About a week later I found one CIB for just $50, a collector I know paid $150 for his not too long ago!

Gleaning from the box art, you probably could guess the genre... yes, platformer, thank you, you in the back.

EGMpoko.jpg

Been curious since I saw this in EGM #66 Jan. 95

EGM wasn't kidding -- how very easy this game is. You can't die! The timer running out doesn't end gameplay, nor does any amount of hits from the bad guys. Being a popular anime with young children this game was created with them in mind. A four-year-old could beat this! The game has 15 levels and can be finished in 40 minutes, even sooner if you rush straight for the exit.

Poko.png

Doing his best Sonic impersonation

Not sounding good eh?

But wait -- what's this? The game's a RIOT?! Yes it is. Poko (I think that's his name) is such a likable chap, much like Rascal. The stages are beautiful, some ace set-pieces and even the enemies themselves are cute. Just take one look at the wild boar who, before charging, has a silly exclamation mark bubble pop over his head.

Poko3.png

The set-pieces are awesome not just because of how they look but also how they come into play. Some have several platforms Poko can hop on, or hop down from. Down + jump makes Poko drop to the platform below. This becomes oddly fascinating in and of itself, as it's fun to knock off baddies from above. May not sound all that great, but you'd be surprised.

Poko2.png

Some other cool ones:

Poko5.png

Reminiscent of SNES Lion King

Poko6.png

Looking a little sick there buddy

Poko7.png

Looks like he's giving the finger...

These little things add a lot to the game's charm.

True to Japanese folklore, this tanuki has plenty of shape-shifting prowess!

(All forms can double jump, including Poko)

By pressing R, Poko changes into a high-jumping kangaroo.

Poko4.png

Up + R? This bird-y thing with unlimited flight!

PokoBird.png

Down + R? This little runt!

PokoRunt.png

He can do this (on the lesser baddies, mind)

PokoRunt1.png

You can switch to any form at any time, no limits. You can switch back to Poko by pressing R again, or whenever a baddie hits you. Adds a lot of extra life to the game.

The 15 levels are spread over 5 different "worlds" each guarded by one of the nasty foxes. These boss battles, like the rest of the game, are a cinch. The later ones have some cool powers though.

While the game is short, the key is to explore the levels rather than rushing to the end. There is also a point score where bouncing off consecutive baddies allots major points, so at least there's a point system.

Poko8.png

That sends Poko soaring through the grapes

Poko9.png

Groovy roller coaster multi-tier stage

Poko10.png

Love the whale in the background

Poko11.png

Platforming rule #162: must have water stage

Poko12.png

Rule #163: ice too

Poko13.png

More Northern Lights in SFC games

Poko14.png

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!

Poko15.png

The stages, however short, are fantastic

Poko16.png

A deceptively fun game

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Poko Nyan won't light any gamer's world on fire, but it's very charming and enjoyable. Scrolling is a bit herky-jerky at times, but not bothersome enough to really deduct the game for. Perfect for kids, and great for anyone whose still a kid-at-heart

Poko1.png

Good stuff

Poko Nyan (0:43)

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Steve you get MAD props for saving those magazines. I still have those too, but they're beat up.

My EGM August 1993 got thrown in the trash without me knowing it. Do you know if I can get them anywhere else?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
CHAIN CAN BE HARD

"Chain" can be hard, and INTEC didn't stray far away from a much tried-and-true formula.

OTOBOKE NINJA COLOSSEUM is what you'd get if you cross female ninja's and Bomberman.

So, is it any good?

HOW TO PLAY

Instead of bombs you drop spiked capsules

OtobokePlay.png

2 seconds later, the capsule shatters, releasing 4 shurikens; North-South-West-East (if not blocked). OK, so it's pretty much like Bomberman's bombs right? Not so fast....

OtobokePlay1.png

If a shuriken connects, it stuns the player for 2 seconds, but they're not yet eliminated

OtobokePlay2.png

ONLY during a stunned state can the chain attack finish 'em off

OtobokePlay3.png

"Y" for chain, "B" for laying spikes

So it's a little different, not much, but it is. Gone are the sad "dangit I accidentally killed myself in the 1st three seconds" syndrome. Plus, the chain attack is ace. It can be manipulated to curve around corners and, when prolonged, is quite an amazing sight not to mention really fun to control. More on this later...

PLAYING BY YOURSELF IS NO FUN...

The 1st world was very ho-hum and left a rather negative taste in my mouth. It was just so... bland.

Otoboke1P.png

I forced myself through, hoping things would pick up a bit. And it did at the 1st boss.

OtobokeBoss.png

Shurikens hitting it does no damage. You have to first connect with the shuriken(s) and THEN send the chain ball at it. For regular enemies, shuriken is enough. For the tougher regulars, the ole shuriken-chain combo is called for

.... YES IT IS... SORTA

World 2 was a lot more interesting with more puzzles to solve instead of just laying spike capsules and high-tailing it. They're not yet mind-bending but it's still early. Here is the first "puzzle" you'll encounter:

To beat a stage you must clear every bad guy. Here, 3 unbreakable blocks halt your progress

OtobokePuzzle.png

Using your chain, pull 'em out 1 at a time

OtobokePuzzle1.png

And again....

OtobokePuzzle2.png

Now with 1 block left, you're able to push through it and unleash ARMAGEDDON

OtobokePuzzle3.png

Like I said, not taxing but a lot more satisfying than the wide open. Later on, with teleports coming into play, they get rather perplexing

SPREAD OUT!

The next snow stage is very nice. I love little things like that creepy possessed-looking volcano face that rests in the middle of the screen launching fireballs without mercy... awesome. Watch the shadows of these on-coming flame balls and ski-daddle!

OtobokeSnow.png
OtobokeSnow1.png

By the way, the 'cano mug reminds me of GAROKK from X-Men fame... in his rocky prison form

garokk.jpg

Garokk

THE BIGGER THEY ARE...

... the harder you fall! The haunted theme is the best. Contend with bats, vampires, ghoulish skeletons and super quick wolf-men. Check out this 2 by 2 screen level!

OtobokeHaunted2.png
OtobokeHaunted1.png

OtobokeHaunted3.png
OtobokeHaunted.png

FOUR-PLAY

Feeling quite satisfied with the 1-player mode now, which went from meh to hey that's not-so-bad, the 4-player battle mode is the meat of any Bomberman clone. The 1-player mode was never anything more than a bonus, a frill, a silk hankerchief in the breastpocket of the game's velvet regalia

POWER HOUR

Power-up's are always important to these games. Otoboke has some of the coolest you'll find anywhere. A list of some:

-Drop more spiked capsules at one time
-Spiked capsules invisible when dropped
-Spiked capsules exploding after 1 second rather than 2
-Chain can break blocks, not just your shurikens
-Chain can PUSH spiked capsules around (very very evil powerup!)
-Speed up
-Speed down

etc.

Everyone starts with a full-screen chain and full-screen-travelling shurikens, not to mention the ability to drop two spiked capsules right off the bat. This makes it a bit more chaotic then, than Bomberman from the get-go

THE COLOSSEUMS

The powerup's are important but the battle zones make or break a game of this nature. So let's get right to it

Otoboke.png

Your standard 1st stage. The snowmen are unbreakable and can be used defensively as shurikens cut through them not. The snowmen are pushable and your chain can pull far-away ones toward you. All but two battle zones have these movable barriers in some shape or form

Otoboke1.png

Each player has their own island waiting to be raided. The cool thing here is, unless you use the bridge points, chains cannot stretch across islands, eliminating "cheap kills." The Super Famicom barriers are a nice touch as well

Otoboke2.png

What would it be without a roof/tunnel-y stage? Can you locate the green player? Not here you can. This stage is full of Japanese culture -- from the roofing style to the TANUKI statues

Otoboke3.png

What else more could make it complete? Of course, the stage with multiple exit points. The green player enjoys a nice little blend-in advantage (see far right)

Otoboke4.png

The green bars restrict certain movement

Otoboke5.png
--->
Otoboke5A.png

notice the return of Tanuki

The green pool is aesthetically pleasing in a mystical, mythical fashion. All spike capsules are invisible!

Otoboke6.png

It's the super power war zone. Each player begins with 5 spikes! (don't worry, you can't fall through)

Otoboke7.png
--->
Otoboke7A.png

On 1st glance you wouldn't know the gimmick here. Play for a bit and arrows are soon revealed. Directs where shurikens travel? Nope. Directs where your CHAIN can go. A nice variation on top of a nice variation. The SFC barriers return

TAKE A SPIKE, PAL

When the clock runs down to 30 seconds, spikes crop up which if touched will stun you a la shurikens. Also, if you fall through the holes you'll lose

OtobokeSpikes.png

THE TIMES.... THEY'RE A'CHAINING....

Some of the cool things you can do with that ole chain ball...

OtobokeChain3.png

OtobokeChain.png

OtobokeChain1.png

OtobokeChain2.png

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS ENEMIES?

Nothing is quite as sweet as lurking about the screen, waiting for others to do the dirty work. And when you find a stunned opponent, sending the chain ball twisting and curving some safe twenty feet away... makes for great enemies and Ooooh-I'll-get-you-next-round! battles!

The feeling of surviving by the skin of your teeth as the chain comes your way JUST as you recover from your slumber is a great high, and on the flipside, morally deflating

CAN I GET FRIES WITH THAT?

Otoboke lacks the finishing touches and is not nearly as customizable as the Bombermen games. There's no option for CPU AI -- the default is quite laughably horrible. There's no tag team option. Thankfully the rest is status quo -- pick between 2-4 players (from a character choice of four females), 1-5 wins and one of the any eight colosseums

WAITER, THIS SODA'S A LITTLE FLAT

Some negative marks:

Graphically weaker than the SNES Bomberman games, which were no visual tour-de-force's themselves. The music can get annoying at times. Control is a bit "stickier" than the BM games (due to, well, see below)

And my biggest grip: you can't readjust your position when "waiting." You know how you drop a bomb in BM, go hide in a safe corner and can face NSWE to ready yourself for your next movement? Here if you go in facing east, you can't turn west without moving out of your safe position. Maybe hard to understand in text, but you'll see what I mean if you play it. This forces you to have greater wherewithall to compensate for a flaw that shouldn't be there in the 1st place

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Colosseum.jpg

Colosseum at night

I like SPARK WORLD quite a bit, but it was a blatantly shameless clone. At least Otoboke tried to be a little different, and as such, is a more commendable effort. Despite the bad marks listed above, I like Otoboke Ninja Colosseum very much. Obviously NAGA (not as good as) Bomberman, but hey -- what is?

Otoboke Ninja Colosseum (1:15)

Steve

The Wonder Years,
CHAIN GANG

SUPER TEKKYU FIGHT!

I discovered this game during the summer and it took me several months to hunt down. I think it's a safe bet this game is somewhat scarce. Not too long ago we looked at BATTLE RACERS featuring those four SD wonders. And now they're back at it yet again -- in their 42nd SNES game (Not really but it must be damn close)

STFKamen.png
STFUltra.png

STFGundam.png
STFRoah.png

One look and you're thinking "Oh no (or yes), another Bomberman wanna-be." Actually, this one has a slightly different feel from SPARK WORLD and OTOBOKE, for example. Instead of dropping bombs of one variety or the other, you simply bash the others to oblivion with your chain ball

You begin with a short chain. Some power-ups include:

Longer Chain
STFLong.png

Double Chain Balls (now we're talking!)
STFDouble.png

The Almighty Gold Chain Ball
(rips through consecutive blocks in 1 hit)

STFGoldChain.png

THE SUPER DESTROYER!!!! (4-way Chain!)
STF4way.png

Get that baby there and you're sure to rule the match. As you can also see from the pic above, players can nullify each other's attacks with the chain ball. Note that the GOLD chain ball does 2 health bars damage when up-close

NO BOMBS, OK, WHAT ELSE IS DIFFERENT?

Each player has 8 health bars. So battles in STF! tend to be lengthier than your regular Bomberman match. When hit, you're invulnerable for a few seconds, eliminating cheap consecutive hits. "A" makes you jump. If you jump on their head, it stuns 'em for a few seconds. "Y" sees your guy flip the tiles, stunning anyone caught in its path. In this sense, it's a bit like OTOBOKE. Though there, you HAD to stun em in order to kill em. HERE -- it's optional and certainly makes your life easier, but not mandatory

Ultraman flips...
STF-flip.png

Roah is caught and stunned....
STF-stun.png

... easy as 1-2-3
STF-attack.png

When hit, you'll lose the last powerup you had -- the icon goes flying back on the field waiting to be claimed by anyone. This is great since it prevents a potential "ah crap he got Boardwalk and now we're all screwed" type of thing (the above pic shows Roah losing his powerup card)

THAT IS KINDA DIFFERENT...

You betcha and beware where you jump! Each player can jump past 1 square. Each stage has plenty of holes to be weary of. In the heat of the battle it's very easy to misplace a jump and plummet to the bloody rocks down below. However it doesn't ALWAYS spell instant doom. The price is 4 precious health bars

STFSlip.png

Gun.... DAMN!

And don't you hate when you're alone playing 3 CPU's and you die first and have to sit there waiting 2 minutes for the CPU's to kill each other? The programmers have sympathetized with our plight as STF! employs a system where anytime you die, the tiles fall off one by one until 1 CPU is standing. BLOODY SWEET. Give those chaps at METRO a hand *golf clap*

STFExpire.png

Ace scenery eh?

HOW'S THE 1 PLAYER STORY MODE?

If you must know. 6 worlds, with 8 levels each, the 8th being the boss. You're free to pick from any of the 6 worlds. It's not bad. It sorta reminds me of an updated version of TRAMPOLINE TERROR

Enemies from each of the four protagonists' world appear, which is very cool

STF1P.png

Ice to see you har har

STF1P-2.png

Awesome wavy effect in this world

The bosses are huge and pretty damn difficult. Exclusive to the Story mode (1 or 2P by the way) are bombs (hidden in blocks). If you don't have at least 1 for the bosses, life is sure going to be messy

Here are four of the six:

STFBug.png

STFBoss2.png

STFRock.png

And this demon fellow here is my personal favorite. Look how bad-ass he is. Resting 1 hand on his cheek he uses the other to pound the tiles all while emitting laser beams from his demonic eyes. When he is defeated, you're awarded with a satisfying animation of him cracking up... as you get the final laugh!

STFDemon.png

STFDemon1.png

STFDemon2.png

STFDemon3.png

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

But of course. The money of these games are the 4 player battles. STF! has 8 zones

STF1.png

Standard 1st stage except for the arrows which can effect the direction of tile flipping. Enjoy the friendly jumping lay-out here while you can...

STF2.png

The silver blocks are unbreakable. Jumping on blocks will break 'em, but it takes two leaps. Make sure you have a space to land back on!

STF3.png

Arrows act as they do in stage 1

STF4.png

The middle part sends you sliding across

STF5.png

More arrows in a sort of X-shaped field

STF6.png

Forces each player to jump from the get-go... who will be on the attack, who on the defensive?

STF7.png

Lots of solid ground in the middle, and the many blocks are home to numerous power-up's

STF8.png

Ice... with arrows. Note the slippery sections

CLOSING THOUGHTS

The battle zones appear a bit samey to me. They lack the "personality" of some others of this genre. But, the main thing is, the battle system is different; with the jumping, pitfalls, 8 hits... it doesn't really play like Bomberman. Some will like it, others will go crawling back to BM.

I was originally disappointed but the more I played the more it grew on me. And if you ask me to rank where I prefer STF!, Spark World and Otoboke I couldn't tell you. Any three is a fine alternative, with Tekkyu Fight! being the most different.

Yes, the acronym is coming...

It's a nice 4-player battle game but.... NAGA Bomberman

Super Tekkyu Fight! (1:07)