14: Umihara Kawase
13: Clock Tower
12: Rockman & Forte
11: Super Soukoban
10: Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium

#9: GODZILLA: KAIJUU DAIKESSEN

GodzKD2.png
GodzKD3.png

I've been a Godzilla fan since I can remember. I grew up with the Big Guy. Whether he was terrorizing trains and ravaging cities, or pummeling fellow rubber suited monsters and saving the planet, Godzilla has a special spot in my heart even to this day. He's simply timeless, having endured 62 years, 30+ films and counting. This past summer Toho released Shin Godzilla, the first Japanese Godzilla film in 12 years after the 2014 American version was a commercial success. I watched Shin Godzilla twice in theatres and absolutely loved it. It brings an interesting slant on the whole Godzilla universe, and I have a good feeling Toho will be back with another G-Film in the near future. Godzilla also has an anime movie set to come out in 2017, Godzilla 2 (the sequel to Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla) coming out March 2019, and the much awaited rematch between King Kong and Godzilla in 2020 (after Kong gets his own solo film in 2017). Legendary is building its own cinematic universe, similar to Marvel. As a monster lover, I'm all for it!

So growing up you can imagine I was dying for a good Godzilla game to play. I have bittersweet memories of the first Godzilla game on NES. On one hand, I rented it often and I remember the music creeping me out. It was a very flawed game, but it wasn't unplayable. But even as a kid I knew it wasn't good. The sequel was even worse. So when I saw EGM running a preview on a Godzilla Street Fighter II-esque game, I was ecstatic. A North American release was planned (Nintendo Power even reviewed a copy) but sadly it was canned. After my SNES resurrection in early 2006, I hunted down a copy of this Japanese title. I was pleasantly surprised it not only turned out to be good, but as a massive G-Fan I dare call it great. No, you won't find smooth crazy combos here, but considering the source material (these are giant monsters after all) it's hard to hold that against the game. The main thing is the whole presentation of the game. Roars sound exactly like they did in the movies. The sprite work is off the charts, the stages are plucked right out of the movies and the monsters are very accurate in terms of powers. Of course some things were added or re-imagined. Godzilla never shot his atomic breath in mid-air in the films, but it certainly makes for good times in this game. The fighting engine itself is nothing remarkable, but it's solid and gets the job done. When you add in the visuals, the sound and the overall feeling of "monster mayhem" that they perfectly replicated, it's a blast for any Godzilla fan. I only wish there were a few more monsters to select from (i.e. Hedorah, Rodan, Titanosaurus, hell, give me Baragon and Jet Jaguar while we're at it). Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen does the Godzilla name proud. Super Godzilla on SNES was pretty crappy, so thank God(zilla) that this one delivers. At least SNES owners can lay claim to having one solid Godzilla game!

GodzKD.png
GodzKD7.png

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,

50: Battle Cross
49: Mickey Tokyo Disneyland
48: Little Magic
47: Rendering Ranger: R2
46: Violinist of Hamelin
45: Super Back to the Future II
44: Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun
43: Keeper
42: Ghost Sweeper Mikami
41: Go Go Ackman
40: Poko Nyan!
39: Araiguma Rascal
38: Super Tekkyu Fight!
37: Ganbare Daiku no Gensan
36: Power Soukoban
35: The Firemen
34: Super Genjin 2
33: Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World
32: BS Shockman
31: Majyuuou
30: Mickey and Donald: Magical Adventure 3
29: Ghost Chaser Densei
28: Magical Pop'n
27: Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures
26: Pop'n Smash
25: Sanrio World Smash Ball!
24: Spark World
23: Super Bomberman 5
22: SD F-1 Grand Prix
21: Dossun! Ganseki Battle
20: Puzzle'n Desu!
19: Sutte Hakkun
18: Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
17: Pro Yakyuu Star
16: BS Zelda
15: Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban
9: Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen

#8: OTOBOKE NINJA COLOSSEUM

Otoboke15b.png
Otoboke19b.png

Of all the Bomberman clones on the SNES, Otoboke Ninja Colosseum is by far my favorite. Of course there's the typical 1 player "regular game" mode, but it's the 4 player battle mode that is the game's main selling point. It plays enough like Bomberman to provide one with that sense of comforting familiarity, but throws in enough quirks to make it seem at least somewhat different. Different enough that I don't find myself thinking, "I'd just rather play Bomberman." Players drop spiked capsules. These capsules explode after two seconds sending shurikens flying north, south, west and east the full length of the screen. Now here is where the twist comes into play. Unlike the explosions in Bomberman, the shurikens won't kill you. Instead, you're stunned for about two seconds if you're hit. If you're stunned and hit with an opponent's chain ball, you're eliminated from the match. The chain ball stretches the full length of the screen so it's quite possible to sit back in a corner waiting for the opportune moment to strike! Send your chain ball twisting and curving some 20 feet away to kill one of your rivals. It's super satisfying and adds a devious, vulture-like aspect to the game that doesn't exist quite as much in Bomberman.

Needless to say, such shenanigans lead to many "Ooooh I'll get you next round!" battle cries and pandemonium. Nothing also beats the rush of recovering JUST in time right before the chain ball can hit you! Talk about getting a second lease on life. It makes for some good trash talking and the eight various colossems each have a unique gimmick all their own. There's the roof stage where the playing view is slightly obscured. Another stage has arrows which determine where your chain can go (as opposed to the shurikens). One stage has the classic multiple exit points. They're all pretty fun. Of course, the game is not without its flaws. The music isn't anything to write home about and the CPU AI is pretty bad. But Otoboke Ninja Colosseum is still loads of fun, especially if you can round up three friends to play it with. I love Bomberman games and this particular clone does enough to differentiate itself, yet it has enough of that classic Bomberman feel that always hits a sweet spot for me. And how can you not appreciate a game that features mini Super Famicom icons?

Otoboke12.png
Otoboke11.png

Steve

The Wonder Years,

8: Otoboke Ninja Colosseum

#7: DOREMI FANTASY

DoremiFant5.png
DoremiFant13.png

10 years ago this game was once considered obscure. But thanks to positive word of mouth over the years and a 2008 Wii Virtual Console release, DoReMi Fantasy now tops many "hidden gem" and "obscure recommendation" lists. Its reputation is well earned, too. Featuring insanely awesome visuals, haunting sound and ultra smooth gameplay, DoReMi Fantasy is one of the finest SNES platformers you could ever play. Milon from Milon's Secret Castle (NES) is back and better than ever. There are 8 worlds each with their own theme. These worlds range from the Northern Lights (gorgeous levels!) to a madcap toy infested universe. In each world there's a minimum of 6 levels followed by a boss. An overhead map allows you to backtrack. The levels aren't particularly long but they possess plenty of detail, quirky enemies, excellent backdrops and some stellar set pieces. The game's sound is also noteworthy -- it occasionally foregoes music for ambient sound effects instead. It all helps to create a unique world well worth exploring and spending a weekend or two with.

Milon can take up to 3 hits. His suit starts out green, then turns blue when hit and finally red. Jumping on an enemy's head will only stun them. To kill them, you have to first encase them in a bubble and then pop them. It's a slight twist on the ole hop 'n bop routine that works extremely well. Although it's nothing groundbreaking by any means, this slight deviation from the norm is somewhat refreshing. DoReMi Fantasy is an excellent platformer every serious SNES fan should own. Er, well, due to its price point these days I'll rephrase that from "own" to "play." It's a shame it didn't receive a domestic release back in the day but seeing as how it came out March 1996 (the SNES was practically dead in the US by then), it's hard to harp on that much. Personally, I think DoReMi Fantasy ranks right up there as one of Super Nintendo's finest platformers. It's terrific from top to bottom. Milon's silly antics and whimsical adventure is sure to sweep you away to a land of awe and wonder. As a friend of mine once put it perfectly ages ago: "DoReMi Fantasy is about as charming as a video game can be." I couldn't agree more.

DoremiFant8.png
DoremiFant16.png

Steve

The Wonder Years,

7: DoReMi Fantasy

#6: ZEN NIPPON PRO WRESTLING 2:3-4 BUDOKAN

ZenNipBudoGrapple.png
ZenNipBudo24b.png

People often cite Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium as the best wrestling game on the Super Nintendo. I probably agree with that assessment, but as far as personal favorites go, I have to give the edge slightly to Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling 2:3-4 Budokan. The third and final game of the trilogy, the Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling series was Natsume's response to Human's Fire Pro franchise. It features bigger, brighter visuals and almost a "chibi" presentation. Not quite 100% chibi but just enough to give its visuals a semi-striking style. It's simplistic yet vibrant. The ring is viewed dead on as opposed to Fire Pro's 3/4 perspective. This makes for a better "running" system which allows you to lay back and pick your spots with running strikes. You can do running attacks in Fire Pro, but due to its more practical playing view Zen Nippon mastered the devious art of "being a vulture." It makes for some riotous Fatal Fourway matches! Budokan is the best in the trilogy as it features the most wrestlers (19) and the most moves. While there's no blood to be found here, Budokan possesses a subtle and barbaric sense of black humor. Look no further than being able to bounce opponents viciously off the cable ropes (OUCH) or attacking your defeated victim even after the conclusion of a match. Hell, Budokan even features the infamous FLAIR FLOP! Nice.

ZenNipBudo33.jpg

Similar to the Fire Pro games, winning a grapple is based on timing rather than button mashing. While you can't create wrestlers like you can in Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium, the 19 on hand vary in style. You got your high flyers, technicians and bruisers. These 19 wrestlers are actual wrestlers from All Japan Pro Wrestling. Giant Baba, Kobashi, Misawa, Stan Hansen, etc. Their trademark moves are nicely replicated. By the way, if this game looks vaguely familiar to you it's because Natsume took the first Zen Nippon game and converted it for North American audiences during the summer of '94 under the banner of "Natsume Championship Wrestling." My brother and I bought NCW on clearance for $19.99 in 1995 at a Toys R Us. I remember that day vividly still. We managed to get the last slip, too! Remember those classic Toys R Us game slips that you took to the game center to claim your game? Ah, good times. We played Natsume Championship Wrestling to death for a good two years. I always used Asteroid and my brother's go-to guy was mutha effin' M. Roach. As good as NCW is though, it lacks the Fatal Fourway option of Budokan. If you consider yourself a wrestling fan and you like the Fire Pro games, then I highly recommend Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling 2: 3-4 Budokan. Weird name, awesome game.

AsteroidZNPW_zpsysvz4zlw.png

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
On the list or not...I want some Steve coverage of Flying Hero!
^_^

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#5... finally!

Bump. Can a mutherfucka get a TOP 5 !?!?!

LOL! Yes, it's time to polish off the top 5. So sorry about that. I actually finished the list late last year, but was having trouble accessing Neo-Geo.com unrelated. Like literally. It was not working for me for a few days so I just said fuck it. I did however finish the list over at DP, NA and so forth. Then in early 2017 I just fell out of the cycle of checking gaming forums. Work and life got busy yadda yadda. Anyway, decided on a hunch to check unrelated today for the first time in forever and saw this ironic recent bump message by y'all. I have to admit, a little part of me is rather touched that some of you have remembered (and requested) the top 5 to be finished. So, here we go.

I'll post #4 later tonight.

Yes, you can see the final five right now on that link flashback posted above this post, OR you can just check in here daily. #4 coming later tonight. #3 Wednesday morning. #2 Wednesday night. #1 Thursday morning. Cheers!

---

Down to the final five!

6: Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling 2: 3-4 Budokan

#5: TSUYOSHI SHIKKARI SHINASAI TAISEN PUZZLE-DAMA

TsuyoshiUh.png
TsuyoshiSad.png

In the early 2000s I bought a rare Saturn puzzle game by the name of Chibi Maruko Chan No Taisen Pazurudama. It became one of my instant favorites. The bright colors, the whimsical atmosphere and the charming characters really brought that puzzle game to life for me. So when I found out in 2006 that Konami made its "prequel" for the Super Famicom, I knew I had to see if the first game had the magic touch as well. I dare call Tsuyoshi Shikkari Shinasai Taisen Puzzle-dama Konami's best kept SNES secret. It plays like an early beta version of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Select from one of 10 characters, each with their own block patterns, and duel it out to the death. The combos can get rather insane. It's not uncommon to pull off (near) double digit chain reactions. Match 3 (or more) like color faces to make a connection. Think Puyo Puyo but much more forgiving since it's 3 to match rather than 4. It's also made more forgiving because debris come in the form of imprisoned pieces. When you make a match next to an imprisoned block, it releases whatever piece is inside. You can thereby imagine the insane domino effect this may achieve. Sure, some may say it's way too easy to fall into big combos rather than skillfully and masterfully crafting them, but it also makes the battles a bit unpredictable. Skill still wins out (most of the time) but there's a certain luck and timing factor that plays a role too, and I like that actually.

Tsuyoshi-Com5.png
Tsuyoshi-Com5b.png

Unlike many of the other games on this countdown, Tsuyoshi is going for peanuts even in 2016. Literally. I see two copies selling on eBay for a BIN price of $2 as of this writing. Two freaking bucks! (Note: This was originally penned back in December 2016 so it may not apply now in October 2017). It's definitely worth that and more. However, the game isn't without a few blemishes. One, it's a bit weak graphically. Now I know puzzle games aren't known for their impressive visuals generally speaking, but the somewhat drab looking green background seen here isn't all that appealing. Thankfully though, the character animations in the background help to negate this negative somewhat. You feel their emotions when they're celebrating a big combo as well as when they're wincing in pain and anguish. The second noteworthy flaw: the pieces aren't as operational as in other puzzle games. You know how when you have two pieces going down a narrow column you can usually switch them, right? But in this game once you go down a column where you're sandwiched in-between blocks on either side there is no more switching allowed. This may annoy puzzle fans who are used to a little more operational freedom with their blocks. However, it's not a deal breaker for me (obviously since I have it ranked this high). It's still an awesome puzzle game despite these two small blemishes. And in my book it's one of the best SNES puzzle games ever made. It's probably not even a stretch to suggest that this is arguably the best Konami SNES game that barely ever gets any sort of recognition.

ChibiChanCD.jpg
Chibi-Maruko-chan.png

The even superior "sequel" on the Sega Saturn

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
LOL! Yes, it's time to polish off the top 5. So sorry about that. I actually finished the list late last year, but was having trouble accessing Neo-Geo.com unrelated. Like literally. It was not working for me for a few days so I just said fuck it.

It was probably when the site got hacked. Add me to the list of interested people, as well.

Steve

The Wonder Years,

It was probably when the site got hacked. Add me to the list of interested people, as well.

Ah yes, it probably did occur during the time the site got hacked.

---

FINAL FOUR!

5: Tsuyoshi Shikkari Shinasai Taisen Puzzle-dama

#4: TETRIS BATTLE GAIDEN

TetrisBG4.png
TetrisBG20.png

Released on Christmas Eve of 1993, Tetris Battle Gaiden is the best Super Famicom puzzle game never to hit North American shores. If it did back in 1994, there's no doubt in my mind this game today would have been more fondly remembered and heralded as one of the system's finest two player games. It's Tetris with a quirky twist. Choose from one of eight characters. Each one has four different skills and abilities. These skills are activated when you acquire points and decide to "cash in." To acquire said points, you must clear a line containing a crystal. Some blocks contain a flashing crystal. Each cleared crystal grants you one point, and up to four can be held at any one time. The skills and powers range from defensive measures to offensive attacks. Another interesting feature: players share pieces from one queue rather than two. That means you can "steal" a piece your opponent may desperately need. This makes paying attention 3-4 moves in advance all the more critical. Few things are as satisfying as "blockblocking" your opponent. To snatch that long tetris piece right before they can is a true thing of beauty. Well, maybe that's second only to sabotaging the competition with one of your special attacks!

TetrisBGEffect1.png
TetrisBG10c.png

To top the package off, there are two other modes available: classic Tetris with none of that crystal business (for the purists out there who prefer their Tetris sans gimmick) and Rensa. Rensa is where gravity is taken into account and pieces fall if suspended in mid-air (except crystal pieces). This can produce some nice chain reactions. These three game modes are unique enough to make it feel like three games in one. Throw in the eight characters and a total of 32 skills and powers... and what you have is an amazing game bursting with insane replay value. To further enhance the overall appeal of the game, the visuals are impressive for a puzzle game. Bright, bold and rich colors along with some amazing art work makes it one slick looking puzzler. The music is pretty catchy as well and there are a few tunes I'm particularly fond of.

TetrisBGWolf1.png
TetrisBGNinja1.png

How do you make Tetris, a proven classic formula, even better? Bullet Proof Software showed us how. Give us the original Tetris mode but then throw in two drastically different modes, toss in eight playable characters with their own unique special skills and of course round everything off with a dash of that impeccable Japanese charm. While I love me some classic Tetris, the "Battlis" mode here really makes for some entertaining contests that breathes new life into the Tetris brand. If you for whatever reason have yet to play this and you enjoy Tetris in the least, it's a no brainer to try. I can't guarantee you'll like it as much as I do -- I know a few folks who just couldn't connect with either the Battlis or Rensa modes. But hey, there's always the classic Tetris mode if you're more into a no frills kind of Tetris. Myself, I love the added crazy gimmicks of Battlis/Rensa. And it's nice to know I'll always have the original mode in my back pocket for those days I'm feeling super old school. Tetris Battle Gaiden, as far as puzzle games on the Super Famicom go, is the cream of the crop and in a class all its own.

PuyoRemix1.png

PS- Special shout out to Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu Remix... in hindsight that puzzle game (with its four player mode!) definitely deserves a spot on this list.

SuPlayTop24_zpsoir6t8cr.png

Super Play loved it, ranking it #24 on their Top 100 SNES games list

Steve

The Wonder Years,

Note: originally written on December 16, 2016.

#3 is a true "bracket buster." By the way, this post is dedicated to the memory of Craig Sager. He passed away yesterday at the age of 65. The basketball world lost a legendary sideline reporter who touched lives everywhere he went with his infectious smile, positive vibes and outlandish wardrobe. Rest in Peace, Sages.

sager-rest-in-peace.jpg

4: Tetris Battle Gaiden

#3: DREAM BASKETBALL: DUNK & HOOP

DunkHoop2-e1480408294252.jpg

In October of 1994, EGM ran a preview on a Super Famicom street ball title by the name of Dream Basket Dunk & Hoop. It very well might have been my first exposure to Engrish. I just know the funky title immediately caught my eye as did the game pictures (blurry as they were... God were things different back in 1994, lol). I remember thinking I couldn't wait to play it as soon as it hits North American shores. But of course it never did. And then I eventually fell out of favor with the SNES before donating it to my cousin circa late 1998 / early 1999. Years later, 2006 to be precise, I experienced a massive SNES resurrection. I was on the hunt for all my old favorite games, as well as ones I never got to play but always wanted to. One evening my mind recalled Dream Basket Dunk & Hoop. The rest is history. So, what is it that I like so much about this game?

DunkHoop9.png
DreamCT.png

Sure it's got your standard 5 on 5 mode, but what really drew me to the EGM preview was the blurry screenshot of a 3 on 3 street ball mode. At that time I was just beginning my fascination with the sport of basketball (a hobby I would explore deeper in my teenage and early college years). I was always fascinated by the idea of a 3 on 3 street basketball game. This game did not disappoint. While it's got its fair share of flaws (too easy to steal the ball, block shots, hell you can even legally goaltend, and the music isn't too hot), this game is simply mad fun. I've never played a basketball game before where making a shot was so based on timing. Being that it's from Human, go figure, right? If you release the ball at the very peak of your jump, your odds of swishing the shot go up significantly. Likewise, any other deviation from the absolute peak of your jump often times result in a brick (or it may rattle the rim for a bit before going through the hoop). It's a satisfying feeling to time it just right and see and hear that SWISH. Incredibly satisfying. To boot, there are stats and fun energy bars done in a Marvel 1991 trading card style that really connects with me. It never gets old flipping through the players to see how they stack up!

DunkHoop12.jpg
Shaq2.png

The 3 on 3 mode is truly where it's at. In this mode you can play on two different courts, but Human even threw in some little tricks. On one court if you enter SUNSET or YONAKA (Japanese for midnight) then you can unlock exactly that. There's a simple yet elegant gorgeousness to these settings that speak to my soul in ways I cannot explain. Maybe it's because it brings back memories of playing ball with my buddies late at midnight, or even getting up early in the morning playing ball right as the sun breaks over the horizon... those old school memories wrapped up in this old mind... it touches a sweet spot and takes me back to the days where I was balling with my friends without a single care in the world.

DreamCheat2c.png
DreamCheat2.png

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#3 continued

But Human didn't stop there. At the versus screen if you press on the d-pad it will change the color of the courts. Not only can you do up, down, left or right, but in typical Human fashion (think Fire Pro and all its combinations) you can even do up-left, up-right, or down-left or down-right to select all sorts of different colors. Also, you can pick from four different basketball colors. It's just colors we're talking here but it's these little touches that add up to make this one of my all time favorite games, period. Yeah, call me crazy but we all have that one game that clicks deep in our soul for one reason or another that won't click with the masses. It's our special game. Our... spirit animal in video game form, if you will. The NBA Jams and NBA Lives of the world are technically far superior basketball games, but for outright fun I'll take this game over any other bball title on the SNES. That's what I love about video games. There are so many games out there -- you never know when a game that's largely been forgotten and hardly ever talked about grabs your heart by the strings and refuses to let go. It's been 10 years since I bought Dream Basketball: Dunk & Hoop, and I still find myself playing it frequently. Did so again last night in honor of Craig Sager. It never gets old for me. And that's why this completely unexpected "bracket buster" (har har) ranks #3 in my personal book.

DreamGame13e.png
DreamCourt3b.png

I'll admit Dream Basketball is far from the greatest game in the world. But something about it just clicks with my soul. It's almost like it's my "gaming spirit animal" in a weird sort of way. I just know I love it (even if technically it isn't "objectively great") and I can play it for 10-15 minutes at the drop of a hat and be super happy doing so.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Brilliant as always Steve. Tetris Gaiden is one of my favourite sfc games. Just gorgeous. The whole package.

Steve

The Wonder Years,

Brilliant as always Steve. Tetris Gaiden is one of my favourite sfc games. Just gorgeous. The whole package.

Thanks DR! I remember NG member "Liquid Snake" was a huge advocate of Tetris Battle Gaiden. I don't know where LS is these days, but thanks for championing Tetris Battle Gaiden all those years ago (we're talking early-mid 2000s here). I didn't play it until much later but I loved it all the same.

---

Speaking of bRACKET busters...

3: Dream Basketball: Dunk & Hoop

#2: SUPER FAMILY TENNIS

SFTennis9c.png
SFTennis33.png

Unlike Dream Basketball: Dunk & Hoop, I don't have much of a history with this next game. It was never a game I saw previewed in a magazine that I wondered about for 12 years. I bought it as part of a large lot from JapanGameStock back in late 2006 because it was super cheap. I never played it until two years ago. We always hear about how great Super Tennis is and how it's the best tennis title on the Super Nintendo. Super Family Tennis doesn't get much props. So I was completely caught off guard by how AWESOME it turned out to be! I think it's even better than Super Tennis. Let's see, the control is smooth as hell, a four player option is included and some of the court designs are completely bonkers, filled with amusing gimmicks and sight gags galore. Plus it has that inexplicable Japanese charm to it. Look no further than knocking the ball into a tranquil pond in front of a Japanese Shinto shrine (complete with a traditional Torii gate). Or smashing the ball so hard against a coconut tree that it drops a coconut on a bystander's head, completely taking the poor sap out. I always enjoy seeing quirky little details in a video game. It doesn't make a game but it certainly leaves you with a positive lasting impression.

SFTennis25f.png
SFTennis28f.png

The best thing though is how fun it is and how it doesn't take things too seriously. Almost anyone can pick this up and play. It's a lot more forgiving than Super Tennis. When you mess up, you know it's on you and not the controls. It's a total blast with four players and it packs a ton of casual gamer appeal. It's something that your friends or significant other can easily pick up and play even if video games typically aren't their thing. There are 20 characters to choose from all with varying skills and abilities. Nothing's better than making a clutch last second diving save and seeing the ball sail over your opponent's head while just BARELY staying in bounds. Let the trash talking commence!

SFTennis37.png
SFTennis37b.png

SFTennis37c.png
SFTennis37d.png

Last second diving saves that sail over your opponent's head? PRICELESS

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#2 continued

SFTennis41.png
SFTennis30c.png

Interesting to note that this game doesn't really have any music. Instead, it relies on ambient sound effects. And it works. From the soothing crashing waves of the ocean to the echo chamber sounds of the mountain stage, it lends the game a sort of surreal feel. And as an aside, this game was released in Europe as "Smash Tennis." All in all, Super Family Tennis quickly became one of my all time favorites after finally playing it two years ago. At first I thought, "Nah, it's probably just the initial rush of discovering an 'obscure gem' this late into my fandom." After a couple months passed and I found myself constantly playing it with a smile on my face, it reaffirmed to me that this was no flash in the pan. Rather, this is the kind of game (God willing) that I'll probably still play (and love) 10, 20 years from now. It's that good and it's that damn fun (especially in doubles mode and if you can get 3 friends to join). Its wacky sense of humor, outrageous court designs, super smooth control, 20 different characters and surreal sound makes Super Family Tennis a definite smash hit for the entire family.

SuFaTeSP71.png

Super Play ranked it #71 on their Top 100 SNES Games list

---

I'll be back later tonight/early tomorrow morning with the #1 game :)

Steve

The Wonder Years,

Well guys, this is it. We've finally come to number one. Let it be known that there are a crap ton of fun and notable games that didn't make my list. Games like the Parodius series, Flying Hero, Jaki Crush, etc. Again, this list has just been the opinion of one lifelong SNES fan. Whether you thought my choices were appropriate or completely gonzo, I hope you were able to discover a few "hidden gems" to try out yourself one day.

Without further ado...

3: Dream Basketball: Dunk & Hoop
2: Super Family Tennis

EGMOBGolfPre.jpg

#1: BS OUT OF BOUNDS GOLF

BSOoBG42.jpg

My favorite Super Famicom exclusive game of all time is BS Out of Bounds Golf. I've been curious about it ever since I saw EGM's preview of it back in 1994. In early 2006, I got back into the SNES scene and went hunting for a copy. Much to my chagrin it turned out the game was cancelled and never released on a physical cartridge. Alas, it did come out via the Satellaview Broadcast device... a Japanese downloading service in the late '90s. But there are, ahem, ways to circumvent that. So what makes BS Out of Bounds Golf so awesome? Up to four players can compete and you have the ability to knock your opponent's ball out of bounds (hence the name of the game). Of course, knocking them out of bounds will cost them precious stroke points. Or even just blocking their path is wickedly fun and devious. The battles get competitive and cutthroat like few other SNES multiplayer games. And because one player plays at a time, it's a more methodical multiplayer experience which I find works refreshingly well. There's a ton of strategy, scouting and sabotaging. It's Schadenfreude at its finest (or worst...)

BSOoBGModes.png
BSOoBGChar.png

There are three modes to select from, as well as 12 characters. Among these 12 characters include two felines. That right away tells you the developer (NCS, who also made Cybernator) didn't take themselves too seriously. Back in the mid '90s, golf games tended to be on the dull side. This one was full of personality and had it been released in the US back in 1994, I'm sure that we would see it appear on many SNES recommendation lists today.

BSOoBGCT2.jpg
BSOoBGMeter.jpg
BSOoBGMeter1.jpg

After selecting your character you get to pick your theme. There are six themed worlds in all, with eight courses to each theme. There are 48 courses total. They range from a beach setting to outer space. What makes this game so much fun is the amount of options you have. Just look at the process of hitting the ball. First, you select from a power meter of 1 to 100. This becomes oddly compelling in its own right. Do you use 47 or 52? 77 or 79? 91 or 95? Sometimes one point off can prove to be the difference between glorious victory and crushing defeat. It's a thrill to see your ball barely crawl into the hole. On the flip side, nothing is more embarrassing than misjudging the power meter by one point and seeing your ball stop a mere centimeter shy of the goal! After selecting your power, you then get to choose from one of 17 (!) different strike points on the ball. Much like pool, these strike points will determine the trajectory of your shot. While you'll be using the dead center shot most of the time, there are plenty of instances where using a trajectory shot skillfully is essential to winning. It's kind of like a game-within-a-game. You're not only battling three rivals but you're battling yourself as well. And it works like absolute gangbusters!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#1 continued

BSOoBG20.png
BSOoBG20b.png

Check this out. One spot. But four different ways to make the shot. Such is the game's brilliance. First way: straight ahead shot.

BSOoBG22c.png
BSOoBG22g.png

Second way: curving to the right.

BSOoBG24b.png
BSOoBG24e.png

Third way: curving to the left.

BSOoBG26b.png
BSOoBG26c.png

Fourth way: trick shot city -- off the plate bumper ricochet into the cup. Beautiful!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
#1 continued (again)

There are even weather effects and power ups. Gift boxes are strewn across the courses. Touch one and get a random power up. There are at least 11, ranging from being able to control your ball after hitting it to randomly switching all the balls in play. That means you could possibly swap places with a rival who is near the cup and send them way back to the beginning of a course! Like I said earlier, sabotage is the name of the game. It gives it a Super Mario Kart-esque feel. Also, each of the 48 courses have four different cup destinations. These are randomly generated so you can't master a course simply by memorizing a certain playbook. It speaks to the game's brilliance that there are nearly 200 possible scenarios. Add in the 17 strike points, the power meter, the power-ups and you get a game that feels slightly different each time you play it. Oh and don't even get me started on some of the short cuts on some of the courses. More shades of Super Mario Kart, which is never a bad thing ;)

BSOoBG29.jpg

Not much else needs to be said about BS Out of Bounds Golf. I absolutely love it and find it to be a total riot with three friends in tow. Expect a lot of cursing, laughing, cheering and taunting. It brings out the best and worst in people and it's kind of amusing to see individual personalities come out in their truest forms. There's no other game quite like this on the SNES. By the way, a fan translation recently came out (February 2016) so what little Japanese there was is now all in English. The game is entitled "I Love Golf" which I find to be highly appropriate. I love BS Out of Bounds Golf, and if you haven't played it yet, I think there's a good chance you will, too.

On a final note, I recently played this game with my girlfriend. She loves it! Everyone I've introduced this game to has enjoyed it a lot as well. It's a shame more people are in the dark when it comes to this game. Imagine if it were included on the SNES Classic Edition. Alas, seek it out if you haven't already. It's got charm and class in spades. Even the most casual of gamers end up hooting and hollering. It never fails!

Thanks for joining me on this top 50 countdown. Can't believe I started this topic over 11 years ago. Damn, time flies. Take care everyone!

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Glad to see this list finally finished! I'm pretty surprised that the number one spot is a golf game.

I've noticed that a few games are the Satellaview games. Any idea how those were preserved after their original release?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wow a golf game? Goddamn.

Well anyway how about a Steve real life update, how you been man?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Glad to see this list finally finished! I'm pretty surprised that the number one spot is a golf game.

I've noticed that a few games are the Satellaview games. Any idea how those were preserved after their original release?

Yeah, most people didn't expect a golf game to finish #1... except those who know I have been championing that game since 2011, lol. Mainly at other boards so a lot of people when it got to #2 were like "We all know what his #1 game is going to be..." lol. As for how they were preserved, your guess is as good as mine. But I'm glad they were.

Wow a golf game? Goddamn.

Well anyway how about a Steve real life update, how you been man?

I've been good. Recently got a new job (left the old job of 5 years for increased pay and benefits) and recently entered a new relationship. She's cool. And accepting of my gaming hobby. Even partakes. She loved the golf game and most recently we've been tackling Goof Troop together, lol. So yeah man, just enjoying life and where I'm at. I always thought I would be married with at least 1 kid by now, but it's all good. I have a loving GF, I have a great new job, I'm still working on my site RVGFanatic on the side (just published a review for Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the new-as-of-2016 URL -- I originally wrote it 10 years ago!) and I'm still playing SNES after all these years. Also, I've had my work published in a handful of gaming books the past couple years. The latest one being Jeffrey Wittenhagen's NES Compendium. Even showed my GF it and she was in awe of it. Feels good to have a partner you can share your deepest dorkiest shit with and she's cool with it all. Hell, she even loves Godzilla and we recently had a night viewing of Frankenstein Conquers The World. She was even into pro wrestling at one point. She also loves horror movies -- it's almost like the "perfect" match for me, lol.

Anyway, enough about me. What's been up with you, Sage?

Last edited: