Want to get a GP2X but is there a reason I shouldn't?

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Want to get a GP2X but is there a reason I shouldn't? I feel the only draw back is the lack of a hard drive. Switching memory cards sounds like something I dont want to do, I mean I can put few things on a 4 gig card but not that much. Anyone got one and have any other feelings about it please let me know cuz I want to get something portable I can watch movies on and play games.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
a 4GB SD should hold plenty of stuff. If you're thinking about videos taking up lots of space, well, most people re-encode them to scale them down to a size that fits perfectly on the GP2X's screen, which will reduce the filesize a lot.

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
You'll only have to re-encode the video if it's space you're worried about.

The gp2x encodes the video to fit on the screen iirc. And if you encode it then you couldn't really use the video out option to it's full potential.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
kingbuzzo said:
You'll only have to re-encode the video if it's space you're worried about.

The gp2x encodes the video to fit on the screen iirc. And if you encode it then you couldn't really use the video out option to it's full potential.
That's true, but it's been proven (check the GP32X forums) that when the GP2X has to scale video, the battery life drops a whole lot. IMO given the GP2X's existing battery life, it can't afford to lose any more.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Yeah there is one good reason. PSP.

There is better emulation on the psp. If that is what your at least looking for.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
DanAdamKOF said:
That's true, but it's been proven (check the GP32X forums) that when the GP2X has to scale video, the battery life drops a whole lot. IMO given the GP2X's existing battery life, it can't afford to lose any more.

is the battery life bad? I heared somewhere that its like 6 hours? Is that inaccurate?

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Thanks for the replies, I think the battery life is low but is enough for a while. Does anyone else got any helpful suggestions post them up I wanna get it but now hear all the slugs are being ported to PSP or should I say PSPiece of shit, no offence to any PSP fan I give the system props but needs more original titles and less ports.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
So does anyone got one and a PSP so they can say if it sucks because of the lack of game because the only games you can play on it are romz.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There are original homebrews for it too, not just ROMs. My favorites are spout and Zooov.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Thanks Dan I didnt know that, the forum they have for the system isnt very big. But I am also drawn to developing your own stuff for it if you can.